DFW Mustang Forums banner

Cheap .22 Rifle and / or pistol

7K views 40 replies 27 participants last post by  Dacotua 
#1 ·
What are some reasonable deals for .22 pistols and rifles? This would be for kids to use and I would want something cheap. Growing up my dad had a .22 revolver and semi auto .22 rifle that I could plink with all day in the back yard (he lived in the country). I would like to have something like that for the boys for when we go up to Leah's grandmother's.

BTW, bolt action rifle would be okay too, if they can be found cheaper.

#6 ·
They look pretty small based on the kids they show. This would be for a 13 and 12 year old. Those kids look about 8 and the gun looks small for them. :p

That's cool though, I just take one of them up to the store with me when I do it to have them try out the size.

#5 ·
#40 ·
You have a lot of options Chili, but if you want a semi auto then Academy has some great deals.

The mossberg plinkster is priced at $109, and I have never heard anything bada about them-
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...s_rimfire&start=0&selectedSKU=0351-01883-0010

Hope this helps
My dad has a Plinkster with a little BSA scope, that little thing is badass. It's a little tack driver, and he only paid 80$ for it with the scope, from a pawn shop though.

I would recommend it.

#11 ·
lemme know craig, i have a 10/22, a marlin semi, a (i think its a winchester) lever-action, and a (something) pump action .22 rifle. You and the boys are more than welcome to test out any of them. you got my number bro.

god bless.

#13 ·
I may take you up on that. I think the soonest we will be going back out to the country with the kids is around Christmas. i'll hit you up before then.

#20 ·
They haven't been stainless in quite a few years - the receivers - the barrels are still stainless. I do have one of the recent stainless models, it is in fact an aluminum receiver that has been painted. I removed the paint and put a brush finish on it, looks stainless now. Outside of the stainless model all of the recent 10/22's are still about the same quality from what I've seen. I personally would not recommend an old 10/22... you have to be careful with .22's specifically, because since ammo is so cheap, it's quite easy to buy a used 10/22 that has been shot 100,000 times - and you don't want that. .22's are about the only gun I recommend buying new.

#28 ·
Really? I have 2 in my case that where not cleaned since they where new in 1975. I bought both of them recently, took them to the range, and had no problems. Yes they are clean now.

I had one just like it when I was a kid in 74. I used it every week, if not every day (summer time) I gave it a good cleaning, maybe once a year. But I did clean the barrel every time I used it.

#21 ·
Another vote for a Ruger 10/22. Hard to resist getting one considering the aftermarket accessoriesthey have. I did have a Remington Nylon 66 that I got from my uncle. I regret getting rid of it for sentimental reasons but it can't compare to the fun I have with the 10/22, some extra magazines, and the red dot sight I have on it :D

Haven't made up my mind what I want for a .22 LR pistol though :(

#22 ·
same here. I bought several 25rd magazines for my 10/22, a tapco AR stock, a red dot, and a competition 2lb trigger and it's a blast to plink with. And with all of that crap included, I still spent less than I would have if I bought a GSG-5.

#41 ·
I'd recommend a Marlin 60 or Ruger 10/22 (For someone who really wants a 22).

Personally, I'd probably get the kids a BOLT ACTION 22, just so they don't shoot the crap out of stuff. It will teach them to aim and not spray and pray.

For a hand gun, Id recommend an American Heritage Rough Rider at Academy. They are $99.00 (Revolver with a 22 LR cylinder and 22 mag cylinder).

But again, its totally up to you what you get your kids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.