NFA Form 4 Question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

NFA Form 4 Question

I bought a Gemtech Outback II over a month ago from Cheaper Than Dirt. My paperwork was filled out and supposedly sent in on Dec. 26 to Atlanta. My understanding is that Atlanta just cashes your check, then forwards your paperwork to the NFA office. My check has still yet to be cashed. I called CTD to see if anything had been kicked back. They said it had not, but he would email somebody to see what was going on. This was on Tuesday morning and I have not heard back yet.

Anybody else know how long it usually takes for them to cash your check when sent in on a Form 4? I know last year when I sent in my Form 1, my check was cashed within a week. I guess I am just excited about picking it up, but I am also kinda worried as to why they haven't cashed my check yet.

Never wrap it up, never pull out. Just grind up the morning after pill in her scrambled eggs at sunrise, she'll appreciate that you made her breakfast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 01:08 AM
Lifer

It varies. My Form 4s are always cashed in the 5 days following the time I stick it in a mailbox.

You may want to call, because definitely something doesnt seem right.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 04:20 AM
Lifer

I know there is a huge back up right now. Believe a buddy of mine said it took nearly 2 months for one of his checks to get cashed.

"His tricked out trans am guzzles every dime he brings home"

2004 RC SWB F150 5.4 - Saleen S/C'd 5.4 3V
1979 Pace Car - Not the usual mods
1984 Gt-350 - Trickflow'd 302
1992 Coupe - Vortech'd 393
1997 Viper GTS - H/C and Giggles

Buy my F-150 Vortech Setup! - Link

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

expect a 1 to 3 months wait for any class 3, thats what i was told
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Lifer

Did you mail it certified?

I mailed a C&R application a couple weeks ago and they charged my credit card two days I sent it. I was surprised how quick they processed it.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I talked to CTD on Tuesday and the owner said it was not in his problem file. He was going to e-mail someone but I still haven't heard back from him. I was also told that the wait was a little longer right now, but the form is sent to a PO Box in Atlanta. All they do is cash the check and send the Form 4 to the NFA office. I called the NFA office and they have not seen anything come through. When I talked to CTD I was told that the paperwork was sent via Next Day. I would think they could track it. I am going to call them again tomorrow. I am starting to get upset that no one seems to know where all my paperwork and personal information is.

Never wrap it up, never pull out. Just grind up the morning after pill in her scrambled eggs at sunrise, she'll appreciate that you made her breakfast.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Lifer

Did you mail it in or did CTD?

Because if CTD mailed it, Id make sure they didnt fuck your paperwork up. Checks dont go that long to be cashed period.

When stories are like this posted, they usually wind up being a dealer problem.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Did you mail it in or did CTD?

Because if CTD mailed it, Id make sure they didnt fuck your paperwork up. Checks dont go that long to be cashed period.

When stories are like this posted, they usually wind up being a dealer problem.
CTD mailed it or so they say. I spoke to Duane, who is supposedly the owner, and he said it was mailed the Monday after Christmas. They had filled all the paper work out and I picked it up and looked over it. It was all correct and I sent it to get the CLEO signature. After I got the forms signed, I took it all back to CTD and they supposedly mailed it. All Duane told me was "no news is good news". I have already contacted them and I have called the NFA office and neither place has my paperwork. I am gonna call CTD back monday, surely they should have a tracking number if it was sent Next Day like I was told.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyb0b81 View Post
CTD mailed it or so they say. I spoke to Duane, who is supposedly the owner, and he said it was mailed the Monday after Christmas. They had filled all the paper work out and I picked it up and looked over it. It was all correct and I sent it to get the CLEO signature. After I got the forms signed, I took it all back to CTD and they supposedly mailed it. All Duane told me was "no news is good news". I have already contacted them and I have called the NFA office and neither place has my paperwork. I am gonna call CTD back monday, surely they should have a tracking number if it was sent Next Day like I was told.
You should have mailed it in yourself.

2006 Mustang GT
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
You should have mailed it in yourself.
Yup, I always mail my stuff in on my own. That way I know what's happening.

Dealers, especially big ones, get caught up in sales and shit that they forget or dont do simple things.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 03:04 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Yup, I always mail my stuff in on my own. That way I know what's happening.

Dealers, especially big ones, get caught up in sales and shit that they forget or dont do simple things.
especially lately.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Next time I will mail it myself. I took the forms back up there just to verify everything as far as serial numbers and such. They offered to mail it for me so I figured it wouldn't be a problem. Now I wish I would have just mailed it certified mail myself.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Old Timer

Quote:
Next time I will mail it myself. I took the forms back up there just to verify everything as far as serial numbers and such. They offered to mail it for me so I figured it wouldn't be a problem. Now I wish I would have just mailed it certified mail myself.
No kidding.. I used to like Cheaper than Dirt, but when they start putting:

Quote:
"Possible drastic limitations on your Second Amendment rights have caused political speculation and market uncertainty. We have sold out everything that might be banned or taxed and we are scrambling to find more ammunition, magazines, and gun gear.

Supplies and prices change constantly as we struggle to find whatever we can while it is still legal and available. We appreciate your patience during this time of uncertainty in the Firearms Industry."
On their website, catalogs, etc.... It just says basically, We are going to gouge the living hell out of you while we can get away with it..

If you go to Academy, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc... Ammo is cheaper, guns are cheaper, etc...

The only thing Cheaper than Dirt is doing right now is Gouging you based upon "Fears" that they are feeding on.

2006 Mustang GT
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I bought a Gemtech Outback II over a month ago from Cheaper Than Dirt. My paperwork was filled out and supposedly sent in on Dec. 26 to Atlanta. My understanding is that Atlanta just cashes your check, then forwards your paperwork to the NFA office. My check has still yet to be cashed. I called CTD to see if anything had been kicked back. They said it had not, but he would email somebody to see what was going on. This was on Tuesday morning and I have not heard back yet.

Anybody else know how long it usually takes for them to cash your check when sent in on a Form 4? I know last year when I sent in my Form 1, my check was cashed within a week. I guess I am just excited about picking it up, but I am also kinda worried as to why they haven't cashed my check yet.
My friend has a Gemtech Outback II and I have to say it sucks. Its not nearly as quiet as AAC. However it is ok with subsonic but I was not impressed by it at all. AAC is the way to go.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullettProof View Post
My friend has a Gemtech Outback II and I have to say it sucks. Its not nearly as quiet as AAC. However it is ok with subsonic but I was not impressed by it at all. AAC is the way to go.

When I bought the Gemtech I was looking for an AAC actually. Both people selling them at the gunshow screwed me around. I got pissed and left and ended up going to CTD and they had the Gemtech in stock so I bought it.

I have heard people compare Gemtech and AAC and pretty much get about a 50/50 feedback from them. They either swear by AAC or swear by Gemtech. I am looking at buying a can for my 9mm and one for my SBR in the near future and I think I have decided on an AAC for those.

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
On their website, catalogs, etc.... It just says basically, We are going to gouge the living hell out of you while we can get away with it..

If you go to Academy, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc... Ammo is cheaper, guns are cheaper, etc...

The only thing Cheaper than Dirt is doing right now is Gouging you based upon "Fears" that they are feeding on.
I have to agree with you. I use to buy a lot from CTD, but they have been price gouging bad. I understand market prices have gone up but not to the point that they are charging. I actually paid less at CTD for the silencer though than I could have bought it at the gunshow. As far as ammo, Academy and Wal-Mart seem to be the best priced locally.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Update

Well I am starting to get more upset. I spoke to CTD Monday and spoke with Dewayne. He apologized for not calling me back last week because he was out of the office. He said he did receive an email conformation that my application was being processed. He also said he called the guy who said it was being processed to double check and they said that they "had received it and it was in process". After that he did say he it was mailed out USPS but he asked his secretary for the tracking numer and she could not find it! I called the NFA office myself today and after giving them the serial number they told me that they have not received anything. They then asked me if my check has cleared and I told them no. CTD told me that they probably just "overlooked my check" and "maybe you will get lucky and they won't cash it then you can just buy some extra ammo". Ya, like the govt is gonna forget to cash a check.

Sorry for the long read but I can't believe that this is going on from what I thought was a reputable dealer. I have never had a problem with them before.

Anybody have any suggestions on were I can go from here? I don't know what to do other than keep waiting. I am starting to think that I am being given the run-around.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Lifer

They're giving you the run around.

There is a rumor that someone in Atlanta has been stealing checks and throwing forms away. Apparently they opened an account under the name of BATFE initials and cashing them. But so far it's just a rumor and I doubt it to be honest.

Like I said, they're fucking with you. The govt is a bunch of fuck ups, but not that bad.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
They're giving you the run around.

There is a rumor that someone in Atlanta has been stealing checks and throwing forms away. Apparently they opened an account under the name of BATFE initials and cashing them. But so far it's just a rumor and I doubt it to be honest.

Like I said, they're fucking with you. The govt is a bunch of fuck ups, but not that bad.

Well even if they stole my check the motherfucker didn't cash it! So is there anything I can do or do I just sit here and get fucked? I have been speaking to Dewayne who is supposedly the president/owner of CTD. What really pisses me off is that they can't 'find' the tracking number.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

i sent 4 forms on nov 2nd
they cahsed the checks nov 26.
FINALLY went pending on jan 23.

they are slowing down ALOT!!!

my last 2 took 60 and 61 days from mailbox to mailbox.

Dont sweat it, NFA is a patient game.

HP & TQ are like SEX, you can never have enough!!!

RPARMS.COM
01/03
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Well even if they stole my check the motherfucker didn't cash it! So is there anything I can do or do I just sit here and get fucked? I have been speaking to Dewayne who is supposedly the president/owner of CTD. What really pisses me off is that they can't 'find' the tracking number.
Nothing you can do until they fork it all over and stop trying to save face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement