Security and PoPo dont know the law - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Cummins > Powerstroke

Security and PoPo dont know the law

Well, I got into an argument at work about whether it was legal to carry in a hospital or not with the security guard at work. His old ass kept tell me "I know the law, I have been taught the law". I kept telling the guy that the hospital needs a 30.06 to keep people from carrying. He then went on to tell me if I ever come into the hospital carrying, he will have me arrested and I can tell the police officer the law on my way out. Our hospital has this sign:

Later that day an officer just happened to be walking in and the security guy stopped him and asked him what the law sates. The police office told him that a hospital is an UNLAWFUL place to carry. He came and told me what the police officer said...I told him he is still wrong. Our MOB (medical office building) has a correct 30.06 sign:

I told the security guy and showed him the 30.06 and told him that I cannot come into that entrance but any other one not marked I could. Again, "I know the law...I have been taught the law and you are wrong...one sign on the building covers the whole building". So I printed out the law fuck that old fuck.

Quote:
UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.

1. A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code , and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.

(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:

(1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;

(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

(3) on the premises of a correctional facility;

(4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;

(5) in an amusement park; or

(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

(c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental entity.

(d) A license holder commits an offense if, while intoxicated, the license holder carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed.

(e) A license holder who is licensed as a security officer under the Private Investigators and Private Security Agencies Act (Article 4413(29bb), Vernon's Texas Civil Statutes) and employed as a security officer commits an offense if, while in the course and scope of the security officer's employment, the security officer violates a provision of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code.

(f) In this section:

(1) "Amusement park" means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

(2) "License holder" means a person licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code.

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

(g) An offense under Subsection (a), (b), (c), (d), or (e) is a Class A misdemeanor, unless the offense is committed under Subsection (b)(1) or (b)(3), in which event the offense is a felony of the third degree.

(h) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a) that the actor, at the time of the commission of the offense, displayed the handgun under circumstances in which the actor would have been justified in the use of deadly force under Chapter 9.

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

PC §4{xe "Possession of firearm by felon, Unlawful"}6{xe "Felon,possession of firearm by"}.0{xe "Firearm-"}{xe "Possession by felon"}4.
His is 1/2 correct...the law says its unlawful, but he didnt see the subsections. Moral of the story...hospital is a legal carry unless marked at EVERY entrance by a 30.06

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Probably a battle you will wish you hadn't fought.

Oh and it is my understanding that even if only one entrance is posted properly, every entrance is covered. Better to err on the side of the law so you don't land your ass behind bars.

Quote:
Sec. 30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:

(1) carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and

(2) received notice that:

(A) entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden; or

(B) remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was forbidden and failed to depart.

(b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.

(c) In this section:

(1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).

(2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).

(3) "Written communication" means:

(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or

(B) a sign posted on the property that:

(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;

(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and

(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1261, Sec. 23, eff. Sept. 1, 1997. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 9.24, eff. Sept. 1, 1999; Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1178, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
Nowhere does it specify that it has to be posted at every entrance. Even though it does not specify that only one entrance counts, I wouldn't want to face trial for alledgedly violating it.

Last edited by HOOCBB; 08-03-2009 at 01:15 PM.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post

Oh and it is my understanding that even if only one entrance is posted properly, every entrance is covered. Better to err on the side of the law so you don't land your ass behind bars.

Nowhere does it specify that it has to be posted at every entrance. Even though it does not specify that only one entrance counts, I wouldn't want to face trial for alledgedly violating it.
I dont carry to work, but I could on my days off. I was trying to tell the security and the house supervisor that the sign on the main entrance was illegal and would not stop someone with a CHL from carrying. I was actually informing the illegal sign and how if they want to stop people it has to be a 30.06.

If you check most other hospitals (I was recently at North Hills Hospital), the 30.06 is posted at the ER entrance as well as the main lobby entrance. It must be posted at each door to prevent entrance. Just like at Grapevine Mills Mall...the main entrances are covered by a legal 30.06, but if you go into a store with a private entrance, it is legal.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
PENAL CODE

PC {xe "Trespass, Criminal"}§{xe "Entry, defined"}3{xe "Notice-"}{xe "Defined"}0{xe "Criminal trespass"}.0{xe "Criminal trespass"}{xe "Crops grown for human consumption"}5.

Criminal Trespass

(a) A person commits an offense if he enters or remains on property or in a building of another without effective consent and he:

(1) had notice that the entry was forbidden; or

(2) received notice to depart but failed to do so.

(b) For purposes of this section:

(1) "Entry" means the intrusion of the entire body.

(2) "Notice" means:

(A) oral or written communication by the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner;

(B) fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders or to contain livestock;

(C) a sign or signs posted on the property or at the entrance to the building, reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders, indicating that entry is forbidden;

(D) the placement of identifying purple paint marks on trees or posts on the property, provided that the marks are:

(i) vertical lines of not less than eight inches in length and not less than one inch in width;

(ii) placed so that the bottom of the mark is not less than three feet from the ground or more than five feet from the ground; and

(iii) placed at locations that are readily visible to any person approaching the property and no more than:

1. 100 feet apart on forest land; or

(b) 1,000 feet apart on land other than forest land; or

(E) the visible presence on the property of a crop grown for human consumption that is under cultivation, in the process of being harvested, or marketable if harvested at the time of entry.

(3) "Shelter center" has the meaning assigned by Section 51.002(1), Human Resources Code.

(4) "Forest land" means land on which the trees are potentially valuable for timber products.

(c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor at the time of the offense was a fire fighter or emergency medical services personnel, as that term is defined by Section 773.003, Health and Safety Code, acting in the lawful discharge of an official duty under exigent circumstances.

(d) An offense under this section is a Cl ass B misdemeanor unless it is committed in a habitation or a shelter center or unless the actor carries a deadly weapon on or about his person during the commission of the offense, in which event it is a Class A misdemeanor.

(e) A person does not have or receive notice under Subsection (b)(2)(D) unless a sign is placed at each entrance for vehicles to the property that gives notice that the presence of purple paint marks on trees or posts on the property indicates that entry is forbidden. The sign required under this subsection must be not less than two feet by three feet in size with block letters at least two inches in height. This subsection expires September 1, 1998.
Under the 30.05(b) it says you have to have a sign at the entrance that will bring attention to the intruder. If its not on the door or right around the door, you cant say the person was warned.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:32 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
I dont carry to work, but I could on my days off. I was trying to tell the security and the house supervisor that the sign on the main entrance was illegal and would not stop someone with a CHL from carrying. I was actually informing the illegal sign and how if they want to stop people it has to be a 30.06.

If you check most other hospitals (I was recently at North Hills Hospital), the 30.06 is posted at the ER entrance as well as the main lobby entrance. It must be posted at each door to prevent entrance. Just like at Grapevine Mills Mall...the main entrances are covered by a legal 30.06, but if you go into a store with a private entrance, it is legal.
Why would you want to bring the lack of the proper signage to their attention? That's like asking them to put up the correct sign so you can't carry on your day off. I don't see the point you are trying to accomplish.

If you are simply trying to educate the security guard on the law, I think I'd leave it alone. And cops have to deal with so many changes to the law every couple of years, you can't expect them to know every law inside and out.

Can you show me something that says it must be posted at every entrance?

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Why would you want to bring the lack of the proper signage to their attention? That's like asking them to put up the correct sign so you can't carry on your day off. I don't see the point you are trying to accomplish.
He's young, thinks he knows it all, and likes to argue. That pretty much covers it.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Worship me

A sign at one door isn't "reasonably likely" to come to the attention of someone entering another door.

You should ask the security guard if he ever wonders why he is just a security guard and makes $10 an hour.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:35 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Under the 30.05(b) it says you have to have a sign at the entrance that will bring attention to the intruder. If its not on the door or right around the door, you cant say the person was warned.
That has NOTHING to do with 30.06. You can be given verbal notice under 30.06 and it is just as good as a sign.

Sounds to me like you just fucked up by allowing the security guard to give you verbal notice. IANAL, but I would think that would carry over to the next time you are on the premises.

post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:36 PM
I wish I were cool...

Perhaps someone should just put three rounds in the SG and call it a day, end of arguement...

The Cobra has run a best of 13.58 ET finally 104 mph on stock engine, no blowers, no turbos, no NOS! Note I said HAS run, now it sits on bald tires in the driveway, but the speedometer and A/C work again!!! 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege Zoom, Zoom, Zoom... It's turboed I get three Zooms biatch!!!!

Hey baby... how about a little Boom Boom in my Zoom Zoom?
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
That has NOTHING to do with 30.06. You can be given verbal notice under 30.06 and it is just as good as a sign.

Sounds to me like you just fucked up by allowing the security guard to give you verbal notice. IANAL, but I would think that would carry over to the next time you are on the premises.
Read the law about the 30.06...it says 30.05(b) is the definition of entry and is used to interpret the 30.06

We just happen to be discussing the whole having a gun on campus. We have a security guard that has a pager is something goes wrong. He isnt doing shit if someone brings a gun in. The cop also said it was an illegal carry in a hospital. They are wrong.

And to have a verbal notice (which he gave to me and I dont carry at work to begin with), he has to have authority to represent the owner. The security guy doesnt work for the hospital. I dont think the owner of the property gives the guy making $10/hr the responsibility to make those decisions

(b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:20 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Ok, let's step back for just a second.

What hospital are we talking about?

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason94Cobra View Post
Perhaps someone should just put three rounds in the SG and call it a day, end of arguement...
Shut up and get out of this thread.

Quote:

If you are simply trying to educate the security guard on the law, I think I'd leave it alone. And cops have to deal with so many changes to the law every couple of years, you can't expect them to know every law inside and out.

Can you show me something that says it must be posted at every entrance?
I would not have brought it to their attention on purpose if it were a place I go often, but I do often use it to strike up a conversation.

How can a police officer enforce the law if you do not know the law? (Feel free to ignore that...I do get your point, I just hate it when cops say that and then tell a person "Ignorance is no excuse" when they make a mistake like no trailer chains or no headlight on a bike.)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 02:49 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

If I see a location without the correct sign, I do not point it out to them.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW View Post
If I see a location without the correct sign, I do not point it out to them.
Im not worried at all...the security guard barely does his job. Its a small/quiet hospital on the weekends (when he works) and he spends his day watching movies on his laptop and doing his homework (becoming a parole officer). He wont lift a finger if he doesnt have to.

The house supervisor that we were talking to is a CHL holder.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:

At one entrance, say only at the ER like the 2 in Denton have (white letters on a clear glass automatic door that moves back and forth), doesn't seem very fitting of the requirement to be "displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public."
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
A sign at one door isn't "reasonably likely" to come to the attention of someone entering another door.

You should ask the security guard if he ever wonders why he is just a security guard and makes $10 an hour.
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:26 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post

I would not have brought it to their attention on purpose if it were a place I go often, but I do often use it to strike up a conversation.

How can a police officer enforce the law if you do not know the law? (Feel free to ignore that...I do get your point, I just hate it when cops say that and then tell a person "Ignorance is no excuse" when they make a mistake like no trailer chains or no headlight on a bike.)
I agree with you fully. It seems to me that some departments may not be as proactive about officers keeping up with the changes in the laws or leave it to the officer to figure it out away from work. A lot of times departments/officers may not worry about the laws that they do not deal with on a regular basis, like the CHL laws.

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:38 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
At one entrance, say only at the ER like the 2 in Denton have (white letters on a clear glass automatic door that moves back and forth), doesn't seem very fitting of the requirement to be "displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public."Word.
My point is that he is aware of the other door's posting. I am under the opinion that he would be in violation by using another entrance while carrying because he has knowledge of the posting.

post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:01 PM
I wish I were cool...

Quote:
awwwww, if I cared about your opinion I might get my feelings hurt....

The Cobra has run a best of 13.58 ET finally 104 mph on stock engine, no blowers, no turbos, no NOS! Note I said HAS run, now it sits on bald tires in the driveway, but the speedometer and A/C work again!!! 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege Zoom, Zoom, Zoom... It's turboed I get three Zooms biatch!!!!

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Founding Member

My US Post Office doesnt have a 30.06 sign. That mean it's ok to carry in?

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:08 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19 View Post
There's a federal law that says you can't carry in a post office IIRC.

Quote:
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
I think Tony is correct and it falls under a federal law though the USPS is private

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
There's a federal law that says you can't carry in a post office IIRC.
Just like I thought it was a known not to carry in a hospital,church, or courthouse.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Just like I thought it was a known not to carry in a hospital,church, or courthouse.
Church and hospital are both legal to carry if no 30.06. I dont think a courthouse is

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:12 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Church and hospital are both legal to carry if no 30.06. I dont think a courthouse is
you can't carry at a courthouse, trust me.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:28 PM
LUCIFER

Every entrance that patients can come in has the 30.06 posted at our facility

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason94Cobra View Post
awwwww, if I cared about your opinion I might get my feelings hurt....
Ok.

I hate it when people make stupid comments like that. Joke or not, you reflect poorly on the gun owning/carrying crowd.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 04:58 PM
I wish I were cool...

Quote:
Ok.

I hate it when people make stupid comments like that. Joke or not, you reflect poorly on the gun owning/carrying crowd.
at least you can tell I am not an Obama supporter....

post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:20 PM
The token Asian guy

Verbal notice trumps any sign, legit or not. The security guard verbally told you not to carry there, in one way or another. I would not want to argue against that in court.

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Eh, I keep that shit to myself, thats why its concealed carry

If I know im not breaking any laws, I dont advertise im carrying, especially at work. Too many ways to be fired for that, even if you did/didnt know you could/couldnt carry there(aside from say a hospital or wherever)

Yeah, I like to try to educate people too, but that old security douche now has a mission to keep an eye on you for sure
EVEN though I dont know why on earth he would have a problem with a law abiding citizen carrying a weapon legally, hell id take that as a potential back up if some shit went down.

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead View Post
Verbal notice trumps any sign, legit or not. The security guard verbally told you not to carry there, in one way or another. I would not want to argue against that in court.
Bingo. This is what I learned in my CHL class. They can issue a writ of Trespass and ask you to leave the premises even with a hand made cardboard sign or verbal. The 30.06 is only the "LAWFUL" sign, by which then you are prosecuted under the law.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Really?
Quote:
Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:
(1) on the premises of a business that has a permit or license issued under Chapter 25, 28, 32, 69, or 74, Alcoholic Beverage Code, if the business derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, as determined by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission under Section 104.06, Alcoholic Beverage Code;
(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;
(3) on the premises of a correctional facility;
(4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home licensed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home administration, as appropriate;
(5) in an amusement park; or
(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

(c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental entity.
(d) A license holder commits an offense if, while intoxicated, the license holder carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed.
(e) A license holder who is licensed as a security officer under Chapter 1702, Occupations Code, and employed as a security officer commits an offense if, while in the course and scope of the security officer's employment, the security officer violates a provision of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code.
(f) In this section:
(1) "Amusement park" means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
(2) "License holder" means a person licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code.
(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
(g) An offense under Subsection (a), (b), (c), (d), or (e) is a Class A misdemeanor, unless the offense is committed under Subsection (b)(1) or (b)(3), in which event the offense is a felony of the third degree.
(h) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a) that the actor, at the time of the commission of the offense, displayed the handgun under circumstances in which the actor would have been justified in the use of deadly force under Chapter 9.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:24 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Really?
The very next subsection:
Quote:
(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Quote:
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
The very next subsection:
I see it.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Really?
Really

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Really
In our class over 5 years ago the instructor just read that you do not carry in those places. I wouldn't of thought signage was an issue.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
In our class over 5 years ago the instructor just read that you do not carry in those places. I wouldn't of thought signage was an issue.
Who knows man...laws change all the time. Might have been correct a couple years ago.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

That might have been a 2005 change, not really sure though. It was on the books when I took my class in 2007.

post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Lifer

Better check your employee handbook. If it's covered and you get caught with it, you're screwed. You are expected to know the policies of your employer.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 06:27 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Better check your employee handbook. If it's covered and you get caught with it, you're screwed. You are expected to know the policies of your employer.
It was explained to me that it depends on how it is worded in the handbook. Basically, the handbook must have the proper 30.06 wording. If it does not, you will need to know what the signature page you signed said. If it says anything along the lines of "...was explained to me..." you are pretty much screwed because that would more than likely be construed as verbal notification.

My employee handbook says no weapons, but isn't 30.06 worded and the signature page only says I have received a copy of the handbook. So, I'm good. They can fire me, but I think I'm safe from criminal trespass...for now.

post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 06:37 AM
Lifer

Quote:
It was explained to me that it depends on how it is worded in the handbook. Basically, the handbook must have the proper 30.06 wording. If it does not, you will need to know what the signature page you signed said. If it says anything along the lines of "...was explained to me..." you are pretty much screwed because that would more than likely be construed as verbal notification.

My employee handbook says no weapons, but isn't 30.06 worded and the signature page only says I have received a copy of the handbook. So, I'm good. They can fire me, but I think I'm safe from criminal trespass...for now.
The "no weapons" is pretty damn clear to me.

The "I think" is what gets a lot of people in trouble.

Just remember the saying, "you can beat the wrap, but you can't beat the ride", meaning you might not be found guilty, but you'll go to jail, post bond, have to pay $$$ for an atty, and have a criminal record. All for "I think".

Is this a fight worth getting into?
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
I thought it doesnt apply when you are not working.

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I thought it doesnt apply when you are not working.
Not. You are required as a condition of employment to follow the rules of your employer. Off or not doesn't matter. Can you imagine approaching a jury with that excuse: "I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen of the jury, but my client was off the clock at that time and didn't realize the rules applied to him"....

Sounds kinda lame, don't you agree?
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Not. You are required as a condition of employment to follow the rules of your employer. Off or not doesn't matter. Can you imagine approaching a jury with that excuse: "I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen of the jury, but my client was off the clock at that time and didn't realize the rules applied to him"....

Sounds kinda lame, don't you agree?
good call

1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 05:51 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

I'm actually allowed to carry my firearm to work. The owner of our building actually encourages it.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
I'm actually allowed to carry my firearm to work. The owner of our building actually encourages it.
Hell yea! You're the poor MF'er he's gonna hide behind when he has to fire that unstable person!

He ain't stupid!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement