Any bow hunters/shooters here? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Pitchin and flippin

Any bow hunters/shooters here?

I have been kicking around the idea of taking up shooting a bow for a while now.
I think the challenge of hunting with one would be fun plus I will get to start my hunting season off early.
Anyways what are some good bows I should look at?
Hopefully I can figure out how to shoot one without ripping up my left arm from the bow string. The few times I have shot one I have managed to catch my arm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Lifer

Check out BOWTECH, they have some real nice stuff. you can go to Bass Pro and play with them, but i heard the get like the second line stuff, so I wouldnt by one there, plus you can get a better deal online.

http://www.bowtecharchery.com/
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow55 View Post
I have been kicking around the idea of taking up shooting a bow for a while now.
I think the challenge of hunting with one would be fun plus I will get to start my hunting season off early.
Anyways what are some good bows I should look at?
Hopefully I can figure out how to shoot one without ripping up my left arm from the bow string. The few times I have shot one I have managed to catch my arm.
It gets addicting. Bowhunting makes you in all around better hunter. I rarely ever gun hunt now since Ive been Bowhunting the last 9 years.

I hunt with a Parker; this is my second Parker. There are dozens of good bows out there; pse, parker, fred bear, bowtech, mathews, hoyt just to name a few.
I wouldn't drop allot of money because bowhunting isn't for everyone. It takes alot of patience, and alot of skill. My average shot is 10-20 yards. Most of the time Im able to get the deer so close I can reach out and touch them.
Being that close to the deer is a adreniline rush.

For a first bow I would recommend a PSE, fred bear, or a parker. You can get out under 500.00. Make sure you go to a good dealer so they can fit you correctly. For may last Parker I went to cabelas and they did a good job on my fitment.

2009 STRYKER BLUE pontiYACK G8 GT stock for now

03 AZURE MACH1 305 rwhp, 325RWTQ TUNED BY [email protected]<----------------------------SOLD

06 TRUEBLUE SUPERCREW F150 5.4L

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 07:57 AM
Time Served

U can get a nice bow off craigslist also. Most of the time they are setup too. I got 2 Matthews bows both completely setup for a grand.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 03:11 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

just don't go on a rampage in your office with your assault bow and high capacity quill.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
just don't go on a rampage in your office with your assault bow and high capacity quill.
Ba dump bump!

I was introduced to bow shooting a couple of years ago. My old office had a long hall that would accommodate an improvised range, and I got to try it out. I can see how those are so deadly.

If I ever twist off, I'll be silent and deadly.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:58 PM
The first, the original

So I have to compare notes. I got a compound bow of unknown age but I have been told probably 20 years old. It needs a new string but I have been told that the string would probably cost more than the bow is worth and that the bow is probably only worth about $30 even then. Is the depreciation that bad? Its a Hoyt Ram. I'd still want to get one of the trigger releases and it needs a few more things like a guide and something else. I figure as long as its still going to launch that arrow at the right fps then what difference does it really make?

disclaimer: I am a total newb to bows so I have no idea
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Painting Your House

Man, there are so many different good bows out there these days that it isn't funny. A decent set up will run you about 500+. I think I spent about 850 for a 07 Bear Truth complete with tips, arrows, release and hard case. You can spend twice that if you wanted, but there really isn't any since in it.

My best advice to you is to be in absolutely NO hurry. On your time off, go to different places that will let you shoot, and shoot as many bows as you can. Also begin a research on all the different options. This is not a simple rifle choice.

Oh...if you are hitting your arm, bend your elbow. And or the bow you were shooting had a draw length too long for ya.

Spend some time on www.archerytalk.com

Hunters Friend... http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowpkg2.htm

Last edited by BlackSnake1996; 01-26-2009 at 06:06 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Painting Your House

This is everything you need to learn before choosing your bow.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
So I have to compare notes. I got a compound bow of unknown age but I have been told probably 20 years old. It needs a new string but I have been told that the string would probably cost more than the bow is worth and that the bow is probably only worth about $30 even then. Is the depreciation that bad? Its a Hoyt Ram. I'd still want to get one of the trigger releases and it needs a few more things like a guide and something else. I figure as long as its still going to launch that arrow at the right fps then what difference does it really make?

i would probably just get a newer bow, but if you are just shooting to shoot and not hunt with it. you can restring it and be a happy camper. depreciation is pretty bad on buying new, i got my matthews switchback xt for 500 with a complete setup and the bow was only a year old, the matthews outback i got at the same was maybe six months older than the switchback.

again it depends on your plans. if the bow belonged to a family member you may want to restring it.

i have a shotgun that was my mothers, when my house burnt down the gun got rust pits and looked like crap, i spent 180 on refinishing it and getting it cleaned up. the gun itself is only worth about 150, but it was my moms.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:26 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

You're not a man unless you cut down your own tree, carve your own bow, weave your own thread, kill your birds with your bare hands for their feathers, create your own arrows, and hunt bare ass naked in the forest - with a blindfold, in 10 degree weather.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 01:49 AM
Lifer

Quote:
You're not a man unless you cut down your own tree, carve your own bow, weave your own thread, kill your birds with your bare hands for their feathers, create your own arrows, and hunt bare ass naked in the forest - with a blindfold, in 10 degree weather.
I guess I'm not a man.......
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Painting Your House

Quote:
Only on cold days below freezing. Oh snap!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Painting Your House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post

That bow is almost obsolete and carries almost all sentimental value. I say, string it and hang it on the wall. Then go to a archery dealer and shoot a few bows till you find one you like.

Also...please read this link before you choose or even begin to look for a bow. You will understand as you read. http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement