Amendment could allow legal owners to take their concealed weapons across state lines - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
LUCIFER

Amendment could allow legal owners to take their concealed weapons across state lines

Hope it's not a repost!

WASHINGTON – Texas' U.S. senators are backing a measure that would allow licensed Texans to carry their concealed weapons anywhere in the country, though some gun-control advocates warn it will undermine Texas' own concealed-handgun law.

The U.S. Senate is scheduled to vote today on an amendment that would require states to allow visitors to carry lawfully concealed firearms across state lines.

"Over 300,000 Texans have been trained and issued a concealed handgun license, and this legislation will allow them to travel to states with comparable laws without questioning whether or not their Texas-issued permit is honored," said Republican Sen. John Cornyn, a cosponsor of the amendment. Aides to Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, also a Republican, said she also supported the provision.

Under the measure, being offered by Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., visitors would have to abide by state laws where a concealed handgun is allowed.

Daniel Vice, senior attorney at the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, said the issue is not so much about where the guns can be brought, but who has them.

"If you can carry a gun in your home state, you can carry it concealed in Texas, even if it wouldn't be otherwise," Vice said.

For instance, individuals who have committed certain violent misdemeanors who wouldn't be issued a concealed handgun permit in Texas could nevertheless carry a concealed weapon, so long as they're from a state with looser laws, Vice said.

He said Texas has some of the strongest training requirements in the country for gun carrying.

"It's really an assault on states' rights because it's overriding the judgment of the Texas Legislature," Vice said.

Gun-rights proponents, including the National Rifle Association, contend the measure helps bring parity in gun laws to protect the fundamental rights of U.S. citizens. An aide to Gov. Rick Perry said the Thune provision would protect Second Amendment rights "while also respecting states' rights."

Jerry Patterson, Texas' land commissioner who wrote the state's conceal and carry laws as a state lawmaker in the 1990s, supports the provision, which would be attached to a defense bill. He said critics just don't support reciprocity or conceal and carry rights.

"If detractors of this proposal are using the argument where the minimum standards aren't high enough, they should merely propose that reciprocity exists among the states with certain minimal requirements," Patterson said.

Texas may have comparatively strong training requirements, Patterson said, but all states require background checks and refuse to issue gun licenses to felons. He said gun permits should be given the same reciprocity as drivers' licenses.

Texas has reciprocity agreements with 27 states to recognize concealed handgun licenses. It recognizes concealed handgun licenses from 12 other states that do not, in turn, recognize Texas licenses.

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Lifer

I like the idea, but having the Federal govt telling the states what to do I dont like.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 10:59 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

great concept, but I agree with David

BTW, I just heard on WBAP that this measure was defeated 58-39...no surprise

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

Thought I heard yesterday that it was shot down.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 01:02 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
great concept, but I agree with David

BTW, I just heard on WBAP that this measure was defeated 58-39...no surprise
Just for the record, the measure was defeated with 58 votes supporting the measure and 39 against it. Procedurally, it needed 60 votes to pass. I believe 18 Democrats including Harry Reid voted for the measure. I hope this gives some perspective to those who claim the current Congress is out to get our guns.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 01:36 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdem View Post
Just for the record, the measure was defeated with 58 votes supporting the measure and 39 against it. Procedurally, it needed 60 votes to pass. I believe 18 Democrats including Harry Reid voted for the measure. I hope this gives some perspective to those who claim the current Congress is out to get our guns.
I was unclear on the details until I read the CNN link above. Thanks for clarifying though

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 01:45 PM
T-MINUS

I'm surprised about Reid voting for it.

And fuck Bloomberg, that guy is a pussy.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
I'm surprised about Reid voting for it.

And fuck Bloomberg, that guy is a pussy.
Not really... Democratic Congressmen from southern or western states (or 'bluedog democrats') are some of the gun lobby's best friends right now.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 03:08 PM
dee
Lifer

There was also a bill going across that would make gun shows do background checks before sales. Anyone know how it did?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:22 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Harry Reid was interviewed on MSNBC as being against the amendment.

Frankly I'm against it. It is a states rights issue to me. I don't believe states should have the ability to say that law abiding citizens can or cannot have guns but concealment is a choice of each state. It is great that we can do this in Texas and many other states but to let the feds dictate this is simply a bad idea.

I think the NRA screwed up on this. It opens a slippery slope of letting the Feds regulate state statues in regards to weapon concealment. I think Federal involvement would ultimately end up with us not having CHLs any longer.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:25 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
There was also a bill going across that would make gun shows do background checks before sales. Anyone know how it did?
um...they already do this...or was there a bill regarding private party ftf sales?

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:06 PM
dee
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
um...they already do this...or was there a bill regarding private party ftf sales?
Not sure our local news was reporting on it, from what they were saying the only ones at gun shows that had to were ffl holders which makes since, but not all booth holders at shows have ffl.So if passed all booth holders would be reqiured to be ffl holders.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:11 PM
dee
Lifer

Here's our local news link

http://texomashomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid50171

Not sure of bill details but link doesn't say everyone will have to be ffl holders just that they have to call in background checks.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Lifer

I'm against it as well, in it's current incarnation.

If all states had similar requirements and such it would make sense.....think drivers license. The way it stands now though there would be way too many things that could go wrong.

--wes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Dyno Racing King!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman View Post
I'm against it as well, in it's current incarnation.

If all states had similar requirements and such it would make sense.....think drivers license. The way it stands now though there would be way too many things that could go wrong.

--wes
...and this is why the bill ultimately failed in my opinion. If all states are "playing by the same rules," then I have no problem with carrying concealed across a state line. Maybe there should be a secondary permit that is much more stringent. If you get it, it's valid in all states.

Juiceweezl
Dallas, TX
2000 Black GT
2V with a fuel pump and some other goodies
Touched by the hand of a tuning god -- Mr. Wilson
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:36 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl View Post
...and this is why the bill ultimately failed in my opinion. If all states are "playing by the same rules," then I have no problem with carrying concealed across a state line. Maybe there should be a secondary permit that is much more stringent. If you get it, it's valid in all states.
who would issue this permit?

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:36 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceweezl View Post
I could see that. Texas certainly has higher requirements for getting a CHL than any other state.

The only problem is that there are still quite a few states that simply don't want the general population to have CHL. New York State comes to mind. Sure their logic is totally fucked up but that is still THEIR DECISION to make, not the federal governments. As long as they allow gun ownership, they are not in violation of the 2nd Amendment.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement