Engraving - where? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Engraving - where?

Need to get a lower engraved, and everyone says 'just go to the mall'. Guess I feel a bit inept - who in the mall would engrave a lower? Jewelers?? Trophy place?? I prefer to have it engraved while I wait, and live out East Dallas (by Firewheel Towne Center).

Suggesstions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 12:47 PM
#1 HEAT FAN!!

I know a guy who is a bad ass at engraving. He does 99% of the lowrider show cars in the area. PM if if you want his #. He's not cheap, and I dont think you can wait while he does it
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

One thing I learned... If you want to know what's "in a mall" ask a woman. Ended up at 'Things Remembered' (at most of the malls), and they engraved my lower on the spot. Rules strictly state "NO FIREARMS", so make sure you strip it down before you walk in. I removed the handle, butt stock, upper, and magazine, and the ladies didn't really know what it was. She took her time, shown me a dozen or so renderings, and engraved it 4-times. Came out perfect - couldn't have asked for a better job. Cost me $30 bucks, and I felt it was well worth it... I etched the engraved area back to black, and it looks factory cut.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Time Served

what did you have engraved on it?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

The Trust name was engraved for SBR conversion.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Lifer

Be careful about Things Remembered. I have heard stories of them fucking up others parts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Time Served

do they engrave deep enough? I know BATFE has specs for depth Didn't think the engravers they used cut deep enough

And I second the watch the gift engravers comment I took 2 galil receivers to a place off camp bowie to have the selector markings engraved she did a great job look excelent except she put the receiver in the machine upside down so the markings are therefore upside down and backwards fire postion has a upside down "S" by it
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Looks deep enough to me.. They made 4-passes (3-cut, and i thing the last was more of a "make sure"). I thought it was plenty deep, however, when etched back to black.... It is slightly less noticeable then the Panther Arms logo.

I was hesitant about the machine at first, but they padded the sides so as not to mar anything. Maybe I got lucky - it came out perfect. Went to the one at Town East Mall if that helps anyone.

Would prefer to find someone local on the board who is familiar with firearms. Walking around the mall with an AR-15 lower felt a little odd.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:05 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

take a picture of it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 05:38 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

most any trophy shop can engrave to batfe specs......

no less than 1/16" high and .003" deep in plain view ....

straight out of the handbook....."The remaining information (name, city, state, model and caliber) may be placed EITHER on the receiver OR the barrel, and must be no less than 0.003" deep. There are no minimum height requirements for these markings. "

HP & TQ are like SEX, you can never have enough!!!

RPARMS.COM
01/03
Sponsored Links
Advertisement