Eotech 512 lost all brightness?? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 726
Eotech 512 lost all brightness??

Went out for a hog hunt Friday night eotech worked just fine. Didn't fire any shots. Got the rifle out the next day to shoot and couldn't see the reticle. I thought the batteries were dead so I put new batteries in to no avail. Did the restart as suggested by Eotech and that didn't cure it. Can only barely see the reticle in limited to zero light.

any suggestions before I try to send it back to eotech tomorrow?
srt-4_i_swear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 03:20 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 12,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt-4_i_swear View Post
Went out for a hog hunt Friday night eotech worked just fine. Didn't fire any shots. Got the rifle out the next day to shoot and couldn't see the reticle. I thought the batteries were dead so I put new batteries in to no avail. Did the restart as suggested by Eotech and that didn't cure it. Can only barely see the reticle in limited to zero light.

any suggestions before I try to send it back to eotech tomorrow?
bang on it.
CJ is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Meeeeooowww
 
ALLAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: the MCO airport
Posts: 20,309
Aimpoint

ALLAN is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Lifer
 
futant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,664
send it back
I really don't understand how people can afford those or aimpoints, or even trijicon.
I mean ....unless your life depends on it every day.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
futant is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 06:00 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 12,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
send it back
I really don't understand how people can afford those or aimpoints, or even trijicon.
I mean ....unless your life depends on it every day.
Buy some cheap optics and let it screw you a few times and then you'll understand why they decide to pay that money.
CJ is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Lifer
 
futant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Buy some cheap optics and let it screw you a few times and then you'll understand why they decide to pay that money.
oh believe me i have
but still I could buy 5 - 10 cheaper optics at those prices!
I mean i could see spending the money on a nice scope for a hunting/distance rifle
but these things are typically used for short distances, so the need for expensive glass isn't as great.
there is some very reasonable knock offs coming out....thats mainly what i meant.
seems like a lot of them are fairing well in reviews too.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
futant is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 45
What are some of these cheap knock offs with good reviews that you speak of?
silver_2000_TJ is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 59
not cheap but i have used 1 bushnell holosight for little over 9yrs. no problems.

HP & TQ are like SEX, you can never have enough!!!

RPARMS.COM
01/03
z28orshoot is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 07:24 AM
GROWED UP WRONG
 
Chopped54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Box Babies Come In
Posts: 7,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
oh believe me i have
but still I could buy 5 - 10 cheaper optics at those prices!
I mean i could see spending the money on a nice scope for a hunting/distance rifle
but these things are typically used for short distances, so the need for expensive glass isn't as great.
there is some very reasonable knock offs coming out....thats mainly what i meant.
seems like a lot of them are fairing well in reviews too.
So you spend $100 in gas, drive for 4 hours, $75 in food for the weekend, $XXX to feed and bait, countless hours planning, and preparing. Get out there happy for your hunt only to have it cut short because you bought cheap glass....
I use an EoTech for short distance hog hunting.
Chopped54 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 11:40 AM
None
 
Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Anti-Newbie
Posts: 12,675
There is a reason iron sights exist.

Gonna be a lot of pissed off zombie killers when after the world ends they realize that they can't find new batteries for their fancy schamcy red dots.
Jedi is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Lifer
 
futant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
So you spend $100 in gas, drive for 4 hours, $75 in food for the weekend, $XXX to feed and bait, countless hours planning, and preparing. Get out there happy for your hunt only to have it cut short because you bought cheap glass....
I use an EoTech for short distance hog hunting.
so your trying to convince that at SHORT distance the glass on an eotech is so awesome you can hunt longer at dusk / dawn ?
is that where youre going, seriously ?
look enjoy your eotech, I know i would. I'm just saying there are more options now if you don't want to lay down 400-600 dollars for a freaking red dot.
think about it , you could own another rifle for that costs. I won't argue durability of course, but you didn't go there.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
futant is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 12:30 PM
GROWED UP WRONG
 
Chopped54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Box Babies Come In
Posts: 7,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
so your trying to convince that at SHORT distance the glass on an eotech is so awesome you can hunt longer at dusk / dawn ?
is that where youre going, seriously ?
look enjoy your eotech, I know i would. I'm just saying there are more options now if you don't want to lay down 400-600 dollars for a freaking red dot.
think about it , you could own another rifle for that costs. I won't argue durability of course, but you didn't go there.
I am not talking dusk/dawn hunting. I am talking during the day, stalking hogs in the brush. Eotech is about 2 MOA at 100yrds. And when I said glass, I was not referring to the actual glass on the scope, but the optic itself. There are other options, and I weighed them before I went with the Eotech. I looked at the Nikons, and some of the cheaper heads up type read dots. For the durability I went with Eotech since it will be drug through brush, woods, creeks, west Texas wind and dirt, actually used.
I am a cheap bastard so believe me I thought long and hard, and researched before dropping the bread on a $400 red dot.
Chopped54 is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Lifer
 
futant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,664
oh yeah they're all but invincible, but for general hunting even im not like 'duty ' abusive to guns/sights.
there are definitely some nice red dots out there in the 100-200 range. Probably not with as big of a window though. But definitely what i would call durable. I'll agree that many red dots are not durable. Even a trijicon Reflex i had, I did not consider durable. nice sight though, but a serious bump would destroy zero , or maybe knock it clean off. Why the hell do they make so many red dots with the zero adjustment moving the whole damn thing? that makes it super weak IMO....
Personally i think the eotechs are too big for my tastes.
but anyways thanks for the explanation, makes more sense now.
most of what i don't get is the aimpoints costing well into the 600 range, holyshit! eotechs actually seem to be coming down slightly, i think i saw one for 260 the other day.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
futant is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Meeeeooowww
 
ALLAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: the MCO airport
Posts: 20,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
There is a reason iron sights exist.

Gonna be a lot of pissed off zombie killers when after the world ends they realize that they can't find new batteries for their fancy schamcy red dots.
My Aimpoint M2 is still on the original battery from 2004.

ALLAN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome