Eotech 512 lost all brightness?? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Eotech 512 lost all brightness??

Went out for a hog hunt Friday night eotech worked just fine. Didn't fire any shots. Got the rifle out the next day to shoot and couldn't see the reticle. I thought the batteries were dead so I put new batteries in to no avail. Did the restart as suggested by Eotech and that didn't cure it. Can only barely see the reticle in limited to zero light.

any suggestions before I try to send it back to eotech tomorrow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 03:20 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt-4_i_swear View Post
Went out for a hog hunt Friday night eotech worked just fine. Didn't fire any shots. Got the rifle out the next day to shoot and couldn't see the reticle. I thought the batteries were dead so I put new batteries in to no avail. Did the restart as suggested by Eotech and that didn't cure it. Can only barely see the reticle in limited to zero light.

any suggestions before I try to send it back to eotech tomorrow?
bang on it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Meeeeooowww

Aimpoint

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Lifer

send it back
I really don't understand how people can afford those or aimpoints, or even trijicon.
I mean ....unless your life depends on it every day.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 06:00 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
send it back
I really don't understand how people can afford those or aimpoints, or even trijicon.
I mean ....unless your life depends on it every day.
Buy some cheap optics and let it screw you a few times and then you'll understand why they decide to pay that money.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Buy some cheap optics and let it screw you a few times and then you'll understand why they decide to pay that money.
oh believe me i have
but still I could buy 5 - 10 cheaper optics at those prices!
I mean i could see spending the money on a nice scope for a hunting/distance rifle
but these things are typically used for short distances, so the need for expensive glass isn't as great.
there is some very reasonable knock offs coming out....thats mainly what i meant.
seems like a lot of them are fairing well in reviews too.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

What are some of these cheap knock offs with good reviews that you speak of?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

not cheap but i have used 1 bushnell holosight for little over 9yrs. no problems.

HP & TQ are like SEX, you can never have enough!!!

RPARMS.COM
01/03
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 07:24 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
oh believe me i have
but still I could buy 5 - 10 cheaper optics at those prices!
I mean i could see spending the money on a nice scope for a hunting/distance rifle
but these things are typically used for short distances, so the need for expensive glass isn't as great.
there is some very reasonable knock offs coming out....thats mainly what i meant.
seems like a lot of them are fairing well in reviews too.
So you spend $100 in gas, drive for 4 hours, $75 in food for the weekend, $XXX to feed and bait, countless hours planning, and preparing. Get out there happy for your hunt only to have it cut short because you bought cheap glass....
I use an EoTech for short distance hog hunting.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 11:40 AM
None

There is a reason iron sights exist.

Gonna be a lot of pissed off zombie killers when after the world ends they realize that they can't find new batteries for their fancy schamcy red dots.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
So you spend $100 in gas, drive for 4 hours, $75 in food for the weekend, $XXX to feed and bait, countless hours planning, and preparing. Get out there happy for your hunt only to have it cut short because you bought cheap glass....
I use an EoTech for short distance hog hunting.
so your trying to convince that at SHORT distance the glass on an eotech is so awesome you can hunt longer at dusk / dawn ?
is that where youre going, seriously ?
look enjoy your eotech, I know i would. I'm just saying there are more options now if you don't want to lay down 400-600 dollars for a freaking red dot.
think about it , you could own another rifle for that costs. I won't argue durability of course, but you didn't go there.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 12:30 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
so your trying to convince that at SHORT distance the glass on an eotech is so awesome you can hunt longer at dusk / dawn ?
is that where youre going, seriously ?
look enjoy your eotech, I know i would. I'm just saying there are more options now if you don't want to lay down 400-600 dollars for a freaking red dot.
think about it , you could own another rifle for that costs. I won't argue durability of course, but you didn't go there.
I am not talking dusk/dawn hunting. I am talking during the day, stalking hogs in the brush. Eotech is about 2 MOA at 100yrds. And when I said glass, I was not referring to the actual glass on the scope, but the optic itself. There are other options, and I weighed them before I went with the Eotech. I looked at the Nikons, and some of the cheaper heads up type read dots. For the durability I went with Eotech since it will be drug through brush, woods, creeks, west Texas wind and dirt, actually used.
I am a cheap bastard so believe me I thought long and hard, and researched before dropping the bread on a $400 red dot.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Lifer

oh yeah they're all but invincible, but for general hunting even im not like 'duty ' abusive to guns/sights.
there are definitely some nice red dots out there in the 100-200 range. Probably not with as big of a window though. But definitely what i would call durable. I'll agree that many red dots are not durable. Even a trijicon Reflex i had, I did not consider durable. nice sight though, but a serious bump would destroy zero , or maybe knock it clean off. Why the hell do they make so many red dots with the zero adjustment moving the whole damn thing? that makes it super weak IMO....
Personally i think the eotechs are too big for my tastes.
but anyways thanks for the explanation, makes more sense now.
most of what i don't get is the aimpoints costing well into the 600 range, holyshit! eotechs actually seem to be coming down slightly, i think i saw one for 260 the other day.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Meeeeooowww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
There is a reason iron sights exist.

Gonna be a lot of pissed off zombie killers when after the world ends they realize that they can't find new batteries for their fancy schamcy red dots.
My Aimpoint M2 is still on the original battery from 2004.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement