Anyone seen/shot/own an Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Licking the windows!
 
MireFire 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In the tall grass with Snake Doctor
Posts: 3,283
Anyone seen/shot/own an Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf?

Just watched a show on the Military Channel that showed it. Fucking bad ass...
.50 upper that you can change in 30 seconds in the field that gives those using it the ability to completely disable moving vehicles. Really strange looking .50 round that it uses.

http://www.alexanderarms.com/beowulf.htm

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
MireFire 2.0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Banned
 
DOHCTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Waco
Posts: 5,539
It looks cool and I like the idea, but all these different companies keep releasing these fad caliber AR15s that I believe wont be around in 10-15 years.
DOHCTR is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 AM
老师
 
Neiladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: OKC
Posts: 12,120
They make quite a few pretty bold statements in that description. Wonder if the weapon can back them all up.
Neiladin is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:38 AM
UNFUCKWITHABLE
 
Strychnine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Putting the sensual in nonconsensual since 1984
Posts: 12,482
I'm pretty sure someone here on the board owns one [or did at one time]... but I can't remember who it was.


.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Strychnine is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Factory Issue
 
Yale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 12,295
Any upper can be changed in 30 seconds in the field.

Give me a dollar.
Yale is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Licking the windows!
 
MireFire 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In the tall grass with Snake Doctor
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Any upper can be changed in 30 seconds in the field.
I know that, I was saying that the main product is an upper only. They sell the complete rifle also, but it's cool to be able to carry around a 7lb product in your duffle bag that in 30 seconds can pop those big bitch rounds.

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
MireFire 2.0 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:22 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE
 
Strychnine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Putting the sensual in nonconsensual since 1984
Posts: 12,482
Jedi had/has one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
I bought mine as a complete rifle (overmatch). I have swapped in the upper to my rock river lower, but I generally keep them complete and in the safe.

I haven't had any feeding issues or other consistency problems in the 3 years / 1000+ rounds I've had it. They are likely using too little/light of lubrication or need to clean the gas block. For all my AR's and specifically the Beowulf I am using Machine Gunners Lube from tacticalsprings.com. Keep it 'wet' and you won't have any problems.

The only problem was the cost per round. Storebought was 20 rounds for $30, but you can generally only get the 334g. If you want the 400 you either have to buy someone elses reloads or do it yourself. Reloading has allowed me a full range of weights and has put me into a lower feeding cost, but if I wanted an economical round I'd shoot something else.

I was initally concerned about the round being rifle specific, but there will always be someone around to sell the components to reload. Make sure you get a die set and you'll be good to go - relying on storebought would be a mistake.

If you are looking for a long distance / high knockdown round - this isn't it. A Beowulf has the ballistics of a 12ga slug up to 200 yds, then it eats dirt. I generally shoot at 75-150 yds, but I destroyed a VW bug at 25. That was fun


.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Strychnine is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:30 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiladin View Post
Wonder if the weapon can back them all up.
Doubtful. LOL @ them claiming it to be the greatest CQB round ever.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:40 PM
None
 
Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Anti-Newbie
Posts: 12,675
If it was Future Weapons, thats like saying Horsepower TV gives accurate information.

I love being able to absolutely destroy something with a rifle, not just poke a bunch of holes in it. I wish we had taken pics of the bug - the engine block was litterally shattered after just a few rounds. Against flesh - uhm, lets just say that the hogs I've shot so far with it weren't in any condition to be photographed. It wasn't pretty

It's a bitch to shoot though, you are pushing a huge round (334g or larger) and that energy has gotta go somewhere. The AR action can only take some of the sting out. It's got a really sharp kick that will beat your ass if you don't have good shooting form. The first day I shot it I put 20 rounds through and had shoulder problems for a month and thought about selling it. Only after talking with one of the guys at AA did I learn that I was trying to pussy foot around like a virgin teenager with his first time - not the monster dicked porn star with the hot new starlet. After that it became a lot easier.

Biggest problem is ammo availability. You cannot find commercial ammo easily. Cabelas used to be pretty good about having a few boxes on hand, but that's dried up and they have stopped carrying it as I know. I have a friend who lets me use his reloading setup and my dies, but the brass is also running short. I've reuse brass, but I don't like constantly recycling no matter how good it looks - gotta have fresh stock from time to time.

Until AA fixes their ammo supply issues, I'd hold off on dropping any change on it - sucks to have a rifle that you can't shoot.

But when you shoot - oh baby.
Jedi is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Licking the windows!
 
MireFire 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In the tall grass with Snake Doctor
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
If it was Future Weapons, thats like saying Horsepower TV gives accurate information.

I love being able to absolutely destroy something with a rifle, not just poke a bunch of holes in it. I wish we had taken pics of the bug - the engine block was litterally shattered after just a few rounds. Against flesh - uhm, lets just say that the hogs I've shot so far with it weren't in any condition to be photographed. It wasn't pretty

It's a bitch to shoot though, you are pushing a huge round (334g or larger) and that energy has gotta go somewhere. The AR action can only take some of the sting out. It's got a really sharp kick that will beat your ass if you don't have good shooting form. The first day I shot it I put 20 rounds through and had shoulder problems for a month and thought about selling it. Only after talking with one of the guys at AA did I learn that I was trying to pussy foot around like a virgin teenager with his first time - not the monster dicked porn star with the hot new starlet. After that it became a lot easier.

Biggest problem is ammo availability. You cannot find commercial ammo easily. Cabelas used to be pretty good about having a few boxes on hand, but that's dried up and they have stopped carrying it as I know. I have a friend who lets me use his reloading setup and my dies, but the brass is also running short. I've reuse brass, but I don't like constantly recycling no matter how good it looks - gotta have fresh stock from time to time.

Until AA fixes their ammo supply issues, I'd hold off on dropping any change on it - sucks to have a rifle that you can't shoot.

But when you shoot - oh baby.
It wasn't Future Weapons...but something similar, it was like a top 10 for military weapons and all based on man portable firepower (The Javalin was the only thing that beat it)

I am pretty sure this was the round they were firing on the show - next to last on the right hand side.

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
MireFire 2.0 is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 02:43 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 12,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0 View Post
Just watched a show on the Military Channel that showed it. Fucking bad ass...
.50 upper that you can change in 30 seconds in the field that gives those using it the ability to completely disable moving vehicles. Really strange looking .50 round that it uses.

http://www.alexanderarms.com/beowulf.htm
I researched these.. it's not worth getting into a proprietary ammo, low magazine capacity, and relatively short range weapon - although really cool it's unfortunately unpractical.
CJ is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 11:27 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I researched these.. it's not worth getting into a proprietary ammo, low magazine capacity, and relatively short range weapon - although really cool it's unfortunately unpractical.
What he said.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 07:03 PM
None
 
Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Anti-Newbie
Posts: 12,675
If it's your only rifle, absolutely.

But, if you have a collection it's no different than other wildcat rounds. "Worth" is in the eye of the beholder - it's a personal choice based on your situation.
Jedi is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 45
If I was looking for a AR upper I would go with one of these, got all the stoping power ya need in a 50 BMG and fits on a standard ar-15 lower.



The Bohica Arms FAR-50 MK-III has arrived! The most cost effective .50 BMG upper receiver on the market can now be yours for the price of $1,295. Simply pin our upper to your existing AR-15 lower receiver and experience the power of the .50 BMG!
Chambers:
- 50 BMG
- 50 MATCH
- 50 DTC-EDM Spec
- 416 Barrett ™
- 338 Lapua Magnum
silver_2000_TJ is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Got Lateral G's??
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Your mirror about to pass your ass!
Posts: 9,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_2000_TJ View Post
If I was looking for a AR upper I would go with one of these, got all the stoping power ya need in a 50 BMG and fits on a standard ar-15 lower.



The Bohica Arms FAR-50 MK-III has arrived! The most cost effective .50 BMG upper receiver on the market can now be yours for the price of $1,295. Simply pin our upper to your existing AR-15 lower receiver and experience the power of the .50 BMG!
Chambers:
- 50 BMG
- 50 MATCH
- 50 DTC-EDM Spec
- 416 Barrett ™
- 338 Lapua Magnum
That would be a shoulder breaker. There is probably a reason it's only a single shot!

The additional $2,000 for a Barrett will keep you out of the hospital and save money over the long run!



Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
aggie97 is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 09:49 PM
None
 
Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Anti-Newbie
Posts: 12,675
You couldn't pay me to shoot that bohica in .50 at its base setup. Maybe with the longest barrel, a substantial brake and a stock filled with some lead.

Even then that'd be a bitch to shoot. AT least it'd keep feed costs low since you'd never shoot more than 10 rounds in a session.

I'd be far more likely to get the .338 version.
Jedi is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 AM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Any upper can be changed in 30 seconds in the field.
And that's blind folded with arthritis.

You should be able to take a lower/upper apart in under 5 seconds.
03trubluGT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome