Insurance? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Insurance?

Anyone carry insurance on there collections? Last time I priced it out years ago it was cost prohibitive, but the collection has grown to such a size now that I need to figure out a way to cover fire/theft.

If anyone has any first hand knowledge please post up.

LPC: 56152
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I know my home owners insurance covers the fire part as goods inside my home. I don't know about theft, but I think it is the same as my fire protection. I think that I will look in to that though and double check.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isi_man_ica View Post
I know my home owners insurance covers the fire part as goods inside my home. I don't know about theft, but I think it is the same as my fire protection. I think that I will look in to that though and double check.
All home owners policy's that I have looked at specifically deny coverage for firearms theft, fire or otherwise. Most 3rd party policy's I have come across are in the .15 per $100 of value range which just seems way out of line to me.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 02:17 PM
LUCIFER

Some cover I beileve, or you have to add a specific coverage policy for firearms along to your existing homeowners policy

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtheman1 View Post
Some cover I beileve, or you have to add a specific coverage policy for firearms along to your existing homeowners policy
I know separate coverage can be added but the premiums are ridiculous. The point of this post was to see if anyone could suggest something reasonable. The best rates I have been able to find for $75,000 of coverage were around $10,000 which is nuts as far as I'm concerned. The guns are well protected in safes so if I can go 7 years without an issue my premiums would have paid for the collection.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Lifer

I havent found crap. So I just bought some safes worth a fuck if something goes wrong for the rare/expensive shit to be stored in.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I havent found crap. So I just bought some safes worth a fuck if something goes wrong for the rare/expensive shit to be stored in.
That's what I figured but was hoping that maybe I was just overlooking something. Purchased a couple safes years ago when I came to the conclusion that insurance was going to be a no go. With everything in safes now I'm not so much concerned of theft as I am of fire.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Old Timer

You can get a Personal Property Rider, however they are a little expensive.

OR you can go out and buy one of those $2000.00 gun safes at Cabela's and bolt it to the floor, then spend the money for a home security system. If someone can get your safe before the neighbors get pissed off that the siren is going off, and before the cops show up, good to them. (Those 2000 dollars safe are heavy and you just can't hide them while going down the street)

2006 Mustang GT
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Time Served

From the Texas Department of Insurance

B. Coverage for Firearms.

The ISO HO 00 03 policy limits the coverage for firearms to losses by the peril of theft with a maximum limit of liability of $2,500. (See Section I- Property Coverages, Coverage C-Personal Property, Special Limits of Liability, item f.) The HO-B provides coverage for firearms to the extent described under the Perils Insured Against section of the policy, including the peril of theft, up to the limits of liability that apply to Coverage B (Personal Property).

I would seriously consider fireproof gun vaults in your situation. Like these

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...cSearched=true

Motherjuggs has been doing insurance longer than me so maybe she will have some insight
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 07:35 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeC5 View Post
All home owners policy's that I have looked at specifically deny coverage for firearms theft, fire or otherwise. Most 3rd party policy's I have come across are in the .15 per $100 of value range which just seems way out of line to me.
I know my state farm home owners insurance covers up to $2500.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 07:35 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama_Queen View Post
From the Texas Department of Insurance

B. Coverage for Firearms.

The ISO HO 00 03 policy limits the coverage for firearms to losses by the peril of theft with a maximum limit of liability of $2,500. (See Section I- Property Coverages, Coverage C-Personal Property, Special Limits of Liability, item f.) The HO-B provides coverage for firearms to the extent described under the Perils Insured Against section of the policy, including the peril of theft, up to the limits of liability that apply to Coverage B (Personal Property).

I would seriously consider fireproof gun vaults in your situation. Like these

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...cSearched=true

Motherjuggs has been doing insurance longer than me so maybe she will have some insight
welp, there you go, that must be the reason.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I think everyone except David has missed what I'm asking... I have fire resistant safes that everything stays in and I don't need $2500 worth of coverage. I was needing to cover a collection not A firearm or part of one. I was hoping that maybe there were some other serious collectors here that had run across/knew something I didn't.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 11:42 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeC5 View Post
I think everyone except David has missed what I'm asking... I have fire resistant safes that everything stays in and I don't need $2500 worth of coverage. I was needing to cover a collection not A firearm or part of one. I was hoping that maybe there were some other serious collectors here that had run across/knew something I didn't.
I understand exactly what you are asking, for regular home owners insurance it isn't going to work. However, must insurance companies can insure any item with a separate policy. However my experience is you have to prove it's collectible and they might have age/use requirements for those.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 01:48 AM
Gone but never forgotten

depending on the policy/company, there will be a limit or a complete exclusion on fire arms unless they're specifically listed and premium paid for said listed items covered.

Call your agent, and even double check with the companies corporate office on any limits and exclusions that pertain to your specific policy type.

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 01:49 AM
Gone but never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I understand exactly what you are asking, for regular home owners insurance it isn't going to work. However, must insurance companies can insure any item with a separate policy. However my experience is you have to prove it's collectible and they might have age/use requirements for those.
appraisals, photos, and the type of police vary greatly....

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." ~ Frederick Douglass
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Time Served

Google your insurance company and firearms. Interesting.

http://gunowners.org/op0231.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement