Can my employer... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Can my employer...

...tell me that I can not have a gun in the parking lot/parking garage. It is in the employee handbook, but the parking lot/garage is not only ours. We are on top of a 6 story building with other companies below us. Can I leave my gun in my car in the parking lot and in the parking garage?

Edit: It is not posted at the entrance of either.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com

Last edited by slow06; 05-14-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:07 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

keep your mouth shut about it at work and take extra precautions to keep from showing the weapon. If your boss/HR finds out, they CAN and probably will fire you. They may also try to have you arrested for criminal tresspass.

<---has a similar policy in the employee handbook

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:18 AM
yes, jluv

You may think it is your right to have your gun out there. But remember, it is also their right to fire you if you don't follow their rules.

I have a right to wear a T-shirt and jeans, but if I wear them to work I'll get fired. See how that works?

I doubt they have any right to search your car, so just keep it hidden.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Lifer

I say fire off a few rounds and call their bluff!

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I know they aren't going to search my car, I guess my problem is the law says "premises" does not include public or private parking lots or garages. Shouldn't this be a building management decision anyway?

I am also pissed off because this was added this month...

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06
...tell me that I can not have a gun in the parking lot/parking garage. It is in the employee handbook, but the parking lot/garage is not only ours. We are on top of a 6 story building with other companies below us. Can I leave my gun in my car in the parking lot and in the parking garage?

Edit: It is not posted at the entrance of either.
Because it's not posted in the entrance simply means you cannot be arrested for violating the law if you are lawfully carrying a concealed weapon (CHL). Doesn't mean they can't fire your ass though. Same goes for the garage.

Keep your mouth shut and don't worry about it. I wouldn't mention it to anyone at work because you piss off the wrong person guess who's going to rat you out when you piss them off? Exactly.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:44 AM
yes, jluv

Quote:
I know they aren't going to search my car, I guess my problem is the law says "premises" does not include public or private parking lots or garages. Shouldn't this be a building management decision anyway?

I am also pissed off because this was added this month...

Why would it be a building management decision? What does law have to do with it? An employer can impose their own rules. You have the choice to abide by them or not. If you don't, you aren't going to jail for breaking a law; they'll just fire you. I thought the jeans analogy summed it up. It's not illegal for me to wear jeans on a Wednesday, but since it's against my employer's rules, they could fire me for it. It's not really that complicated.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Why would it be a building management decision? What does law have to do with it? An employer can impose their own rules. You have the choice to abide by them or not. If you don't, you aren't going to jail for breaking a law; they'll just fire you. I thought the jeans analogy summed it up. It's not illegal for me to wear jeans on a Wednesday, but since it's against my employer's rules, they could fire me for it. It's not really that complicated.
I understood that And this exact topic was brought up in my CHL class and we've pretty much summarized it here. They will not arrest you but you can get fired.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Lifer

lol there is a lot of places that would have a problem with people carrying weapons if you told them you were.

BUT....

if they really cared ... they would post the correct signage. You see incorrect signage everywhere so I'd say it's safe to assume they don't want you there!

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
It would be a building Management decision to post the sign on the parking garage ect...

I guess I needed to be a little more clear - I wanted to know If I would be breaking any law by keeping it in my car against my company's will (ie. is them putting it in the Employee Handbook equal to them posting it...)

The jeans analogy makes perfect sense. Calm down...

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 09:47 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Why are you so worried? How in the hell are they going to know you have a firearm in your car? Keep your mouth shut and they will never know.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ
Why are you so worried? How in the hell are they going to know you have a firearm in your car? Keep your mouth shut and they will never know.
Not worried, just wondering...

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Meeeeooowww

Thumbs up

Florida just signed a law that lets people do this and not be punished by the company.

Just keep it hush hush.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:32 AM
CJ

Quote:
Not worried, just wondering...
meh, no sweat. Worst comes to worst and an argument erupts just start blazing.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
It would be a building Management decision to post the sign on the parking garage ect...

I guess I needed to be a little more clear - I wanted to know If I would be breaking any law by keeping it in my car against my company's will (ie. is them putting it in the Employee Handbook equal to them posting it...)

Breaking any law? No. Break a rule that may very well get you fired? Yes.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:43 AM
I'll miss you Heather :(

Quote:
x2

Why the hell are you running around telling people you have a weapon in your car?

I'm not saying you did, but you shouldn't. What they don't know won't hurt 'em.

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

You people and your assumptions. I am not going to run around the office telling people I have a gun in my car! Why the hell would I do that?

I just want to know all the possible consequences before I decide to do it. I am not in the least worried about the company policy. State Law > Company Rule

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
You people and your assumptions. I am not going to run around the office telling people I have a gun in my car! Why the hell would I do that?

I just want to know all the possible consequences before I decide to do it. I am not in the least worried about the company policy. State Law > Company Rule
Well in either case, the question(s) has been answered.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 11:00 AM
CJ

Quote:

YOU PEOPLE?!
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Factory Issue

It's also private property, and an at-will employment state.

Give me a dollar.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
Well in either case, the question(s) has been answered.
Yes. Thanks everyone for their input.

Quote:
YOU PEOPLE?!
Haha. You know me, forever racist

Truth be told, I haven't a clue what any of you even look like...

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 11:31 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
(ie. is them putting it in the Employee Handbook equal to them posting it...)
This is a grey area. For a CHL holder, the wording would need to match the requirements of PC 30.06. The question that remains is what did the handbook's acknowledgement form say? If it said something along the lines of "I certify that these policies were explained to me", then you may be screwed into a 30.06 violation.

But still, keep you mouth shut about it and keep it concealed in your car and you will be fine.

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Lifer

Quote:

You are not breaking the law by keeping it in your car concealed. You can carry a gun in your car according to the Penal Code if it is a) concealed b)you are not involved in committing a crime higher than a Class C and c) you are not a member of a criminal street gang.

CHL or not, you can still have a gun in your car if you meet the above criteria.

This does not cover any civil actions by your employer if they find out.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
I understood that And this exact topic was brought up in my CHL class and we've pretty much summarized it here. They will not arrest you but you can get fired.
Yep, Same bullshit rules at Halliburton, Bell Helicopter, and General Dynamics.
At GD we made BOMBS,

1/2 mile 9 turns 41.3 sec
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 12:12 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:

Calm down? lol

I'm calm. I also answered your question in my first reply.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart21
Yep, Same bullshit rules at Halliburton, Bell Helicopter, and General Dynamics.
At GD we made BOMBS,
Haha. That is funny.

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Haha. That is funny.

Actually, it's not funny at all. I've got a VERY good friend that works for General Dynamics and he is also a CHL holder and 3-gun competitor.

He can't even carry his gun to work, but there has already been someone that has gone on a gun rampage.

Legislating guns only takes them away from law-abiding citizens. I can't tell you how many guns I've taken off of people who were UCW, but I've never taken a gun from a CHL holder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement