Cheapest rifle ammo (caliber)? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
gspfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Crossroads/Aubrey
Posts: 1,248
Cheapest rifle ammo (caliber)?

Excluding .22LR, what is an inexpensive caliber for plinking and shooting varmints? I'm looking for a rifle, but can't decide if I want a .22 or something w/ a little more grunt. I'm kind of partial to a bolt action, but not set on it.

What do you guys use and like that has affordable rounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
BTW, I hope you cut up her card(s) already. Giving a woman a credit card is like giving a monkey a loaded machine gun. It's just fucking irresponsible.
gspfunk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
I dont know what 7.62x54 is at anymore. But that use to be the cheapest large caliber you could stock up on.
David is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Got Lateral G's??
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Your mirror about to pass your ass!
Posts: 9,822
www.ableammo.com

generally up to date pricing for every major caliber...



Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
aggie97 is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Lifer
 
01YZ2NV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Shittin in the Kitchen
Posts: 1,249
7.62 x54 is around $70 give or take for 440 rds. I hear 5.45x39 is pretty cheap these days.
01YZ2NV is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Austin
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01YZ2NV
7.62 x54 is around $70 give or take for 440 rds. I hear 5.45x39 is pretty cheap these days.
Ya, I saw 5.45x39 for $129 for 1080 rds a day or two ago.
Scott H is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Austin
Posts: 431
Heh, unless you're feeding a Dragunov, 440 rds of 7.62x54 will last a long time!

(Call me a weenie, but after 20-40 rds through my 91/30, I switch to something lighter...)
Scott H is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:37 PM
Old Fart
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Forney, TX, USA
Posts: 1,359
.223 is pretty cheap to reload.

22 Hornet is even cheaper to reload, but less firearms to choose from.

"Don't taze me, bro."
GT98SVO is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:20 PM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
.22 WMR is pretty cheap


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Old Timer
 
Dacotua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Flower Mound
Posts: 4,027
You can buy the following:

Academy: (For the most part, academy is the cheapest on ammo if you consider the distance you live from the other stores).

223 for about 4.89 a box (Monarch FMJ)
7.62x39 for about 4.89 a box (Monarch FMJ)
.308 for about 8 a box (Monarch FMJ)

Cheaper than Dirt

223 for about 5.00 a box (Wolf FMJ)
7.62 for about 5.00 a box (Wolf FMJ)
3.08 for about 7.50 a box (Silver Bear FMJ)

Military Gun Supply

7.62 x 54R - about 4 dollars a box (Surplus Steel Core)
8mm Mauser - about 4 dollars a box (Surplus stuff)
---

I'm glad I stocked up on 7.62x39 when it was 2.00 a box, 223 when it was 2.00 a box, 308 when it was 4.50 a box, and 7.62x54R when it was 20 dollars for 440 rounds.

2006 Mustang GT
Dacotua is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Musician for the deaf
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Euless, TX
Posts: 9,656
30 Carbine. Priced like pistol ammo. It will cover pretty much anything in that role that a 223 will, you just get a heavier slug in exchange for loss of range. Depending on the terrain that might be a good tradeoff.

The only problem is, it is mostly reserved for M1 Carbines, which aren't real great for accuracy. I'd say they are worse than a mini-14, which is not great either.

Does it have to be a rifle? Or just a rifle-class round?
Casper is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Old Timer
 
Dacotua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Flower Mound
Posts: 4,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
30 Carbine. Priced like pistol ammo. It will cover pretty much anything in that role that a 223 will, you just get a heavier slug in exchange for loss of range. Depending on the terrain that might be a good tradeoff.

The only problem is, it is mostly reserved for M1 Carbines, which aren't real great for accuracy. I'd say they are worse than a mini-14, which is not great either.

Does it have to be a rifle? Or just a rifle-class round?
Only problem with the M1 Carbine is the RIFLE cost.. You basically have a choice between getting the M1 Carbine (used) or buying new Mini-14 these days. Hell some people want AR-15 money for a used M1 Carbine.

The 2008 580 series Mini-14 are pretty nice and accurate now. Ruger finally put a heavier barrel on those guns too. (Go check one out.). Its not pencil thick anymore.

2006 Mustang GT
Dacotua is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Musician for the deaf
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Euless, TX
Posts: 9,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua
Only problem with the M1 Carbine is the RIFLE cost.. You basically have a choice between getting the M1 Carbine (used) or buying new Mini-14 these days. Hell some people want AR-15 money for a used M1 Carbine.

The 2008 580 series Mini-14 are pretty nice and accurate now. Ruger finally put a heavier barrel on those guns too. (Go check one out.). Its not pencil thick anymore.
Yeah, I was amazed after that one post. I think I ought to sell mine.

I always did like the minis but they used to have that barrel walk issue just like any other banded carbine. Not as bad though.

I always thought that a mini-14 variant might fit into the military like the M1 Carbine did. There is way less crap there compared to an M4, ammo is the same, you could insure the mags interchanged and put a folding stock on it.
Casper is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Old Timer
 
Dacotua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Flower Mound
Posts: 4,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Yeah, I was amazed after that one post. I think I ought to sell mine.

I always did like the minis but they used to have that barrel walk issue just like any other banded carbine. Not as bad though.

I always thought that a mini-14 variant might fit into the military like the M1 Carbine did. There is way less crap there compared to an M4, ammo is the same, you could insure the mags interchanged and put a folding stock on it.
I personally like my Mini-14. It sure is MUCH easier to clean over my AR-15.

But I like the aftermarket better on my AR-15. The newer 580 series Mini-14 shoots at the same grouping as the AR-15's now. To me its a give or take on what you want to do.

Mags are a big issue with the Mini-14 that I've found. The best Aftermarket Mags I've found that work, are the ProMag METAL 20rders. You'll have to fit them to your rifle though. You'll have to insert them into the gun, look at the feed lips to the groves into your bolt. If they touch, you'll have to tweek the lips so they go into the middle of the grooves. BUT I do wish they would have made the Mini-14 take AR-15 mags.

I like the Garand Platform on rifles (Mini-14/30, M1A/M14, Garand, M1 Carbine, Ruger 10/22).

One of these days I'll find a M1 Carbine within the price range I'm willing to pay. (Its hard for me to pay a lot for one since it will become a Gun Safe Space Taker. It just will complete my collection of the Garand Platform rifles).

Besides the M1 Carbine is more like a 357 in a rifle platform anyway. I doubt I'd ever use it for hunting. But I still shake my head at how much people want for these guns expecially with CMP releasing 10k of these into circulation.

2006 Mustang GT
Dacotua is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Musician for the deaf
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Euless, TX
Posts: 9,656
I have two, one is an early with type 1 band, flip sight, early receiver. I think I gave $400 for it and I thought that was high but I wanted one right then for something specific.
Casper is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 531
5.45 is going to be the cheapest store bought defense type rifle cartridge. You could always reload .223 and get it cheaper, but it wont be much. The price of ammo is just crazy, someone is getting filthy rich.

Eric

93 Black Mustang GT

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
gspfunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Crossroads/Aubrey
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
30 Carbine. Priced like pistol ammo. It will cover pretty much anything in that role that a 223 will, you just get a heavier slug in exchange for loss of range. Depending on the terrain that might be a good tradeoff.

The only problem is, it is mostly reserved for M1 Carbines, which aren't real great for accuracy. I'd say they are worse than a mini-14, which is not great either.

Does it have to be a rifle? Or just a rifle-class round?
I'm really looking for a rifle. I still have some research to do, but .22LR is just way too cheap and I can get a good bolt-action rifle for under $300, it looks like.

Okay, so assuming .22LR or a small caliber, which bolt-action rifle will be the best bang for the buck (quality/price/upgradibility)? Ruger seems to be the front runner, but I've read CZ and a couple others make a good b-a rifle as well.

I've never heard of Savage, but they are everywhere. I have heard of Marlin, but know nothing about their quality, etc.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
BTW, I hope you cut up her card(s) already. Giving a woman a credit card is like giving a monkey a loaded machine gun. It's just fucking irresponsible.
gspfunk is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Musician for the deaf
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Euless, TX
Posts: 9,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspfunk
I'm really looking for a rifle. I still have some research to do, but .22LR is just way too cheap and I can get a good bolt-action rifle for under $300, it looks like.

Okay, so assuming .22LR or a small caliber, which bolt-action rifle will be the best bang for the buck (quality/price/upgradibility)? Ruger seems to be the front runner, but I've read CZ and a couple others make a good b-a rifle as well.

I've never heard of Savage, but they are everywhere. I have heard of Marlin, but know nothing about their quality, etc.

Any help is much appreciated!!
All of those are fine. I would stay away from 22WMR, that gets really $$$.

Have you considered a levergun in something like 44 mag?
Casper is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 03:06 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.
 
CJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 12,013
.308 is definitely not cheap.. monarch is pretty dirty shit, and academy has it up to 9.50 a box now.. It normally runs between 13-16 for any sort of decent round. 200 rounds (reloads) is about 90 bucks and that is as cheap as it gets. 200 round Lithuanian battle packs run about $120, and military gun supply has Australian 300 round ammo boxes for $160.
CJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome