taking your gun on an airplane - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 442
taking your gun on an airplane

what are the pro's/con's to having your weapon checked in when flying? i really hate driving for hours upon hours to get to some places and would rather just fly, but i dont like not having my gun with me, so im looking for info please. thanks
5.0 beast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Lifer
 
samuel642000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,372
If you get it checked I wouldn't see a problem as long as you lock it up. However you always run the risk of your luggage getting lost...
samuel642000 is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Public Melt Down
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,044
What kind of gun are you talking about?
Blame Canada is offline  
 
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 02:42 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS
 
Geor!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HERE WE GO!!!
Posts: 18,685
Facepalm.

Geor! is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Facepalm.
Why facepalm? Plenty of people travel with their firearms.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Resident Ankle Biter
 
KiwiGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Mommytown
Posts: 4,920
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#6

Google is your friend.

My land is bare of chattering folk; the clouds are low along the ridges,
and sweet's the air with curly smoke from all my burning bridges.
~Dorothy Parker~
KiwiGT is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 02:57 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS
 
Geor!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HERE WE GO!!!
Posts: 18,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Why facepalm? Plenty of people travel with their firearms.
Then facepalm on me. I thought a firearm anywhere in an airport is automatic jail time.

We are 138!

Geor! is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Still got Nothing
 
homealone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: If I were you, I'd kill myself!
Posts: 2,710
I never leave with any but I always seem to come home with a suitcase or golf back full of them.

Just pack it with your checked baggage in a hard case. When you get to the airline counter tell them you have a firearm. They will send you to a TSA area where you will have to open your luggage and present the firearm. They will probably search the rest of your suitcase but I have had it go either way.

Then they will have you lock it, and a TSA sticker will be applied. Then they take it and you are done.

Things to remember, unload it. TSA allows ammo to be transported in clips but some airlines do not. You can bring up to 11 pounds of ammo in an approved ammo container. The box you buy it in is enough.

When you get to your destination, you will have to go to a specific TSA claim area. They don't put it on the carousel. At least DFW doesn't.

Cons. It takes time. It could still get stolen.

Pros. You can lock your luggage so handlers can't go through your stuff and ransack / steal it.
homealone is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:09 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS
 
Geor!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HERE WE GO!!!
Posts: 18,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly View Post
you must be a pussy to feel like you always have to be armed and can't handle up on your business with out it.
What if, man. What if.

Geor! is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 442
ok thanks for the info. im sure glad i dont get my panties in a bunch about much of anything that's posted here
5.0 beast is offline  
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly View Post
you must be a pussy to feel like you always have to be armed and can't handle up on your business with out it.
Are you serious? Obviously you have never had someone put a gun right up to your neck (actually touching) and take your wallet, phone, keys, and money in the middle of the day at a public gas station.... And then tells you that if you call the cops, he will come to your house and kill you... after all, he knows where you live now cause he has your drivers license and keys... I have. And I do not feel right unarmed. Guess Im just a big ass pussy too.


Daniel's RV-7:

Empenage - Done
Wings - 98.5% Done
Fuselage - Bulkheads...

http://www.danielhv.com
danielhv is offline  
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Gunga galunga
 
jakesford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pimpin the West Side!! (Benbrook)
Posts: 7,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhv View Post
Are you serious? Obviously you have never had someone put a gun right up to your neck (actually touching) and take your wallet, phone, keys, and money in the middle of the day at a public gas station.... And then tells you that if you call the cops, he will come to your house and kill you... after all, he knows where you live now cause he has your drivers license and keys... I have. And I do not feel right unarmed. Guess Im just a big ass pussy too.
I think he was being sarcastic... Check the armory Houston chl thread lol

"Apres moi le deluge"


jakesford is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
The upside? Having your gat when you get to your destination.

The downside? Having to check the damn thing and hoping some baggage handler doesn't steal it.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Lifer
 
Ylw 98~~SNAKE~~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DFW
Posts: 13,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
I never leave with any but I always seem to come home with a suitcase or golf back full of them.

Just pack it with your checked baggage in a hard case. When you get to the airline counter tell them you have a firearm. They will send you to a TSA area where you will have to open your luggage and present the firearm. They will probably search the rest of your suitcase but I have had it go either way.

Then they will have you lock it, and a TSA sticker will be applied. Then they take it and you are done.

Things to remember, unload it. TSA allows ammo to be transported in clips but some airlines do not. You can bring up to 11 pounds of ammo in an approved ammo container. The box you buy it in is enough.

When you get to your destination, you will have to go to a specific TSA claim area. They don't put it on the carousel. At least DFW doesn't.

Cons. It takes time. It could still get stolen.

Pros. You can lock your luggage so handlers can't go through your stuff and ransack / steal it.
good info. I wasnt sure if a firearm was allowed on a plane or not. I dont see the problem as long as it is checked in correctly.

98 Brokra
Ylw 98~~SNAKE~~ is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 06:57 PM
SingleFTMFW!
 
mysticcobrakilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: House shoppin
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
The upside? Having your gat when you get to your destination.

The downside? Having to check the damn thing and hoping some baggage handler doesn't steal it.
lol @ a cop calling his hand gun a "Gat".




Stock 05 mustang parts for sale! Stock Driveshaft, uca, lca's, intake manifold, injectors, mass air, ect. CHEAP!
mysticcobrakilla is offline  
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Banned
 
GSXR_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhv View Post
Are you serious? Obviously you have never had someone put a gun right up to your neck (actually touching) and take your wallet, phone, keys, and money in the middle of the day at a public gas station.... And then tells you that if you call the cops, he will come to your house and kill you... after all, he knows where you live now cause he has your drivers license and keys... I have. And I do not feel right unarmed. Guess Im just a big ass pussy too.
Spurlock Racing?
GSXR_Mike is offline  
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Doing things the lazy way
 
bonnie&clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Oak Cliff
Posts: 3,486
just put it in your waist and walk thru, if you get caught just tell them it was a test, if u dont then fuck it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR
You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!
bonnie&clyde is offline  
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR_Mike View Post
Spurlock Racing?
lmao! That little pathetic fuck and his trailer park abortion-gone-bad girlfriend couldn't do shit. Dammit... why'd u have to remind me of that peice of shit? lol

It was some black dood at a gas station on Greenville Ave (The old, yet rich part). I just finished pumping gas, got in the truck, reset the odometer, and wtf... he just showed up at my window outta no where. Had the window down so he just leaned on it like we were friends and held the pistol to muh neck. handed him all my shit, and sat there in a truck with no keys (or I would have run his ass over when he walked off) and no phone to call the cops.


Daniel's RV-7:

Empenage - Done
Wings - 98.5% Done
Fuselage - Bulkheads...

http://www.danielhv.com
danielhv is offline  
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford View Post
I think he was being sarcastic... Check the armory Houston chl thread lol
Statement retracted then


Daniel's RV-7:

Empenage - Done
Wings - 98.5% Done
Fuselage - Bulkheads...

http://www.danielhv.com
danielhv is offline  
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Banned
 
GSXR_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhv View Post
lmao! That little pathetic fuck and his trailer park abortion-gone-bad girlfriend couldn't do shit. Dammit... why'd u have to remind me of that peice of shit? lol

It was some black dood at a gas station on Greenville Ave (The old, yet rich part). I just finished pumping gas, got in the truck, reset the odometer, and wtf... he just showed up at my window outta no where. Had the window down so he just leaned on it like we were friends and held the pistol to muh neck. handed him all my shit, and sat there in a truck with no keys (or I would have run his ass over when he walked off) and no phone to call the cops.


Sorry for some reason I just couldn't resist.
GSXR_Mike is offline  
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticcobrakilla View Post
lol @ a cop calling his hand gun a "Gat".
Kikin' it old skool, BIATCH!
03trubluGT is offline  
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 AM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!
 
SS Junk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: under my junk
Posts: 7,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticcobrakilla View Post
lol @ a cop calling his hand gun a "Gat".
Why would they step
When they know we're strapped?
I never cruise L.A.
Without a Gat in my lap

SS Junk is offline  
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Lifer
 
Hass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,713
The baggage throwers know when guns are being flown and will steal your guns.
Hass is offline  
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Meeeeooowww
 
ALLAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: the MCO airport
Posts: 20,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
The upside? Having your gat when you get to your destination.

The downside? Having to check the damn thing and hoping some TSA monkey doesn't steal it.
fixed as a former ramp rat

ALLAN is offline  
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 02:15 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 12,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly View Post
you must be a pussy to feel like you always have to be armed and can't handle up on your business with out it.
It doesn't matter how much of a big tall badass you feel like, if your foe has a gun, you're dead. No reason not to be armed at all times if you can be.
CJ is offline  
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 32
Just remember to check the destination and make sure they have CHL reciprocity. Hate for you to get slammed because they don't appreciate 2nd amendment rights.
caphero is offline  
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Then facepalm on me. I thought a firearm anywhere in an airport is automatic jail time.

We are 138!
You are most definitely NOT 138.

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:01 AM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhv View Post
It was some black dood at a gas station on Greenville Ave (The old, yet rich part). I just finished pumping gas, got in the truck, reset the odometer, and wtf... he just showed up at my window outta no where. Had the window down so he just leaned on it like we were friends and held the pistol to muh neck. handed him all my shit, and sat there in a truck with no keys (or I would have run his ass over when he walked off) and no phone to call the cops.
Not being a smart ass, but what would you have done if you were carrying? He got the jump on you, would you have mellowed until he turned around and gunned him down? Again, not coming down on you or attacking just asking.

Between having the gun and the threat to kill you later if you did your responsibility of calling the police *I* think you'd be justified.

Problem is, with the courts, suppsoed racism/hate crimes and all that CHL holders are put in one hell of a grey area when one shoots/kills someone. Seems criminals get the benefit of the doubt over a CHL (background check, training, qualification...) holder.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 195
I wouldn't think there would be a problem if you waited till he turned around and blasted his ass. He threatened you with a gun which he still has, and threatened to kill you or your family later. He has your id, so he knows where you live. Would have been great to get rid of another piece of shit. That's why your better off always having it on you.

93 Lightning t-trim @15psi a/a intercooled,Windsor sr heads, tfsr intake, 75mm tb,full fuel sys 72lb, Fast xfi, be trans controller,built E4OD 2800 stall,1-3/4 longtubes 3" exhuast Auburn pro 87 Lx coupe (in progress) 393 stroker coated pistons/bearings built 4r70w.

Rusertmachine.com
gpz 750 is offline  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 962
Just don't scream on top of your lungs Allah Akbar... or its over..

Mr_fiux is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome