Gun help... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Gun help...

Girlfriend decided that she would like something in the house.
I've shot a couple of 9mm before, but do not have the experience to purchase a good gun. Would like someone to help us with a purchase, and teach us to use it safely. We also have a little one in the house(6 year old girl), so we will need tips on keeping it safe and out of her hands also, but readly available when/if needed.

Anyone able to help us out?

Thanks,
Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:34 AM
BANNED

you still have my number?

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro88LX
you still have my number?

No

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 AM
iHustle

What about my number?

Chris
93Z
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
What about my number?

No
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Rolling with the homies

I know you have my number

What's your budget for buying a gun?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
I know you have my number

What's your budget for buying a gun?

Ding Ding! Winner! Yes I do have your number

Unsure on budget. I don't want something thats going to be just "decent". I want it to be reliable, and ready to go if she or I should ever have to use it. I know there are some out there around the $200-$300 range that tend to jamb(9mm), and I do not want something like that. I want something that I know will perform when/if needed.

What am I looking at? $400? $500? Higher?
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by n737nc
Ding Ding! Winner! Yes I do have your number

Unsure on budget. I don't want something thats going to be just "decent". I want it to be reliable, and ready to go if she or I should ever have to use it. I know there are some out there around the $200-$300 range that tend to jamb(9mm), and I do not want something like that. I want something that I know will perform when/if needed.

What am I looking at? $400? $500? Higher?
Well I'd start by taking her to the gun store or range and have her "try" a few and see what fits her hand and go from there. I'd also suggest keeping the gun in a small safe on the night stand that requires a combination rather than a key, something that you can open up in the dark by "feeling" out the combination. And after getting the handgun (guess this is the mother's decision) show her kiddo the gun and explain to her what it is and how dangerous it can be. And then hit up the range!

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
Well I'd start by taking her to the gun store or range and have her "try" a few and see what fits her hand and go from there. I'd also suggest keeping the gun in a small safe on the night stand that requires a combination rather than a key, something that you can open up in the dark by "feeling" out the combination. And after getting the handgun (guess this is the mother's decision) show her kiddo the gun and explain to her what it is and how dangerous it can be. And then hit up the range!

Being a total newb to this gun thing, I was really looking for info on which guns are good, and which to stay away from. Not sure if we should just head out to the gun store, have her hold a few, and trust a salesman to point us in the right direction.

IMO, this isn't going to be something that needs to be comfortable. It's not like it's going to be in her or my hands daily. If I take her to the gun store, and have her try a few out, she will more than likely pick out something like a little 22 or something small like that.

I'd really like to find someone that can come with us and explain the pro's and con's of the different models that she likes. Someone I can trust to give me an honest opinion. Will a salesman be able to do this for me? Are gun salesman like car salesman? Just making a sale?

Nick
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Time Served

Basically in your price range there are 3 that come to mind that can be found at academy.

Glock 17, 19, 26 large medium and small size in order

Smith and Wesson M&P 9 full size or compact

Springfield Armory XD-9 full size or compact

there are plenty of others out there, but these are very popular. If you go and touch each of them and get a feel for them you might decide which you like the best.

They make nice bedside gun safes that work off a thumb print or quick code, which would be absolutely crucial with the little one in the house.

Make sure after you buy a gun both of you go and shoot it regularly people often don't realize how inaccurate you are with an auto pistol then throw in the adrenaline if something actually was happening so really make sure you know the pistol.

If you really feel like your going to need it, not just "stuff happens" i'd highly suggest a shotgun as they are alot more useful in home defense.

Just a few words, im sure 20 people will disagree with the pistol choices i told you but those are three of the most common and readily available at academy.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Meeeeooowww

I would say get a good midsize 9mm(ie Glock 19) and a Remington 870 HD 18".

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Being a total newb to this gun thing, I was really looking for info on which guns are good, and which to stay away from. Not sure if we should just head out to the gun store, have her hold a few, and trust a salesman to point us in the right direction.

IMO, this isn't going to be something that needs to be comfortable. It's not like it's going to be in her or my hands daily. If I take her to the gun store, and have her try a few out, she will more than likely pick out something like a little 22 or something small like that.

I'd really like to find someone that can come with us and explain the pro's and con's of the different models that she likes. Someone I can trust to give me an honest opinion. Will a salesman be able to do this for me? Are gun salesman like car salesman? Just making a sale?

Nick
Honestly, she should try out a few guns and see what fits her hands. I can't think of a salesman at a gun store trying to sway you towards a $1000 gun and you buying into that But if it's not comfortable she won't want to practice with it (and you want to have her go to the range a few times and fire it). I once dated this girl who I took out to the range. No problems firing my little 10/22 rifle but when she fired my Kimber .45 ACP she dropped the gun on the table and ran off LOL! I wanna say there were a couple of guys from the board there that day to.

Anyway, just off hand I'm guessing a Ruger might fit the bill. It's fairly inexpensive and for the most part I'd say reliable. Better yet, why not go with a revolver? The grips are small and they are dead reliable. Nothing wrong with a .38 Special +P

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN
and a Remington 870 HD 18".
We need to sell him on the handgun first before pushing the shotgun

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

.38 special revolver, dirt cheap and you've got 6 rounds.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Lifer

I have a Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm.

Fits the hand perfectly. It is a great gun that I have never had any failure to fire's or failure to eject's. At about 1,000 rounds with no problems at all. You can get one for around $450.

Shotgun would probably be better for home defense though.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Not sure if she'd go for a shotgun.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:59 AM
mannish boy

yup, get her a little revolver... perfect for a pistol that will sit loaded and unfired for long periods. very simple to operate. pull trigger & BANG! if no bang? pull trigger again!
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:59 AM
mannish boy

Quote:
it is the best home defense weapon hands down. you could get her a 20 gauge or use a 12ga w/ home defense loads.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 11:31 AM
Factory Issue

Aim Surplus had refurb Sig P220's (9mm) for $250. You just have it shipped to an FFL, and I think Chris (Pro88LX) has a friend that can you hook you up there. Use Winchester Rangers for defense ammo. That's just good business.

Give me a dollar.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 11:42 AM
The token Asian guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
it is the best home defense weapon hands down. you could get her a 20 gauge or use a 12ga w/ home defense loads.
That's highly debatable and best in a different thread.

post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead
That's highly debatable and best in a different thread.
I agree, both have there place in home defense depending on the situation. Example, answering the door late at night I'd have the pistol. Knowing someone is in the house and retreating to the bedroom I'd pick the shotgun. Best thing is to have both and use at your best judgement.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:16 PM
reo
Lima Lima Mike Foxtrot

I'd personally recommend you going to a gun range with lots of rentals and look around.

I don't know what kind of build your wife is, but my girl is scrawny, like 105 lbs. Anyways, she doesn't care for semi autos that much cuz of recoil, but can handle my Ruger GP100 5in with .38s in it. In fact, it is now my new home defense pistol since both of us can shoot it and .38 personal defense rounds are pretty mean.

There is alot to consider when buying a handgun, but what it really comes down to is what will work for you if something happens. So make sure you try out several different types. And like someone stated earlier, spend time practicing, it makes a world of difference.

Springfield, Glock, Sig, Kimber semis, and Ruger, Taurus, Smith and Wesson revolvers are my favorites. As far as calibers go I'd say anywhere between .380 and .40 is all you will need. If you go with a .380, PD rounds are a most IMO, but other than that, they are just fine.

Based off of your budget and needs, I'd say a Taurus or Ruger revolver in .357 so that you can swithch between the .38s and .357 magnums. They go for around $350-$400. Easy to use, reliable, and fun to shoot too.

Also, for a safe, get the finger print or key code. Don't have to worry about the little one finding keys on accident.

Official Adrenaline Donor
1971 Chevy C-10 LWB - 350/350 with some fun parts.
1999 GMC 2500 LWB

"Why do they call this route the 'Widowmaker'?"
"I'm not sure, maybe route 'Oh God we're all going to die' was taken..."
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:22 PM
Old Fart

Revolver is easier to learn than a semi-auto. S&W, Ruger, Rossi, Taurus all make decent guns.

If you are set on semi-auto, look at striker fired gun like Springfield, Glock, Sig Sauer DAK, Ruger, Highpoint, Kel-tec. These are easier to figure out than SA/DA, or Single Action.

A lot of the pistol ranges offer rentals.

A nice quick access safe can be had.
Safeguard is quick access for 100-150$, you run your fingers over it in sequence. Or even faster access with biometric security at 300-450$.

Teach your child gun safety.

CHL and hunting classes offer a lot of firearm safety education.

+1 on shotgun being the first pick.

"Don't taze me, bro."

Last edited by GT98SVO; 04-29-2008 at 12:28 PM.
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:26 PM
reo
Lima Lima Mike Foxtrot

Quote:
I agree, both have there place in home defense depending on the situation. Example, answering the door late at night I'd have the pistol. Knowing someone is in the house and retreating to the bedroom I'd pick the shotgun. Best thing is to have both and use at your best judgement.
^^^Most defintely.^^^

I kinda forgot to mention the benefit of a shotgun. I've never known of anyone sticking around after hearing a shotgun being pumped. Also, no need to worry about accuracy, point and shoot, good to go.

-Eric

Official Adrenaline Donor
1971 Chevy C-10 LWB - 350/350 with some fun parts.
1999 GMC 2500 LWB

"Why do they call this route the 'Widowmaker'?"
"I'm not sure, maybe route 'Oh God we're all going to die' was taken..."
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
yup, get her a little revolver... perfect for a pistol that will sit loaded and unfired for long periods. very simple to operate. pull trigger & BANG! if no bang? pull trigger again!
My 24/7 PRO does that too. Single action and switches to DA if the round doesn't fire. Not quite the same but a nifty little feature.

post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
The token Asian guy

Just a side note about going to the range to rent guns. Elk Castle on I-30/Cherry Lane on the west side of Fort Worth charges you one rental fee and you can shoot as many of their rental guns as you can handle. Most other ranges charge you a fee per gun you touch. It's the place to go if you want to sample several types of guns.

post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Lifer

If you have a kid in the house you should definitely take a look at getting one of these. Keeps the gun safe yet quickly accessible.

http://www.gunvault.com/

10 F-150 Raptor
06 Corvette Z51
01 GT

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Lifer

PM sent.

1989 coupe
2006 R6S

post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Saved

Quote:
I'll PM ya my number, I'm off until Sunday, gimme a call and I'll go shopping with Ya. I bought my fiance' a Baretta .380, she has tiny hands (ring size 4 1/2) and it fits her well, I can use it ok with my oversized meathooks (sz 13 1/2) too, but there are TONS of good reliable weapons out there and everybody has their favorites...... There are also TONS of crappy assed hunks of crap out there that I wouldn't give to my worst enemy....
I'll be free during the day most of the rest of this week, so feel free to gimme a buzz.

"Conform to his image" Romans 8:29
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayStangGT
If you have a kid in the house you should definitely take a look at getting one of these. Keeps the gun safe yet quickly accessible.

http://www.gunvault.com/
I got the double stack version of the gun vault and have room for my Glock on the top, Kimber on the bottom and several magazines for each. Very quick access to the guns even in the dark.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Time Served

my $.02 go to the range talk to the range officer if you don't like him split and either come back or try a different range

Winchester is a good range and if you go in and talk to either larry or david tell them the situation they will guide you toward what to start with

don't know the guys at other ranges cuz I go to winchester

I would sugest something in either 380 or 9mm bersa thunder 380 sems to be popular with the womenz sig p225 in 9mm is a good mid frame sze gun. only issue is supply of mags kinda hard but not imposible. in the price range you specified you can also pick up a glock or xd 9, smith sigmas are gettable for $350 and they have (till tomorow) a $50 rebate plus 2 free mag offer.

the price range you have puts the field fairly wide so I would try some at the shops or at the range don't be afraid to shop around either hold em and see how it feels. its a decent investment and if you take it to the range and don't like it your gonna loose alot when you go to trade/sell it.
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 11:52 PM
You never go full retard

Nick here's the thing about owning a gun, you'll want to keep in mind the reliable and more well known brands but you really shouldn't ask what's a good gun. Reason being is that cause something that might be a good fit for me could be a horrible fit for you. The ABSOLUTE BEST thing you can do is to go to a local gun range and plan on spending the day out there. You should base your purchase on your budget but mostly on what feels right, what you feel comfortable shooting. If it's not something you're worried about concealing and you aren't going to carry it then you might find that something with a bigger frame like a full size 1911 could be better for you. If it's for the wife then something like one of the compact or sub-compact Glocks might fit better. But don't base your decision off what we say, go to the range and shoot several different things.

If I was going to just purchase something that I was only going to keep for home defense and wasn't going to buy a shot gun then I'd get a bigger caliber like a 10mm or a .45. Hell if I was going to purchase a gun right now for home protection I'd stick with a compact frame 1911 model .45. Reason being is because I've shot those quite a bit and it's a gun that no matter how long it's been since the last time I shot I can always pick it up and shoot it like I never put it down. It's comfortable for me, I know the triggers are consistent on them and I just flat out shoot them well. But that's what fits me best... it could be totally different for you.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:14 AM
The token Asian guy

Myth: A small woman needs a small gun.

Fact: Small guns are lighter and generally have a more harsh recoil.

I'd stay away from any pocket pistol if she's new to shooting. It will hurt her hands and turn her away. Same goes for men. You can learn to shoot better with a range gun. Get a service sized pistol like a 4". Or even a 5". It will be much easier to shoot. Besides, size for concealment is not an issue for home defense or car carry.

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Iamwaxman!

Lots of good info guys! Thanks!

Next chance we get, we're gonna head up to the gun range and check out a few different models. I ran the shotgun idea by her last night, and she didn't say no. She thought that she would be a little uncomfortable with it, but didn't count it out.

Guess I will report back after the range, and let you know our findings.

Thanks again for all the help!
Nick
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Time Served

I think the bullet trap has the most guns offered to try out. Last I checked, they have roughly 80+ guns to try, (35 in the flavor of 9mm if thats what your set on) ranging from all makes and calibres from .22 all the way to .44mag and .45LC. Ask for Dave Hammers when you get there and he will help you out a lot
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:10 PM
one bad 408 coupe!

Quote:
just the sound of a racking shotgun would probably be enough to scare most anybody off...plus you got to be a pretty sorry shot to miss somebody at 10 feet
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Trailer Park Royalty

im in NRH, not to far from grapevine or your shop in haltom city and can go to the store and help guide you in the right direction if you want

03 cobra 450/443--2.93 upper, JLT CAI, o/r x, dumped flows, SRA w/3.73s
94 Z71-dd
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Lifer

We went to the Bullet Trap to rent when we were looking. We both liked the Ruger P95 and the Beretta PX4 better than the CZ we shot (75B, IIRC). We ended up going w/ the PX4. It's had several hundred rounds thru it in the past several months w/ Zero issues or FTE's.....It'll have a couple hundred more after this weekend at my fiance's family's land down by Cleburne

The PX4 comes w/ 3 interchangeable back pieces for different size hands and you can purchase different sized trigger release buttons for it, so it's pretty customizable out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
BTW, I hope you cut up her card(s) already. Giving a woman a credit card is like giving a monkey a loaded machine gun. It's just fucking irresponsible.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Meeeeooowww

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11secCobra
just the sound of a racking shotgun would probably be enough to scare most anybody off...plus you got to be a pretty sorry shot to miss somebody at 10 feet
lol....I always love hearing the gun store navy seal space shuttle door gunner guys say that.

Why not just click off the safety?

post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspfunk
We went to the Bullet Trap to rent when we were looking. We both liked the Ruger P95 and the Beretta PX4 better than the CZ we shot (75B, IIRC). We ended up going w/ the PX4. It's had several hundred rounds thru it in the past several months w/ Zero issues or FTE's.....It'll have a couple hundred more after this weekend at my fiance's family's land down by Cleburne

The PX4 comes w/ 3 interchangeable back pieces for different size hands and you can purchase different sized trigger release buttons for it, so it's pretty customizable out of the box.
x2 on the PX4 Storm. I highly recommend it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Musician for the deaf

Brand new for 2008 from a tough built manufacturer, charter arms:

http://www.charterfirearms.com/produ...ver_53830.html

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11secCobra
If three barking and snarling dogs who are nearly invisible in the dark are first on point, then you shouldn't be concerned about the scare factor of any metallic sound, right
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN
lol....I always love hearing the gun store navy seal space shuttle door gunner guys say that.

Why not just click off the safety?
Mall ninja training manual, section 445, discusses this at great length. You may have missed the new addendum that discusses sound enhancers available to magnify the wavelengths in sync with the racking motion, and why black fingerless gloves are ideal for performing this procedure.

That's okay, not everyone can be a mall ninja. Some are just wannabes who work at NTTA tollbooths
Sponsored Links
Advertisement