Assembling my AR - LPK Question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Assembling my AR - LPK Question

Which one of these is my bolt catch spring (vs the disconnector spring). I added the Bolt catch buffer/plunger for reference.

Also - how would you suggest tapping in the roll pins (Bolt catch and trigger guard) without a punch or holder. It is not going in easily and I don't want to use too much force.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
Which one of these is my bolt catch spring (vs the disconnector spring). I added the Bolt catch buffer/plunger for reference.
Also - how would you suggest tapping in the roll pins (Bolt catch and trigger guard) without a punch or holder. It is not going in easily and I don't want to use too much force.
top spring is the bolt catch spring. bottom spring is the disconnector spring. And of course the other piece is your bolt catch buffer.

you're going to watch a punch to do those pins, but a small phillips or flathead and some careful handwork will do as well. But ever AR is different, some are a bastard, some are not. but, I recommend a punch, and be careful not to chew up the anodized finish on your lower.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Alright, that is what I thought, just wanted to make sure. I will give the screwdriver and hammer another shot.

I have to go to bass pro tomorrow anyway so maybe I can find some tools there.

Thanks for the help.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:37 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Alright, that is what I thought, just wanted to make sure. I will give the screwdriver and hammer another shot.

I have to go to bass pro tomorrow anyway so maybe I can find some tools there.

Thanks for the help.
you should try a tool store, hehe.

if you play a cloth between the punch and the pin, you can do it without scratching anything. But even colt themselves dings the receiver doing it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Time Served

I used a pair of pliers with electrical taped all over them and put a little tape on my lower. Worked the fastest and easiest for me imo.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
you should try a tool store, hehe.

if you play a cloth between the punch and the pin, you can do it without scratching anything. But even colt themselves dings the receiver doing it.
I didn't think of it but it looks like I can get them at Sears, I will have to hit them up tomorrow. Quite a bit closer than Bass Pro.

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 03:25 AM
Lifer

I found the best way to send those pins home on the bolt catch and the trigger gaurd is to :

Start pin with punch and small hammer
Use vise grips with the gripping heads covered in electrical tape, several times
Squeze and lock vise grips, release, turn knob a half turn or so, squeze and lock again.
Repeat until seated
Maybe use the punch and hammer again to get it that last hair

No worries about breaking the ear off the lower for the trigger gaurd if not supported well. And no scraping the lower up hammering a punch sideways.

Worked well for me thought I would pass it on.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks for the tips, I got it together. Sonic I have no idea why I didn't try that already! I was using the pic on AR15.com and they say the same thing. I was too tired at that point I guess.

Hopefully last question: I am putting a Del-Ton telescoping buttstock on a Spikes Tactical lower receiver. I am 1 or 2 full turns from getting this thing totally on (to hold down the buffer retainer) and it won't turn anymore. Is it usually this stiff or do I have a compatibility issue? I believe the lower is mil-spec, The DTI buttstock was not specified.

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com

Last edited by slow06; 01-24-2009 at 07:18 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Hopefully last question: I am putting a Del-Ton telescoping buttstock on a Spikes Tactical lower receiver. I am 1 or 2 full turns from getting this thing totally on (to hold down the buffer retainer) and it won't turn anymore. Is it usually this stiff or do I have a compatibility issue? I believe the lower is mil-spec, The DTI buttstock was not specified.
Well I know my buttstock is mil-spec, does anyone if Spikes's Lowers are mil-spec? If so I shouldn't be having this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
I found the best way to send those pins home on the bolt catch and the trigger gaurd is to :

Start pin with punch and small hammer
Use vise grips with the gripping heads covered in electrical tape, several times
Squeze and lock vise grips, release, turn knob a half turn or so, squeze and lock again.
Repeat until seated
Maybe use the punch and hammer again to get it that last hair

No worries about breaking the ear off the lower for the trigger gaurd if not supported well. And no scraping the lower up hammering a punch sideways.

Worked well for me thought I would pass it on.
X2, the method I use as well. If you ever have any questions Ar15.com has some good reference pictures in the build forum.

1957 Chevy Belair
1953 M38A1

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrstang View Post
I used a pair of pliers with electrical taped all over them and put a little tape on my lower. Worked the fastest and easiest for me imo.
+1, pliers with duct tape works real well. Ive put 4 kits together using a slotted screw driver, little oil, and pliers.

2009 STRYKER BLUE pontiYACK G8 GT stock for now

03 AZURE MACH1 305 rwhp, 325RWTQ TUNED BY [email protected]<----------------------------SOLD

06 TRUEBLUE SUPERCREW F150 5.4L
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 04:42 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01YZ2NV View Post
X2, the method I use as well. If you ever have any questions Ar15.com has some good reference pictures in the build forum.
In my picture of the counter top preped for the build of 4 Del-Ton rifles on CMMG lowers you can see the laptop in the back ground with AR15.com build page tutorial up on the screen. It was a reference for the first build but the 3 after it were a no brainer.

OP welcome to BRD it only gets worse from here. haha
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
If it weren't for Brownells I would have just had to but a complete lower. I used those videos the whole way because sometimes a still picture doesn't cut it for me. When it comes to guns I want to make sure I am doing things exactly right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
In my picture of the counter top preped for the build of 4 Del-Ton rifles on CMMG lowers you can see the laptop in the back ground with AR15.com build page tutorial up on the screen. It was a reference for the first build but the 3 after it were a no brainer.

OP welcome to BRD it only gets worse from here. haha
HaHa I agree. I started liking them a little over a year ago, I just didn't have the money to buy one at the time. I think now I could put a lower together in about 15 minutes. I guess I was just intimidated at first.

I had to go buy another buttstock because the one I got from Del-ton was either out of spec or not compatible with my lower.

Thanks everyone for their help. I got it together and I cant wait to shoot it.

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement