Are CHL's "legal" on injun reservations? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Are CHL's "legal" on injun reservations?

Just wondering if anyone knows if CHL's are actually honored on tribal lands. I've been known to wander onto some from time to time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Banned

depends entirely on the laws of the reservations
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
depends entirely on the laws of the reservations
I don't remember being told this during my CHL class. So basically, just because a state says it's reciprocal, doesn't mean that the WHOLE state is.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
I don't remember being told this during my CHL class. So basically, just because a state says it's reciprocal, doesn't mean that the WHOLE state is.
The reservations are not part of the state. They are under the protection of the USA and are considered independent nations. It's an antiquated concept that should be done away with, but political correctness and contract law make it difficult. They are Americans but not Americans. Confusing hey?

I travel in New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, and Utah a lot, sometimes in the Pacific Northwest. You cannot travel on an interstate in New Mexico with out crossing a reservation somewhere.

To answer you question, I would say that no reservation allows or recognizes a CHL unless you are a member of the tribe and maybe not then. You can ask for permission to carry but considering the way their governments are structured and operated, then throw in a ample supply of contempt for Americans, it is not likely that any outsider would get permission. Think Chicago politics with a Native American face.

It's generally thought (at least in NM) that if you are on major highways tribal police will not bother you unless they want to mess with you for some reason. I lock my carry gun (you can only carry one concealed weapon in NM!) in the trunk or box when I am out in the Navajo res on back roads. I think it is stupid, but so was the restriction on carrying in The National Parks and Monuments. Gun laws do not make logical sense, are politically motivated, and ineffective just about anywhere. Reservations are no exceptions. Just be discrete, stay on major US and state highways and don't do anything to get stopped for.

Wayne in FW
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 09:30 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcongunner View Post
The reservations are not part of the state. They are under the protection of the USA and are considered independent nations. It's an antiquated concept that should be done away with, but political correctness and contract law make it difficult. They are Americans but not Americans. Confusing hey?

I travel in New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, and Utah a lot, sometimes in the Pacific Northwest. You cannot travel on an interstate in New Mexico with out crossing a reservation somewhere.

To answer you question, I would say that no reservation allows or recognizes a CHL unless you are a member of the tribe and maybe not then. You can ask for permission to carry but considering the way their governments are structured and operated, then throw in a ample supply of contempt for Americans, it is not likely that any outsider would get permission. Think Chicago politics with a Native American face.

It's generally thought (at least in NM) that if you are on major highways tribal police will not bother you unless they want to mess with you for some reason. I lock my carry gun (you can only carry one concealed weapon in NM!) in the trunk or box when I am out in the Navajo res on back roads. I think it is stupid, but so was the restriction on carrying in The National Parks and Monuments. Gun laws do not make logical sense, are politically motivated, and ineffective just about anywhere. Reservations are no exceptions. Just be discrete, stay on major US and state highways and don't do anything to get stopped for.

Wayne in FW
That's about everything I was going to say, good information. If you ever get stopped by them show respect and you'll normally be okay. If you're driving into and out of the reservation itself you better be careful carrying.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Time Served

It is interesting that the CHL classes I have had (each a different instructor) have never mentioned reservations. There are at least two reservations in Texas and it is not mentioned in any of the study material or reg books. If fact they really don't talk much about traveling in other states beside what states are reciprocal with Texas. I just got my Utah license last year and the info was sparse for anything on their test. Utah has to be one of the more gun friendly states that I have visited. Navajo and Ute reservation are in the Southern part of Utah (where I like to hang out) and I think there are a few others. Nothing in Utah laws mentions reservations.

I guess it's because the instructors are not required to provide the info and there are only a small percentage of people who would need to know. I find gun laws entertaining in that most are just so stupid that it's like a Mad TV skit. The laws are also very annoying and pontentially life altering. I say vote Libertarian!

Wayne in FW
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
If you ever get stopped by them show respect and you'll normally be okay.
So you wouldn't recommend telling the Res Police that if they don't let me off with a warning, I will cry a Trail of Tears the rest of my journey?

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Time Served

Just tell them that Kit Carson was your great, great grandfather and that your lineage goes back to Christopher Columbus. It will impress them. Your Journey will be accelerated and blessed. You will be one with the others in your cell.

Wayne in FW
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcongunner View Post
Just tell them that Kit Carson was your great, great grandfather and that your lineage goes back to Christopher Columbus. It will impress them. Your Journey will be accelerated and blessed. You will be one with the others in your cell.

Wayne in FW
LOL!

Maybe they will throw in some peyote for me?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Time Served

Quote:
LOL!

Maybe they will throw in some peyote for me?
That's all they need is one more person barfing in the cell!

Wayne in FW
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:59 PM
CJ

Quote:
So you wouldn't recommend telling the Res Police that if they don't let me off with a warning, I will cry a Trail of Tears the rest of my journey?

Just address them as "'mornin injun, I'm assuming you'll want to see the insurance and registration on my horseless carriage." and then slip them some fire water and give a wink.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Just address them as "'mornin injun, I'm assuming you'll want to see the insurance and registration on my horseless carriage." and then slip them some fire water and give a wink.
Was on the phone while reading that and choked. LOL! Customer service lady said "sir are you there?"
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:25 PM
CJ

Quote:
Was on the phone while reading that and choked. LOL! Customer service lady said "sir are you there?"
haha
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 07:04 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone knows if CHL's are actually honored on tribal lands. I've been known to wander onto some from time to time.
I think I am more worried about your use of the word "injun". Was it that much harder to say "American Indian"? You do know that's a racial slur, like ni*ger?

You're no better than THAT guy.

2004 KB Oxford White Cobra 574rwhp/540rwtq - FOR SALE
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:56 AM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow95gt View Post
I think I am more worried about your use of the word "injun". Was it that much harder to say "American Indian"? You do know that's a racial slur, like ni*ger?

You insult the spirit DFWStangs trying to bring political correctness into this website. Methinks you have yet to traverse this forum enough to get the proper grasp of how we do things 'round here, boy.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:42 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Depending on the tribe I'd think open carry is the order of the day in most cases. Your license will not be reciprocal though if that's what you are asking. Treat them as a sovereign nation.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_cj View Post
you insult the spirit dfwstangs trying to bring political correctness into this website. Methinks you have yet to traverse this forum enough to get the proper grasp of how we do things 'round here, boy.
x2.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Time Served

Quote:

Lighten up, my great grandmother was Cherokee and I thought it was funny. I have been around American Indians when their guard was down and you should hear them talk about me! If I was offended I would slice 5.0 CJ's ear off and stuff it in his throttle body!

Wayne in FW
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c
Sponsored Links
Advertisement