Need some advice. Handling guns for a widow - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
The first, the original

Need some advice. Handling guns for a widow

I met a widow who ended up with a LOT of guns her husband left behind. She let me look through some of the rifles so I can figure out values. I really want to see her treated fairly. I am not sure where to begin. Here is what I was able to identify tonight.

Winchester Mod 90 22
Norinco Mac 90 Sporter 7.62
Remington 788
Savage Model 20 22
Savage 110E Model H
Sears Hawkin? 292 50 cal black powder
Winchester 1200 12 ga
JW Higgins Model 44
Winchester 94
Marlin Mod 99

I would like to help her find fair buyers and possibly take a small cut or one or two guns in trade for finding buyers for all the rest.

I don't know what the laws are for this sort of thing now days. Anything I need to be aware of? I don't claim to be a gun expert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Lifer

You can sell them FTF in Texas or post an ad anywhere and run them through an FFL.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
The first, the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
You can sell them FTF in Texas or post an ad anywhere and run them through an FFL.
I'm new at this. What is an FTF or FFL?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Time Served

face to face. Legally you don't have to do any paperwork etc like you would if you bought from walmart etc.

However if it would make the widow happier you could run to a local gun shop and he will oversee the sale (FFL, federal firearm licence holder).

Most of the guns listed are not extremely valuable so i don't see someone stealing a gold mine or anything 150-300 for most of them.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
I'm new at this. What is an FTF or FFL?
In the state of Texas you can sell guns Face to Face to Texas residents without the use of a FFL (Federal Firearms License=Gun Dealer).
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Musician for the deaf

Be aware that the ATF has been stepping up efforts to prosecute gun-show dealers who don't have a Federal license (FFL). I doubt if renting a table and pricing them to sell would even blip their radar but multiple times, I don't know. I wouldn't make a side business out of it without the FFL. It is an option, but be prepared to spend a weekend and come back with at least one that no one wants.

Or find a dealer nearby who might do a lot buy or even sell consignment. I wouldn't expect more than $100 apiece for them that way though at most. You add a lot of middle.

Maybe offer her $500 for the whole lot and call it fair? I'd say it is, she gets peace of mind that someone legit has them now, you can even give her a bill of sale for her records, plus the deal is over and done with quickly. On your end, that isn't a bad lot for that price, looks like several nice teenager birthday presents in the mix, plus maybe a couple you want to keep, and maybe a couple you can sell to recoup for your money and effort.

edit: I just reread and realized this was only a sample. My rec stands, offer a set $50/each for the whole lot and it sounds fair, if this is really a good example of the collection.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Time Served

I'm interested in the Norinco Mac 90 Sporter 7.62 and mabe the Winchester 1200 12 ga
depending on the price.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I met a widow who ended up with a LOT of guns her husband left behind. She let me look through some of the rifles so I can figure out values. I really want to see her treated fairly. I am not sure where to begin. Here is what I was able to identify tonight.

Winchester Mod 90 22
Norinco Mac 90 Sporter 7.62
Remington 788
Savage Model 20 22
Savage 110E Model H
Sears Hawkin? 292 50 cal black powder
Winchester 1200 12 ga
JW Higgins Model 44
Winchester 94
Marlin Mod 99

I would like to help her find fair buyers and possibly take a small cut or one or two guns in trade for finding buyers for all the rest.

I don't know what the laws are for this sort of thing now days. Anything I need to be aware of? I don't claim to be a gun expert.

Blue book of gun values. Look at that. Cabelas I know will buy guns in lots. You will need to go to the gun room if you want to do that. That would probably be your best bet if you don't want to sit on them for a while or get f'd to get them gone quick.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Saved

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatassLX
Blue book of gun values. Look at that. Cabelas I know will buy guns in lots. You will need to go to the gun room if you want to do that. That would probably be your best bet if you don't want to sit on them for a while or get f'd to get them gone quick.
Yeah but Cabela's will only give ya about 35 cents on the dollar in market value..... Put them on gunbroker.com and see what You get..... I'd like an opportunity to look the lot over myself. the Win. 94 and Savage H might be nteresting.....

"Conform to his image" Romans 8:29
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 04:09 PM
The token Asian guy

Also check www.gunbroker.com for what they are selling for.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
The first, the original

I'm weighing my options. I don't want to screw the lady (in any sense of the word), but I'd like for us both to benefit. Maybe earn a gun or two just for finding buyers for the rest or buy them all then try to sell them. I really don't have a place to keep them though.

Another problem I got is that I would not have heard about these if it weren't for another guy so he's going to expect his cut.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:18 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
edit: I just reread and realized this was only a sample. My rec stands, offer a set $50/each for the whole lot and it sounds fair, if this is really a good example of the collection.

Sounds like a fair fucking without lube maybe. There's just no way in hell that I could do that to anyone, much less a widowed little old lady who could very well be on a fixed income. That offer ranks right up there with the asshat that took that lady for her dead husbands huge box of tools about a year ago...

Seriously, if you are going to do something like that I think you should offer an average of at least 60% of market. There IS such a thing as 'doing the right thing' after all...
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466
Sounds like a fair fucking without lube maybe. There's just no way in hell that I could do that to anyone, much less a widowed little old lady who could very well be on a fixed income. That offer ranks right up there with the asshat that took that lady for her dead husbands huge box of tools about a year ago...

Seriously, if you are going to do something like that I think you should offer an average of at least 60% of market. There IS such a thing as 'doing the right thing' after all...
If that is a fair cross reference then you are looking at a lot of guns that will bring maybe $75 at a table at big town, assuming you have them priced to sell that weekend. And you have to pay for the table each time you try and turn them. Remember that in the long run you have storage, transport, selling costs, several things. Taking the whole shebang relieves her of a lot of time, responsibility and worry.

That assumes he just jotted down a representative list and didn't neglect to mention that $3k beretta clay gun

If you think that is such a piss poor deal for her, offer more than $1k for the list above. Then go try and break even in a week. I'm not trying to be cold, just realistic.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Lifer

If you start separating them, it's going to be more trouble than it's worth, especially dealing with the low-ballers on here. Try to sell the lot for her, then both of you are done with it. You might get stuck with a few cheap/undesireable guns if you start to let folks pick through them.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
The first, the original

I know another widow who dealt with the same thing. Her husband had 33 guns. The Bullet Trap in Plano came out to her house and loaded them all up, gave her cash on the spot for all the ammo and sold the guns on consignment on a 15/85 split. She said she was getting check for a few months until they all sold but one. We didn't talk about how much she got though.

Isn't there a gun show going on at Market Hall os somewhere this weekend?
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
I know another widow who dealt with the same thing. Her husband had 33 guns. The Bullet Trap in Plano came out to her house and loaded them all up, gave her cash on the spot for all the ammo and sold the guns on consignment on a 15/85 split. She said she was getting check for a few months until they all sold but one. We didn't talk about how much she got though.

I second the Bullet trap. Great people and they actually do a good job selling stuff on consignment for you. They market things very well to their regular customers.

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 11:15 PM

guns

So are you guys going to sell this stuff or just talk about selling it. Sounds to me everyone wants a cut of the action but dosent know what the hell there doing. I wouldnt even waste my time its not like its some spectacular collection thats worth much money. Just list the stuff on Gunbroker and what it brings it brings. Your not out anything and you did a good deed for someone who is going through some hard times.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Time Served

The problem is there are to many hands in the cookie pot. One guy wants some guns, the other some money, there they are trying to think of the widow and how to get her a "fair" cut. You say you are wanting to "help" her out, if so do it for free, give a little damn bit. That is the problem with everything today, everyone wants a piece of something or wants thier cut.

How about just listing the guns on gunbroker and being done with it. Then when you sell the guns upcharge the purchaser with the gunbroker fee's and make them pay for the FFL transfer. You do a good deed with selling the guns and getting the widow the money, and you feel better for having helped a person in need. Of course you could be like almost everyone else in the world and just do the gunbroker thing and charge her a "fee" and get paid, after all, what concern is it of yours.

93 Black Mustang GT

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 01:01 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:

Sounds like you already have the answer then. 15% cut is fantastic. FFL involved and everyone is happy.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
The first, the original

I don't have her phone number yet. Talked to my friend last night and he had "lost" it and was going to get it for me. We'll see.

Those were just the guns I've seen. Supposed to be twice that amount she has.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
The first, the original

Finally got her number and made arrangements today to catalog the entire collection and figure out an offer we can both live with. She said at one time there were 75 of them and she sold of some of them before I met her. I'm looking for a good deer hunting rifle for sure. I know there are several pistols.

Anyone here shoot black powder? I know there is one among them. I suspect it is a late model replica of some sort though.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Factory Issue

I'd like the Winchester 1200, the Model 94, and maybe the blackpowder rifle. Holler at me, Frank.

Give me a dollar.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 02:46 AM
Time Served

If that Winchester 94 is a .45lc, I am interested as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement