Gun/Legality of shooting question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
PAN

Gun/Legality of shooting question

Where can I find the text for the gun law passed in Collin County passed as a result of my ex neighbor a couple years back? I need to find the text in order to explore exactly what is and is not legal with regard to shooting. I was talking with a guy a month or so ago about this who related that as it reads we can legally shoot shotguns on 2 or more acres, but no long rifles or hand guns unless we have at least ten. As we are in the county, this interpretation is critical.

Once we figure that issue out, I have to determine whether or not I am subject to the "Gun Free/Drug Free" zone present around schools, as I now have a school 200' from my front door. My house has been here since '76, the school for one year, it's in the city limits and I'm in the county. Anyone have a clue as to how that would break down?

Reason for the curiosity is that we were shooting clays out back, firing towards 30 acres of nothing, and the Wylie PD has an issue with it. Today they sent our FOUR squads, carrying a total of EIGHT cops. Needless to say it was mildly humorous when the two of us look up to eight cops trying to act like hardasses cause we were firing two shots at a time.

Not exaggerating but you would have thought we had just robbed a bank...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 08:22 PM
African Booty Scratcher

mike you fuckin' troublemaking gangster!!

gdo bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Lifer

and you want me to come out there to put the hitch on?

How many weapons shall I bring

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Clown

You should be able to find it online. As far as the school being close by, that might be tricky. I use to live in Sachse and even they weren't 100 percent sure where you could dove hunt and where you couldn't. If you live in the county, why didn't the Collin County Sheriffs Dept come out?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&T's 82
You should be able to find it online. As far as the school being close by, that might be tricky. I use to live in Sachse and even they weren't 100 percent sure where you could dove hunt and where you couldn't. If you live in the county, why didn't the Collin County Sheriffs Dept come out?
x2, isn't that outside of wylie's juristiction?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
PAN

Gotta keep 'em on their toes, I always say...

And just bring whatever you want to shoot dude. We'll just go shoot behind the barn where they can't see us...

As for why CCSO didn't respond, I think it's because they know that I was in the right, but trying to back the PD in stopping us from playing. Otherwise, not sure, but they never even drove by.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco71
x2, isn't that outside of wylie's juristiction?
Yes, that's why I was puzzled by their actions.

The question there is that with fire departments, there is a 'coverage zone' in which they cover homes that are actually outside the city limits. I'm curious as to how much 'power' they have in an instance such as this...

LE guys?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Meeeeooowww

In new law, country residents must hold their fire or face fine

Collin County: Officials ban shooting of weapons on most properties within subdivisions

08:36 PM CDT on Thursday, June 2, 2005

By ED HOUSEWRIGHT / The Dallas Morning News

A feud between two neighbors has prompted Collin County officials to restrict the shooting of firearms on small rural home sites.

[Click image for a larger version] JUAN GARCIA/DMN
JUAN GARCIA/DMN
Gene Bush of Collin County says her neighbor's target practice scared her and spooked her horse, Nifty.

Effective immediately, residents can be fined up to $500 for firing a weapon on their property if they live on less than 10 acres within a subdivision.

The impetus for the restriction, approved by county commissioners last week, was a complaint by an elderly woman in an unincorporated area near Wylie.

Gene Bush has called the Sheriff's Department several times to say that her next-door neighbor on County Road 434 had repeatedly been taking target practice in his yard, scaring her and spooking her horse.

"I sure didn't like it," said Mrs. Bush, who lives on two acres of land with a barn. "Nobody likes rapid, repeated gunfire when you don't know who's shooting or what direction they're shooting.

"There's the danger of a stray bullet, as well as of livestock jumping the fence and running onto the roadway or running over a small child playing in their yard."

She said that her neighbor, who also has two acres, began firing in his back yard in April and continued over the next few weeks, despite her complaints. Their homes straddle the eastern boundary of Wylie.

Her neighbor, Michael Christiana, said Mrs. Bush is exaggerating the number of times he fired and the disruption it caused. He said he shot at targets in front of an earthen berm 8 feet tall and 15 feet wide.

"It was really not a big issue at all," Mr. Christiana said.

He said he's angry that Mrs. Bush persuaded county commissioners to pass the gun restriction. He said he wasn't aware the item was on the commissioners' agenda for consideration.

"I think it's an infringement on my rights and something I will be looking into," Mr. Christiana said. "They passed it on the word of a lady with no corroborating evidence."

Maj. Charles Ruckel of the sheriff's department said that complaints about gunfire in rural areas are common.

"We probably get at least one complaint a day," he said. "This will help us. It'll give us something we can work with."

Gunfire is prohibited in cities, but no such restrictions have existed in unincorporated areas until now.

It's about time, said Earl Newsom, deputy constable of Precinct 2, which includes the Wylie area. As the county grows, more people are living closer together in rural areas.

Platted subdivisions with small acreage are becoming more common, officials said. The new court order does not apply to people who live on less than 10 acres of land in isolated areas away from other homes.

"Collin County is not as rural as it used to be," said Mr. Newsom. "We simply can't do the things we did 20 years ago. It's just not a safe practice."

Some rural residents, however, may bristle at the shooting restriction, said Chief Deputy Rick Allen of the sheriff's department. Some move to the country so they can be free of city ordinances.

"I think there definitely could be a backlash from people not fully understanding the reason behind the [commissioners] court's passing of this particular law," Chief Allen said.

Officers, however, can decide on a case-by-case basis whether to cite a person for disobeying the order, he said. Violation is a Class C misdemeanor, punishable by up to a $500 fine.

"If we feel like a neighbor is threatened if we witness the discharge then we'll certainly take the appropriate action," Chief Allen said. "At the same time, it gives us the discretion to determine that it's not a threat to the public, and we would just basically ... go on to the next call."

Mrs. Bush said she's grateful to commissioners for heeding her complaints and passing the order.

"I am so thankful that there are laws to protect people and their property," she said. "In a platted neighborhood, no one should be firing like that."

TEXAS LOCAL GOVERNMENT CODE, CHAPTER 235, SUBCHAPTER B. FIREARMS
(Originally passed in 1989)

235.021. SUBDIVISIONS COVERED BY SUBCHAPTER. This
subchapter applies only to a subdivision all or a part of which is
located in the unincorporated area of a county and for which a plat
is required to be prepared and filed under Chapter 232.

235.022. AUTHORITY TO REGULATE. To promote the public
safety, the commissioners court of a county by order may prohibit or
otherwise regulate the discharge of firearms on lots that are 10
acres or smaller and are located in the unincorporated area of the
county in a subdivision.

235.023. PROHIBITED REGULATIONS. This subchapter
does not authorize the commissioners court to regulate the
transfer, ownership, possession, or transportation of firearms and
does not authorize the court to require the registration of
firearms.

235.024. INJUNCTION. Any person is entitled to
appropriate injunctive relief to prevent a violation or threatened
violation of a prohibition or other regulation adopted under this
subchapter from continuing or occurring.

235.025. CRIMINAL PENALTY. A person commits an
offense if the person intentionally or knowingly engages in conduct
that is a violation of a regulation adopted under this subchapter by
the commissioners court. An offense under this section is a Class C
misdemeanor. If it is shown on the trial of an offense under this
section that the person has previously been convicted of an offense
under this section, the offense is a Class B misdemeanor.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:56 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

fuck that bitch, I'd walk in front of her front window and fire off 100 rounds of belted ammo and let the brass bang against her glass.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ
fuck that bitch, I'd walk in front of her front window and fire off 100 rounds of belted ammo and let the brass bang against her glass.

x2. screw her mike. elderly women love to cause trouble. shoot off some .50 or 20mm.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Clown

My dad lives in East Texas 10 miles from the nearest town and he has been hassled a few times about his shooting. Sheriffs deputy came out once and told my dad that he was called to come check out the shooting. He asked that we make the burm larger. The man who owns the land next to my dad's said that he was selling it to a person who was going to live there and that my dad would have to stop his shooting. Dad's response....."I was here first"
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 01:22 AM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&T's 82
My dad lives in East Texas 10 miles from the nearest town and he has been hassled a few times about his shooting. Sheriffs deputy came out once and told my dad that he was called to come check out the shooting. He asked that we make the burm larger. The man who owns the land next to my dad's said that he was selling it to a person who was going to live there and that my dad would have to stop his shooting. Dad's response....."I was here first"
my response would have been to ask when they plan on seeing the house/property. Because that's the day I'd take off work and fire machineguns.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 01:38 AM
Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ
my response would have been to ask when they plan on seeing the house/property. Because that's the day I'd take off work and fire machineguns.
LOL...sold the mini 14 so no rapid firing, however hearing a 45-70 is pretty intense.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:06 AM
Musician for the deaf

Time to raise the stakes. Get a case of tannerite targets.

http://www.tannerite.com/
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:31 AM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Time to raise the stakes. Get a case of tannerite targets.

http://www.tannerite.com/
great idea, just ordered some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement