new chl laws - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
que?

new chl laws

i know what the last 2 are, but the first is hard to understand

anyone wanna break it down to stupid man terms?

oh yea, you gotta scroll down to the second page to see the new chl laws

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/directo...n/pr081109.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
que?

i like the second law but the third is kinda dumb, why wouldn't you let a cop know that you have a chl and are carrying??
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grove rat View Post
i like the second law but the third is kinda dumb, why wouldn't you let a cop know that you have a chl and are carrying??
I DO think people should always divulge that to an officer, that being said, I don't think it should be forced.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Slingin rock on da corner

I plan on always presenting my CHL to any LEO that pulls me over.

Not intended as a "dumb cop" comment, but you can't expect every officer to be completely up to date with the new laws.

Also, from what I understand, some cops get pissy if you don't.

Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to kill them.

God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMCev View Post
sass me again and see what happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
I knew you were a titty hating fag the moment I met you.

2007 Harley Davidson Street Bob
2003 King Ranch F-150
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Arbeit Macht Frei

When a cop(has) pulled me over, I give him the DL and CHL at the same time, and the one time I was pulled over since, he just asked where it was and told me to sit tight. Still got a ticket, but there was no drama about the weapon/chl what so ever, still sucks I got the ticket though

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

They are going to find out anyway when they run your DL, why not tell them up front even if you aren't carrying?

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 06:16 AM
OC
Lifer

Quote:

From reading on here and a few other places officers have taken that to mean you need to tell them you have a CHL even if you are not carrying at that time. This would eliminate that, however I would tell them up front at the same time I give them my license. It just helps to let them know also some cops understand that if you have your CHL you have already been vetted which could work in your favor.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 06:18 AM
OC
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
I plan on always presenting my CHL to any LEO that pulls me over.

Not intended as a "dumb cop" comment, but you can't expect every officer to be completely up to date with the new laws.

Also, from what I understand, some cops get pissy if you don't.
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse......to quote one of the LEO's on this board, so that cop should know.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC View Post
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse......to quote one of the LEO's on this board, so that cop should know.
I agree with you. But, that still doesn't mean that all cops are going to heed the memo about the new law. Them being ignorant of it can spell trouble for you and I, and any other CHL'er that happens to try out the new bit of freedom.

Then again, it seems to be the general consensus on this board and one other that I frequent, that the smart thing to do is to just show them anyways. Whether carrying or not. That would eliminate the problem anyways. I'd rather the officer know I'm legal to carry, up front and in a hurry. I don't want one walking back from the cruiser wondering why I didn't tell them, and whether or not that means I've got something to hide.

I've seen the same opinion displayed here and on texaschlforum.com. It makes sense to me.

God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

2003 King Ranch F-150
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 AM
OC
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
I agree with you. But, that still doesn't mean that all cops are going to heed the memo about the new law. Them being ignorant of it can spell trouble for you and I, and any other CHL'er that happens to try out the new bit of freedom.

Then again, it seems to be the general consensus on this board and one other that I frequent, that the smart thing to do is to just show them anyways. Whether carrying or not. That would eliminate the problem anyways. I'd rather the officer know I'm legal to carry, up front and in a hurry. I don't want one walking back from the cruiser wondering why I didn't tell them, and whether or not that means I've got something to hide.

I've seen the same opinion displayed here and on texaschlforum.com. It makes sense to me.

Oh I agree as well, as soon as they turn the lights on I roll down ALL my windows, if its dark out I turn on the interior light, and keep my hands on the steering wheel until they ask for my DL and Ins. When they ask for it I give them that as well as my CHL and when they ask I let them know where the gun(s) is/are. I have only had them take the gun once and that was in GA to run the serial number, he came back gave it to me (put it in the trunk) and told me to have a nice day.

Most LEO's I have met were nice/professional but I don't want to give the one who isn't an excuse.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Lifer

What is up with this one?

Quote:
SB1188 authorizes a Texas resident to buy firearms, ammunition or firearms accessories in any other state, not just those contiguous to Texas, to reflect updated federal statutes.
Were Texas residents not allowed to purchase guns and ammo elsewhere before?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Time Served

I was on my way to the track in Denton. I got pulled over "speeding" next to another stang (being and idiot). The officer came to the window and was being a real jerk about it. I already had my hands on the steering wheel and DL, CHL and ins. in had when he walked up. I handed him my CHL, he asked where the weapon was. Luckily I wasn't carrying. He said okay and went back to his cruiser. I just knew I was getting a comp of speed ticket or something similar, but he came back asked me to sign for the ticket and told me to have a great day.
So i didn't get out of the ticket, but my CHL sure seemed to help.

03 Mach1
02 Sierra
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC View Post
Oh I agree as well, as soon as they turn the lights on I roll down ALL my windows, if its dark out I turn on the interior light, and keep my hands on the steering wheel until they ask for my DL and Ins. When they ask for it I give them that as well as my CHL and when they ask I let them know where the gun(s) is/are. I have only had them take the gun once and that was in GA to run the serial number, he came back gave it to me (put it in the trunk) and told me to have a nice day.

Most LEO's I have met were nice/professional but I don't want to give the one who isn't an excuse.
Exactly.

I've run into a few people who have the exact opposite attitude, and I don't imagine the new law will do anything to change it.

God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

2003 King Ranch F-150
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cde21 View Post
I was on my way to the track in Denton. I got pulled over "speeding" next to another stang (being and idiot). The officer came to the window and was being a real jerk about it. I already had my hands on the steering wheel and DL, CHL and ins. in had when he walked up. I handed him my CHL, he asked where the weapon was. Luckily I wasn't carrying. He said okay and went back to his cruiser. I just knew I was getting a comp of speed ticket or something similar, but he came back asked me to sign for the ticket and told me to have a great day.
So i didn't get out of the ticket, but my CHL sure seemed to help.
I haven't yet gotten pulled over since I've had my CHL. Hopefully if/when it ever happens, mine will go smoothly, like your experience.

God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

2003 King Ranch F-150
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 AM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

An LEO that pulls you over knows that when you give him your CHL, that you are a law abiding citezen and have had a thorough background check. It can only help.

Does the officer have the right to ask you where it is?

I was pulled over for window tint and gave both of course. He let me off with a warning.

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 AM
OC
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashstang04 View Post
An LEO that pulls you over knows that when you give him your CHL, that you are a law abiding citezen and have had a thorough background check. It can only help.

I was pulled over for window tint and gave both of course. He let me off with a warning.
Yes, they can actually ask you to give them the weapon during the stop. I have only had that happen once as he wanted to run the serial number, he ran it and gave it back. Otherwise they ask where it is and may just tell you not to move/reach in that general direction.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Banned

I have been pulled over three times while carrying. Twice was on my bike and once in my car. Once on the bike was on a trip going to Arkansas and we were pulled over by Oklahoma Highway Patrol. He just wanted to give us a hard time and find something wrong with our bikes. He actually did take my Glock while he was walking around our bikes. Luckily I was with my friend's dad and his friends. They are all in there 50s so he concentrated mainly on me since I was young and was carrying. He didnt find anything wrong with our bikes so he had to let us go. On a side note though when he took my Glock he popped the mag out and when he did dropped the damn thing on the ground. I was amazed lol. He did offer to buy a new mag if I wanted one, but it seemed fine to me.

The other two times both times the cops were real nice, but still issued tickets. They dont seem to mind running into someone with a CHL as long as you handle the situation appropriately. Think of how many people they pull over that never tell them they are carrying...
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Thats the ideal situation. I've heard horror stories about officers getting indignant and uppity about it; believing that the general public shouldn't be armed, and nitpicking. Never happened to me though, and I hope it never does.

God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

2003 King Ranch F-150
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Lifer

I like the law. But Im also the one who pretty mcuh decides to tell cops nothing they dont need to know.
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
que?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I like the law. But Im also the one who pretty mcuh decides to tell cops nothing they dont need to know.
if you are carrying that is something he needs to know
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Lifer

Quote:
if you are carrying that is something he needs to know
No he doesnt.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
que?

Quote:
No he doesnt.
then you should read up on the laws, if an officer asks for ID you must give him your chl and notify him that you are carrying. if you aren't carrying then you don't have to...but as soon as he runs your normal drivers license it will pop up that you have a chl...

i know people are gonna do what they want to anyways so...
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Lifer

Quote:
then you should read up on the laws, if an officer asks for ID you must give him your chl and notify him that you are carrying. if you aren't carrying then you don't have to...but as soon as he runs your normal drivers license it will pop up that you have a chl...

i know people are gonna do what they want to anyways so...
If he asks for it, he'll get it.

If he doesnt, he wont. Simple as that.

So like I said, he doesnt need to know if Im carrying or not.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
que?

Quote:
If he asks for it, he'll get it.

If he doesnt, he wont. Simple as that.

So like I said, he doesnt need to know if Im carrying or not.
when you say 'it' do you mean if he asks for id or your chl? because if he asks for id and you are carrying by law you are supposed to hand him you chl notify him that you are carrying.

well that's what was explained to me when i took my chl class
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Lifer

ID

However, there's contradictory laws in place. Since anyone can carry a loaded pistol in a car without a CHL. Which law are we falling under?

If it's on you do you show your CHL? What if it's in the glovebox?
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:09 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
ID

However, there's contradictory laws in place. Since anyone can carry a loaded pistol in a car without a CHL. Which law are we falling under?

If it's on you do you show your CHL? What if it's in the glovebox?
"On or about your person" means you are carrying. In the glovebox is "about" your person. Basically, if it is within reach, you are carrying. If it is in the trunk, you are not.

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
"On or about your person" means you are carrying. In the glovebox is "about" your person. Basically, if it is within reach, you are carrying. If it is in the trunk, you are not.
I think he is asking since one can carry all day long concealed in your vehicle..even if it is under your seat, why should he be forced to show a CHL.

Fwiw, I was told in my class unless you are under arrest you are under no legal obligation to relinquish your gun to anyone.

Also fwiw, if you get stopped walking on the street, unless I have it wrong, you are under no obligation to supply ID if you aren't committing a crime.

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:14 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
I think he is asking since one can carry all day long concealed in your vehicle..even if it is under your seat, why should he be forced to show a CHL.

Fwiw, I was told in my class unless you are under arrest you are under no legal obligation to relinquish your gun to anyone.

Also fwiw, if you get stopped walking on the street, unless I have it wrong, you are under no obligation to supply ID if you aren't committing a crime.
Quote:
GC 5411.205. DISPLAYING LICENSE; PENALTY.
(a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's
person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder
display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's
driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the
license holder's handgun license.
A person who fails or refuses to display the
license and identification as required by this subsection is subject to suspension
of the person's license as provided by Section 41 1.1 87.
(b) A person commits an offense if the person fails or refuses to
display the license and identification as required by Subsection (a)
after previously having had the person's license suspended for a violation
of that subsection. An offense under this subsection is a Class B
misdemeanor.
Quote:
GC 9411.207. AUTHORITY OF PEACE OFFICER TO DISARM.
(a) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the
officets official duties may disarm a license holder at any time the
officer reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the
license holder, officer, or another individual.
The peace officer shall
return the handgun to the license holder before discharging the license
holder from the scene if the officer determines that the license holder
is not a threat to the officer, license holder, or another individual and if
the license holder has not violated any provision of this subchapter or
committed any other violation that results in the arrest of the license
holder.
(b) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the
officets official duties may temporarily disarm a license holder when a
license holder enters a nonpublic, secure portion of a law enforcement
facility, if the law enforcement agency provides a gun locker where the
peace officer can secure the license holdets handgun. The peace
officer shall secure the handgun in the locker and shall return the
handgun to the license holder immediately after the license holder
leaves the nonpublic, secure portion of the law enforcement facility.
(c) A law enforcement facility shall prominently display at each
entrance to a nonpublic, secure portion of the facility a slgn that gives
notice in both English and Spanish that, under this section, a peace
officer may temporarily disarm a license holder when the license
holder enters the nonpublic, secure portion of the facility. The sign
must appear in contrasting colors with black letters at least one inch-in
height. The sign shall be displayed in a clearly visible and consplcuous
manner.
(d) In this section:
(I) "Law enforcement facility" means a building or a portion of a
building used exclusively by a law enforcement agency that employs
peace officers as described by Articles 2.12(1) and (3), Code of Criminal
Procedure, and support personnel to conduct the official business
of the agency. The term does not include:
(A) any portion of a building not actively used exclusively to
conduct the official business of the agency; or
(B) any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk, walkway,
parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
(2) "Nonpublic, secure portion of a law enforcement facility"
means that portion of a law enforcement facility to which the general
public is denied access without express permission and to which
access is granted solely to conduct the official business of the law
enforcement agency.

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:

Keywords....

..reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the

If you are sitting in your car..he has no right unless you verbally give him cause.

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 07:11 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Keywords....

..reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the

If you are sitting in your car..he has no right unless you verbally give him cause.
There are officers that don't believe civilians should be able to carry. Those are the ones that will typically disarm you whether you are giving any kind of cause or not. I'm not going to argue with them they decide to disarm me. If it makes the stop less stressful for the officer, so be it. It will also be less stressful on me.

Fact of the matter is, the law says they can and some do. Challenge it with the officer and see what happens.

post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
There are officers that don't believe civilians should be able to carry. Those are the ones that will typically disarm you whether you are giving any kind of cause or not. I'm not going to argue with them they decide to disarm me. If it makes the stop less stressful for the officer, so be it. It will also be less stressful on me.

Fact of the matter is, the law says they can and some do. Challenge it with the officer and see what happens.
No kidding. Arguing whether they have "reasonable" cause ain't gonna make the situation improve. Heck, at that point, he could argue he was fearful of you and draw on that.

And yes, there are some that think civilians with CHL is worse than a criminal with a gun. I met one.

Was with a friend that got pulled over one night. He was CHL and carrying IWB strong side. Officer asked for the gun, requesting a cross draw with the left hand, finger-thumb holding only. My friend gave him the gun, warned that it was chambered. Officer took it, then came back with a speeding ticket and had unchambered the round. Handed the gun, the bullet and magazine back and asked him not to reload until the officer left.

I like the new rules.
First, is just qualifying for CHL. Looks like you can't be denied if you defaulted on a student loan.
Second, yay to must have 51 on the front of the business! Instead of guessing, not being sure and you getting fined/arrested for improper signage.
Third, I never had an issue if I got pulled over to show CHL. Just seems like a good thing to do. I guess people have a right to "privacy", which seems retarded 'cause when the officer runs your license, he'll know you have a CHL.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Time Served

I usually do not get harrassed for CHL during stops. Only one time in particular was it an issue. A motorcycle cop pulled me over for 45 in a 30. As he came to the window I handed him my CHL first as I fished around for my ID and insurance. He reamed my ass about how I need to hand him my DL and CHL togehter and demonstrated as if I was too dense to comprehend what he meant. He was an arrogant little revenue generator. Other than that it has never been an issue and more often than not I get a break. I don't get pulled over often, but the few tickets I did get out of have more than paid for the CHL itself.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
que?

Quote:
a cop can disarm you at anytime if they wish. most don't, but any of them can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement