Anyone own one of those GSG-5's? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.

Anyone own one of those GSG-5's?

I had an opportunity to pick one up and play with it at military gun supply. It's very... plastic, but even so it's an MP5 clone and I've heard they are fun as hell. Does anyone own one? I'd only be interested in getting one of the automatic variants seeing as I don't need a giant inconvienent .22 handgun. Anyone care to share some thoughts?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/GSG5.html

I wonder if you can bump fire a .22?

Last edited by CJ; 05-09-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Lifer

Ive shot one. It's a .22. Not much else to say. Personally, Id buy a 10/22 before I bought one of these things if I needed a big .22.

And good luck with the automatic part.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by David

And good luck with the automatic part.
why is that?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ
why is that?
Well they dont take registered sears, trigger packs, or anything else.

And unless you you've got a class 2 to legally build a post sample machine gun, even the manufacturers are having a hard time making them reliably run full auto.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Well they dont take registered sears, trigger packs, or anything else.

And unless you you've got a class 2 to legally build a post sample machine gun, even the manufacturers are having a hard time making them reliably run full auto.
oh yeah? I had seen them before they were released showing a full auto version available, I figured it was out there also. I haven't done much reading up on them really, just thought they were interesting, and I always see guys saying how much fun they are... 500 rounds for 12 bucks is pretty damn exciting after buying .308 @ $9 a box for 20 rounds.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Lifer

Any full auto variant of this gun, either made by the comapny or made by a federally licensed manufacture, will only be availible for purchase by law enforcement or dealers with LEO demo letters.

No machine gun made after May 1986 is avaible to the general public
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Any full auto variant of this gun, either made by the comapny or made by a federally licensed manufacture, will only be availible for purchase by law enforcement or dealers with LEO demo letters.

No machine gun made after May 1986 is avaible to the general public
oh god damnit you're right I completely forgot about the 86 bullshit, we had this discussion about G36's. Looks like lightened trigger and bump fire practice if you buy one, it'll have to be real light to bump fire a .22LR.

Last edited by CJ; 05-09-2008 at 08:45 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Meeeeooowww

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Lifer

Toy.

I agree 10/22 , twice as useful.
Also doesn't make you look like a poser who paid too much.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant
Toy.

I agree 10/22 , twice as useful.
Also doesn't make you look like a poser who paid too much.
a "poser who paid too much"

in what respect? I like having things that are unique. Ruger 10/22's are boring to me, who doesn't own one?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Ruger 10/22's are boring to me, who doesn't own one?
Me
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
a "poser who paid too much"

in what respect? I like having things that are unique. Ruger 10/22's are boring to me, who doesn't own one?
don't take me too seriously . I think anything 22 converted or .22 long to be a toy.
If you paid much of anything , it was probably a waste. Trying to convert it to auto/ and get the stamp is like shining a turd.

I still think youll just look like a poser with another military like weapon, that shoots like a bb gun.
But hey, whatever floats your boat. It'll definitely be different and people will want to check it out. I'm mainly trying to point out the performance is probably subpar even for a .22 . Hell I haven't shot many .22's that weren't POS except for the 10/22!
When it comes to .22's it better feed even the shittest rimfire ammo. After all thats about the only thing good about them IMO -cheap plinkers.
Sorry , it's just too gimicky to spend 500 bones on.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
don't take me too seriously . I think anything 22 converted or .22 long to be a toy.
If you paid much of anything , it was probably a waste. Trying to convert it to auto/ and get the stamp is like shining a turd.

I still think youll just look like a poser with another military like weapon, that shoots like a bb gun.
But hey, whatever floats your boat. It'll definitely be different and people will want to check it out. I'm mainly trying to point out the performance is probably subpar even for a .22 . Hell I haven't shot many .22's that weren't POS except for the 10/22!
When it comes to .22's it better feed even the shittest rimfire ammo. After all thats about the only thing good about them IMO -cheap plinkers.
it's the price of the ammo, something to plink between firing the big guns. Nothing wrong with having cheap ammo. I'd buy a 9mm if I could afford it, but I think spending that many bones just to get a huge ass inconvenient pistol is a waste of money.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Meeeeooowww

Quote:

You know how many deer have been killed with toys I mean .22lr? lol

Have you seen how much $$$ people dump into their 10/22's?

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 11:59 AM
tear'n asphalt in the 68'

I've got one and its a blast. Sure I've got tons of other "big stuff", but with the way ammo has been lately it sure doesn't hurt pulling the trigger on something that is quite a bit less expensive even if it does have less bang.

The gun itself is very reliable, I've only had one ftf in the last 1500 rnds. which is great considering I'm buying the cheap wally world federal bulk pack stuff. All this while rapid as well as single firing a magazine feed .22lr.

I will admit that the price is a little hefty, and I have no idea how you were able to get one at Millitary Gun Supply seeing that their waiting list is like 30 people long and there only getting in like 5 guns every 2 months or so (everyone wants one of these things). I actually got a call from them tuesday asking if I still wanted my pre-order. I went ahead and told them to give it to the next guy on the list because I was impatient and already bought one at a gun show.

Anyways... yes, it is a MP5 clone, and yes it does feel a lot like a toy, yes it's a .22; and yeah, if you want it to shoot acuratley you better go buy a cheap optic setup for it because it comes shooting about a foot high from the factory. But I can rapid fire at little bullshit and trargets all day long for almost nothing.

550-Rnds of .22lr = $11.50
20rnds of Wolf practice ammo .223 = $5.97
I'm not even going to get into .30cal variants and everythig else

Nuff' said

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDRed302
I've got one and its a blast. Sure I've got tons of other "big stuff", but with the way ammo has been lately it sure doesn't hurt pulling the trigger on something that is quite a bit less expensive even if it does have less bang.

The gun itself is very reliable, I've only had one ftf in the last 1500 rnds. which is great considering I'm buying the cheap wally world federal bulk pack stuff. All this while rapid as well as single firing a magazine feed .22lr.

I will admit that the price is a little hefty, and I have no idea how you were able to get one at Millitary Gun Supply seeing that their waiting list is like 30 people long and there only getting in like 5 guns every 2 months or so (everyone wants one of these things). I actually got a call from them tuesday asking if I still wanted my pre-order. I went ahead and told them to give it to the next guy on the list because I was impatient and already bought one at a gun show.

Anyways... yes, it is a MP5 clone, and yes it does feel a lot like a toy, yes it's a .22; and yeah, if you want it to shoot acuratley you better go buy a cheap optic setup for it because it comes shooting about a foot high from the factory. But I can rapid fire at little bullshit and trargets all day long for almost nothing.

550-Rnds of .22lr = $11.50
20rnds of Wolf practice ammo .223 = $5.97
I'm not even going to get into .30cal variants and everythig else

Nuff' said
Well no, I didn't say I bought one, I said I got one to look at, they had it sitting on their rack. Good to know though. I'll probably order online and have it sent to a local FFL.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 06:03 AM
tear'n asphalt in the 68'

Quote:
Well no, I didn't say I bought one, I said I got one to look at, they had it sitting on their rack. Good to know though. I'll probably order online and have it sent to a local FFL.
No doubt, looking around may be your best bet, that or just getting on a waiting list. They're great fun, but people are doing what they always do when something somes out that hard to get: buying up all the stock and marking them up. Most places that I've seen them like gun broker and a few shows, as well as various other websites have been stretching the price tag out to $600 or so. I picked mine up at a gun show for $500 (which isn't bad, I think M.G.S. want's $489 for them) but that was only after talking him down from the $550 that he was asking. I will tell you this; If you see mags, buy them, if you plan on owning this gun, buy the mags whenever you get the chance, those damn things are a pain in the ass to find.

If you go through with it and are looking for parts, mags, etc. pm me I've got a ton of links from when I built mine up and I don't mind sharing.

BTW the reason I think they shoot high is because there is no way to adjust the elevation on the rear drum sight, so you might as well buy a cheap rail and optic setup for it. Which are plentiful and cheap on the intermet.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Lifer

Hey as long as it works and shoots the shitty ammo like he says, it can't be that bad.
Still more than I'd pay on a .22, but like someone pointed out people do spend way to much on 10/22's even.
So far 10/22's are really the only good , reliable , and accurate 22LR ive shot.
but hey ....it's just for plinking, even a good .22 pistol can be fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement