Irony? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Irony?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/7430668.stm
Guns campaigner stabbed to death

The grandson of prominent anti-gun campaigner Pat Regan has been arrested on suspicion of stabbing her to death.

Mrs Regan, 53, was discovered at the property on Marlborough Grange in the Hyde Park area of Leeds on Sunday.

The mother-of-six started campaigning against gun crime when her son Danny was shot dead in 2002.

The 20-year-old man was being held on suspicion of murder, police said. It is thought he had been arrested earlier in the day over another stabbing.

A 45-year-old railway worker was treated in hospital for a stab wound to his arm after challenging a man for trespassing at Leeds station on Sunday morning, British Transport Police said.

Mrs Regan set up a Leeds branch of Mothers Against Guns after her son Danny, 25, was shot at his home in Haydock, near St Helens, Merseyside in December 2002. His killer has not been found.

She had met government officials to discuss how to tackle the problems of guns and gang-related crime.

Dee Edwards, co-founder of campaign group Mothers Against Murder and Manslaughter, said Mrs Regan would visit schools and give talks about the dangers and consequences of getting involved in crime.

She said: "She made such a big difference to so many people's lives. This is an absolute tragedy for so many people."

Mrs Edwards said she had known Mrs Regan for about six years and described her as the "most incredible woman".

"It's just the most dreadful news for everyone. She's just an amazing woman," she added.

'No grudges'

Mrs Regan's friend Sylvester Johnson, 74, said: "She didn't want any young people to get caught up in the trouble that her son got caught up in.

"She was very brave and I don't know of anyone who would have a grudge against her."

In February, Mrs Regan was involved with the launch of a DVD warning about the dangers of gun and knife gang culture.

Speaking at the time, she said: "Things are reaching a critical point. Kids are dying before us, but we shouldn't have to bury our own children."

In the same month, Mrs Regan was at the then Prime Minister Tony Blair's side at a Downing Street summit on tackling problems relating to gang-related crime.

Her campaigning work was also praised by Princess Anne during a visit to the city earlier this year.

Labour minister Hilary Benn, who is the MP for Leeds Central and knew Pat Regan, said he was upset by the news of her death.

"I'm shocked, and greatly saddened to hear of Pat's death," he said.

"She made a huge impression on me and on many people that she met. She was determined to do all that she could so that other mothers didn't go through the experience that she went through when her son, Danny, was killed."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:27 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Well, yeah, that's ironic alright. Wouldn't she have had a better chance if she'd had a gun? No wai, guns are evil, and no good can come from them.

It sucks to lose somebody that was trying to do good, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Lifer

This must be from the Onion... we all know people without guns don't get attacked, they are safer, DUH!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Lifer

man that is fucked up
grandma's son dies - shot , perp never found
then her grandson stabs her to death.

Hate to say it but she got the wrong message - protect yourself!
Guns aren't evil, it's those stupid fucks that pull the trigger!
Sucks though sounds like she was also trying to help with gang violence , etc.
At least the lady put her feet to the pavement and did something against it. More than most would ....

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:49 AM
PAN

I'd be more likely to term that 'poetic justice'...

When I hear people talking about how 'guns kill people', I can't do anything but roll my eyes at their obvious ignorance. That statement, to me at least, ranks right up there with Jocelyn Elders and her comments on how we "...need safer bullets".

But, on the bright side, my tree hugger neighbor is now shooting skeet and looking for her first 'real' hangun. One at a time guys, one at a time...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 06:52 AM
Which one's the clutch?

I'm tired, so I might have interpreted that article (by article I mean what david ctrl-c'ed) wrong. From what I got she was capainging for "anti-gun CRIME. Crime being the key word. Hardly ironic.

Then again I just got off from a 14hour bust your ass work day and im exhausted. So, maybe I'm the ass hole.

1987 Nissan pick up-wrecked
1984 Ponitiac grand am-sold
1988 Buick lasabre-sold
1987 Nissan 300zx-sold intake/exhaust
2001 Yamaha r6-sold slip on
2004 Yamaha r1-sold full exhaust
1991 Nissan 240sx-torn down,almost built up.
1994 toyota celica-blown up. exhaust
2005 Honda accord-daily.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craizie
I'm tired, so I might have interpreted that article (by article I mean what david ctrl-c'ed) wrong. From what I got she was capainging for "anti-gun CRIME. Crime being the key word. Hardly ironic.

Then again I just got off from a 14hour bust your ass work day and im exhausted. So, maybe I'm the ass hole.
You just read it wrong:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
The grandson of prominent anti-gun campaigner Pat Regan

Mrs Regan set up a Leeds branch of Mothers Against Guns

She had met government officials to discuss how to tackle the problems of guns and gang-related crime. ***NOTE: It does not say the problems of gun-crime or gun-related crime; it says the problems of guns.***

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:20 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Look, if you take all the guns away, all crime will stop and criminals will not resort to another weapon like a knife, stick, or rock. Don't you people know that there was no crime before the invention of the gun? Dang.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW
Look, if you take all the guns away, all crime will stop and criminals will not resort to another weapon like a knife, stick, or rock. Don't you people know that there was no crime before the invention of the gun? Dang.
Yeah, I see the return of Broad Swords coming back into play for liquor store robberies too!

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:39 AM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97
Yeah, I see the return of Broad Swords coming back into play for liquor store robberies too!
I'm gonna bring back the long bow.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine
I'm gonna bring back the long bow.
Can you believe it's illegal to bowhunt in England? That's just wrong!

Give me a dollar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement