DFW Mustang Forums banner

Best bang for buck????

2K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  Baron 
#1 ·
I was looking around for a decent 9mm pistol and decided on either the ruger p89, a s&w sigma 9mm or a taurus 24/7 9mm ss. What do you gun gurus say about these three???

#6 ·
I have both the p89 and 24/7 you cant go wrong with either. I would stay away from the sigma. Positives on the p89 it can except 30rd's mags and positive on the 24/7 is its lighter so it would be suitable for concealing.

#21 ·
I totally agree with you. I don't understand why people talk down on ruger p89-or-p94 pistols :wtf1:. Its heavy but a very durable inexpensive gun that is very accurate. I bought the Taurus 24/7 pro in .40 cal for my wife, and its a very good quality gun for the money. It has so many features especially safety, and again another good bang for the buck gun.

#19 ·
All those guns have triggers. All those guns have barrels. All those guns have magazine releases. All those guns have slide locks. It kind of becomes a personal choice really. The slide locks are in different locations. The magazine releases are different. Some guns feel nose heavy. Some feel too fat around the grip. Some are better made than others. It's hard to pin point specific items without you actually having the gun in front of you. A lot of it is about what feels right for you. If you are trying to stay in the $300 range, you won't have many choices. Bump your price range up a bit and you'll have many more to choose from.

The same advice applies to all new gun buyers. Go to the gun rental place with someone who knows something about different hand guns. Touch and feel the different ones and ask questions. Try not to go with a Glock die hard or an XD fanatic. Narrow your choices down to a few that feel right in your hand, then shoot those. At the end of that exercise, you'll have the gun that's right for you. It took me 3-4 trips to the range to pick the XD over the Glock. I rented both and shot both multiple times.

#9 ·
1. you get what you pay for.

i have a friend with a tourus and it shoots ok but i absolutely hate the trigger. i would never buy one for that reason.

go to a range a rent a few. it will cost a little but better than buying a gun and not liking it

#16 ·
24/7 pro.

#17 ·
The cool thing about the p89 is when you run out of ammo you can club them with it. I owned a p95 for a while sold it to a guy on the forums. I never had a ftf or fte. It was a great gun for a first pistol.

#32 ·
For a first timer there's nothing wrong with spending what your looking at for a decent gun to get you started. My first was a S&W Sigma .40Cal, yes I know most everyone on here hates them but after doing some research online about it I felt good about the purchase. It's been a great gun, fits me well and shoots nicely. No jams yet out of several hundreds of rounds put through it. I think I paid like $250 for it used.
Also, bought a Walther P22 for fun and so the wife can get use to shooting. Another great gun.
Then I got a Taurus PT111 9MM from Academy on Black Friday for $239 plus tax. This is the one I carry in my car, smaller, feels good when shooting I couldn't be an happier.

It gets addicting, don't feel like to have to go all out on your first. Work your way up, you can always sell your first to put towards a better one.
Most of the guys on here make over $500K Year so it's easier for them, don't worry about it..LOL
Good Luck :fing02:

#34 ·
+1 I bought my wife the sigma 9mm for christmas, we ran about 200 rounds through it, no jams no FTF's. I took it out to wileys gun shop in Wills Point, did pretty good at 75 feet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.