best bang for the buck .22 can? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 12,013
best bang for the buck .22 can?

I've had a gemtech before and I really enjoyed it, but that was a while ago and I'm wondering if there is any new players out there I might want to look into.

Thinking about just getting the outback II
CJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 12:21 AM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Subscribed.

I think a can is in my future.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 01:36 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
My gemtech outback II is sitting in the safe at CTD waiting for the tax stamp to return. I am hoping to have it out when I come home in August to attach to the P22 and put some subsonics thru it.

I have no problem letting someone pull the trigger if they want at a GTG when I get home.

will also have a Tundra for the XD9 (if I can get some barrels in time) and a G5 for my AR15 to test out.
sonic93 is offline  
 
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 02:13 AM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
My gemtech outback II is sitting in the safe at CTD waiting for the tax stamp to return. I am hoping to have it out when I come home in August to attach to the P22 and put some subsonics thru it.

I have no problem letting someone pull the trigger if they want at a GTG when I get home.

will also have a Tundra for the XD9 (if I can get some barrels in time) and a G5 for my AR15 to test out.
Count me in on that !!!

I need to shoot a can before I decide weather its worth it or not.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 12,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
My gemtech outback II is sitting in the safe at CTD waiting for the tax stamp to return. I am hoping to have it out when I come home in August to attach to the P22 and put some subsonics thru it.

I have no problem letting someone pull the trigger if they want at a GTG when I get home.

will also have a Tundra for the XD9 (if I can get some barrels in time) and a G5 for my AR15 to test out.
what did ctd charge you for the hold over on the form 4's?
CJ is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Lifer
 
Hass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
My gemtech outback II is sitting in the safe at CTD waiting for the tax stamp to return. I am hoping to have it out when I come home in August to attach to the P22 and put some subsonics thru it.

I have no problem letting someone pull the trigger if they want at a GTG when I get home.

will also have a Tundra for the XD9 (if I can get some barrels in time) and a G5 for my AR15 to test out.
Same here. My AAC Pilot and P22 are sitting in a guys safe right now waiting for my tax stamp. The ATF approved my paperwork on June 14th, but told me on the phone it could take an additional 30 days after approval to mail the paperwork out.

Is anyone interested in a gtg to compare the pilot and outback? I would like to hear and compare them both in person.
Hass is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 12,013
Someone explain gemtechs new attachments to me. from what I remember my old outback had a titantium 10x28 threading, however I'm seeing a lot of the new adapters for outbacks with the three prong quick disconnect, do they make an adapter that threads into the suppressor to utilize this, or is it an entirely different suppressor fitting?
CJ is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
what did ctd charge you for the hold over on the form 4's?

Since I bought the cans from CTD I was charged nothing over the merchandise and sales tax. I heard them charging a guy $100 the same day for a form 4 transfer that he had sent to them without calling CTD in advance.

I purchased three cans at the same time.


Hass: Can I pick your brain?
what number did you call to check your form 4s?
when did you submit the form 4s?

Mine were submitted on April 22 and checks cashed on May 3. Just curious I will be happy as long as they are done and ready to be picked up by August 23.
sonic93 is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Lifer
 
Hass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
Since I bought the cans from CTD I was charged nothing over the merchandise and sales tax. I heard them charging a guy $100 the same day for a form 4 transfer that he had sent to them without calling CTD in advance.

I purchased three cans at the same time.


Hass: Can I pick your brain?
what number did you call to check your form 4s?
when did you submit the form 4s?

Mine were submitted on April 22 and checks cashed on May 3. Just curious I will be happy as long as they are done and ready to be picked up by August 23.
Call 304-616-4500 and have the serial number of your item handy.

My paperwork was sent March 13th, check was cashed March 18th, called the # above and my paperwork went "Pending" on April 24th, then my paperwork was "Approved" June 14th, and my guy should have my tax stamp any day now.
Hass is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
Call 304 616-4500 to check the status of paperwork. Need serial number and other qualifying information on hand.
David is offline  
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Someone explain gemtechs new attachments to me. from what I remember my old outback had a titantium 10x28 threading, however I'm seeing a lot of the new adapters for outbacks with the three prong quick disconnect, do they make an adapter that threads into the suppressor to utilize this, or is it an entirely different suppressor fitting?
My G5 for the M4/AR15 is a flash hider with two tangs. The suppressor pushes on then a quarter twist and release locks it in.

My Tundra for the 9mm pistol is threaded.

The Outback II I got is a female/male threaded adapter the suppressor screws to.
sonic93 is offline  
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 12,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
My G5 for the M4/AR15 is a flash hider with two tangs. The suppressor pushes on then a quarter twist and release locks it in.

My Tundra for the 9mm pistol is threaded.

The Outback II I got is a female/male threaded adapter the suppressor screws to.
does the outback II have a 3 lug adapter for it?
CJ is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Call 304 616-4500 to check the status of paperwork. Need serial number and other qualifying information on hand.
And of course the day I want to check on them is 4th of July, Independence Day observed and they are closed. Oh well I will wait till Monday. Thanks
sonic93 is offline  
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 03:03 PM
GROWED UP WRONG
 
Chopped54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Box Babies Come In
Posts: 7,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
My gemtech outback II is sitting in the safe at CTD waiting for the tax stamp to return. I am hoping to have it out when I come home in August to attach to the P22 and put some subsonics thru it.

I have no problem letting someone pull the trigger if they want at a GTG when I get home.

will also have a Tundra for the XD9 (if I can get some barrels in time) and a G5 for my AR15 to test out.
If you dont mind me asking what did that Outback cost you from CTD?
Also did you go the trust route, or CLEO signature?
Chopped54 is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Lifer
 
Billyb0b81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arlington
Posts: 1,050
CJ, I have an outback II that you are welcome to shoot. Let me know when you go to the range next and I can tag along and bring it with me. Mine just screws on to the threaded barrel on my P22.

Never wrap it up, never pull out. Just grind up the morning after pill in her scrambled eggs at sunrise, she'll appreciate that you made her breakfast.
Billyb0b81 is offline  
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 12,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyb0b81 View Post
CJ, I have an outback II that you are welcome to shoot. Let me know when you go to the range next and I can tag along and bring it with me. Mine just screws on to the threaded barrel on my P22.
awesome dude, I will take you up on that for sure.
CJ is offline  
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
I went the trust route and it has been super painless.

I set up a real trust thru a lawyer in Houston who does them for a lot of the guys on AR15.com the damn thing is 37 pages long and covers every aspect of your life just about. It did take several weeks of emails back and forth but that is because I am in Afghanistan and $350.
Build trust = $350
Make copies = free
Purchase item
Attach trust copy to form 4
Write check for $200
Send package to ATF and wait
NO Fingerprints to get sent back
NO CLEO sit down and signature after they do their background check
NO Passport photo
sonic93 is offline  
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
I went the trust route and it has been super painless.

I set up a real trust thru a lawyer in Houston who does them for a lot of the guys on AR15.com the damn thing is 37 pages long and covers every aspect of your life just about. It did take several weeks of emails back and forth but that is because I am in Afghanistan and $350.
Build trust = $350
Make copies = free
Purchase item
Attach trust copy to form 4
Write check for $200
Send package to ATF and wait
NO Fingerprints to get sent back
NO CLEO sit down and signature after they do their background check
NO Passport photo

for what its worth the finger print cards were free from the ATF and cost me $10 to get 8 done at shooters palace on 28th Dee Anderson signs with no sit down I mail em in and his secretary mails em back and I took a pic with my digital camera and I insert the pics on the form 4's in in acrobat before I print them

If I were going to do something other than straight name form I'd form an LLC and put them under that

Also I have both the checkmate QD can and the YHM Wraith QD can in 22Lr The wraith is quieter but more of a rifle diameter can and uses ACME threads for the QD the checkmate has a 3 lug adapter is much smaller dia. great for a pistol and is disasembleable to clean

Both are back yard safe and I'd recomend either The checkmate is sold by a guy named greeno on AR15.com and extra 3 lugs can be had from him also

Last edited by bulldog896; 07-05-2009 at 09:34 PM.
bulldog896 is offline  
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
Count me in on that !!!

I need to shoot a can before I decide weather its worth it or not.

I've shot a few Ruger Mark VIIs with an integrated can, and man are those things the shit! You could pick off squirrels in your apartment complex and no one would be the wiser.

One of my favorite guns is a full auto/fully suppressed 10/22. Now that'll put a smile on anyone's face.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:16 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
I've shot a few Ruger Mark VIIs with an integrated can, and man are those things the shit! You could pick off squirrels in your apartment complex and no one would be the wiser.

One of my favorite guns is a full auto/fully suppressed 10/22. Now that'll put a smile on anyone's face.
I think if I buy a can its going to be a 5.56 can. I figure that since I dont have a ton of extra cash I can use it on both .22lr and my ar.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
Call 304-616-4500 and have the serial number of your item handy.

My paperwork was sent March 13th, check was cashed March 18th, called the # above and my paperwork went "Pending" on April 24th, then my paperwork was "Approved" June 14th, and my guy should have my tax stamp any day now.
Well my three Forms went pending June 18th. If I use your dates as a reference that puts them approved around August 18th. Good enough for me and in time for me to get them when I come home August 23 - September 9th.
sonic93 is offline  
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 12,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
I've shot a few Ruger Mark VIIs with an integrated can, and man are those things the shit! You could pick off squirrels in your apartment complex and no one would be the wiser.

One of my favorite guns is a full auto/fully suppressed 10/22. Now that'll put a smile on anyone's face.
agreed, the stainless ruger pistols with integral suppressor are awesome.
CJ is offline  
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Lifer
 
Hass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
Well my three Forms went pending June 18th. If I use your dates as a reference that puts them approved around August 18th. Good enough for me and in time for me to get them when I come home August 23 - September 9th.
Best of luck to you. I have just confirmed with another person that their paperwork was approved over 30 days ago and they still have not received it. Apparently it is true that the wait after "approved" status can be lengthy as well.
Hass is offline  
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
Best of luck to you. I have just confirmed with another person that their paperwork was approved over 30 days ago and they still have not received it. Apparently it is true that the wait after "approved" status can be lengthy as well.
well pooppy I sure would like to dispatch a few rabbits with the Outback II during my August trip home.
sonic93 is offline  
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Lifer
 
Billyb0b81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arlington
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
Best of luck to you. I have just confirmed with another person that their paperwork was approved over 30 days ago and they still have not received it. Apparently it is true that the wait after "approved" status can be lengthy as well.
I had my latest form back within 5 business days after it was approved. It did take about 5 months for it to be approved though.

Never wrap it up, never pull out. Just grind up the morning after pill in her scrambled eggs at sunrise, she'll appreciate that you made her breakfast.
Billyb0b81 is offline  
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
It all comes down to your examiner, or so it seems.

I've had all my paperwork back within 90 days of being mailed. 5320.20s back in 2 weeks mail box to mail box.
David is offline  
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Lifer
 
Billyb0b81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arlington
Posts: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It all comes down to your examiner, or so it seems.

I've had all my paperwork back within 90 days of being mailed. 5320.20s back in 2 weeks mail box to mail box.
I was wondering about the 5320.20's. Do I need to have one to carry my SBR and silencers out to our property which is here in TX, or only if I am crossing state lines? Also what about just going to the shooting range and back?

Never wrap it up, never pull out. Just grind up the morning after pill in her scrambled eggs at sunrise, she'll appreciate that you made her breakfast.
Billyb0b81 is offline  
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyb0b81 View Post
I was wondering about the 5320.20's. Do I need to have one to carry my SBR and silencers out to our property which is here in TX, or only if I am crossing state lines? Also what about just going to the shooting range and back?
5320.20s only need to be filed if crossing state lines.

Silencers are exempt from 5320.20s, but I do it anyways just to be safe.
David is offline  
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 01:31 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
5320.20s only need to be filed if crossing state lines.

Silencers are exempt from 5320.20s, but I do it anyways just to be safe.


I've heard you can fax 5320.20's this true? I never know 2-3 weeks in advance that I am going somewhere
bulldog896 is offline  
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog896 View Post
I've heard you can fax 5320.20's this true? I never know 2-3 weeks in advance that I am going somewhere
Ive heard you can, but I never have.

You can always also request up to a year. So if you go to a specific place in Oklahoma or wherever to shoot regularly, you can get a .20 for Jan. 1, 2009- Jan. 1, 2010.
David is offline  
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Ive heard you can, but I never have.

You can always also request up to a year. So if you go to a specific place in Oklahoma or wherever to shoot regularly, you can get a .20 for Jan. 1, 2009- Jan. 1, 2010.
I didn't know that I thought the .20 was a itinerary type form never have filed one still waiting on my first form 4 for a machine gun just have suppresors so far
bulldog896 is offline  
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
CTD has my approved Form4s for 2 out of 3 of my cans. I am stoked. Looks like we are stopping by CTD on the way home from the airport to pick up my Outback II and my Tundra (9mm).

Purchased April 23rd
Check cashed on May 5th
Approved by ATF July 17th
sonic93 is offline  
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Banned
 
DOHCTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Waco
Posts: 5,539
Fucking awesome dude. Post pics/vids then you can!
DOHCTR is offline  
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
Fucking awesome dude. Post pics/vids then you can!
The damn thing is that my barrels for the 9mm XDs will not be ready for this trip home. Anyone have a Glock 9mm with an extended and threaded barrel they wanna sell?

I am already buying parts to build a 10/22 for a host rifle for the Gemtech Outback. Would be awesome to find a plain-jane used 10/22 for the receiver and bolt parts.

The QD flash suppressor is getting twisted on as soon as we get home. Pics to follow.
sonic93 is offline  
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Update: Picked all three suppressors up from CTD yesterday. Stamps in hand of course, dated July 18th.

Should have a quick test of the Outback in the garage tonight.
sonic93 is offline  
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Gunga galunga
 
jakesford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pimpin the West Side!! (Benbrook)
Posts: 7,544
Any updates...? I really want to pickup a suppressor for my buckmark, either a tacsol or gemtech

"Apres moi le deluge"


jakesford is offline  
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford View Post
Any updates...? I really want to pickup a suppressor for my buckmark, either a tacsol or gemtech



Tested......don't let my wife see this thread

sonic93 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome