Taurus .40 or .45 ? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Taurus .40 or .45 ?

Planning on buying my first handgun this weekend,just not sure which one is the better gun.I have decided on a Taurus Millenium,and can buy it in either a .40 or .45 for 299.00 from Academy.It will mainly stay in my service truck( I go to some pretty shady areas)so post up the pros and cons,and help me make my mind up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 08:59 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

If you have the option why not go .45? All things considered .45 ammo is only slightly more expensive than .40 and has considerably more knock down power.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
If you have the option why not go .45? All things considered .45 ammo is only slightly more expensive than .40 and has considerably more knock down power.
I asked the guy at the counter and he told me over and over to buy the .40,just curious as to why.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboskull
I asked the guy at the counter and he told me over and over to buy the .40,just curious as to why.
The Taurus could be a POS as a .45 and okay as a .40, I don't really know. As far as ammo size though I'd always go for a .45 over a .40. It'd depend on which model you are going for.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:23 AM
<Insert Title Here>

I love my .40...wouldn't the capacity in the mag be higher for a .40 than a .45?

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:14 PM
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restomod66
I love my .40...wouldn't the capacity in the mag be higher for a .40 than a .45?
cant speak for the Taurus, but I know it is for my HK USP. Also my .40 frame is smaller than the .45's so thats what sold me as well

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:20 PM
WRECKIN' BALL BITCHES!

Location: listening to the box of excuses why fourteen3s million dollar car wont run a number...
i have a taurus .45 as a concealed carry. i am very happy with all around performance and best of all size! thing is so easy to tuck away and it doesnt get uncomfortable...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket
cant speak for the Taurus, but I know it is for my HK USP. Also my .40 frame is smaller than the .45's so thats what sold me as well
Yep. I can't speak for Taurus, either, but a full-sized Glock in .40 S&W will hold 15 rounds while a full-sized Glock .45 will only hold 13. Also, one of the big reasons the .40 S&W is so popular is because it's as powerful as the .45 ACP but can fit into a 9mm-sized platform.

I'd go with the .40 if it were going to be my carry weapon, but .45 isn't a bad call, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Baller

I have a taurus .45, and love it. I've never had a problem with it...not even a jam that I can remember. And that's after several thousand rounds of cheap ammo.

I am no real fan of .40's because to me they just have less size and nearly the same recoil. Gaining another bullet or 2 isn't worth it to me if it's not as powerful. Thats like trading a $10 for the $5's.

Go with the gun that was made for a man. haha
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:11 PM
PAN

Another vote for the .40. I love my .45, but the .40 is easier to carry...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Planning on buying my first handgun this weekend,just not sure which one is the better gun.I have decided on a Taurus Millenium,and can buy it in either a .40 or .45 for 299.00 from Academy.It will mainly stay in my service truck( I go to some pretty shady areas)so post up the pros and cons,and help me make my mind up.
heres my opinion...a good friend of mine just bought the taurus stainless steel version .40 cal..and we went out and shot about two boxes of hollow points and talk about loud and very powerfull...the reason why the gun smith is trying to get you to purchase the .40 cal..is probably because it is standerd issue for most swat units.meaning it is a very convencing hand gun..plus you can use it to get your concealed hand gun permit.. if i was gonna puchase one it would be the .40 cal...but for now my 380 browning is doing the trick..

[IMG][/IMG]
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 06:09 PM
The token Asian guy

More things to consider:

As your first pistol, you need to learn to shoot it well. A box of .45 (50 rounds) at Wal-mart will run you around $15. A box of .40 will be around $12.50. How many trips to the gun range before shooting that gun becomes natural? How many rounds? That's up to you.

Shooting the .45 is more like a push back. The .40 is more like a snap back and up. You'll need to put more effort in learning the proper grip with the .40. The .45 is popular in competitive shooting circles because the recoil is a push not a snap. You get your gun back on target quicker. Also, .45 is economical to reload. Many people don't like the .40 round because it packs a punch when it shoots. Many complain of the harsh recoil. As a new shooter, this becomes an important issue as you learn how to grip it right.

Choosing the right gun is a long journey. There are so many variables and so many people that are loyal to their choices. You really need to shoot some guns first before making your decision. Go to Elk Castle on I-30 and Cherry Lane. See if the have the Taurus PT-140 and PT-145. The Range Officers there are pretty nice. Tell them you are looking to buy your first pistol and would like to try some out. Ask them for advice. The good thing about Elk Castle is you only pay one rental fee and you can shoot any gun they have as long as you shoot their ammo. Other ranges will charge you a fee per gun you touch.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 06:29 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
Go with the gun that was made for a man. haha
I agree, but I didn't see 10mm (or .45 Win Mag, just for Casper) as any of his options.

Quote:
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:00 PM
Time Served

I would not worry about the caliber of the weapon as much as the fit to your hand. One of the first rules of a pistolsmith is one hit is better than two misses. You need to handle the weapon system and make sure it fits your hands, how is the natural point of aim with the system? What is the loaded weight of the system? How do you plan to carry?

I have seen a few people in my time shot dead with very small calibers of weapons, so in some cases bigger is not always better.

Is there a place where you can rent the weapons and shoot them before you buy? I understand that money might be the reason you are looking at that weapon, but if you cannot shoot it then dont buy it.

If you want ballistics then do some research on the pro's and con's of both cartridges as there are many.

Eric

93 Black Mustang GT

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

I went to bed early and missed most of this great advice,I purchased the .45 early this morning.I have fired 20 rounds of target ammo,it took me most of those to get used to it, but the last 6 shots from around 40ft. or so were in a grouping of about 5.5-6 inches (not sure if that is decent or not ,but seems pretty accurate to me).The two things that really suprised me was #1 this thing is very loud,and #2 the suprising lack of recoil for such a big gun.Overall it appears to be well made for a cheaper gun,a considerable amount better than the High Point that I first looked at.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:55 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
The two things that really suprised me was #1 this thing is very loud,and #2 the suprising lack of recoil for such a big gun.
Number one - it's only loud compared to little things like a .22, 9mm, or .380.

Number two - if two different guns are firing the same round, the lighter gun will almost always have more recoil.

Quote:
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Time Served

i cant comment on the taurus performance, but the guy @ academy
says they can't keep em on the shelf

"its the car chicks dig the car"

-blk25th-
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 07:06 PM
The token Asian guy

Quote:
I went to bed early and missed most of this great advice,I purchased the .45 early this morning.I have fired 20 rounds of target ammo,it took me most of those to get used to it, but the last 6 shots from around 40ft. or so were in a grouping of about 5.5-6 inches (not sure if that is decent or not ,but seems pretty accurate to me).The two things that really suprised me was #1 this thing is very loud,and #2 the suprising lack of recoil for such a big gun.Overall it appears to be well made for a cheaper gun,a considerable amount better than the High Point that I first looked at.
You'll still need more than that when you come to my 'hood. Bring extra ammo.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Time Served

I would reccomend that you go to a local gun range.
Many of them have guns for rent. Like 35$ includes a box of ammo.
Try both 40. cal and 45. cal. That should help.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 04:48 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

As for me, I have a .45 and a .40 and I prefer the .40 over the .45 for comfort and controllability, but I prefer the .45 for the bang and knock down. I'm also a pretty big guy and I don't normally have a whole lot of difficulty holding a gun on target.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement