chl question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
que?

chl question

what are the shooting qualifications you have to pass when you take the class/test?

i might be able to take the class at the end of the month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:40 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Get like 70%. It's easy. 20 shots at 3 yards (10 shots "slow fire," 10 shots "double tap" (5 2-shot bursts)), 20 shots at 7 yards, same thing; then 10 shots at 15 yards slow fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Out

Easy shit... fire off a few from a few feet away, then fire off a few more from a little longer, then finally fire off a few from just a little bit longer.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Lifer

Its a blow off qualification. I did it hung over and with a mixture of ammo and a gun Id never shot before.

If you can point a gun in the right direction, you'll pass.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
Get like 70%. It's easy. 20 shots at 3 yards (10 shots "slow fire," 10 shots "double tap" (5 2-shot bursts)), 20 shots at 7 yards, same thing; then 10 shots at 15 yards slow fire.
And if you can't keep it within the 8 ring (at the very least) please put the gun down.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
que?

thanks for all the responses guys.

btw, has anyone taken the class at the garland public shooting range?

that's where i go to shoot because it's cheap and outdoors(doesn't like indoor ranges for some reason). the guys there are really nice, i have yet to come across one of "those" older type guys that is a dick to everyone under the age of fifty
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Trailer Park Royalty

its easy. someone in my class shot my target twice and still passed

03 cobra 450/443--2.93 upper, JLT CAI, o/r x, dumped flows, SRA w/3.73s
94 Z71-dd
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:59 AM
taco dealer

is there sat classes??
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Trailer Park Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblue5.0
is there sat classes??
most places only do saturday classes

03 cobra 450/443--2.93 upper, JLT CAI, o/r x, dumped flows, SRA w/3.73s
94 Z71-dd
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by grove rat
thanks for all the responses guys.

btw, has anyone taken the class at the garland public shooting range?

that's where i go to shoot because it's cheap and outdoors(doesn't like indoor ranges for some reason). the guys there are really nice, i have yet to come across one of "those" older type guys that is a dick to everyone under the age of fifty
That's where I shot for mine.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
que?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash
most places only do saturday classes
some do evening hours, 3hrs on tuesday-wednesday-thursday
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
que?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
That's where I shot for mine.
cool, do you remember what the hours were? i know it's a 10hour class but not sure when it starts
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Out

Quote:
cool, do you remember what the hours were? i know it's a 10hour class but not sure when it starts
It was through a private indiviual who just used the Garland range.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
que?

oh ok
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Rolling with the homies

Mike, if you don't mind the drive I'd highly recommend these guys for getting your CHL class. They made the class a lot more interesting than my first go around and it was very informative. They also do Sunday classes (which is why I went with them) and take care of all the paperwork other than dropping it in the mail for you.

Academy For Firearms Training
702 Davis St
Grand Prairie, TX 75050
(972) 263-4867
http://www.chltraining.com

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
que?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
Mike, if you don't mind the drive I'd highly recommend these guys for getting your CHL class. They made the class a lot more interesting than my first go around and it was very informative. They also do Sunday classes (which is why I went with them) and take care of all the paperwork other than dropping it in the mail for you.

702 Davis St
Grand Prairie, TX 75050
(972) 263-4867
i'll check them out, thanks

i am trying to get the saturday off but if this place will do it on a sunday that would help out a lot
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
i'll check them out, thanks

i am trying to get the saturday off but if this place will do it on a sunday that would help out a lot
Back than I worked my OT ($$) on Saturdays so having a class on Sunday made it easier for me.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
que?

Quote:
Back than I worked my OT ($$) on Saturdays so having a class on Sunday made it easier for me.
i work a 12hr shift on saturday and it's hard trying to get it off. do you know if they do it once a month(sunday) or just randomly?
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
i work a 12hr shift on saturday and it's hard trying to get it off. do you know if they do it once a month(sunday) or just randomly?
Looks like once a month looking at the schedule on there website.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Time Served

Quote:

702 Davis St
Grand Prairie, TX 75050
(972) 263-4867
X2 on this place!! My original CHL and several renewals. Good group of folks. They told my class that no one has ever failed the shooting part of the test.....

2005 Mustang GT Convertible
2003 100th Anniversary Harley Davidson Road King Classic
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
If you can point a gun in the right direction, you'll pass.
Not true. A woman in my class didn't pass the shooting qualification using a .22 SA of some type. Her husband and the instructor stayed after to "try to help" her pass the shooting part of it.

God help anyone in or around her if she ever has to pull her weapon!!
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 04:45 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc50lx
Not true. A woman in my class didn't pass the shooting qualification using a .22 SA of some type. Her husband and the instructor stayed after to "try to help" her pass the shooting part of it.

God help anyone in or around her if she ever has to pull her weapon!!
It's supposed to be a .32 or larger anyways.

Quote:
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:

702 Davis St
Grand Prairie, TX 75050
(972) 263-4867

X2
they made ya think some and the time went by quickly, and didn't have to bring anything but me and some cash. Range is onsite. Wouldn't know it by lookin at it.

1/2 mile 9 turns 41.3 sec
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:06 PM
LUCIFER

Where can you find a list of CHL classes in your area?

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Musician for the deaf

I wondered the other day if there was anything that would prevent you from qualifying with single action wheelgun like a Colt SAA? I'm sure the instructor has enough discretionary input that they could make it damn near impossible, but technically speaking? I mean they have to allow for a double action wheelgun somehow. Does the revolver shooter have the same time limits or do they get extra consideration for reloading?

I'd like to be the person to do that with a single action 5 shot just to say I did

Hell, I forgot; this is dstangs, I can say I did anyhow
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 04:31 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I wondered the other day if there was anything that would prevent you from qualifying with single action wheelgun like a Colt SAA? I'm sure the instructor has enough discretionary input that they could make it damn near impossible, but technically speaking? I mean they have to allow for a double action wheelgun somehow. Does the revolver shooter have the same time limits or do they get extra consideration for reloading?

I'd like to be the person to do that with a single action 5 shot just to say I did

Hell, I forgot; this is dstangs, I can say I did anyhow
While it is technically possible, it may not be ideal to use a 5 shot revolver. The shooting test I took part in required loading up 6 rounds at one point.

Besides, qualify with a revolver, carry a revolver. Qualify with a semi-auto, carry a semi-auto or a revolver.

Don't attempt to qualify with a Colt SAA just to say you did. Hell, I'd let you use one of my Glocks just you wouldn't be stuck with a wheel gun.

But yeah, just say you did anyway on here...

post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:

702 Davis St
Grand Prairie, TX 75050
(972) 263-4867
Ditto! Paper work and pictures done on site, no need to bring a gun...worked out great.

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB
While it is technically possible, it may not be ideal to use a 5 shot revolver. The shooting test I took part in required loading up 6 rounds at one point.

Besides, qualify with a revolver, carry a revolver. Qualify with a semi-auto, carry a semi-auto or a revolver.

Don't attempt to qualify with a Colt SAA just to say you did. Hell, I'd let you use one of my Glocks just you wouldn't be stuck with a wheel gun.

But yeah, just say you did anyway on here...
I know about the restriction, which in the grand scheme of things seems silly but that's what it is. It was just a passing thought.

But yeah, when I got my CHL I used 410 shotshells in a derringer, and I was still able to outshoot some navy seals and a couple of ISPC competitors who just happened to be qualifying at the same time. There was also a supermaodel and she was giving me a BJ while I qualified, to the amazement of everyone there, because I don't usually lower my standards to chicks with smaller than triple FFFs. It wasn't two minutes afterwards that word had goten back to the governer and he personally expedited the whole thing, took me less than a weekend from the time I started looking into it until I had a card in my wallet. And they gave me a special card that allows me to carry openly in bars because I often have to break up biker gang fights and stuff. I really didn't need the license but chuck norris called and begged me to in a squeaky little girls voice so that his favorite range would get some publicity. I strung him along until he was just crying, then I felt sorry for him.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Musician for the deaf

shit, dp
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I know about the restriction, which in the grand scheme of things seems silly but that's what it is. It was just a passing thought.

But yeah, when I got my CHL I used 410 shotshells in a derringer, and I was still able to outshoot some navy seals and a couple of ISPC competitors who just happened to be qualifying at the same time. There was also a supermodel and she was giving me a BJ while I qualified, to the amazement of everyone there, because I don't usually lower my standards to chicks with smaller than triple FFFs. It wasn't two minutes afterwards that word had goten back to the governer and he personally expedited the whole thing, took me less than a weekend from the time I started looking into it until I had a card in my wallet. And they gave me a special card that allows me to carry openly in bars because I often have to break up biker gang fights and stuff. I really didn't need the license but chuck norris called and begged me to in a squeaky little girls voice so that his favorite range would get some publicity. I strung him along until he was just crying, then I felt sorry for him.
I call BS on the original but I fixed it
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco71
I call BS on the original but I fixed it
I put that in there just to see who would stand up and call me out. Yeah, that's the ticket.
post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:33 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
And if you can't keep it within the 8 ring (at the very least) please put the gun down.
haha.

I was gonna mention that. If you can't pass that shooting test I really don't want you anywhere near a gun! Stick to plastic forks.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:

But yeah, when I got my CHL I used 410 shotshells in a derringer, and I was still able to outshoot some navy seals and a couple of ISPC competitors who just happened to be qualifying at the same time. There was also a supermaodel and she was giving me a BJ while I qualified, to the amazement of everyone there, because I don't usually lower my standards to chicks with smaller than triple FFFs. It wasn't two minutes afterwards that word had goten back to the governer and he personally expedited the whole thing, took me less than a weekend from the time I started looking into it until I had a card in my wallet. And they gave me a special card that allows me to carry openly in bars because I often have to break up biker gang fights and stuff. I really didn't need the license but chuck norris called and begged me to in a squeaky little girls voice so that his favorite range would get some publicity. I strung him along until he was just crying, then I felt sorry for him.
Mah hero!

Quote:
post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Time Served

CHL class and shooting

Just take the Utah state class and you do not have to shoot at all. A friend of mine lives in Denton and gives this class. It is good in Texas and most other states. PM me for more info.

'96 GT, PI conversion ,lots of bolt ons, Mach 1 chrome rims, NOS, and still not enough power. Not only looks slow, it is slow.
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
Mah hero!
So you shoot actual 445s out of that DW yet? I'm curious what you think.
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 01:52 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
So you shoot actual 445s out of that DW yet? I'm curious what you think.
Fuck yes, dude! I bought 500 pieces of new Starline brass and 1,000 bulk Winchester 240 grain SJHPs, and a few pounds of H110. What I think is, "Booooom!" and "Ouch!" Niiiiice, big fireballs and blast, and plenty of recoil.

240 grains @ 1850 fps = 1,800 foot-pounds of energy

A few cylinders of that crap, and the back of my hand between my thumb and index finger is red and sore.

Quote:
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Lifer

I'm also thinking of getting my CHL in the near future.

This is where I'm taking the class. http://mychlcom.startlogic.com/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement