Going back to revolver for conceal carry - DFWstangs Forums
View Poll Results: Should I carry revolver or semi?
Carry a revolver 6 19.35%
Carry a semi auto 25 80.65%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Going back to revolver for conceal carry

I'm tired of the mag release getting pushed and popping the mag out inadvertently. I also don't want to worry about having to hit the mag back in place if I ever need the gun.

Should I go back to carrying a revolver for conceal carry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Banned

My dad just got one of those tiny 5 shot titanium smith and wessons, and I love it. It is close to an ipod in weight and is incredibly slim.

I like the idea of carrying a revolver. You know it will work every time you need it, no matter what. I have never owned an automatic small caliber pistol that never jammed on me. My dad used to carry one of those Sigs that looks like a walther, and the other day at the range the first mag he put in jammed the damn thing twice.

As soon as my chl comes in the mail I will probably end up buying a small smith j frame or a Ruger LCR.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

What gun are you carrying? I have NEVER had a problem with the mag release being pushed and a magazine popping out. Im carrying an XD45 in a crossbreed super tuck. The tuck has the combat grip which 1/2 the inside mag release is covered by the leather. I dont see any way to push the inside mag release.

The outside release is completely exposed but you would have to push it pretty hard against something for it to release the mag.

What gun and what holster are you using. Also, what position do you carry at?

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:34 PM
I miss Colorado

Like Doc mentions, the Ruger LCR is a neat little pistol. Its the first polymer frame revolver.

The only bad thing about those super light weight guns is its gonna kick like a freaking mule.

I am 100% behind a carrying a revolver. Nothing to get in the way, and its not going to jam. You simply pull the gun out, point, and shoot. Its that simple.

'79 malibu 4speed.
'74 Datsun 260Z 302chevy/TKO500 swap in progress

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Lifer

All comes down to maintenance and gun design for you application of carrying.

Ive had revolvers jam and Ive had semi autos jam. Ive never had a mag release get tripped unless Im doing it myself. Typically helps to know your weapons and it design means.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Ive had revolvers jam and Ive had semi autos jam. Ive never had a mag release get tripped unless Im doing it myself. Typically helps to know your weapons and it design means.
WTF were you shooting? An old RG 38?

I've never seen a modern wheel gun jam on factory ammo, and I used to carry one every day on duty. I have seen cases get stuck in the cylinder on hot hand loaded stuff, but you should never carry home made rounds for concealed carry.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:26 PM
que?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
My dad just got one of those tiny 5 shot titanium smith and wessons, and I love it. It is close to an ipod in weight and is incredibly slim.
that's what i carry all the time .38+p
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:26 PM
T-MINUS

Probably not a bad idea. I just always like have more rounds to distribute fairly.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

The gun this is happening with is a Springfield XD40 subcompact. The mag release gets pressed during regular body movement like bending or sitting. It happens with or without a holster and happens with my other semi autos. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen and I don't like worrying about it.

I'm also considering carrying 2 small revolvers. I should have added a "Carry 2 revolvers" option to the poll.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
The gun this is happening with is a Springfield XD40 subcompact. The mag release gets pressed during regular body movement like bending or sitting. It happens with or without a holster and happens with my other semi autos. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen and I don't like worrying about it.

I'm also considering carrying 2 small revolvers. I should have added a "Carry 2 revolvers" option to the poll.
You could just carry one and a speedloader if you are worried about 5 rounds of .38+p not killing someone.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 04:16 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
You could just carry one and a speedloader if you are worried about 5 rounds of .38+p not killing someone.
The S&W 642 (j frame, .38 spc, hammerless, Airweight) comes with a factory Hogue grip that does not allow the use of a speed loader.

I carry my 642 all the time in my pocket. It's comfy and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Oh yeah, I PREFER to carry a semi-auto, but work attire does not always make that possible, so the revolver gets the nod more times than not lately.

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Lifer

try a glock

RON PAUL '08
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post

I can't say I've ever had that problem before. And this is going back into the early 90's and carry Glock's and 1911's in various IWB holsters. What kind of holster are you using? I prefer a Kydex one and currently own several Comp-Tac holsters that completely cover the trigger area.

I have a small 2" barrel Taurus M85 but I wouldn't want to carry it concealed over my Glock 27. Yes you can carry an extra speed loader but I'm not proficient with it and it's no where near as quick as slapping a magazine into a semi-auto pistol.

Are you a big guy or a skinny guy? I just can't figure out how you would accidentally be hitting the magazine release. I'm betting a change of holsters would fix your problem.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
The S&W 642 (j frame, .38 spc, hammerless, Airweight) comes with a factory Hogue grip that does not allow the use of a speed loader.

I carry my 642 all the time in my pocket. It's comfy and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Oh yeah, I PREFER to carry a semi-auto, but work attire does not always make that possible, so the revolver gets the nod more times than not lately.
WTF?

I have one:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...04&isFirearm=Y

And I carry two speedloaders that work just fine.

LOL at all the electric gun fans....
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Lifer

I carried a bobbed-hammer, 5-shot .38 Smith (when we weren't supposed too). 100% reliabilty. If you can't hit 'em with 5 rounds, go back to the range!

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
I carried a bobbed-hammer, 5-shot .38 Smith (when we weren't supposed too). 100% reliabilty. If you can't hit 'em with 5 rounds, go back to the range!
I agree. I never understood the, "I need 15 rds to stop a mugger" mentality. In all scenarios I can imagine pertaining to concealed carry, 5 shots are adequate. I am not a police officer and will never see an intense John McClain shootout (I know ill get a few "YOU NEVER KNOW DUDE!1!!"s on this one).

And thanks for clearing up the speedloader thing Trublu, good to know the small smiths can use them.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 06:07 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post

I've never seen a modern wheel gun jam on factory ammo, and I used to carry one every day on duty.
It happens. If you shoot dirty ammo and let unburnt powder flakes and soot and sweat build up, it can lock up the cylinder.
Quote:
I have seen cases get stuck in the cylinder on hot hand loaded stuff, but you should never carry home made rounds for concealed carry.
Oh, why not?
Quote:

I've got a Model 60 with the factory Hogue grip that presents no problem with a speedloader.
Quote:
I agree. I never understood the, "I need 15 rds to stop a mugger" mentality. In all scenarios I can imagine pertaining to concealed carry, 5 shots are adequate. I am not a police officer and will never see an intense John McClain shootout (I know ill get a few "YOU NEVER KNOW DUDE!1!!"s on this one).
Yeah, YOU NEVER KNOW DUDE!1!! I carry either my Model 60 and 2 speedloaders (15 rounds) or my Glock 29 and 2 Glock 20 magazines (41 rounds). If you've got the extra pocket space, you might as well use it imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Lifer

These are the Safariland CH7 speedloaders. I carry 2.

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned

Nice revolver. How hard does that thing kick with +p ammunition?
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Lifer

It's not painful, but it's a substantial kick. You need to hold onto it with a sturdy grip when shooting +P ammo. I really like shooting .38 wadcutters through it.

As to be expected, recoil is more than a .38 special round, but not as much as a snub nose with a .357 Magnum round.

I have faith that the .38 +P will put a subject down.

If not, I have a total of 15 round on me at all times.
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
It happens. If you shoot dirty ammo and let unburnt powder flakes and soot and sweat build up, it can lock up the cylinder.Oh, why not?I've got a Model 60 with the factory Hogue grip that presents no problem with a speedloader.Yeah, YOU NEVER KNOW DUDE!1!! I carry either my Model 60 and 2 speedloaders (15 rounds) or my Glock 29 and 2 Glock 20 magazines (41 rounds). If you've got the extra pocket space, you might as well use it imo.
You notice I said "...carried...", past tense. I currently carry an XD9...in case 5 rounds aren't enough to get them away from me.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 08:52 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:

Your grips are different from mine. I'm cleaning mine right now and will post pics as soon as I'm done...

Also, I have an HKS speedloader. So, 2 differences right off the bat. I am looking for grips that will allow the use of a speedloader, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open for them.

post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

I have the same grips as him (dunno why I thought they were Hogue; doesn't have a brand name on them anywharz) but with the HKS speedloaders you have - 36? Absolutely no problem with them, even with the slightly longer .357 Magnums.

Quote:
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Ok, pics of mine...I did notice that I can force the speedloader into position, but I'm afraid it may cause damage to one or more of the rounds. It doesn't just slip in.

post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:27 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
I have the same grips as him (dunno why I thought they were Hogue; doesn't have a brand name on them anywharz) but with the HKS speedloaders you have - 36? Absolutely no problem with them, even with the slightly longer .357 Magnums.
Yep, #36 HKS speedloader...I also noticed that the button to pop out the cylinder seems to be a bit in the way, but I'm not 100% certain.

Here is a pic minus the speedloader so you can see the difference in the grips...

post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Lifer

if my life was on the line the last thing i want to have to do is reload my weapon,even with a speed loader.

RON PAUL '08
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:44 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Yep, #36 HKS speedloader...I also noticed that the button to pop out the cylinder seems to be a bit in the way, but I'm not 100% certain.

Here is a pic minus the speedloader so you can see the difference in the grips...
Mine doesn't hit, and it's basically the same frame.

*It took a little practice the first few times to get a feel for it. It didn't just drop right in, I had to wiggle it around some, but now it slips in nice and smooth.

Go ahead and take that out of context, BTW...

Quote:
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:53 PM
I. Am. God.

Quote:
Mine doesn't hit, and it's basically the same frame.

*It took a little practice the first few times to get a feel for it. It didn't just drop right in, I had to wiggle it around some, but now it slips in nice and smooth.

Go ahead and take that out of context, BTW...
lulz.

1994 Cobra Pace Car For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56482
only on DFWstangs...
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:

I've never seen a modern wheel gun jam on factory ammo, and I used to carry one every day on duty. I have seen cases get stuck in the cylinder on hot hand loaded stuff, but you should never carry home made rounds for concealed carry.
Dont know what it was. Cartridge went at the extractor groove and wouldnt let the wheel spin.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 11:52 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

I've never seen a revolver jam.
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:35 AM
que?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot To Kill View Post
lulz.
why the fuck are you even in this thread? take your underage 'lulz' looking ass and go listen to some falloutfags. there are men here talking about handguns, something you can't even own yet.
post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:36 AM
que?

Quote:

how much are those speedloaders? i have the same gun
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Slingin rock on da corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast83 View Post
if my life was on the line the last thing i want to have to do is reload my weapon,even with a speed loader.
I carry my Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm Compact, and when I'm able to, I carry a spare mag (which is easier to pull off now with the weather cooling down).

With the weapon chambered, w/out a spare mag, I've got 13 rounds. With a spare mag, 25 rounds. I'm a decent enough shot, so hopefully I won't need all of it, but I have the ability to carry extras, so I do. I've even thought about picking up a full size M&P mag, I think they hold either 16 or 18 rounds, as a back up. It'd look funny, but it would be a lot more rounds for me to shoot.

Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to kill them.

God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMCev View Post
sass me again and see what happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
I knew you were a titty hating fag the moment I met you.

2007 Harley Davidson Street Bob
2003 King Ranch F-150
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Slingin rock on da corner

And...to stay on topic, I've considered picking up a wheel gun for a BUG, or as a primary carry gun, depending on what i'll be doing that day. I've got a wedding this Saturday, for instance, and it'll be a little difficult to carry my s&w. I'll pull it off regardless, but it might be a little easier to leave the s&w in the truck and carry a revolver. If I had one.

And as far as the OP getting tired of inadvertent mag drops....I've never heard of that. I carry my S&W IWB at 3 oclock; it is an ambidextrious pistol (mag release on each side). The gun holds pretty tight to my body on the inside, and since I wear a belt, pretty tight to the holster on the outside. I've never once had a mag drop that I didn't trigger myself.

I'd be willing to bet that a change in holster/carry style/ position would fix your problem. Might be worth looking into anyways.

Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to kill them.

God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMCev View Post
sass me again and see what happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
I knew you were a titty hating fag the moment I met you.

2007 Harley Davidson Street Bob
2003 King Ranch F-150
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:11 AM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Originally Posted by grove rat View Post
how much are those speedloaders? i have the same gun
http://www.holsters.com/concealment/...ies/COMP-i.asp
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast83 View Post
That's why you seek cover when reloading. Basic tactic.

Also, I don't remember how much they were. I'd say under $15 each plus shipping from www.Midwayusa.com
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 09:42 AM
I. Am. God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grove rat View Post
why the fuck are you even in this thread? take your underage 'lulz' looking ass and go listen to some falloutfags. there are men here talking about handguns, something you can't even own yet.
hahaha.

it was a funny post.

and fyi, i'll be applying for my CHL in February.

edit: oh yeah, and i'm listening to Fall Out Boy right now.

Quote:
only on DFWstangs...
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Token Troll

I'm still baffled why the mag release is always being pushed.

Sounds like a bad holster and/or bad grip.

I carry a XD40, which, like the afore mentione XD45, are pretty much the same frame (as far as trigger, mag release area) as the XD40SC. I have no issues what so ever.

FWIW, I've never seen someone with a wheel gun be able to reload as fast as someone with a semi. Thoughts?

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
I'm still baffled why the mag release is always being pushed.

Sounds like a bad holster and/or bad grip.

I carry a XD40, which, like the afore mentione XD45, are pretty much the same frame (as far as trigger, mag release area) as the XD40SC. I have no issues what so ever.

FWIW, I've never seen someone with a wheel gun be able to reload as fast as someone with a semi. Thoughts?
Why are you so concerned about reloading? In a gunfight its the first person to pull it and get a round or two off that wins.

FBI stats say that most gunfights are at distances under 7 feet, less than 5 seconds, and 2.x rounds total fired.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3fgduPdH_Y
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:05 AM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Why are you so concerned about reloading? In a gunfight its the first person to pull it and get a round or two off that wins.

FBI stats say that most gunfights are at distances under 7 feet, less than 5 seconds, and 2.x rounds total fired.
I understand the logic behind that BUT ... thats not always the case is it?
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:13 AM
I. Am. God.

Quote:

if there are two people, at a distance of 7 feet from eachother, that CAN'T hit one another from that distance, then they probably both deserve to be shot.

i don't understand why someone would allow another person/attacker to get that close. unless of course, they started out that close and a small situation escalated exponentially.

Quote:
only on DFWstangs...
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:

But you never know brah! What if I have to epically dive through the air to cover while changing out mags after missing the crackhead with all 15 rounds? It totally happens all the time!
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Token Troll

Quote:

The old adage, "rather have it and not need it then not have it and need it."

I suppose you run around in a thunderstorm with a golf club held high? Stats show you're highly unlikely to get struck by lightning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
Holy hell, that is fast!!! (the reload at the end)

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I found a Smith and Wesson revolver that is 21 oz and carries 8 rounds of .38+p. I really like it and am thinking of getting 2 of them to carry. I wouldn't have to reload, I would just grab the extra gun. I'm thinking that 8 sets of double taps would be enough. No?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...egory_rn=24802

I also found this and thought it was interesting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement