Looking for personal protection weapon. Going to gun show on the 24th. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Looking for personal protection weapon. Going to gun show on the 24th.

Just like it says, right now I have an old Charter Arms .38 revolver and havent shot it in years. Looking for something newer and more reliable. I also wouldnt mind being able to take it to the range and run ammo through it (so something that has cheaper ammo would be nice). I am not really a gun person so I dont know what to get. I would like to get something reasonably priced. I am going to the Original Fort Worth Gun Show in Mesquite on the 24th and so if you would also include what a good price to pay (new and used) for which ever gun I would really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:20 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dville_gt View Post
Just like it says, right now I have an old Charter Arms .38 revolver and havent shot it in years. Looking for something newer and more reliable. I also wouldnt mind being able to take it to the range and run ammo through it (so something that has cheaper ammo would be nice). I am not really a gun person so I dont know what to get. I would like to get something reasonably priced. I am going to the Original Fort Worth Gun Show in Mesquite on the 24th and so if you would also include what a good price to pay (new and used) for which ever gun I would really appreciate it!
well, if you're looking for cheap ammo then you're going to be disappointed. A 9mm is about the only handgun caliber besides .22 that's still what I would call affordable.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Is a 9mm not a good choice for home protection/possible CHL carrying/shooting range weapon?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:24 AM
CJ

Quote:
Is a 9mm not a good choice for home protection/possible CHL carrying/shooting range weapon?
don't get me wrong a 9mm is a good caliber, it's small, lightweight, and cheap. However there will be differing opinions. My thoughts are if god help me I ever have to use my carry pistol, I want a caliber that can prevent the other guy from squeezing his index finger after the first shot hits him. And a 9mm would require some good aim to insure that. Typical carry caliber recommendations you'll hear would be .40, and .45ACP. I recently picked up a .357 mag 2 1/2" barrel ruger revolver for about 420 after tax at the gun show, and it was small and lightweight, good carry pistol with plenty of bang. I also might add it is the most painful gun I've ever shot too, if I ever had to use it they would need to call 2 ambulances.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

You think anyone at the gun show would be interested in a vintage (probably late 70's early 80's) "Undercover" .38 Special that appears pretty much brand new? I figure I could use it in trade for a newer weapon.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:43 AM
CJ

Quote:
You think anyone at the gun show would be interested in a vintage (probably late 70's early 80's) "Undercover" .38 Special that appears pretty much brand new? I figure I could use it in trade for a newer weapon.
sounds like a police special, what size barrel is it, or do you have a picture? I might be interested.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

It was bought off a LEO in that time era (still register to him as far as I know) I can get pictures later this evening. Its a very short barrel, maybe 2 inch or so.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
sounds like a police special, what size barrel is it, or do you have a picture? I might be interested.

It's basically a S&W J frame copy. I had one twenty years ago, it was a well built revolver. They are making new ones again I belive.

Wayne in FW
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:25 AM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcongunner View Post
It's basically a S&W J frame copy. I had one twenty years ago, it was a well built revolver. They are making new ones again I belive.

Wayne in FW
I always liked the MP version

http://www.great-lakes.org/graphics-...07/M&P_360.jpg
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 AM
Time Served

Quote:
The J frames are just about all the same except for frame material. My BUG is an airweight hamerless. Nice and light and fits in my pocket holster well. I had a small shoulder holster for my old charter arm undercover but I prefer the pocket holster.

OP, I am not sure I would get rid of the revolver if you can afford to keep it. A back up gun makes me feel safer and at times it's the only handgun I can carry in some environments.

Wayne in FW
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
What's wrong with keeping the Charter Arms .38 unless you are simply wanting to get something newer? Plenty of different self defense ammo loads for the .38 Special and I wouldn't feel to under gunned having one in the house. About the only thing I'd really care for is making sure it can handle +P loads. Remember, cops have been killing plenty of bad guys for years with .38's

Nothing wrong with a 9mm and ammo is cheap for it as well as the .38. If I were you, I'd keep the .38 and maybe add a 9mm to your "collection".

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Time Served

I agree with the 9mm. I can have and shoot about any caliber. In fact I do have and shoot most calibers but my daily carry gun was a 9 mm until a relative stole it out of my truck (my they rot in hell). I shoot well with he gun I had (CZ 75 compact) and I do not feel unprotected with the Glock 45 or the CZ 40 I carry now. , but I wish I had my 9 mm back. Try some hand guns on at the gun show. See what feels good to you when you hold it. Go to a range that rents handguns and shoot some. Then get some instruction beyond the CHL test. For $298 you can get a Ruger P95 from Sportingarms in the DFW area. Might not be the pistol for you, but you have to start somewhere. Other pistols will be in the $400-600 dollar range new.

http://www.sportingarms.com/results....=FIND+FIREARMS

Wayne in FW
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Lifer

no offense to anyone but WTF is the point of owning a .357 mag or .357 sig in a barrel shorter than 3 1/2" ?

I used to have a glock 33 and it was fucking rediculous flash / recoil . My G27 is nothing like it.
the short ass barrel negates most of the velocity your going to gain !

the added recoil and shock isn't going to help you in a defensive situation unless you want to scare them to death.
some have even said you gain NOTHING over a good 9mm +p load in those shorter barrels.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:56 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
no offense to anyone but WTF is the point of owning a .357 mag or .357 sig in a barrel shorter than 3 1/2" ?

I used to have a glock 33 and it was fucking rediculous flash / recoil . My G27 is nothing like it.
the short ass barrel negates most of the velocity your going to gain !

the added recoil and shock isn't going to help you in a defensive situation unless you want to scare them to death.
some have even said you gain NOTHING over a good 9mm +p load in those shorter barrels.
I think you're a little mistaken. I have no problem putting 6 rounds through a target at 20 ft. with my 2 1/2" .357 in a dim lit indoor range. It's remarkably accurate. And you seem to forget a .357 magnum can fire .38, .38 +P, .38 special as well.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I think you're a little mistaken. I have no problem putting 6 rounds through a target at 20 ft. with my 2 1/2" .357 in a dim lit indoor range. It's remarkably accurate. And you seem to forget a .357 magnum can fire .38, .38 +P, .38 special as well.
Agreed.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Lifer

I'm not saying you can't hit something...
I 'm saying you gain little to nothing in velocity over standard loads. Good point though you could just shoot .38's ...
but my point was you only gain flash , and recoil - little velocity... which is what does the real work when you hit the target
It's just distracting to shooting fast and effective in such a short barrel. But hey everyone's got something to prove , so they think bigger is better.

I;m not argueing it isn't more fun to drive a 1000 hp car down the strip that doesn't get any traction and smokes the whole track up. I just saying it runs the same exact time, and does the same job because the tires are too small for the power.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 05:13 PM
CJ

Quote:
I'm not saying you can't hit something...
I 'm saying you gain little to nothing in velocity over standard loads. Good point though you could just shoot .38's ...
but my point was you only gain flash , and recoil - little velocity... which is what does the real work when you hit the target
It's just distracting to shooting fast and effective in such a short barrel. But hey everyone's got something to prove , so they think bigger is better.

I;m not argueing it isn't more fun to drive a 1000 hp car down the strip that doesn't get any traction and smokes the whole track up. I just saying it runs the same exact time, and does the same job because the tires are too small for the power.
lol @ you saying I have something to prove with my choice of carry pistol and assuming I don't know what I'm doing?

You're forgetting that the barrel length is the control, so if you run a lower load, it suffers from even further effect. The purpose of a .357 on a short barrel weapon is to overcome the barrel length and still maintain a reasonable velocity. They don't make .357's in 2 1/2" for shits and giggles, it does have a purpose. And regardless, the argument is kind of pointless since no matter what the hell is in it, at 20 feet you are dead. I've looked over the terminal charts for the barrel lengths, and the tradeoff in velocity is negligible and merits using .357 over a standard .38 round.

But, since I load my own rounds, I control the amount of powder, and it's burn rate, so I could (and do) definiately take advantage of that higher caliber in the hollow points I use.

But regardless: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/38vs357snub.htm

Testing a 2 1/2" Barrel snub nose revolver.
Ammunition Average Velocity (ft/sec)

Federal .38 Special 129-grain Hydrashok +P....................................846
Winchester .38 Special 158-grain LSWCHP +P.................................858
Remington .357 Magnum 125-grain SJHP (Full-house load).................1243

that proves just about everything I've been explaining. A .357 snub has a hell of a lot more velocity than a .38. And if you can control it, that's what you want under your shirt. And people that own them are not idiots, or dick swingers, they have a realistic purpose. And are haunted by this incorrect belief they are pointless.

Last edited by CJ; 01-13-2009 at 05:57 PM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Im just going to say everything is freaking EXPENSIVE. Prices have jumped way up in the last 2 months. Went to the Mesquite gun show just after elections and handgun prices were still ok. A Springfield XD40 was $415 at that show. Fast forward to this month and prices are $475 for the same gun. XD45 jumped from $460 to $535. Store price on the XD40 is $500 now

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:10 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Im just going to say everything is freaking EXPENSIVE. Prices have jumped way up in the last 2 months. Went to the Mesquite gun show just after elections and handgun prices were still ok. A Springfield XD40 was $415 at that show. Fast forward to this month and prices are $475 for the same gun. XD45 jumped from $460 to $535. Store price on the XD40 is $500 now
I hear ya, I'm just a spectator now.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Lifer

I was more in reference to 9mm +P vs .357 sig out of short barrels , were there is little difference in velocity . I would guess less than 100fps.
sorry , don't get your panties in a wad - I forgot how bad .38's suck dick, so that changes the comparison a lot.

I'd rather be able to shoot fast, not have a lot of recoil / flash. The snappiness of .357 sig isn't worth it compared to .40 or .45 IMO.
but enjoy whatever you like. I hate revolvers , and i sure as fuck wouldn't carry a god damn snub nose as a choice of defense. fuck those DA triggers and no damn mag!

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 AM
CJ

Quote:
I was more in reference to 9mm +P vs .357 sig out of short barrels , were there is little difference in velocity . I would guess less than 100fps.
sorry , don't get your panties in a wad - I forgot how bad .38's suck dick, so that changes the comparison a lot.

I'd rather be able to shoot fast, not have a lot of recoil / flash. The snappiness of .357 sig isn't worth it compared to .40 or .45 IMO.
but enjoy whatever you like. I hate revolvers , and i sure as fuck wouldn't carry a god damn snub nose as a choice of defense. fuck those DA triggers and no damn mag!
revolvers have great advantages. They never jam, they don't leave shell casings, and you've got the best safety in the world, no round in the chamber the firing pin is resting on. And honestly, with a quick loader you're just as fast as someone with an auto.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:

"What were you going to do with the rest of them....funny man... Laugh the last 3 to death? - boondock saints

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
"What were you going to do with the rest of them....funny man... Laugh the last 3 to death? - boondock saints
"Did you see the size of that gun he fired at us? It was bigger than him."
pulp fiction
still gotta hit the target!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement