ar-15 barrel and overall length.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
African Booty Scratcher

ar-15 barrel and overall length....

what are the legalities... i thought i had read 16inch barrel? maybe not. i saw that model one sales had 10.5, 14, and 16 inch. can i buy a 10.5 or 14 inch and own it legally without special paperwork and such? sorry for all the dumbass questions as of late. building this rifle has pretty much consumed any and all free time i have had, researching, reading and such. the lower is finally complete after my trip to market hall yesterday. i am going to start building the 2nd lower as soon as i get this upper legal length figured out.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

You can buy a complete upper that has a barrel shorter than 16" without any paperwork IF the flash hider is long enough to bring the length to 16" AND is permanently attached.

Otherwise, you would need to submit a form 4 to the ATF to get a tax stamp for the short barreled rifle.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
You can buy a complete upper that has a barrel shorter than 16" without any paperwork IF the flash hider is long enough to bring the length to 16" AND is permanently attached.

Otherwise, you would need to submit a form 4 to the ATF to get a tax stamp for the short barreled rifle.
5.5" Flash hiders FTW!! Hahaha

I wonder, kind of along those same lines, what if I were to permanently attach a suppressor that brought a shorter barrel to >= 16"? I know the suppressor itself would require paperwork, but would the gun still be an SBR? (Assuming the suppressor were permanently attached before you purchased it, or you bought both from a person who could then do the work)

(I am not saying I would ever do this, or that it would be the easiest or smartest way to do it, not even sure it would look good, just curious)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 10:49 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
5.5" Flash hiders FTW!! Hahaha

I wonder, kind of along those same lines, what if I were to permanently attach a suppressor that brought a shorter barrel to >= 16"? I know the suppressor itself would require paperwork, but would the gun still be an SBR? (Assuming the suppressor were permanently attached before you purchased it, or you bought both from a person who could then do the work)

(I am not saying I would ever do this, or that it would be the easiest or smartest way to do it, not even sure it would look good, just curious)

Before I attached a $500+ supressor permantly I would file another $200 stamp for a SBR.
But as far as legalities as long as the overall lenght is over 16" including the perm attached supressor I would imagine it would be legal.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 11:43 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Oh, and don't plan on buying a short barrel without some sort of paperwork. Most places will not sell it to you without some sort of proof of a filed and accepted form 4.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 10:04 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
Oh, and don't plan on buying a short barrel without some sort of paperwork. Most places will not sell it to you without some sort of proof of a filed and accepted form 4.
You can buy them all day long. They did make AR-15 PISTOLS.

Now if you stick the short barrel upper on a rifle lower, just don't get caught, its a felony....Unless you have the stamp.

2006 Mustang GT
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
You can buy them all day long. They did make AR-15 PISTOLS.

Now if you stick the short barrel upper on a rifle lower, just don't get caught, its a felony....Unless you have the stamp.
If I remember correctly it is the stock that is the issue, not the lower itself. I have never built a pistol so don't quote me on it, but I don't think the lower has to be marked pistol.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 01:22 AM
Lifer

Your rifle has to have an overall length of 26"+ and a barrel 16"+. If the rifle is shorter than 26" OAL, it's an SBR; if the barrel is less than 16" it's an SBR.

You want an SBR, you file a Form 1. Form 4s are for guns already registered.

Anyone will sell you a upper smaller than 16", but the constructive intent theory comes into play.

Safe advice is to just not get the smaller uppers unless you're building an SBR or making/own some fagpussy AR pistol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post

Yes, if you permanently attach a suppressor to a rifle and bring it's overall barrel length to greater than 16" or OAL 26"; it's a regular title 1 gun.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:44 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Your rifle has to have an overall length of 26"+ and a barrel 16"+. If the rifle is shorter than 26" OAL, it's an SBR; if the barrel is less than 16" it's an SBR.

You want an SBR, you file a Form 1. Form 4s are for guns already registered.

Anyone will sell you a upper smaller than 16", but the constructive intent theory comes into play.

Safe advice is to just not get the smaller uppers unless you're building an SBR or making/own some fagpussy AR pistol.

Yes, if you permanently attach a suppressor to a rifle and bring it's overall barrel length to greater than 16" or OAL 26"; it's a regular title 1 gun.
We can always depend on David to set us straight. I knew it was one of those ATF forms, for some reason the Form 4 came to mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement