re-blueing an old pistol? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
African Booty Scratcher

re-blueing an old pistol?

i bought a kit from academy for like $15.00 bux. is it gonna be worth a shit? i have my grandfathers old ruger blackhawk. it is beat to hell, i got some new hickory grips at the last gun show, now i need to re-blue it. how hard is it? the kit came with 3 bottles, rust/blue remover, cleaner/degreaser, and perma blue. is this something i want to tackle after i put my son to bed this eve. or is it detailed enough that i wouldnt finish this evening and i should wait till the weekend? thanks gents.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 07:17 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
i bought a kit from academy for like $15.00 bux. is it gonna be worth a shit? i have my grandfathers old ruger blackhawk. it is beat to hell, i got some new hickory grips at the last gun show, now i need to re-blue it. how hard is it? the kit came with 3 bottles, rust/blue remover, cleaner/degreaser, and perma blue. is this something i want to tackle after i put my son to bed this eve. or is it detailed enough that i wouldnt finish this evening and i should wait till the weekend? thanks gents.

god bless.
I've never used one of the cold blue kits, but properly bluing a gun takes some time, it's all in the prep work. I don't know if I would trust a bluing kit that doesn't involve some elbow grease. I would suggest getting some steel wool on that gun to at least clean that steel and get a good surface to work with. Acids work well, but not as good as some real work.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
African Booty Scratcher

sorry, it includes steel wool, wet/dry sandpaper, sponge, blueing daubers, service cloth?, barricade take alongs? instructions.

god bless.

Quote:
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 07:26 PM
CJ

Quote:
sorry, it includes steel wool, wet/dry sandpaper, sponge, blueing daubers, service cloth?, barricade take alongs? instructions.

god bless.
yeah, you need to plug the barrel and cylinder to protect them - I usually use foam ear plugs. Prepare to spend a hell of a lot of time prepping that gun properly. You need to sand every square inch of it after you drop it in some acid for a few hours. How it looks in the white is how it's going to look after it's blued.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
African Booty Scratcher

cool thanks for the advice. it has no rust at all. just holster and normal wear and tear you would expect on a 46 year old pistol. my grandfather engraved his initials in it. it prolly is not worth anything, but to me it is the most valuable thing in the safe. i look forward to making it look new again!!!

god bless.

Quote:
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 02:17 AM
CJ

Quote:
cool thanks for the advice. it has no rust at all. just holster and normal wear and tear you would expect on a 46 year old pistol. my grandfather engraved his initials in it. it prolly is not worth anything, but to me it is the most valuable thing in the safe. i look forward to making it look new again!!!

god bless.
make sure you get all of the grain in the same direction on your final pass, also, the more you polish the steel before you blue it, the smoother/shinier the finish is going to be after the blue. Once you blue it, you can then hit it with some fine steel wool to get it even to a higher sheen. Then spray it with some gun oil to prevent rust - bluing does not prevent rust by itself.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

Be careful - lots of people ruin the value of an old pistol by re-bluing it. Might want to run it by a gunshop for appraisal before you start and see what they suggest.

DFWMustangs.net
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
African Booty Scratcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135 View Post
Be careful - lots of people ruin the value of an old pistol by re-bluing it. Might want to run it by a gunshop for appraisal before you start and see what they suggest.

yeah someone else told me that as well. i will never sell the pistol, i got it when my grandfather passed away. if i had the old original grips i might consider not doing it. but i had to buy new factory ruger hickory grips for it. my dad replaced the originals with a pair of pachmyers yrs ago when gramps split the original grips using the pistol butt to hammer in a barb wire fence staple. i plan on putting it in a nice case a hanging it up in the house.

god bless.

Quote:
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Time Served

+1 for what CJ said. The more you polish it before you blue, the better it will look.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Time Served

Re Bluing

Don't re blue it. Leave it EXACTLY as it is. In time you will appreciate that it looks like it did when he owned it.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
African Booty Scratcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fox View Post
Don't re blue it. Leave it EXACTLY as it is. In time you will appreciate that it looks like it did when he owned it.
I will look for an old pair of grips at the gun show this weekend. That sounds like a good idea also. Thanks bro!

God bless.

Quote:
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Time Served

Leave it like it is

I have a small ball pein hammer that was my dad's. The hammer still has the black tape around the handle where it was cracked. I have other hammers, and a new handle would be just a few dollars, but I'm leaving it just like it was when he used it. I smile every time I see it hanging there on the wall. I bet that pistol will be just like that hammer. Every time you shoot it you will smile. Just another old gun to anyone else will become a treasure to you.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 03:06 AM
The Rise Of COBRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I've never used one of the cold blue kits, but properly bluing a gun takes some time, it's all in the prep work. I don't know if I would trust a bluing kit that doesn't involve some elbow grease. I would suggest getting some steel wool on that gun to at least clean that steel and get a good surface to work with. Acids work well, but not as good as some real work.
I know, I can't wait to see what my Tokarev and Polish P-64 is gonna look like when you're finished...

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:22 AM
Lifer

I'd leave it just as it is. That's part of the character of the gun, as well as your grandpa's.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
I have a small ball pein hammer that was my dad's. The hammer still has the black tape around the handle where it was cracked. I have other hammers, and a new handle would be just a few dollars, but I'm leaving it just like it was when he used it. I smile every time I see it hanging there on the wall. I bet that pistol will be just like that hammer. Every time you shoot it you will smile. Just another old gun to anyone else will become a treasure to you.
I have one of my Grandfather's old hammers and cherish it in the same way. It was the first thing I asked for when he passed. He had it since the 50's or so and it is still in good condition after a lot of use over the years (he was a carpentar most of his life). I use the hammer all the time and think about him every time I pick it up.

I thought about making a shadow box for it and a few of his other old hand tools I got but I feel like I am honoring him more by using it for its intended purpose.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Time Served

Old hammer

Use it. He would say to you, "Boy, what the hell is my hammer doing in a shadow box? "
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Every day is.............

Quote:
Use it. He would say to you, "Boy, what the hell is my hammer doing in a shadow box? "
lol
How true.

David
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
lol Just what I was thinking. I have an old hammer that my Grandad made, along with several other of his handmade tools, and they are in my toolbox being used.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement