School me in optics. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

School me in optics.

Looking for a nice scope for a long range rifle, however I know nothing about optics. Where do I start?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

Last edited by MotoMan; 11-22-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:41 PM
dee
Lifer

If its gonna be just for punching paper I'd go with a fixed power like a 10x50 or something like that.If hunting with it also go witha variable power as far as brands it depends on how much coin you want to throw down a general rule is 1/4 of what the rifle is worth is how much to spend on optics. If I could I'd get a NightForce, US Optics or Schmidt and Bender.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

It would be used for target shooting and hunting. I know optics will be everything, so I'm willing to put some coin into a scope. Long story short, my step-cousin is the former rifle coach for the Airforce Academy and he told me if I build a rifle fit to myself then he'd teach me to shoot.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:49 PM
dee
Lifer

I'd go with one of the ones listed above also don't forget about a good set of rings. Alot of hardcore bench shooters true the rings before the scope goes in.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Time Served

What kind of rifle are you building? Give us the details. Can't really reccomend a scope without it. Also what kind of shooting and what positions do you plan to shoot in?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Factory Issue

Greg: remember to look for scopes with reticules on the first focal plane. They scale accurately with their respective levels of magnification. I'm supposed to go to a tac rifle course with a co-worker in the spring. Want to tag along?

Give me a dollar.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESmith View Post
What kind of rifle are you building? Give us the details. Can't really reccomend a scope without it. Also what kind of shooting and what positions do you plan to shoot in?
It's going to be a custom built rifle (McMillan style stock, fluted barrel,etc) mostly to shoot a .308.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Greg: remember to look for scopes with reticules on the first focal plane. They scale accurately with their respective levels of magnification. I'm supposed to go to a tac rifle course with a co-worker in the spring. Want to tag along?
That would be badass, shoot me the details.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:57 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

Depends on the amount of cash you want to drop, and what type or who is building the rifle. I am a big fan of Nikon glass for the cost vs value, but on that note I would not stick a $500 scope on a $3000 custom rifle either.

If I was dropping some cash on a serious long range rig, or custom rifle my first choice would be Schmidt and Bender then Night Force then US Optics then Swaro.
If I was just hunting or plinking I would stay with Nikon.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
Depends on the amount of cash you want to drop, and what type or who is building the rifle. I am a big fan of Nikon glass for the cost vs value, but on that note I would not stick a $500 scope on a $3000 custom rifle either.

If I was dropping some cash on a serious long range rig, or custom rifle my first choice would be Schmidt and Bender then Night Force then US Optics then Swaro.
If I was just hunting or plinking I would stay with Nikon.
Beautiful rifle, what brand is it?

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 12:02 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Beautiful rifle, what brand is it?
Kampfeld custom built on a Remington 700
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Old Fart

What budget?

Super Sniper? $350

Burris Black Diamond? $800

Leupold MK IV? $1400

Nightforce NXS? $1800

Zeiss Diavari? $3000

Schmidt and Bender? $3800

Tactical shooting will have faster turrets, like 1/2 MOA or 1MOA, whereas a long distance target scope, 1/8MOA adjustments. You give up speed for fine tuning.

Fixed power scopes are cheaper, generally more durable, and adjustments are more repeatable. But in bad lighting or you need a wider FOV(field of view), you want to scale back the magnification.

Mirage becomes an issue at higher magnifications. Even with the high end scopes. Heat from the barrel will throw off the scope.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT98SVO View Post
What budget?

Super Sniper? $350

Burris Black Diamond? $800

Leupold MK IV? $1400

Nightforce NXS? $1800

Zeiss Diavari? $3000

Schmidt and Bender? $3800

Tactical shooting will have faster turrets, like 1/2 MOA or 1MOA, whereas a long distance target scope, 1/8MOA adjustments. You give up speed for fine tuning.

Fixed power scopes are cheaper, generally more durable, and adjustments are more repeatable. But in bad lighting or you need a wider FOV(field of view), you want to scale back the magnification.

Mirage becomes an issue at higher magnifications. Even with the high end scopes. Heat from the barrel will throw off the scope.
Not totally sure what I'll spend on the optics, most likely I'll keep it under $2K. I've taken a look at some of the Night Optics products and I really like what they have to offer but I'm just now starting to look. I have no clue what barrels cost but the stock I like is going to run right around $700 itself. When it's all said and done, the entire setup will most likely cost between $2500-$3000.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Factory Issue

Don't forget to run whatever part number you have selected through google shopping. I found a Mk4/LRT 4.5-6x50 with M1 turrets for $975 once that way. That's like $600 off MSRP.

Give me a dollar.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Don't forget to run whatever part number you have selected through google shopping. I found a Mk4/LRT 4.5-6x50 with M1 turrets for $975 once that way. That's like $600 off MSRP.
Hey fool I'm at work still 7. I'll hit you up tonight.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 06:06 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Not totally sure what I'll spend on the optics, most likely I'll keep it under $2K. I've taken a look at some of the Night Optics products and I really like what they have to offer but I'm just now starting to look. I have no clue what barrels cost but the stock I like is going to run right around $700 itself. When it's all said and done, the entire setup will most likely cost between $2500-$3000.
Buy the Remington 700 action and send it off to Kampfeld. You can get compelte, finished custom minus glass for $2500 just like the one I posted.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:13 PM
dee
Lifer

Quote:
Buy the Remington 700 action and send it off to Kampfeld. You can get compelte, finished custom minus glass for $2500 just like the one I posted.
+1 I've heard alot of good things about the Kampfeld rifles.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Old Fart

Zeiss Conquest 6-20x is 1in scope for 800-1000$ that is excellent. My brother shoots this and it is awesome bang for buck.

F class shooters will have several scopes to try depending on conditions.

Several reticles to choose from. Dot, mil-dot, range compensating(Swarovski, Burris, Nikon), fine duplex, illuminated.

Sightron is coming out with 1/8MOA dot SIII. But it is more of a target scope than a tactical scope.

You can get a Leupold 45x for 1k. Getting it "boosted" to 60x is an option.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Time Served

Take a look at these, My hubby swears by them he had one on his last tactical and will be outfitting every long range rifle he has with them. True 1 shot zero if shooting from a bench. Accurate range finding. And most of all does not break the bank.

About 2 years ago he was shooting with a friend at Alpine and at 100 yards, with 4 shots he hit 3 of the thumb tacks holding up his target, the 4th he missed by < 1/4 inch.

http://www.shepherdscopes.com/
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:46 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama_Queen View Post
Take a look at these, My hubby swears by them he had one on his last tactical and will be outfitting every long range rifle he has with them. True 1 shot zero if shooting from a bench. Accurate range finding. And most of all does not break the bank.

About 2 years ago he was shooting with a friend at Alpine and at 100 yards, with 4 shots he hit 3 of the thumb tacks holding up his target, the 4th he missed by < 1/4 inch.

http://www.shepherdscopes.com/
I have heard mixed reviews on the Shepards. Most I have heard in the past said that while they live up to what is advertised anything over 200m is hard to acheive. The optics are not up to par past that range, the recticle is cluttered, and have heard stories of them falling apart on harder recoiling rifles.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Time Served

Quote:
I have heard mixed reviews on the Shepards. Most I have heard in the past said that while they live up to what is advertised anything over 200m is hard to acheive. The optics are not up to par past that range, the recticle is cluttered, and have heard stories of them falling apart on harder recoiling rifles.

He was shooting his on a savage .308 (accu-trigger, free floated barrel with a recessed crown) with no problems (but that rifle didn't recoil too hard either). Never had any problems out to 300, but never shot anything farther. He says if a person is easily distracted it can seem cluttered, if you can focus in on what you are doing he never had a problem.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama_Queen View Post
He was shooting his on a savage .308 (accu-trigger, free floated barrel with a recessed crown) with no problems (but that rifle didn't recoil too hard either). Never had any problems out to 300, but never shot anything farther. He says if a person is easily distracted it can seem cluttered, if you can focus in on what you are doing he never had a problem.
That scope is just silly.

Give me a dollar.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Lifer

If you want a premium scope, you're gonna pay a premium price.

My Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x NP1-RR scope is the best one I have. I also have a Nikon on my varmiter, and a very good Tasco on my .17 HMR.

My Nightforce is mounted with a Nightforce base ($100) and Nightforce rings ($250).

This is just like any other question. You have to make your decision on what you're gonna do with the gun and how much you're willing to spend. Everyone will have varying opinions, so go test drive a few scopes at SWFA and pick one you like.

My Nightforce scope cost me as much as my Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8G VR lens did!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement