red dot sights - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.

red dot sights

I've just recently began to use these on some of my rifles, currently I have some cheap ass one that I got the fort worth gunshow just to see if I liked it. Anyone have some decent brands that are not ridiculously expensive that they would recommend? I've always preferred scopes over red dots, but I think I'm going to pick up some cheap AK to plink and thought it would be a fun thing to add.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Time Served

bushnell has a nice one, i had one on my AR for long time, then switched to a scope. it retailed for around 190.00
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Old Fart

Red dot or holographic?

Holographic like an EOTech, Bushnell, Burris, ACOG?

or a red dot like a regular scope with a red dot where the turret goes?

I think all scope manuf's make a red dot now.

At the range, I see a lot of the cheapy ones like NcStar, etc.

"Don't taze me, bro."

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT98SVO
Red dot or holographic?

Holographic like an EOTech, Bushnell, Burris, ACOG?

or a red dot like a regular scope with a red dot where the turret goes?

I think all scope manuf's make a red dot now.

At the range, I see a lot of the cheapy ones like NcStar, etc.
haha yeah thats what I got for the SKS, an NCstar, it was 20 bucks, and I wasn't about to spent 200 dollars on a 80 dollar gun. I felt if 20 bucks if it gets me even emotely accurate <100 yards I would be happy. so, what is the difference between holographic and red dot exactly?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Old Fart

AFAIK.

Red dot's have magnification. They are basically a traditional rifle scope with a red dot.

Holographs don't. You can get add on to magnify the EOTech. ACOG uses tritium, but not sure how that works. Most of these you can change the shape/size of the image projected: chevron, dot, circle etc.

When I shopped for my deer rifle's scope, I looked at both. But I couldn't get any info on them, so I went with a traditional rifle scope with BDC (bullet drop compensator). My 7mm mag loads have the same drop as a .22-250.

I think the red dot would give faster target acquisition, and the holographic even better. But 4x and less magnification ain't gonna get it done at 300-400 yards. I don't have 20yo eyes anymore.

With AR carbines, the short scopes with long eye relief are popular. With an HBAR or varmint AR, you see more tradional rifles scopes, albeit some are Tactical version with target turrets and fancier reticles.

I have 2 Burris scopes(1 rifle, 1 pistol) and think they are best bang for buck. Their glass is as good or better than 1k$+ scopes. Their controls leaves something to be desired in the lower priced models.

The Burris on my rifle replaced a Tasco 3-9x that was older than me. It had been adequate when hunting Caribou in Alaska at -35. But I wanted stronger magnification and better glass.

One rule of thumb I here from pros: Put as much into scope as the rifle. But I have only seen this in practice once. Friend has Howa 1500 7mm mag with a nice Leupold. About 500$ each. Don't see too many 1000$ scopes on shooter's Weatherby's or AR rifles.
I'm not putting a 450$ Leupold on my Ruger Blackhawk when a used 4x Burris works, or a Zeiss Diavari on my old rusted/busted Parker Hale.

You can get a lot of scope for 300-450$. But a nice rifle that you can hand down to your grandkids, that isn't a single shot NEF, is 800$+.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
AFAIK.

Red dot's have magnification. They are basically a traditional rifle scope with a red dot.

Holographs don't. You can get add on to magnify the EOTech. ACOG uses tritium, but not sure how that works. Most of these you can change the shape/size of the image projected: chevron, dot, circle etc.

When I shopped for my deer rifle's scope, I looked at both. But I couldn't get any info on them, so I went with a traditional rifle scope with BDC (bullet drop compensator). My 7mm mag loads have the same drop as a .22-250.

I think the red dot would give faster target acquisition, and the holographic even better. But 4x and less magnification ain't gonna get it done at 300-400 yards. I don't have 20yo eyes anymore.

With AR carbines, the short scopes with long eye relief are popular. With an HBAR or varmint AR, you see more tradional rifles scopes, albeit some are Tactical version with target turrets and fancier reticles.

I have 2 Burris scopes(1 rifle, 1 pistol) and think they are best bang for buck. Their glass is as good or better than 1k$+ scopes. Their controls leaves something to be desired in the lower priced models.

The Burris on my rifle replaced a Tasco 3-9x that was older than me. It had been adequate when hunting Caribou in Alaska at -35. But I wanted stronger magnification and better glass.

One rule of thumb I here from pros: Put as much into scope as the rifle. But I have only seen this in practice once. Friend has Howa 1500 7mm mag with a nice Leupold. About 500$ each. Don't see too many 1000$ scopes on shooter's Weatherby's or AR rifles.
I'm not putting a 450$ Leupold on my Ruger Blackhawk when a used 4x Burris works, or a Zeiss Diavari on my old rusted/busted Parker Hale.

You can get a lot of scope for 300-450$. But a nice rifle that you can hand down to your grandkids, that isn't a single shot NEF, is 800$+.
Good information there. My G3 has the german hensoldt scope which would be in the same price as the rifle, but outside of that I normally go for ~$100-$150 scopes on cheaper rifles. The SKS is not getting anymore more than $100 bucks, its a bargain bin rifle, I just wanted something fun for it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:16 AM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
AFAIK.

Red dot's have magnification.

The Aimpoint is zero mag.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
CJ

it may be the way they work. Most red dots are enclosed tubes, whereas holographic have a projection screen only.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
CJ

holy shit... acog scope price is below retail and it's $1,273!!

http://www.thegunsource.com/item/593...31DOC_Gun.aspx

Last edited by CJ; 04-25-2008 at 08:42 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ
holy shit... acog scope price is below retail and it's $1,273!!

http://www.thegunsource.com/item/593...31DOC_Gun.aspx

That is one bad ass scope right there.There was a video on here about a soldier saved when his acog stopped a bullet.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2stang
That is one bad ass scope right there.There was a video on here about a soldier saved when his acog stopped a bullet.
Yeah, I remember that thread. I know it's a bad mofo, but jesus christ.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Time Served

one difference with like the cheaper red dots vs like the eotech is if you move your head around or different shooters shoulder the weapon, the redots move. With an eotech the dot and crosshairs always remain on target not matter how you look at the sight big time advantage.

Maybe the nicer red dots don't do that but the one i picked up today did was like a simmmons i believe.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ
Yeah, I remember that thread. I know it's a bad mofo, but jesus christ.
Yeah they ain't cheap. I have an ACOG and an Eotech. Both are great sights. The Eotech is for CQB and the ACOG is for rabbit and hog hunting.

1989 coupe
2006 R6S

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Old Fart

Whoever makes the AR-15 goverment model, Bushmaster or RRA has the dual witness setup. I think it is an EOTech with BUIS. You look through them both simultaneously. Pretty slick.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Whoever makes the AR-15 goverment model, Bushmaster or RRA has the dual witness setup. I think it is an EOTech with BUIS. You look through them both simultaneously. Pretty slick.
That is the RRA model that I bought and the dual witness is awesome.

1989 coupe
2006 R6S

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Time Served

Tacpoint makes a nice lower priced red dot unit. It has the same size as the Aimpoint M3 but is about half the price. I have one on one of my AR's and it has been great for the past 4 years. It has been dropped and out in the rain and has not missed a beat, still on the first set of batteries. I have a co-witness setup with Troy iron sights. The sight is mounted in a LaRue mount and has been removed and reinstalled a bunch and has not lost zero.

93 Black Mustang GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement