AR kit ordered, need scope recommendation - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

AR kit ordered, need scope recommendation

I just ordered a 20" bull barrel AR kit from Del-Ton, and I need a recommendation for some glass. I've got between $600 and $700 to spend and I want something that will work out to about 250 yards. What fits the bill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 02:00 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

What are you going to do with it?
I like the Acogs on an AR for a little bit of distance, this one by Trijicon is nice as well.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

It'll be mostly for punching holes in paper, but I may do some hunting with it. I'm planning on mounting a bipod on it, so most shooting is going to be done from a bench.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Lifer

Just put a good Nikon on it.

I'd go with this and be done:

http://swfa.com/Nikon-3-9x40-Buckmas...pe-P42255.aspx
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Well, as it turns out Del-Ton didn't have everything in stock like they said they did when I called yesterday and this morning my order was on indefinite backorder. So, I called and cancelled it and decided to check out the local gun store. They had a Rock River flattop that's had about 100 rounds through it for $800 with two mags and the original case. I jumped on it and hopefully I'll be able to take it out and shoot it later today...just got to get the Christmas shopping done first.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 12:36 AM
Time Served

Iron sights work great out to 200 yards. They also never need batteries. They also work well in the event of zombie attacks (because electricity will go first) and they are also superior in darkness especially if you get tritium sights.

Scopes are for long range daytime use rifles, which this one might be.... but if it is not, I would choose iron everytime.

My long range daytime rifle has peep sights, and a scope, but I'm silly that way. And yes, I can use both without removing or adjusting anything.

Do I even have a rifle.... I don't really remember.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:28 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
Iron sights work great out to 200 yards. They also never need batteries. They also work well in the event of zombie attacks (because electricity will go first) and they are also superior in darkness especially if you get tritium sights.

Scopes are for long range daytime use rifles, which this one might be.... but if it is not, I would choose iron everytime.

My long range daytime rifle has peep sights, and a scope, but I'm silly that way. And yes, I can use both without removing or adjusting anything.

Do I even have a rifle.... I don't really remember.
You forget to mention standard iron sights are completely useless at night. A good scope is still useful at night.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 08:12 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

That is why I plan to pick up at some point a decent NV scope for mine and make my own IR flood light.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Well, I picked up a 3-9x40 nikon yesterday and then had a fun time trying to get it mounted. The rear sight was not of the removable type, and I needed about 1.75" of rise on the rings. I wound up using an inch tall weaver riser with some see-through millets. It looks kind of dumb, but it allows me to continue to use the irons for shorter range shots.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
You forget to mention standard iron sights are completely useless at night. A good scope is still useful at night.
Did I say I'd put standard iron sights on an AR? If I had an AR.... which I may or may not, it would have tritium filled sights. They work both day and night.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

I've been meaning to post these pics for a few days. As you'll be able to see in the second picture that it's got the RRA UTE2 upper which has non-removable sights. It took a riser and some see-through Millet rings to be able to get the scope high enough so the rear sights wouldn't interfere with getting the scope mounted. It doesn't look the best, but in the end the scope isn't much, if any higher than it would be if I had put it on a standard A2 upper and there's just enough clearance to still be able to use the irons.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement