Shotgun Which one? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ft worth
Posts: 749
Shotgun Which one?

Ok well I have been meaning to do this for a while but the other day gave me the incentive. Someone hopped my fence with my girl there but my dog detoured his ass. She did have a .22 lr but with the input of several others here I have decided to upgrade to a shotgun for home defense. I had been looking for a Norinco 982 which is a Rem 870 clone but there are 0 available anywhere. There is a member on this forum with a 870 for sale but its still over $300. I went to Dick's and found a New England Firearms Pardner Pump 12 gauge shotgun for $220. From what I have seen on the net this a 870 clone as well that has a good rep. I'm trying to keep it around $200 do you guys have any suggestions of other reliable brands. I do have a couple of ar-15's but they are locked up and I don't want to worry about where the rounds end up if I have to use one of those.
arix is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 157
Go to Academy and get the Mossberg Maverick/88 for < $200. They have two versions, one with the long barrel and one with both barrels (short and long).

Made in Texas and a good basic shotgun.
goofygrin is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:43 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Just buy a 870, you wont regret it at all.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 723
+1 on the mossberg; i bought the 28" mossberg and cut the barrel down to 18.5"
cost me 189.00



2009 STRYKER BLUE pontiYACK G8 GT stock for now

03 AZURE MACH1 305 rwhp, 325RWTQ TUNED BY [email protected]<----------------------------SOLD

06 TRUEBLUE SUPERCREW F150 5.4L
ScottsMach03 is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Painting Your House
 
BlackSnake1996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denton County, Texas
Posts: 10,734
The Definder serves me well.
BlackSnake1996 is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSnake1996 View Post
The Definder serves me well.
Definder..hmm whos that made by. Sounds interesting.
I ve heard of the defender but not the definder



2009 STRYKER BLUE pontiYACK G8 GT stock for now

03 AZURE MACH1 305 rwhp, 325RWTQ TUNED BY [email protected]<----------------------------SOLD

06 TRUEBLUE SUPERCREW F150 5.4L
ScottsMach03 is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 PM
LUCIFER
 
bjtheman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Aubrey
Posts: 5,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
Go to Academy and get the Mossberg Maverick/88 for < $200. They have two versions, one with the long barrel and one with both barrels (short and long).

Made in Texas and a good basic shotgun.
That's the one I want also

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED


bjtheman1 is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Joshua Texas
Posts: 603
x2 on the mossberg had one for years and been a great shot shotgun.


2000 Black GT Conv.
07 Kawasaki ZZR 600 (Recovered by the good guys)
84 Jeep CJ-7 (My Toy)
04 Lincoln Aviator (Her Toy)
2000 vert is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Painting Your House
 
BlackSnake1996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Denton County, Texas
Posts: 10,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsMach03 View Post
Definder..hmm whos that made by. Sounds interesting.
I ve heard of the defender but not the definder
LOL. Spellin ownes me often.
BlackSnake1996 is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
 
HOOCBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DFW MUSTANGS . NET
Posts: 3,771
If your girl may have to use it, you may want to take a look at a 20 gauge, especially if she's a small girl

HOOCBB is offline  
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 09:50 AM
In the field
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Terrell, TX
Posts: 1,280
870- I'm not of fan of the loud clanky action of the mossberg.

Black on Black 02' Z28
Lowered on Black Z06 wheels

"A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"
Pewter Y2K Z28 is offline  
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Rolling with the homies
 
evil jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Oak Cliff... that's my hood...
Posts: 43,271
You could probably stick with the 12 and go with reduced recoil shells also. Never shot any so I don't know how bad the recoil is but just a thought.

I personally have a Winchester 1300 Defender and before that I had the 1200. No problems with it but it's not like I regularly shoot it or anything. If I had to do it over again I'd probably go with the 870 simply because there are more accessories for them and I always find stuff used for the 870 but rarely for the Defender.

Have you looked at some of the gun boards for a used shotgun?




2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew


1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

evil jose is offline  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:53 AM
<Insert Title Here>
 
IHaveAMustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Grand Prairie, TX
Posts: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
You could probably stick with the 12 and go with reduced recoil shells also. Never shot any so I don't know how bad the recoil is but just a thought.

I personally have a Winchester 1300 Defender and before that I had the 1200. No problems with it but it's not like I regularly shoot it or anything. If I had to do it over again I'd probably go with the 870 simply because there are more accessories for them and I always find stuff used for the 870 but rarely for the Defender.

Have you looked at some of the gun boards for a used shotgun?
x2

I have never purchased a firearm "new" from a store...

Anyways head over to texasguntrader.com (craigslist of firearms) and take a peek at Glocktalk.com.

Texas gun trader is pretty decent but I have to admit through some searching and bartering I found most of my firearms on GT and for good prices.




IHaveAMustang is offline  
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: houston
Posts: 787
+1 on mossberg.

I have a Mossberg Mav 88 that I bought for under $200.

For a little more the Mossberg 500 is the best bang for your buck

http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products

sick96GT is offline  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by sick96GT View Post
+1 on mossberg.

I have a Mossberg Mav 88 that I bought for under $200.

For a little more the Mossberg 500 is the best bang for your buck

http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products
If your girl is small, get the Mossberg 500 Bantam in 20 guage and buy a box of slugs.

Remember, even with bird shot she'd have to be able to aim at self defense distances.

The gun at Walmart is running $209 plus tax.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Lifer
 
Hmbre97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hutto, TX
Posts: 1,198
Another +1 for the Maverick 88. The 18.5" barrel model is branded as the Security model. I got mine for $189 and most Mossberg 500 accessories fit it.

-Herb-
03 Torch Red Mach 1

Last edited by Hmbre97; 07-29-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Hmbre97 is offline  
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 02:47 PM
dee
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,188
[QUOTE=03trubluGT;5818681]Remember, even with bird shot she'd have to be able to aim at self defense distances.[/QUOTE

I was gonna say that but you can get some bird shot loads in 12 that don't recoil that bad. I'm sure people will say bird shot is not good for HD but at close range I've scattered a cottontail all over a barbedwire fence with bird shot.
dee is offline  
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: ft worth
Posts: 749
Thanks I will check that Texas guntrader site. I had looked on Ar-15.com but have not found much. She is a small girl at 5'3" 100 lbs. I was concerned about the 12 gauge punch for her. I did have a light 20 gauge at one time and it kicked hard as well. With some lighter loads I'm hoping she can handle the 12. I'm going to track down a 870 or mossburg.
arix is offline  
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:05 PM
dee
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,188
Snake Charmer might work but is single shot which sucks and .410 is more expensive.
dee is offline  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 544
When I was in the Navy the shotgun course was by far the most entertaining of all shoots. Watching 5'3" 100lb girls shoot a Mossberg 500 with "00" buckshot for the first time was always exciting. I've seen guys hurt themselves too....

What I remember:

1) Dislocated shoulder
2) Torn pectoral muscle
3) Gun going backwards through the air
4) Severely bruised and torn bicep
5) One total knockdown onto the rear end

Yep good times....

You want a shotgun get a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, everything else is just for show or bragging rights.

I got a Rem 870 off this board last week for less than $300 and there were two in the classifieds. I'd tell you how much, but I don't want you to cry. However, I could probably run for king of the DFWstangs cheap bastard club.

The military used good ole "00" with 2 3/4" shells and 9 pellets per shell and full length shotguns.... I don't see any reason to deviate from those specs unless you want to look cool. I'm all about function not form or bling when it comes to weapons.

If you have to aim a shotgun, you haven't trained your instincts worth a darn yet. Rack, point, BOOM!

Spend money on ammo and practice.....

I think next time I go out shooting... I'm gonna do a military style shotgun shoot for my friends and I. That will be fun.
AnthonyS is offline  
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 05:40 PM
reo
Lima Lima Mike Foxtrot
 
reo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wylie
Posts: 1,174
I have a 870 in 12ga. and have fired my friends 88, and besides the 870 "feeling" better made, there really isn't much difference. Also, I don't think the 12ga is a must. If you can, get her to a range and test out the 12 and 20ga. If not, well, maybe a 20ga wont be so bad.

Also, the Maverick 88's ain't a bad gun, but beware that some models were not made with a majority of Mossberg 500 parts, therefore are not compatible with the 500 accessories. Of course, like someone said on here already, there really isn't much you need to put on there.

On my 870 I put a M4 style stock on it due to my wife not having the arm length that I have, so with the stock shortened, she can control it alot better. Don't know if the 88's have that option or not.

Hope this all helps,

-Eric

Official Adrenaline Donor
1971 Chevy C-10 LWB - 350/350 with some fun parts.
1999 GMC 2500 LWB

"Why do they call this route the 'Widowmaker'?"
"I'm not sure, maybe route 'Oh God we're all going to die' was taken..."
reo is offline  
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 32
Dude TGT just posted a Mossberg Maverick for $125. It's in Palmer which is just south of Dallas on 45
caphero is offline  
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The hooker Hotel
Posts: 569
You can't go wrong with the Mossberg. Federal has some OUTSTANDING reduced recoil loads in their Law Enforcement line of ammo. My mom is a small gal and not much into guns but she can tear it up using a 590 with the Federal LE load #LE133.
svo855 is offline  
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 03:54 AM
Robert Galarga
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,256
i recently bought a maverick for 50 bucks!!! pistol grip too

2004 pontiac gtslow
Stephen is offline  
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
I have a 870 in 12ga. and have fired my friends 88, and besides the 870 "feeling" better made, there really isn't much difference. Also, I don't think the 12ga is a must. If you can, get her to a range and test out the 12 and 20ga. If not, well, maybe a 20ga wont be so bad.

Also, the Maverick 88's ain't a bad gun, but beware that some models were not made with a majority of Mossberg 500 parts, therefore are not compatible with the 500 accessories. Of course, like someone said on here already, there really isn't much you need to put on there.

On my 870 I put a M4 style stock on it due to my wife not having the arm length that I have, so with the stock shortened, she can control it alot better. Don't know if the 88's have that option or not.

Hope this all helps,

-Eric
I respect your opinion, but I've shot many 870's and my 500 feels just as good and shoots just as good. I also have a 88 and the only difference in the 88 and 500 is the forearm guards and barrel. 500 has adjustable choke and the 88 doesnt. Both have the same action. I cleaned my 500 for the first time in years and when I removed the barrel exposing the underside of the forearm it looked like a muddobber made a nest in there. I never knew or could tell a difference in performance.



2009 STRYKER BLUE pontiYACK G8 GT stock for now

03 AZURE MACH1 305 rwhp, 325RWTQ TUNED BY [email protected]<----------------------------SOLD

06 TRUEBLUE SUPERCREW F150 5.4L
ScottsMach03 is offline  
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by svo855 View Post
You can't go wrong with the Mossberg. Federal has some OUTSTANDING reduced recoil loads in their Law Enforcement line of ammo. My mom is a small gal and not much into guns but she can tear it up using a 590 with the Federal LE load #LE133.
Ammoman.com had these for $299 shipped for 250 shells........mine arrived the other day. I bought them so the wife could run the 12ga without putting her on her ass. They even work well in my Mossberg 930 SPX and of course the 500.
sonic93 is offline  
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 08:35 PM
reo
Lima Lima Mike Foxtrot
 
reo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Wylie
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsMach03 View Post
I respect your opinion, but I've shot many 870's and my 500 feels just as good and shoots just as good. I also have a 88 and the only difference in the 88 and 500 is the forearm guards and barrel. 500 has adjustable choke and the 88 doesnt. Both have the same action. I cleaned my 500 for the first time in years and when I removed the barrel exposing the underside of the forearm it looked like a muddobber made a nest in there. I never knew or could tell a difference in performance.

By all means, not saying the 500's ain't bad, nor the 88's really. Think it really just comes down to which one you can get for the best price.

Hmm...Maybe this should have been a "what shotguns should I avoid" thread.

-Eric

Official Adrenaline Donor
1971 Chevy C-10 LWB - 350/350 with some fun parts.
1999 GMC 2500 LWB

"Why do they call this route the 'Widowmaker'?"
"I'm not sure, maybe route 'Oh God we're all going to die' was taken..."
reo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome