Lifer

CHL and Ride A longs

Is it allowed if you go on a PD Ride A Long to carry with your CHL? Thx

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:30 PM
The token Asian guy

No. I was told verbally and had to sign a sheet acknowledging I was notified.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 PM
I Я Invizabul

I carried when I did a ride along with fort worth a while back. I wasnt notified at all though so I dont know if I was supposed to or not.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead View Post
What? Is it against the law? What if you and the PO come under fire?

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_fiux View Post
Probably not against the law. Probably just liability.

...if I had to guess.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Time Served

Depends on the department. My brother works as a city administrator and in two different cities they have had different policies on assisting the officer when doing ride alongs. In a smaller more Hick town the officer showed him how to release the shotgun if he got into trouble, while in a larger urban city the officer told him specifically to stay in the car if he got into trouble.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
Depends on the department. My brother works as a city administrator and in two different cities they have had different policies on assisting the officer when doing ride alongs. In a smaller more Hick town the officer showed him how to release the shotgun if he got into trouble, while in a larger urban city the officer told him specifically to stay in the car if he got into trouble.
See thats why I asked. When I interned at 2 different depts, one in HS and one in College, One told me the the exact same thing about "if shit goes down..." The other one kind of hinted at it. I would think since you already pass a background check, you have your CHL and shit hits the fan it would be accepted. Its just like carrying around town, now you are actually assisting an officer if things go sour. I guess i will have to find out.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 05:11 AM
Doughnut Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
I carried when I did a ride along with fort worth a while back. I wasnt notified at all though so I dont know if I was supposed to or not.
Hmmmm. Wink wink nudge nudge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_fiux View Post
Your safety is the Officers responsibility and the rules change a little because of that. Any good Officer will let you know what tools are available to you and how/when you can get them (depending on whether he/she knows you and your abilities). At the very least you will be told how to summon help with the emergency buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead View Post
Does it say that? I haven't read that thing in a long time.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:46 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadhead View Post
Hmmmm. Wink wink nudge nudge?
I would still like to roll out on a ride along with ya one of these days. Is there a waver to sign?

Last edited by Pokulski-Blatz; 08-10-2009 at 02:25 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:18 PM
que?

i would like to do a ride a along

how would one go about going for a ride a along in dallas?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:24 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by grove rat View Post
i would like to do a ride a along

how would one go about going for a ride a along in dallas?
You should be able to go to any local sub-station and schedule a date.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Doughnut Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
I would still like to roll out on a ride along with ya one of these days. Is there a waver to sign?
Yep. The "It's not our fault if you get hurt or die" waiver.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Lifer

I know when I did a ride along with FTWPD off lancaster, I was tild how the code to unlock the shotgun and told grab it if it is needed and he is under fire. That was a very everntfull night, friday night 3-11 in the hood.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadhead View Post
Yep. The "It's not our fault if you get hurt or die" waiver.
Id like to go on a ride along some time. I was going to go with one of Rachel's friends but he's in trouble so often that he cant normally have ride alongs .
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:27 AM
Lifer

From the FWPD Ride-In instructions:

4. Whether or not you have a concealed Handgun License, if you are found to be armed with anyfirearm or prohibited weapon, your request to participate in future "Ride-Ins" will be automatically denied. You may also be subject to arrest for any such violation as per the Texas Penal Code.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:55 AM
que?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post

4. Whether or not you have a concealed Handgun License, if you are found to be armed with anyfirearm or prohibited weapon, your request to participate in future "Ride-Ins" will be automatically denied. You may also be subject to arrest for any such violation as per the Texas Penal Code.
boo! that sucks
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grove rat View Post
boo! that sucks
Remember, I don't make the rules....
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Lifer

I was a rider with a friend of mine in the Sheriffs Dept last week. I was not able to bring any of my guns along. It wasn't on any paperwork I signed, it was just in my friends paperwork. I did get a quick lesson on how to unlatch the shotgun/AR15.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 03:53 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:

Thats some gay shit.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:

Thanks for the info.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Thanks for the info.
Well, you have to think about it this way:

The rules were made for someone that the officer will probably not know. When going to a call that might involve violence (duh - really?) the officer will have to worry about the person called about, and maybe the person with a gun that's behind him. Officers have to make split second decisions, and the ride in with the CHL will more than likely not have the training and/or experiance that the officer has.

Also, what if the ride along gets his gun taken away from him. Now the officer has another gun to worry about.

If the officer knows the ride along, I'm sure the department would never know if the ride along was packing a CHL.

Personally, if I didn't know the person, I would feel better not having that one extra thing in the back of my mind while answering calls.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:13 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:

The rules were made for someone that the officer will probably not know. When going to a call that might involve violence (duh - really?) the officer will have to worry about the person called about, and maybe the person with a gun that's behind him. Officers have to make split second decisions, and the ride in with the CHL will more than likely not have the training and/or experiance that the officer has.

Also, what if the ride along gets his gun taken away from him. Now the officer has another gun to worry about.

If the officer knows the ride along, I'm sure the department would never know if the ride along was packing a CHL.

Personally, if I didn't know the person, I would feel better not having that one extra thing in the back of my mind while answering calls.
Nothing to worry about, I was only carrying chloroform, a rag, and some rope last time.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:29 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:

Honestly I totally understand where a officer would be coming from with this. Some of the people that have CHLs I dont like being around anyhow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement