How to chose a weapon for CC - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

How to chose a weapon for CC

I'm very green to the world of pistols, so I am asking for advice on chosing a weapon to CC. I am looking for something that will be easy to conceal (looked at some of the sub-compact Glock's). I want something that is light, and comfortable to carry. Also I am not sure on how to determine which caliber is for me. I do not want to spend a huge amount on the gun or ammunition (regularly), but I want to make sure that if needed I would have the ability to stop someone.

What I noticed about DFWstangers is they seem to stay away from the 9mm, but I don't know if that just comes down to the machismo of carrying something like a .45.

I am very open to any/all advice, and even some articles to read that would benefit me.

Thanks a ton!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Lifer

Me personally I carry a .40 Glock. I dont trust anything under that caliber. Glocks are great because they are small and light and proven guns. They are also very simple. Best advice is to shoot a few different kinds, and different calibers. Get a good feel of the pistol and how each one shoots. Then go from there. Choosing a gun for yourself is a very personal decision. Good Luck.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Thanks...I guess I'm feeling out for ideas here. I also have pretty large hands... I'm not sure how that will effect my comfort w/ certain pistols.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfodysvn View Post
Thanks...I guess I'm feeling out for ideas here. I also have pretty large hands... I'm not sure how that will effect my comfort w/ certain pistols.
Most people I know with larger hands dont like the Glocks, because of the smaller handle and its angle.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Most people I know with larger hands dont like the Glocks, because of the smaller handle and its angle.
how ironic
i have medium hands and prefer the largest gripped glock there is
Glock 21
I also like all glock angles vs. say XDs
so there goes that theory!

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Rolling with the homies

Go to a gun range and rent a few guns out with different calibers. Or better yet, offer to buy a few boxes of ammo and invite some of the guys on the board to the range to try a few different guns out.

I personally have no problems with a 9mm. I say go with the biggest caliber you can shoot comfortably and can hit what you aim at. I'd take a 9mm over a 10mm if I can shoot it more accurately (never cared for the 10mm round).

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Time Served

another vote for springfield xd9 or xd40. i've got both in s/c. i went and shot a few glocks and they feel weird in my hand. to me they shoot pretty damn close to what my xd's shoot like, but i prefer the xd's. i have decent sized hands with long skinny fingers. glocks feel too small to me, i like their size for CC but i dont like not having a place for my pinky to rest. i'll probably go shoot more glocks again later this week to confirm my feeling for them as im leaning towards getting one to add to the collection
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Time Served

best advise has been given

Go to the range or find some guys and shoot different pistols

I would recomend carry the highest cal you can shoot and handle accuratly and effectively I carry a 45 because I prefer the 1911 frame Have also carried a 40 in a sig P229, glock in 357 sig, smith revolvers in 38spl, and an H&K P7 in 9mm

The 9mm gets a bad rap because its a fast moving pointy bullet that has a tendency to go through rather than translate energy A good hollowpoint helps with this

I allways recomend a pistol that is comfortable but as small as posible also something light if you carry it all day it wears you out
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Banned

Ruger LCR with 38 Special +p hollow points. A wheel gun will never, EVER let you down. Completely idiot proof, small, concealable, and shoots great!

I dont care what anyone says, a wheel gun will always be better than an automatic in terms of reliability.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Which one's the clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
how ironic
i have medium hands and prefer the largest gripped glock there is
Glock 21
I also like all glock angles vs. say XDs
so there goes that theory!
Note: He said people with "large" hands, not medium.
I have "large" hands and dont like the glocks because their handles are to short. My pinky hangs off the bottom of the grip.

1987 Nissan pick up-wrecked
1984 Ponitiac grand am-sold
1988 Buick lasabre-sold
1987 Nissan 300zx-sold intake/exhaust
2001 Yamaha r6-sold slip on
2004 Yamaha r1-sold full exhaust
1991 Nissan 240sx-torn down,almost built up.
1994 toyota celica-blown up. exhaust
2005 Honda accord-daily.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie View Post
I have "large" hands and dont like the glocks because their handles are to short. My pinky hangs off the bottom of the grip.

I'm reading up, if you purchase the extended magazine on the glock, it gives you a place to rest your pinky. I love the idea of being able to carry 15rds, but maybe I'm just over thinking.

Thanks a ton for all of your advice everyone! I assumed firing different weapons would be a good idea, but wasn't quite so clear that it is "the" determining factor. Which ammo typically runs the highest out of these 3?(9mm, .40, and .45)
Are the night sights typically an option that can be had w/ just about any pistol?
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I'm reading up, if you purchase the extended magazine on the glock, it gives you a place to rest your pinky. I love the idea of being able to carry 15rds, but maybe I'm just over thinking.

Thanks a ton for all of your advice everyone! I assumed firing different weapons would be a good idea, but wasn't quite so clear that it is "the" determining factor. Which ammo typically runs the highest out of these 3?(9mm, .40, and .45)
Are the night sights typically an option that can be had w/ just about any pistol?
The "determining factor" is what you are comfortable with. Not everyone is the same, hence the myriad of manufactures with expaded product lines.

Ammo is more expensive the bigger you get. So, 9mm is usually the cheapest, especially to practice with.

These days you can get night sights with anything, but rarely would you ever need them. If you are shooting in light low enough to see the sights, you will be temporarily blinded after the first muzzle blast and they will be worthless. Remember something like 90% of all gunfights are under 5 yards.

I'd go with a laser sight before adding the cost of night sights, JMHO.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 07:53 AM
LUCIFER

I've got a Taurus Millenium Pro 9MM that will be my CC, I'm comfortable with it.

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Slingin rock on da corner

Quote:
I'm very green to the world of pistols, so I am asking for advice on chosing a weapon to CC. I am looking for something that will be easy to conceal (looked at some of the sub-compact Glock's). I want something that is light, and comfortable to carry. Also I am not sure on how to determine which caliber is for me. I do not want to spend a huge amount on the gun or ammunition (regularly), but I want to make sure that if needed I would have the ability to stop someone.

What I noticed about DFWstangers is they seem to stay away from the 9mm, but I don't know if that just comes down to the machismo of carrying something like a .45.

I am very open to any/all advice, and even some articles to read that would benefit me.

Thanks a ton!
I carry a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm (C)

Compact 9mm, I love the .45 as well, but I keep the big hog at home for home defense. Sometimes it goes in the truck.

Get your hands on as many guns as possible, find a make/model that feels right. As far as caliber goes, that's a personal choice. I carry 9mm because the gun fits right, it's easy to conceal, I get a few more shots, and I'm confident enough in my shooting ability to make the hits count.

That being said, I'm looking at a compact Taurus .45 to pick up after Christmas.

Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to kill them.

God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMCev View Post
sass me again and see what happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
I knew you were a titty hating fag the moment I met you.

2007 Harley Davidson Street Bob
2003 King Ranch F-150
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:36 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

i would go to a gunrange that lets you test fire. I was looking to get my wife a small gun for CC, but after test firing about 10 guns the most comfortable for her was an XD9 with a 3" barrel. While it is larger then some of the real little guns.. it is really comfortable in her hand.

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie View Post
dude im not trying to make this into an arguement
the question i have is if you have large hands why not just get a decent sized gun?
shit im 5 6" 160lbs and I can conceal a large frame .45 pistol IWB.
Why not just get a bigger gun then?
I used to have a glock 27 subcompact like youre talking about, but I just got the extended part for the mag = no more problem.
It doesn't make sense to have big hands then pick the smallest gun you can possibly buy.

OP - as mentioned, go shoot several handguns first , then decide. Personally subcompacts are the absolute most difficult to shoot, short sight radius, etc. etc.
I prefer a reasonable sized pistol, to depend my life on. Easier to shoot=better.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
dude im not trying to make this into an arguement
the question i have is if you have large hands why not just get a decent sized gun?
shit im 5 6" 160lbs and I can conceal a large frame .45 pistol IWB.
Why not just get a bigger gun then?
I used to have a glock 27 subcompact like youre talking about, but I just got the extended part for the mag = no more problem.
It doesn't make sense to have big hands then pick the smallest gun you can possibly buy.

OP - as mentioned, go shoot several handguns first , then decide. Personally subcompacts are the absolute most difficult to shoot, short sight radius, etc. etc.
I prefer a reasonable sized pistol, to depend my life on. Easier to shoot=better.
I agree for the most part, but the fullsize 1911 that sits at home of in the car because it's too big or heavy to carry is completely pointless as a ccw. A small 380 that you religiously keep in your pocket is better than the 1911 that stays at home.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Lifer

Another vote for big hands and not liking glocks. I had a HK USP 40 and it was hands down my favorite pistol but I never carried it concealed. I dont know how it would do there. The glock 22 I had was a very good gun but just not as comfy as the HK was but I could see myself concealing it a lot better.

I just read something on the newer micro eagle from magnum research. Never owned a baby or desert eagle but people seem to like the micro's for carrying in their pockets. I may pick one up for the same purpose. I think it would make a great backup gun. Forget comfort with something that little though, lol

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

My daily carry...

I carry with an IWB Bianchi and can hardly tell it is there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kimber.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	94006  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Hit up Academy and get a feel for the guns in your hands...weight, balance, etc. Once you get some ideas, this will help you when you go to a range to test shoot.

I personally wouldnt go under .40, I carry a .45. Im 5'8" 175lbs and comfortably carry a XD45 in a crossbreed supertuck. The gun is a tad heavy fully loaded. Its a 10+1, so 11 rounds total. If you cant hit 1-2 guys in 11 shots, probably shouldnt be carrying to begin with. You get used to the weight and if you leave home without it, you feel like you are forgetting something.

The bigger grips dont bother me. I have med-large hands. I have shot a couple Glocks in 9mm and .40, and for some reason, I just dont like them. The gun feels cheap. The XD has a much more solid feel. I also like the grip safety of the XD.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:02 PM
OC
Lifer

It all boils down to what is comfortable to you. You will meet those that love/bash any gun out there.

I have had my CHL for a little over 10 years now and will tell you the perfect CCW is the one you don't leave in the house or car. I am sure there are those who have had theres shorter or longer who will tell you the same thing. If you pick a heavy gun and a poor holster you will not put it on as it wears on you. 8mpg made a good point when he said he carried a .45 and listed the holster which is one of the better ones out there.

I have a .32 Keltec I keep in my pocket when I have to wear my shirt tucked in, no tie/jacket. Some people will tell you that it will not stop anyone, but those same people will not let you shoot them with it to prove their point.

I would go to a gun show where you can pick up everything under the sun, then go to a gun store that rents them and try out the ones you liked from the gun show. This board is an outstanding source of information, however we can only tell you what worked for us. Depending on what side of town you are on you may want to see about one of the "Drive by" GTG's. If you show up with the ammo I am sure anyone would let you shoot whatever they have to see if you like it.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:15 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Sooo, I did not read the thread and I'm sure someone has mentioned that 9mm is the best, 40 cal is the best...45 is the best...

*I* have a Glock19 that I'll use. I like 9mm for the capacity (15+1) and lets face it, 1 or 2 rounds from nearly any gun will at a minimum put the other person at a severe handicap. I went with the higher capacity incase I need more rounds for whatever reason.

However, others like larger caliber rounds and I can fully understand that.

Weapon, it's your choice. My buddy hated the Glock, but he bought a S&W that was pretty much a Glock with a S&W emblem on it. *I* did not enjoy the Rugers and some of the others I shot. I like the Glock cause it feels lighter and playing around with IWB carry it seems nice.

LOTS of great guns out there. I think the more important aspect is self training. I'm great with rifles but never had any hand gun training. Will be doing IDPA at least once or twice, there is a range in greenville (sp) that allows various things that you can practice with someone who knows WTF they are doing and IMO just straight shooting at the range for accuracy will help.

I was floored when qual'ing for my CHL how pathetic a shot you can be and still pass. So do it for yourself/your family and not to pass the qual. At the end of the day I bet that self-confidence/training will pay off more then picking the perfect gun, considering it is all preference.

My '03 Sold.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 03:20 PM
duh...duh....duh

Also, not sure if mentioned but magazine extension areavailable for the glock. I believe with the glock 19 you can get a 17rd magazine, put on a fitting and it extends the magazine. Might as well get a full size g19 then though.

My '03 Sold.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Thanks for all the info guys... I really do appreciate it. I would love to come to a GTG and pay for plenty of ammo and beers back at my place afterwards, but I'm out here in Okinawa. I don't get to enjoy my car or take your advice immediately. I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before making any decisions.

I have a ? about carrying. I only wear shorts/jeans and t-shirts really. Is a IWB carry the best way to go? What happens if you bend over and it exposes the pistol... can you get in big trouble for this? I don't wear super long gangster boy t-shirts, just regular ol shirts. I'm sure you will tell me to try many different carriers and see what fits, but I'm trying to get ideas I guess. Anyone got photos w/ their carry on them?

Also, one of my good friend's dad is the Sheriff for my home town. I mentioned CHL to him and he said why not carry exposed? I don't even know if this is legal, but he said this is the answer his dad gave him. Now this guy isn't the most "booksmart" guy, but he's got a lot of common sense w/ his dad being the sheriff.

Andy
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 PM
duh...duh....duh

glocktalk.com
texaschlforum.com ***specifically this one

Those are good resources...plenty of pics and conversations around what you're interested in and focused on that.

My '03 Sold.
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post

The bigger grips dont bother me. I have med-large hands. I have shot a couple Glocks in 9mm and .40, and for some reason, I just dont like them. The gun feels cheap. The XD has a much more solid feel. I also like the grip safety of the XD.
+1

I went with the XDm.40 as my first gun. If and when I get a concealed it will be XD45 sc. Glock grips just feel so weird. My fingers just don't fit the finger contours. Sigs feel pretty good too, though they tend to weigh a bit more due to the all metal construction.

Does anyone else think that 1911 grips are just terrible? I know some guys love a 1911 but the grip just feels so weird to me.

2004 GTO <---- 690rwhp Twin Turbo meth injected.... daily driver?

1971 Torino <---- never-ending project
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Also, one of my good friend's dad is the Sheriff for my home town. I mentioned CHL to him and he said why not carry exposed? I don't even know if this is legal, but he said this is the answer his dad gave him. Now this guy isn't the most "booksmart" guy, but he's got a lot of common sense w/ his dad being the sheriff.

Andy
There are states that are open carry, Texas is not one of them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinoman460 View Post
+1

I went with the XDm.40 as my first gun. If and when I get a concealed it will be XD45 sc. Glock grips just feel so weird. My fingers just don't fit the finger contours. Sigs feel pretty good too, though they tend to weigh a bit more due to the all metal construction.

Does anyone else think that 1911 grips are just terrible? I know some guys love a 1911 but the grip just feels so weird to me.
The XD has a very 1911 like grip angle, but the contour of the grip is pretty different for sure... I don't like glocks because of their grip angle, just doesn't "point" well. Personally I love 1911's, it's tough to beat a nice 1911 trigger...

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys... I really do appreciate it. I would love to come to a GTG and pay for plenty of ammo and beers back at my place afterwards, but I'm out here in Okinawa. I don't get to enjoy my car or take your advice immediately. I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible before making any decisions.

I have a ? about carrying. I only wear shorts/jeans and t-shirts really. Is a IWB carry the best way to go? What happens if you bend over and it exposes the pistol... can you get in big trouble for this? I don't wear super long gangster boy t-shirts, just regular ol shirts. I'm sure you will tell me to try many different carriers and see what fits, but I'm trying to get ideas I guess. Anyone got photos w/ their carry on them?

Andy
What branch of the service are you in? Whenever you get back, post up and if you want to hit up a range I'll let you try any of the pistols I have and the ammo is on me. Thanks for serving

Summer weekends I usually wear shorts and t-shirt and have no problems concealing my Glock 27 with a IWB holster. I have a couple of different kinds and both are comfortable. I have a couple of pics at home I'll post up later tonight.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Rolling with the homies

BTW, if I was looking to buy a new CC gun I would seriously look at the XD9 Sub Compact. I saw a used one for sale a while back at the gun range I frequent and seriously thought about picking it up but due to the non-availability of 9mm I backed off. It's Glock lite and simple and I liked the fact that it had a rail on it which my 27 lacks (and wish it had).

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 02:43 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

I hate Glock. The look, the feel....
IF I were going plastic it would be XD all the way!

Edited...
CheapGoing for cheaper plastic XD, higher end HK would be my first choice.

Next to 1911s, the USP .45 was the best shooting pistol I have ever owned.

Last edited by Chopped54; 09-09-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement