Prarie dog shooting? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Prarie dog shooting?

So when/where is a good place to go and how do you go about setting it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Factory Issue

There are big ranches where you can get a guided hunt on them from the Texas panhandle, all the way north. Most of the time, you can hunt them on public land like any other game. Just make sure you're following all the regs. Some of the better hunts appear to be on those ranches, because the guides know where all the big populations are. Don't shoot anyone's cows while you're at it.

Give me a dollar.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Time Served

My grandparents will let you get the Prairie Dogs on their land in Colorado to help keep the horses from twisting their ankles in the holes.

2010 Kona Blue

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Lifer

I have seen pics of someone here doing out in the Lubbock area. Wish I could remember who it was.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 12:07 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw33 View Post
So when/where is a good place to go and how do you go about setting it up?
Head out into the boons and ask someone with a lot of land if they need some prairie dogs killed. A lot of the time they will even pay you to do it. That's when the .17 HMR comes into use. A few years ago I did it for one of my friends neighbors, he had 4,600 acres in central texas. I sat in the cab of a chevy pickup from dawn until dusk for a week, the truck had shells in every nook and cranny of the interior you can imagine. And then when you're on your way back at dusk, drive back through your killing grounds and pick off the coyotes, a lot of ranchers will pay you by the head for those also. When it was all said and done he paid me $500 bucks on top of my ammo costs.

Last edited by CJ; 01-08-2009 at 12:12 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Head out into the boons and ask someone with a lot of land if they need some prairie dogs killed. A lot of the time they will even pay you to do it. That's when the .17 HMR comes into use. A few years ago I did it for one of my friends neighbors, he had 4,600 acres in central texas. I sat in the cab of a chevy pickup from dawn until dusk for a week, the truck had shells in every nook and cranny of the interior you can imagine. And then when you're on your way back at dusk, drive back through your killing grounds and pick off the coyotes, a lot of ranchers will pay you by the head for those also. When it was all said and done he paid me $500 bucks on top of my ammo costs.
Sounds like fun.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 12:20 AM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
Sounds like fun.
you smell like cordite, you're deaf, and have the absolute worst farmers tan you can imagine, but it's certainly fun.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Time Served

Better get your hunts in soon. For those of you who did not know, the Black Tailed Prairie Dog (one of five species) has been proposed for endangered species or threatened species protection. After it was discovered that the USFW made a politically motivated decision to not look at the status of the BT Prairie Dog, the USFW is currently re-considering and reviewing the status and will issue a decision by mid 2010. This means at the very least that hunts may be outlawed in most if not all states. President elect Obama appointed Ken Salazar of Colorado as Secretary of Interior and is considered a lapdog for the administration. If you get the drift of this, the efforts of the Bush administration will be scuttled and replaced by more left leaning “politically motivated scientific decisions”.

I did my early graduate work on prairie dogs in the 70’s and I have hunted PD in various states. Last year I used my 45-70 on White Tailed PD's and that was really interesting. In any event, the recent elections will affect more that just our gun rights and other freedoms. You will see a much different environmental and hunting viewpoint.

Wayne in FW
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcongunner View Post
Better get your hunts in soon. For those of you who did not know, the Black Tailed Prairie Dog (one of five species) has been proposed for endangered species or threatened species protection. After it was discovered that the USFW made a politically motivated decision to not look at the status of the BT Prairie Dog, the USFW is currently re-considering and reviewing the status and will issue a decision by mid 2010. This means at the very least that hunts may be outlawed in most if not all states. President elect Obama appointed Ken Salazar of Colorado as Secretary of Interior and is considered a lapdog for the administration. If you get the drift of this, the efforts of the Bush administration will be scuttled and replaced by more left leaning “politically motivated scientific decisions”.

I did my early graduate work on prairie dogs in the 70’s and I have hunted PD in various states. Last year I used my 45-70 on White Tailed PD's and that was really interesting. In any event, the recent elections will affect more that just our gun rights and other freedoms. You will see a much different environmental and hunting viewpoint.

Wayne in FW
Wayne is a party pooper.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
Wayne is a party pooper.

The voters of our nation already pooped on things!

This is the quote I go by:

"IF guns are outlawed only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." Edward Abbey

Same goes for Prairie Dogs.

Wayne in FW
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcongunner View Post
The voters of our nation already pooped on things!

This is the quote I go by:

"IF guns are outlawed only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." Edward Abbey

Same goes for Prairie Dogs.

Wayne in FW
psh, prairie dogs can't hold any gun that I'd be afraid of standing in front of. I'd prefer it anyways, make things more interesting to see little helmets pop out of the holes for once.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Time Served

Quote:
psh, prairie dogs can't hold any gun that I'd be afraid of standing in front of. I'd prefer it anyways, make things more interesting to see little helmets pop out of the holes for once.

Just don't have a PD hole at your back. A bunch of little bullets can be devastating to your ass. They are crafty devils! I have wounds from hand to tooth combat.

Wayne in FW
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I'm really not looking to do anything like pay or try to get payed to hunt them, I was just wanting to plink at them for an afternoon or so with my 10-22 that I haven't shot in years. I figured I could make an entire day of it if I had to drive a few hours to get there and back.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:

LMAO!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement