Gah! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
#4 Best QB Ever

Gah!

I walk into the reloading room, sit down at the bench, pull out the brand new Magtech .25 ACP brass, start laughing, grab my manuals, finally stop laughing, and start digging around for the right shell holder for the priming tool...and I don't have it. So I get to place another order to MidwayUSA before I can load this piece of shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Lifer

I buy already loaded ammo.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
#4 Best QB Ever

Where's the fun in that?

Quote:

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:36 AM
Good times

He gets to shoot his gun when he goes to the range?

n/a
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Musician for the deaf

Hell Tony can shoot off the front porch.

What number do you need? I can look and see if I have it.

Don't forget the holder for the priming tool.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
#4 Best QB Ever

I've got the holder for the press, but I don't have it for the priming tool (Lee hand primer). I went to Midway, and they're sold out of the one I need (#15), so I just ordered the Auto Prime 1 or 2, whichever is the press-mounted one (not the Ram Prime).

Quote:
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Musician for the deaf

Since you already ordered it you'll have it sooer than I could get it to you.

Did I give you some WW231? I think that might be a good powder to start with.

You should try some cases with a small rifle primer to see if the gun will fire them. If so, they will tolerate more pressure than small pistol.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
#4 Best QB Ever

No, I don't have any 231, but I've been meaning to pick some up for a while. It looks like a pretty good little powder for the lighter stuff.

I'm going to start with Unique - it shows the lowest pressure of all the powders they've got listed, and it's also got the broadest, bulkiest range of charges, from 1.2 grains to 1.6 grains, LOLz! and maybe Universal. Holy fuck, they list a load for a 50 grain FMJ bullet and 1.8 grains of 800-X @ 815 fps on Hodgdon's website! HP38 is also listed at 790 fps; the Unique and Universal loads are only listed at 750 fps.

Quote:
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Musician for the deaf

Good luck getting that much unique in there, LOL!

That HP38 is little balls kind of like accurate #9. That might fit pretty good. I guess we'll see.

Are you going to drill the bullets out into hollowpoints? You might get them down to 35gr if you try.

I wonder if they have a barrel lapping kit for a 25 auto? That would give you even more velocity.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Musician for the deaf

I forgot to tell you, I have a lee 1000 in a box in the garage.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Old Fart

Lot of back order status for Lee at MidwayUSA. I have been looking for months for about 20$ in Lee stuff. Too cheap(poor) to order directly.

Shelholder for 41 Mag is one of them.

If Midway is out, try these guys:
Graf and Sons
Natchez Shooter Supply
Cheaper than Dirt

Locally, Cabela's in Fort Worth or South West Ammo Supply in Mesquite may have your shellholder.

or go directly to Lee.

I like the RCBS stuff. But their shellholders are ~6.50 instead of Lee at ~3.50.

I think 25ACP is pretty unique for a shellholder. Whereas my .45ACP shellholder works with all .30-06, .308 Win based cartridges, and .22-250 etc.

Lots of issues with the Pro 1000. I have had one for 6 months and made about 1000 rounds, but very frustrating. I have gone to Lee hand prime and that has made things better. But still have issues with it rotating smoothly. I think much of the issues I am having is due to it being out of adjustment. But not sure how much to tighten down the various pieces like the shellplate. I am doing pretty good with the dies.

LoadMaster is supposed to be a lot better and has 5 stations instead of the Pro's 3.

Haven't heard of a progressive press yet that didn't have issues, this includes the high dollar Dillons and Hornady LnL AP.

"Don't taze me, bro."

Last edited by GT98SVO; 04-07-2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: local places
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Musician for the deaf

I deprime and clean my pockets before they go in the tumbler so I'll be using it for the operations past that. I'm looking forward to playing with it just for the sake of playing. This was free so I can't complain. But I've heard the horror stories too. Then again, I've seen idiots who couldn't get a single stage set up for proper depth if it was life and death.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I deprime and clean my pockets before they go in the tumbler so I'll be using it for the operations past that. I'm looking forward to playing with it just for the sake of playing. This was free so I can't complain. But I've heard the horror stories too. Then again, I've seen idiots who couldn't get a single stage set up for proper depth if it was life and death.
+1 on that.

Trim, where necessary, then prime and load them up on the case collator.

Use a powder that meters easy like W231 or Power Pistol. Red dot, Green Dot etc, don't measure as well. I use the Lee Auto Disk. Works great for me, even with the double disk.

Can't get too excited about the bullet feeder.

After running the pistol rounds through on the Pro 1000, I put them through the Lee FCD on my Lee breech lock.

The videos on Lee site, and Loadmaster site are very helpful. Also you tube. Lot of similiarities between LoadMaster and Pro 1000. I have cut primers in half on the pro 1000 and nothing happened. very safe. However, check for double charges with the W231, bad juju.

Reloading is a heck of a lot of fun.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Musician for the deaf

That is one thing I want to try, using their primer tool. That would save an operation.

I looked at that bullet dropper thing and someone told me it really doesn't work well when you get up to the 300+gr weights. The smallest I use is a 250gr in 45cal. Pretty soon that is all I'll be loading.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Old Fart

Well when placing the bullet on the case, that is excellent time to check for powder. If you automate that step, you aren't checking for powder.
There is a video for that as well. The guy used STP Oil treatment as lube and had good success. They have several different versions of the bullet loader for each caliber and wt.

Since the Pro 1000 has only 3 stations, you can re-size(decap), expand(drop powder/prime), and set bullet(crimp). If you had another station, you can use a powder check die. One version raises a pit(flag) so you can see there is powder in there. RCBS, Dillon and I think Hornady have them.

I do my dad's .22-250 on the Pro 1000 as well. Anything like a .308 and shorter you can run throught the Pro 1000. All the Plinker rounds, like .223 and 7.72x39, etc.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
#4 Best QB Ever

I did about 2,000 .40 S&W and 1,500 .45 ACP on my lone Pro 1000 over the span of a few weeks, decapping/resizing on a single stage, tumbling, and priming with the Lee hand primer because the priming system on the press kept flipping primers.

Quote:
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:02 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
I walk into the reloading room, sit down at the bench, pull out the brand new Magtech .25 ACP brass, start laughing, grab my manuals, finally stop laughing, and start digging around for the right shell holder for the priming tool...and I don't have it. So I get to place another order to MidwayUSA before I can load this piece of shit.
what press do you use? I'm about to upgrade to the Dillon Precision RL550B, thoughts?
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
#4 Best QB Ever

I'm poor. I've got the Pro 1000 and a Lee Challenger single stage. They do enough for me; I don't load or shoot that much.

Quote:
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT98SVO
Well when placing the bullet on the case, that is excellent time to check for powder. If you automate that step, you aren't checking for powder.
There is a video for that as well. The guy used STP Oil treatment as lube and had good success. They have several different versions of the bullet loader for each caliber and wt.

Since the Pro 1000 has only 3 stations, you can re-size(decap), expand(drop powder/prime), and set bullet(crimp). If you had another station, you can use a powder check die. One version raises a pit(flag) so you can see there is powder in there. RCBS, Dillon and I think Hornady have them.

I do my dad's .22-250 on the Pro 1000 as well. Anything like a .308 and shorter you can run throught the Pro 1000. All the Plinker rounds, like .223 and 7.72x39, etc.
Good Point. Most of my loads are full enough to see (straightwall), some are probably too full to even automate the charging station. I don't know how I am going to changing that operation up yet. I may not even use the thing in the end, I am just going to be playing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement