Prvi Partizan ammo - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Every day is.............

Prvi Partizan ammo

Anyone ever use it?

I purchased two 50rnd boxes of .45 230GR FMJ for ≈ $21.xx per box. This is brass cased and non-corrosive, so it sounded like a decent price. I've asked two people and neither have heard of it, but the web is full of info on the company. Apparently the Wolf Gold is made and branded from Prvi.

I took my hand gun out for only the second time shooting and did MUCH better this time, but had 2 FTL's. Both were the last round in the mag and both times the round made it to the ramp but never loaded completely (left a nice dent in the brass). I de-magged and both rounds fell out (didn't want to "bump" the slide, trying to chamber the round, then shoot a bent round). I was shooting two different brands of JHP and it happened to both brands in different mags.

The RO told me that the gun probably just isn't broken in yet. The Prvi ammo is shipping today and will arrive tomorrow. I'll try it and report, if anyone is interested.

Thoughts?

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:21 AM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajet69 View Post
Anyone ever use it?

I purchased two 50rnd boxes of .45 230GR FMJ for ≈ $21.xx per box. This is brass cased and non-corrosive, so it sounded like a decent price. I've asked two people and neither have heard of it, but the web is full of info on the company. Apparently the Wolf Gold is made and branded from Prvi.

I took my hand gun out for only the second time shooting and did MUCH better this time, but had 2 FTL's. Both were the last round in the mag and both times the round made it to the ramp but never loaded completely (left a nice dent in the brass). I de-magged and both rounds fell out (didn't want to "bump" the slide, trying to chamber the round, then shoot a bent round). I was shooting two different brands of JHP and it happened to both brands in different mags.

The RO told me that the gun probably just isn't broken in yet.

Thoughts?

David

What kind of gun?

Can you take a picture of the feed ramp?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
What kind of gun?

Can you take a picture of the feed ramp?
It's the Kimber Gold Match I posted about earlier (see the "Lucky Me" thread).

I'm sure I can get a shot of the ramp when cleaning, would that matter or does it need to be assembled?

David

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 AM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
It's the Kimber Gold Match I posted about earlier (see the "Lucky Me" thread).

I'm sure I can get a shot of the ramp when cleaning, would that matter or does it need to be assembled?

David
Just pull the slide back and take a pic of the ramp from the ejection port. Also might be helpful if you too a picture of the ramp part on the frame when disassembled.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:41 AM
dee
Lifer

Kimber's say a breakin of 500 rds I believe on some of their guns is required. I would look in my manual but don't feel like going digging through the safe.
And btw pri ammo is ok have some for the wifes .380 never had a problem with it I rank it right up there with wolf and monarch but monarch seems to be a lil dirtier.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
Just pull the slide back and take a pic of the ramp from the ejection port. Also might be helpful if you too a picture of the ramp part on the frame when disassembled.
If I can find the time to run some of this new ammo through it this week, I'll do that when I clean, if not it'll be next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
Kimber's say a breakin of 500 rds I believe on some of their guns is required. I would look in my manual but don't feel like going digging through the safe.
And btw pri ammo is ok have some for the wifes .380 never had a problem with it I rank it right up there with wolf and monarch but monarch seems to be a lil dirtier.
My manual says the same thing but they never mentioned any FTL. I guess it's just SOP for a new gun!?

David
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 12:17 PM
dee
Lifer

Quote:
If I can find the time to run some of this new ammo through it this week, I'll do that when I clean, if not it'll be next week.

My manual says the same thing but they never mentioned any FTL. I guess it's just SOP for a new gun!?

David

Yea I've heard of it with a few people that have Kimbers mine been fine since I bought it the only rounds I've ever had a problem with were some lead RN rounds that were loaded for a revolver. They would get hung on the feed ramp almost every time mine cycles everything else just fine.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yea I've heard of it with a few people that have Kimbers mine been fine since I bought it the only rounds I've ever had a problem with were some lead RN rounds that were loaded for a revolver. They would get hung on the feed ramp almost every time mine cycles everything else just fine.
Yeah, the guy at the range I went to (Shooters Club) said that it's pretty common for high end guns because of the tighter tolerances in the components. He suggested messaging the gun with a dremel (as long as I felt comfortable doing that), or he could do it for only $25. I'm pretty sure he'll be doing that for me the next time I'm in there. I don't believe I want to wait for 500-800 rounds to break in the gun.

BTW - Those are some really good people at Shooters Club.

David
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 02:39 PM
dee
Lifer

I don't know if i'd massage any thing I'd rather shoot it. Just my opinion though
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:02 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Yeah, the guy at the range I went to (Shooters Club) said that it's pretty common for high end guns because of the tighter tolerances in the components. He suggested messaging the gun with a dremel (as long as I felt comfortable doing that), or he could do it for only $25. I'm pretty sure he'll be doing that for me the next time I'm in there. I don't believe I want to wait for 500-800 rounds to break in the gun.

BTW - Those are some really good people at Shooters Club.

David
Yeah, DO NOT let them dremel your pistol! Take some pics of it and figure out what is going on before you do that. The break in dosent really have anything to do with the ramp and feeding. More getting the rails to where they need to be.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Time Served

I use this stuff all the time, they make sum good 8mm hollow points, and 5.45 its good ammo, a bit pricey but try finding another supplier for 5.45 or 8mm apart from wolf?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Gunga galunga

Don't mess with the feed ramp.

What magazine are you using? The stock kimber mags aren't all that great, I use wilson tacticals with great success in my CDP. Try some different ones and see what works best.

Make sure the extractor is tuned properly, search around here for the procedure, its simple.

Also as mentioned the Kimbers are tight and do need to be broken in, and don't be afraid to run it very well lubed. From what you are describing I have my money is on the magazines.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 08:02 PM
dee
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford View Post

What magazine are you using? The stock kimber mags aren't all that great, I use wilson tacticals with great success in my CDP. Try some different ones and see what works best.

Make sure the extractor is tuned properly, search around here for the procedure, its simple.

Also as mentioned the Kimbers are tight and do need to be broken in, and don't be afraid to run it very well lubed. From what you are describing I have my money is on the magazines.
I run all Kimber mags throuh my CDP and have never had a problem.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:50 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
I run all Kimber mags throuh my CDP and have never had a problem.
Every 1911 is diffrent. Some run great on GI mags, others need Wilson or Tripp mags to run right.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford View Post

All mags are Kimber. One was a blue mag I purchased from the store where I got the gun and the other was a polished SS that came with the gun. I was wondering if it might in fact be the mags. The new ammo arrives today and I'll shoot a 50 box and see what happens, and if I get another FTL, I'll try a Wilson on the next box. I'll also look at the web site and tune it a little. Thanks for the info.

I'll also wait on the dremel - glad I asked lol.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement