Weekend surprise... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Token Troll

Weekend surprise...

So, my folks were coming up to visit and I asked my dad if he wanted to go shooting while they were here. He said sure, I'll bring my "old semi-automatic". Which I found odd, since I didn't know he had one. So they arrived yesterday and me and Dad eventually get to talking and shows me his gun. Its a Walther PPK.

I'm like, cool, how often do you shoot it? He says he never has shot it. But he gave it to a friend to clean up and that guy put a couple of rounds through it, then cleaned it up some more. Never having handled it, I asked him for the owners manual (I told him to bring it up with him). He hands it to me and its rather old...and all in German. Uh, Dad?

Long story short, it was my Grand-dad's (what I called my Grandpa). He "obtained" it during WWII.

Now I'm all curious and with dad in tow hit Google. With this lucky hit, find out some history. In short, its a Nazi police edition PPK. Eagles with a "C" and "N"s. S/N 384878 K

Holster with gun in it & manual

Manual unfolded

Eagle near trigger, "C"

Eagles on barrel and Slide, "N". N on slide is worn off, and N on barrel is barely visible.

Holster, with spare mag in pocket. Darker mag is what was in the gun

Zoom on mag

Serial number, or something, in holster:

We went ahead to go the range today because he wanted to shoot another gun. Then the moment...and he wanted to shoot the Walther.

So, we loaded 5 in it, then he took aim. I cringed, just waiting for the thing to turn to dust after the first shot, but it performed flawlessly. We ended up putting 20 through it, with me doing the last 5. It was a nice little gun, being a .32 ACP (7.65mm), there wasn't much kick, at least, compared to my XD.

In a sense, we shot some history. I'm sure my dad has connection with it being tied to his dad, and me...well...just the thought that its nearly a 70 year old gun and was probably used by someone in the Nazi regime, was just...dunno the words...wow.

We drove home, talked about it, decided we could make up some stories about Grand-dad, the gun, and tie it to his Bronze Star, just to really juice up the history behind the gun. Grand-dad never did talk about the war. Dad alluded that he'd pass the gun along to me one day, but for now its his to do with.

We had fun the rest of today, topping off the night by taking the kids out to Fall Festivals. I just got done field stripping the Walther and giving some good TLC after today.

Oh...and the gun's still in great shape.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 01:20 AM
Lifer

Nice man! And cool story to go along with it. I love historical stuff like that. Very cool.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 01:10 AM
Lifer

Awesome and keep shooting it! A gun is not worth having unless you shoot it. Many will disagree but why have it if you cant enjoy it? Guns are not to be just looked at.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Banned

That is wicked cool. When I saw the pictures the James Bond theme played in my head... but then I saw the war eagle stamps and that nazi war march from Indiana Jones drowned out the Bond music.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Lifer

Nice story. I hope that another relative doesn't beat you to the gun when the time comes to hand it down.

That's what happened to a friend of mine. He lost a P08 because another relative beat him to his recently deceased dad's house and raided the firearms. The P08 was quickly sold for drug money.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Rolling with the homies

Nice story and nice find. If you've got pics post them up! Let's see what this bit of history looks like.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
Nice story. I hope that another relative doesn't beat you to the gun when the time comes to hand it down.

That's what happened to a friend of mine. He lost a P08 because another relative beat him to his recently deceased dad's house and raided the firearms. The P08 was quickly sold for drug money.
No worries there. Besides my mom, I'm the only one that knows about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
Nice story and nice find. If you've got pics post them up! Let's see what this bit of history looks like.
I've got pics posted in the original thread. Can everybody see them?

There's links to this album:
http://ghosttx.myphotoalbum.com/view...umName=album39

Just looked, I think the site is undergoing maintenance...

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Lifer

Badass!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Lifer

that thing is in great shape.!

when the turbos are spinning ,you ain't winning...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 04:00 PM
The first, the original

Reminds me of how I felt when I shot my Enfield for the first time. Can't describe the feeling. US PROPERTY 1942 stamped on it. It most definitely saw combat...maybe the guy on the other end of your pistol at one point...who knows...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Lifer

Nice holster.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Rolling with the homies

Weird, I didn't get the pictures earlier when I looked and replied. Very nice.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Every day is.............

Great story, and really cool gun.

David
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Time Served

WW2 German pistols

My father in law died at the age of 88 in 2005. He was all over Europe in WW2. He was with the bunch that Patton kicked out of his Army because of som rift with Pop's commander. He was in the 7th Armored I think. He was at St Low during the Battle of the Buldge. In fact, my deceased wife was born while they were under seige. He did not see her until she was over 2 years old.

Toward the end of the war, his scout unit captured a German convoy of about 100 men and trucks. He said the Germans were ready to give up and not be captured by the Russians. Being the ranking Non Com, he disarmed two German officers. He got a Luger and a P 38 and all the web gear. He also took a 32 automatic off a German Major when the same scout group captured and liberated a small German prisoner camp. Earlier in the war he picked up a Gold plated 32 automatic from another officer they captured. He threw that one away one night a little later when they thought they were going to be captured. Several in his group had things they picked up, but all got rid of them. He said it was not a good idea to have German things and get captured.

Pop always promised bothe the Luger and the P38 to me, but I said for him to hang on to them while he could still enjoying showing them to friends and re living the old stories. Shortly after my wife died from Cancer, pop was diagnosed with the same disease. Before he died and was in somewhat of a stuper, his ASS HOLE brother talked him out of the Luger. I did end up with the P38 and a WW2 vintage Kaki shirt with all the patches and medals. I still have the memories of the stories he would tell. They were in som BAD scrapes. He told me that at St. Low they thought they would all be killed.

All the heros of that age are about gone. Whe at a nursing home or anywhere else you see an old guy wearing his ball cap that indicates he was in WW2, go speak to him and shake his hand and thank him for what he did. They WILL appreciate it. After all, they gave us what we have.......
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Lifer

My dad played with and lost all my grandfathers gun and shit he brought home.

All I have now is photo albums, german officer daggers, and shit stolen from museums.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Lifer

cool post thanks for sharing.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Time Served

Cool story bro! And I really mean it, not being a troll here. Never sell it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement