DFW Mustang Forums banner

Private sale

2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Yale 
#1 ·
I have a relative that wants to buy a handgun from me. What do I need to do this legally? Any special forms I need? I see people selling stuff on here all the time. Any need for a background check? Someone shed some light for me. Thanks

#2 ·
Well if you want to be safe you can always get DL info and make up a bill of sale basically saying I (your name) am selling (state gun maker, model, serial number) to (persons name) on (date)... and just have them sign it. Otherwise private sale laws don't require anything, you can literally walk up and exchange cash for gun and be done.

#5 ·
first off why does a relative want to by a gun for you? are you underage, a criminal? why not have them give you the money and you go buy it? if you are buying from a private individual you can have the go to a ffl by them or you and you pay for the transfer and the gun will be legally yours.

#16 ·
If the person is 21+ (on handguns) and 18+ (on long guns) and its a private sale, then its legal. You do not need to write someones id down, etc.. Today a lot of people are afraid of id thieft and probably won't want you to write it down (Their id numbers).

If you are really concerned, find a FFL thats willing to do a transfer (Like a pawn shop), pay them a small fee, get your money from the buyer, and let your buyer fill out the firearm form, and the FFL will do the background check, etc...

#19 ·
From the ATF FAQ. I bolded the important part.

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

#25 ·
If anyone's keeping tabs, it's a record of the details of the background check. Do they even tell the person on the phone bank what gun you're buying? Actual 4473's don't even leave the store in most cases, unless requested by the BATFE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.