Smith and Wesson Advice Needed! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Smith and Wesson Advice Needed!

I recently came across a form that allows U.S. Military (active/retired) to purchase one firearm per year at a 40% discount.

Currently I do not own any firearms but am in the market for a CC and a shotgun for home defense.

Any advice or experience with S&W firearms? For resale purposes I was looking at the 1911's and the AR's. Neither are what I was particularly looking for BUT at the same time this is a smoking opportunity... I could always pick up another next calendar year.

All I need to do is locate a dealer back home and get a FFL... and they will hold the firearm for me.

Okay enough rambling... kick me some advice, some do's and do nots... but don't bother asking me to pick up a gun for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 06:51 AM
Lifer

1. Post a scan of the form.

2. S&W M&P AR rifles are supposed to be pretty good.

I have never owned a S&W 1911, but I've owned two .40 cal semi-autos and one revolver. The S&W revolver is one of the best made. I'd love to have a 6" barrelled 686.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Slingin rock on da corner

You mentioned in the post wanting a CC. Concealed Carry?

If so, their M&P line of weapons is hard to beat. Good shooting guns, a cut above their Sigma line, especially where the trigger is concerned, IMO.

Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to kill them.

God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMCev View Post
sass me again and see what happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
I knew you were a titty hating fag the moment I met you.

2007 Harley Davidson Street Bob
2003 King Ranch F-150

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 08:36 AM
OC
Lifer

Like 03trubluGT said....PLEASE scan the form and post it up.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 09:38 AM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfodysvn View Post
All I need to do is locate a dealer back home and get a FFL... and they will hold the firearm for me.
Where in DFW are you from? I might have a FFL that will do this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

I'm from Lawrence Ks, I got onto this board via Abilene when I worked 130's out of dyess.

I'll try and get that form up here today... who's active or retired military?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
1. Post a scan of the form.

2. S&W M&P AR rifles are supposed to be pretty good.

I have never owned a S&W 1911, but I've owned two .40 cal semi-autos and one revolver. The S&W revolver is one of the best made. I'd love to have a 6" barrelled 686.
I have had a S&W 586 6" for a long time, fantastic revolver with no problems.......
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I'm from Lawrence Ks, I got onto this board via Abilene when I worked 130's out of dyess.

I'll try and get that form up here today... who's active or retired military?
I'm a Vet, I wonder if I could qualify?????
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Me too X2
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Time Served

If you get the AR go MP 15 tactical which I have seen for around 1300-1500$ but with that discount it would be a great deal. There are 3 models and that one is the top.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Time Served

If you are thinking about resale value ... don't. New guns lose value almost as bad as new cars. Get the gun you want and keep it, Very few guns appreciate in value unless you keep them a very long time.

That being said... S&W pistols hold their value better than the rest. Especially J-frame snubbies. You can get almost new prices for them. There seems to be no love for used S&W autos. They make terrific autos, but just not much a used market for them. Ditto on bolt action rifles, most are re-badged Japanese Howas and don't command a great price. I can't comment on S&W AR's. I really haven't kept up with the used prices on them.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
You can contact their service department, but at this time you would not qualify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helosailor View Post
Me too X2
Same as above... only active and retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by arix View Post
If you get the AR go MP 15 tactical which I have seen for around 1300-1500$ but with that discount it would be a great deal. There are 3 models and that one is the top.
Thanks for the input... do you own this firearm? Also the 40% would apply to the price from the S&W website

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESmith View Post
If you are thinking about resale value ... don't. New guns lose value almost as bad as new cars. Get the gun you want and keep it, Very few guns appreciate in value unless you keep them a very long time.

That being said... S&W pistols hold their value better than the rest. Especially J-frame snubbies. You can get almost new prices for them. There seems to be no love for used S&W autos. They make terrific autos, but just not much a used market for them. Ditto on bolt action rifles, most are re-badged Japanese Howas and don't command a great price. I can't comment on S&W AR's. I really haven't kept up with the used prices on them.
Thanks for the info on the used gun market. It seems like many of the Glocks/Springfields bring a decent return when they are resold...but I don't follow the market much.

Thanks again for the input. I was looking for people with experiences with S&W.

I was hoping someone had owned a shotgun or 2 off of them. Everyone I knows shoots Remington or Binelli. I could probably be happy with an 870 or even a moss... but I'm trying to use this discount if possible.

Thanks again and here is my attempt to atttach the form.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Military VIP Form - 10-21-2009.pdf (254.4 KB, 64 views)
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Lifer

I've owned my S&W M&P15 16" A3 with removable carry handle for close to two years now. Not one failure. It has been an awesome rifle and would highly recommend one.

1957 Chevy Belair
1953 M38A1

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the used gun market. It seems like many of the Glocks/Springfields bring a decent return when they are resold...but I don't follow the market much.
Don't know where you are seeing that. The market for the last year has seen some people paying stupid prices for guns, but that ship has sailed. Prices are falling fast.
Quote:
Thanks again for the input. I was looking for people with experiences with S&W.
Owned almost a hundred of them thru the years. Down to six at the moment.
Quote:
I was hoping someone had owned a shotgun or 2 off of them. Everyone I knows shoots Remington or Binelli. I could probably be happy with an 870 or even a moss... but I'm trying to use this discount if possible.
If the discount is 40% off MSRP then it's not much of a discount. You could go to the Dallas gun show and get nearly that off the Bachman table. Stay away from S&W marked shotguns. Like their bolt action rifles, the are cheaply made by someone else. Not S&W quality.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I recently came across a form that allows U.S. Military (active/retired) to purchase one firearm per year at a 40% discount.

Currently I do not own any firearms but am in the market for a CC and a shotgun for home defense.

Any advice or experience with S&W firearms? For resale purposes I was looking at the 1911's and the AR's. Neither are what I was particularly looking for BUT at the same time this is a smoking opportunity... I could always pick up another next calendar year.

Okay enough rambling... kick me some advice, some do's and do nots... but don't bother asking me to pick up a gun for you
Can i have link to the form? I have two friends in the National Guard that would be interested.

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

the form is in post 12... they need to be active. I doubt NG or Reserve will work unless they are currently active at this time.

Thanks again for the info from everyone.

JESmith you say the prices aren't good...

Can you get the M&P15-22 for $342 anywhere?( I like this because of the price of ammo)
M&P45 for $455 brand new?
M&P15 for $842

I'm just asking honestly because I don't know the best places to buy online to price check....
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Lifer

Quote:
the form is in post 12... they need to be active. I doubt NG or Reserve will work unless they are currently active at this time.

Thanks again for the info from everyone.

JESmith you say the prices aren't good...

Can you get the M&P15-22 for $342 anywhere?( I like this because of the price of ammo)
M&P45 for $455 brand new?
M&P15 for $842

I'm just asking honestly because I don't know the best places to buy online to price check....

Gunbroker.com says those prices can't be beat.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Time Served

I stand corrected. Those prices are very good. Honestly I had not checked the S&W website in a while. They have brought their prices down considerably. Last time I checked, their MSRP was around 30% over street price. This would have meant a net discount of only 10-15%. Good but not great. A quick unscientific check shows their MSRP now to be only around 20% over street price. So yeah this is a good deal.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 PM
mannish boy

if you get 40% off once a year, I'd be buying the most expensive "desirable" gun I could afford!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
if you get 40% off once a year, I'd be buying the most expensive "desirable" gun I could afford!
Cooter, I was thinking the same thing. I still need it to be functional for me... that's why I asked about the AR's and the 1911's
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Lifer

I just emailed S&W and asked if this discount applies to LEOs.

I'll post up when I get an answer.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Time Served

Post back when you get the LEO answer.

Thanks,
Eric

93 Black Mustang GT

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Post back when you get the LEO answer.

Thanks,
Eric
I got an email:

Hello,

No, that program does not apply for LE Officers. We have a different program that you would qualify for. Please call 800-331-0852 ext.3364 and ask for Dave Upton. He will be able to assist you.

Regards,

Dave

I called Friday and got his voicemail, so I sent an email to him. I haven't heard back as of yet..
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 10:55 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
I got an email:

Hello,

No, that program does not apply for LE Officers. We have a different program that you would qualify for. Please call 800-331-0852 ext.3364 and ask for Dave Upton. He will be able to assist you.

Regards,

Dave

I called Friday and got his voicemail, so I sent an email to him. I haven't heard back as of yet..
you get free shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement