Savage 10FP 20" .308 or Remington Sps Tactical .308 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Savage 10FP 20" .308 or Remington Sps Tactical .308

Savage is growing in respect by law enforcement and recreational shooters alike. Remington has a long standing as the standard in the law enforcement tactical rifles.

Savage has the easier to adjust accutrigger, while the remington comes with the half decent X-mark pro trigger.

Resale I would believe is always higher on the remington.

The remington comes with an aftermarket Hougue stock but with a bipod its not rigid and allows the stock to touch the barrel.

^^^ group shot by a US sniper at 100 yards and sand bags.(remington)

^^^ best group shot by same marksmen at 100 yards with sand bags. Savage but with the more expensive Mcmillian stock

So what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Time Served

Honestly its your choice. I know you have probably heard that before but thats the truth. With both you can change stocks or make it to how you want it. I myself have the remington .308 SPS. factory stock, factory trigger( for now at least) and its shoots damn good at 100yds. Thats where I have it set it right now. I have Leupold rings and base with a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42. Ill post some pics of my targets in the morning. Going to bed right now. Had to sight it back in, but it has also been sitting in the safe for about 6 months...so I kinda figured I might have to. my targets are also with sand bags.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 06:02 AM
reo
Lima Lima Mike Foxtrot

I'm stuck in the exact same spot right now as I decide what should I get. I'm still trying to decide if I should ge the SPS Tactical, or maybe go with the Varmint with the 26 inch barrel. I've also been really curious about that new VTR with the triangle barrel on it. It would be nice to make it where I can use whatever rifle I get for long range target shooting and maybe hunting. I know getting the Varmint with its 26in BBL would make it pretty tough to have to carry around, but then again I carried a M249 SAW during my last deployment, so maybe weight wont be a big factor for that. The VTR honestly looks like it could be used as a multi purpose rifle, just not sure if it will shoot as far or as good as the tactical. Also, from what I've read, there is some debate over whether or not that muzzle break is even worth a damn on it or not. Anyways, spent 3 hours last night reading about this stuff and am nowhere near determining what rifle I want. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

-Eric

Official Adrenaline Donor
1971 Chevy C-10 LWB - 350/350 with some fun parts.
1999 GMC 2500 LWB

"Why do they call this route the 'Widowmaker'?"
"I'm not sure, maybe route 'Oh God we're all going to die' was taken..."

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

http://www.snipercentral.com/rifles.htm

where all my info and targets came from.

apparently the sps-v stock really holds the gun back. When they switched to the police stock they cut groups down 30+%. However that was still almost double what he got out of the sps- tactical.

My issue at the moment is what these rifles will do with cheaper ammo. The reviewer said with cheaper ammo the sps-t was producing 3 inch groups which sounds scary to me becuase i know most of the time i will be running cheaper ammo through the rifle I get.

I had an sps-v in .223 and now have a savage 12fv in .22-250 and with the cheapest american ammo on the market both shoot exactly the same easily sub MOA.

The sps-T is much harder to come by but i did locate one so if i can find any words about the cheaper ammo issue I will probably pick it up.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 08:59 PM
butt raping a troll @ AMS

they are both excellent rifles. i dont know about the new remmington triggers, mine just has the older style trigger setup with a trigger job/lightening. heres what mine does.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

lined up an sps-t so that looks to be the chosen rifle
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 09:51 PM
iHustle

I have a Remington Pss in 300 win mag, and it will shoot one hole groups at 100 with handlands all day long (72.5gr of RL22 and a Berger 200gr Match bullet if I remember right). Can't beat a 700 or the aftermarket support. BUT, I have heard good things about the savage rifles with them being alittle cheaper. They just feel alittle cheaper when I have looked at them at gunshows.

Chris
93Z
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Factory Issue

Most of the beef with the savage action seems to be with the length of the bolt. Apparently, they are opined to be rougher than the first post-64 push feed winchesters. That being said, like the first post-64 winchesters, the guns in question don't actually know the difference. I like that the savages are available in a variety of different configurations and calibers, and they have a damn fine trigger, especially next to the old savage stuff. If I had to chose a budget tactical rifle out of the box, though, I'd probably pick the FN PBR and get its hogue stock a bedding job. I'm a sucker for claw-extractor Model 70 actions.

Give me a dollar.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Old Fart

Browning, Winchester, Remington, and Ruger all have new triggers.

Savage was the first with Accutrigger.

Remington X Mark Pro.

Ruger LC6

Browning Feather Trigger

Winchester MOA

I think the Remington is most accurate out of box. But I prefer the model 70 or m98 for big calibers.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Saved

I know Jose had a Savage Tactical in .308, and he misses it, I have a tactical in 25-06 that shoot under 1/2" groups.... One day on the range (Alpine) and 25 shots, 5 groups, nothing over .626" outside to outside. Buy whatever You want, I am glad I got my Savage....

"Conform to his image" Romans 8:29
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Stallion
I know Jose had a Savage Tactical in .308, and he misses it, I have a tactical in 25-06 that shoot under 1/2" groups.... One day on the range (Alpine) and 25 shots, 5 groups, nothing over .626" outside to outside. Buy whatever You want, I am glad I got my Savage....
True but it was my first bolt action rifle so I have nothing to compare it to. Thanks for rubbing salt on an old wound

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement