Always double check your weapons and placement with kids... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Unhappy Always double check your weapons and placement with kids...

http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/ci...220?source=rss

Star Grewe returned to East Palo Alto on Thursday from Bedford, Texas, to see her 2-year-old son Andrew, who was living with her mother to get treatment at Stanford Hospital for a medical condition due to his premature birth.

But things went terribly awry as Grewe played with Andrew and other children in the garage of a relative's house on the 2200 block of Menalto Avenue.

Grewe said her 12-year-old first cousin was playing with a small rifle that everyone thought was a toy when a shot rang out, striking Andrew at about 11:10 p.m. Thursday.

Paramedics took the child to a local hospital, where he died at about 11:45 p.m. of a gunshot wound to the chest, police said. Andrew was Grewe's only child.

"The gun part of it was an accident," Grewe said Friday, choking back tears. "They didn't know it was a real gun. We just heard the gunshot."

Grewe said she didn't realize anyone was hurt "until my son's face turned pale."

The family then called police, who attempted to perform CPR until the paramedics arrived.

East Palo Alto police Capt. Carl Estelle said officers believe a 33-year-old man named Sergio Sanchez left the gun at the house. Sanchez was apparently living with the family temporarily and may have shot himself in the left hand with the weapon about two weeks ago, Estelle said.

After that alleged shooting, the family asked Sanchez to get rid of the gun or leave, Estelle said. Police believe Sanchez left but hid the gun somewhere in the house.

"We're still looking for him — he's a person of interest," Estelle said. "We'd like to find out from Sergio if in fact he did shoot himself a couple of weeks ago and, at that time, was the 12-year-old present? Did the 12-year-old witness it? Was the gun left, and why was the gun left at the location? Did they leave it loaded?"

He added that Sanchez may work at a 7-Eleven in the area.

"There's a lot of places in the house where you could hide a gun because of the condition of the house," Estelle said, noting that the residence appeared "very crammed."

Members of Grewe's family living at an address police gave reporters said the shooting actually occurred in a white house across the street, where a heater, boxes and other items filled the garage.

The 12-year-old boy and five of his siblings are in the custody of Child Protective Services, police said. Authorities may return the children after interviewing everyone involved and determining there are no more weapons in the house, Estelle said.

"There's actually two victims in this — the poor 2-year-old who was shot and the 12-year-old who was allowed to be in conditions where a weapon could be found and recovered and played with and ultimately used to end the life of a 2-year-old," Estelle said.

Lisha Simmons, a neighbor and family friend, described the 12-year-old boy as a good kid.

"I wouldn't expect this to happen," she said.

For her part, Grewe said she doesn't blame her cousin because "he didn't mean it."

San Mateo County Chief Deputy District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said Friday that Sanchez could face child endangerment charges, particularly if authorities determine he gave the weapon to the boy. Under a separate California law, authorities can hold gun owners who leave a weapon in an area that's accessible to children responsible.

Police haven't arrested anyone in the shooting, and the San Mateo County District Attorney's office will determine whether criminal charges will be filed. San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault said autopsy results for Andrew would be available this morning.

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Arbeit Macht Frei

RIP little one

People need to be way safer with their guns, where the keep them and how they are kept. So many preventable deaths each year from people playing with guns. I dont have kids yet, but the first thing they will learn is gun safety, toy or not. Theyll get to shoot when they are old enough to understand how one works, and more importantly what can happen with misuse. Its sad it takes a death(or near death) for people to become more careful in most cases

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

The best advice that I ever heard and that I follow is too teach them to respect any gun, even a toy. If my son asks about mine I drop whatever I am doing and we look together, safely. I never want to build curiosity for something that could be disastrous by saying "You can't see my guns till you're older".

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Lifer

Gun safe FTMFW...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 05:13 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

As I type this post I have 7 assault rifles sitting in my living room. But, I don't have kids.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
As I type this post I have 7 assault rifles sitting in my living room. But, I don't have kids.

Where the F$*# to you live? I know it's somewhere just north of me, but PM your exact address and what time you go to work..

It's time to double my booty..........
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 05:28 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Where the F$*# to you live? I know it's somewhere just north of me, but PM your exact address and what time you go to work..

It's time to double my booty..........
Haha, I knew I'd get that kind of response. Don't worry, I work from home!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Mother fucker has to go to the grocery store sometime.......................................... ..........................................
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 06:01 PM
PAN

Damn! CJ has a class III...

RIP tu pobre cito... Or something like that...

This is exactly why my two boys are trained to think ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded and that if they go to a friends house, and one of their friends plays with ANY gun, GTFO!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 06:13 PM
老师

Quote:
Mother fucker has to go to the grocery store sometime.......................................... ..........................................
Everyone runs errands........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
This is exactly why my two boys are trained to think ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded and that if they go to a friends house, and one of their friends plays with ANY gun, GTFO!
YUP!

Actually, I told mine to RUN THE FUCK AWAY (but without the FUCK part)....
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I'm going to have to use my "resources" and get a solid addy on your ass.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:34 PM
CJ

Quote:
I'm going to have to use my "resources" and get a solid addy on your ass.
Okay now I'm going to start setting up claymores and landmines.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Okay now I'm going to start setting up claymores and landmines.

Booby traps are illegal. Just keep that in mind..........
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 07:56 PM
CJ

Quote:
Booby traps are illegal. Just keep that in mind..........
Oh yeah, I know - emergency services, liability, etc. (I knew you'd say that).

"I'm not sure exactly why he exploded on my front lawn?"
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Oh yeah, I know - emergency services, liability, etc. (I knew you'd say that).

"I'm not sure exactly why he exploded on my front lawn?"

*In redneck speak*

That sumbitch musta been one of them suicide bombers... WTF was he doin' comin' to my house?????
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
*In redneck speak*

That sumbitch musta been one of them suicide bombers... WTF was he doin' comin' to my house?????
This guy in Commanche was taking pot shots at the local PD and SO cars that drove by with roman candles and "artillery shell" fireworks. I couldn't stop laughing when I heard about it. When they pulled up to arrest him, he started shooting a cap gun at them. It turns out he was whacked out on crystal meth (big surprise!), and later had no recollection of the incident. That dumb son of a bitch got thrown under the jail!

Give me a dollar.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
This guy in Commanche was taking pot shots at the local PD and SO cars that drove by with roman candles and "artillery shell" fireworks. I couldn't stop laughing when I heard about it. When they pulled up to arrest him, he started shooting a cap gun at them. It turns out he was whacked out on crystal meth (big surprise!), and later had no recollection of the incident. That dumb son of a bitch got thrown under the jail!
My dream "Less than Lethal" gun would be the paintball gun with pepper spray pellets.

I want one of those so damn bad....
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trublugt View Post
*in redneck speak*

that sumbitch musta been one of them suicide bombers... Wtf was he doin' comin' to my house?????
lol!
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Lifer

Quote:
My dream "Less than Lethal" gun would be the paintball gun with pepper spray pellets.

I want one of those so damn bad....
Such a horrible outcome to an avoidable mistake. No kids yet, but weapons safety is going to rank right up there around lesson number 1.

I want some Arty sims and simunition 5.56 rounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement