Who has a PVS-4? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.

Who has a PVS-4?

I saw one come up recently. I was wondering what anyone on the forum thought of them, how they performed in the day with the cover on, and at night. I'm primarily interested in it for hog control, and I've been quite displeased with my Leupold Vari-X III scope and it's eye relief. I understand the PVS-4 is gigantic, but my AR is a boat anchor anyways. Also, what did you pay for yours, and it's condition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Lifer

are these gen 2 or 3 ?
subscribing....

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Time Served

Yeah that thing is way to heavy to carry around. How about selling off to me real cheap. I'll even take it with the current scope.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
are these gen 2 or 3 ?
subscribing....
Gen II scope.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESmith View Post
Yeah that thing is way to heavy to carry around. How about selling off to me real cheap. I'll even take it with the current scope.
Haha, I like the gun, not too pleased with the scope though.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:10 PM
The Rise Of COBRA!

Dude, we just need to work out a deal on it...

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:17 PM
The Rise Of COBRA!

I'm thinkin' about making a night trip out to spot one of those porkers!

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
I'm thinkin' about making a night trip out to spot one of those porkers!
Yes, this scope is the answer to all of our issues.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
CJ

I'm just worried about purchasing the PVS-4 because of small amount of 25mm image intensifier tubes, from what I remember there were not many PVS-4's made available to the public, so most of them are very used and abused hardware. Has the US military released any more units recently to the public? I know they have started to be phased out recently.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Yes, this scope is the answer to all of our issues.
But what's the price?

I'm still tempted on getting one of these:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/atn-arie...vwsm41010.html
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Time Served

When my step dad was still in the service he brought one home mounted on a VERY OLD M-16. We played with it all night. I wasn't all that great but it got the job done. This was about 10 years ago and pigs weren't everywhere back then so we just shot coyotes. I would not pay more the $500 for one; the gen 1 made in Russia stuff sold by Yukon works better.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo855 View Post
When my step dad was still in the service he brought one home mounted on a VERY OLD M-16. We played with it all night. I wasn't all that great but it got the job done. This was about 10 years ago and pigs weren't everywhere back then so we just shot coyotes. I would not pay more the $500 for one; the gen 1 made in Russia stuff sold by Yukon works better.
The PVS-4 has some of the highest quality optics to ever grace a weapon, f/1.2 glass, huge elements, and it's widely regarded to a high standard. Are you sure you weren't fooling around with a damaged model or something your dad got? They were $4800 dollars when they were issued. I've had the chance to see through a PVS-4 and it was quite impressive, I've never shot with one or used it during the day though. You would never find a PVS-4 for $500.

The Aries 410 sure is a lot cheaper, however it's a Gen1 and I would be really questioning it's durability, I suppose the PVS-4 has a draw because you know it's a proven technology. I always seem to find issue equipment to be extremely reliable and worth the money. ATN kind of has a bad reputation (at least they did a few years ago) with their quality - but I've never seen through one of these. Also, one of the benefits of the PVS-4 is you can retrofit to GEN3 as well. One of my biggest concerns is holding a zero, and the PVS-4 has a very good reputation for that.

I assume svo is talking about this scope:
http://www.ambientweather.com/lalmyk26015t.html

I've heard they are clear, the downside is they are only a 2.5x scope and you need an illuminator to really get decent performance out of them.

Last edited by CJ; 09-24-2009 at 10:11 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
CJ

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=223494

great review showing several NV scopes, the PVS-4 is one of them. As well as the D-760 6x, which is a 4k GEN3 scope.

Last edited by CJ; 09-24-2009 at 10:28 PM.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Haha, I like the gun, not too pleased with the scope though.
Yeah that is a nice AR. Thanks for letting me shoot it.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESmith View Post
Yeah that is a nice AR. Thanks for letting me shoot it.
no sweat, glad you liked it. I just want to get it ironed out so I can enjoy it.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 06:22 AM
The Rise Of COBRA!

Quote:
The PVS-4 has some of the highest quality optics to ever grace a weapon, f/1.2 glass, huge elements, and it's widely regarded to a high standard. Are you sure you weren't fooling around with a damaged model or something your dad got? They were $4800 dollars when they were issued. I've had the chance to see through a PVS-4 and it was quite impressive, I've never shot with one or used it during the day though. You would never find a PVS-4 for $500.

The Aries 410 sure is a lot cheaper, however it's a Gen1 and I would be really questioning it's durability, I suppose the PVS-4 has a draw because you know it's a proven technology. I always seem to find issue equipment to be extremely reliable and worth the money. ATN kind of has a bad reputation (at least they did a few years ago) with their quality - but I've never seen through one of these. Also, one of the benefits of the PVS-4 is you can retrofit to GEN3 as well. One of my biggest concerns is holding a zero, and the PVS-4 has a very good reputation for that.

I've heard they are clear, the downside is they are only a 2.5x scope and you need an illuminator to really get decent performance out of them.
I believe you guys are confusing the PVS-2 with the PVS-4. The PVS-2 was used in Vietnam and are around $500. Check out Whatacountry.com The PVS-4 was used in the first Gulf War and those are being seen for $1300 in good condition now days. PVS-14 is the one thats going for $5000.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
But what's the price?

I'm still tempted on getting one of these:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/atn-arie...vwsm41010.html
Have you seen ATN's White Phosphorous yet?

http://www.opticsplanet.net/atn-nigh...ign=2009atnwpt
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
I believe you guys are confusing the PVS-2 with the PVS-4. The PVS-2 was used in Vietnam and are around $500. Check out Whatacountry.com The PVS-4 was used in the first Gulf War and those are being seen for $1300 in good condition now days. PVS-14 is the one thats going for $5000.
Not sure who you were directing that toward, but yeah the PVS-4 was $4800 when it was issued originally, they are being sold for around $1500 now, some more, some less depending on the shape of the intensifier tube.

ATN carries what looks like a 2 year warranty on their products... that's good, but I just kind of have a bad taste in my mouth over ATN and some of my previous experiences with them. I'd like to see one, but unfortunately it seems as if that's next to impossible.

I know David use that have one, or has one.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Time Served

Quote:

I guess that I should clarify what I was talking about. The PVS-4 needs some ambient light to function. The only time that I got to use one was on a cloudy night out in the middle of nowhere. No moon light, no star light, and no street lights or porch lights off in the distance. The cheaper sight with an illuminater would have worked much better for me on that night. It was still a ton of fun to nail coyotes with a full auto burst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement