So today the supreme court - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
PAN

So today the supreme court

decides whether or not DC's gun law should stand or die. At least the case is due to start.

Any guesses on it living beyond today?

In case you've been under a rock:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/11/20...uns/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Worship me

It is going to be interesting to see how the government tries to spin this shit to make their case.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Lifer

Quote:
The city reported 137 gun-related murders last year.
When they reverse the ban, which I'm pretty confident they will do, it will be interesting to see what happens to those numbers.

Does anybody know when that ban went into effect?

Edit: Article says "31 year old gun law", so i'm guessing 31 years ago.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Horsepower Extractor

Yall need to just go ahead and give me all your guns now.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Lifer

I think they'll say that outright bans of firearms are unconstitutional, but that some regulation is necessary. Thus, nothing gained nothing lost.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Time Served

x1

"I drank What!?" Socrates

1991 Miata (daily driver)
1991 SCCA Spec Miata #22
2000 F250 Turbo Diesel (Tow Mule)
2007 Saleen SC281 (Open Road Racer)
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Gun Nut- Got Lead?

It will only be ground breaking if they determine that gun ownership is a right for individuals or declare that it is not. Well regulated militia can and has been interpreted many ways.

Some say the militia is the armed forces/reserve/guard. Some say the founding fathers understood the militia was everyday folks who were willing to stand up.

Outlawing guns ensure that only outlaws have guns.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:11 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk
Outlawing guns ensure that only outlaws have guns.
x 2.

I guess that will make me an outlaw.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Old Timer

What the founding fathers have said on the 2nd ammendment

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

"Whereas civil-rulers, not having their duty to the people duly before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as military forces, which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by the article in their right to keep and bear their private arms."
-- Tench Coxe, in Remarks on the First Part of the Amendments to the Federal Constitution

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
-- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons entrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.
-- Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms ... "
-- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, at 86-87 (Pierce & Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
--James Madison, The Federalist Papers, No. 46

"To suppose arms in the hands of citizens, to be used at individual discretion, except in private self-defense, or by partial orders of towns, countries or districts of a state, is to demolish every constitution, and lay the laws prostrate, so that liberty can be enjoyed by no man; it is a dissolution of the government. The fundamental law of the militia is, that it be created, directed and commanded by the laws, and ever for the support of the laws."
--John Adams, A Defense of the Constitutions of the United States 475 (1787-1788)

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

"No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson, Proposal Virginia Constitution, 1 T. Jefferson Papers, 334,[C.J. Boyd, Ed., 1950]

"The right of the people to keep and bear ... arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country ..."
-- James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434, June 8, 1789

"What, Sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty .... Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins."
-- Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts, spoken during floor debate over the Second Amendment, I Annals of Congress at 750, August 17, 1789

" ... to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
-- George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 380

" ... but if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude, that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people, while there is a large body of citizens, little if at all inferior to them in discipline and use of arms, who stand ready to defend their rights ..."
-- Alexander Hamilton speaking of standing armies in Federalist 29

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
-- Patrick Henry, 3 J. Elliot, Debates in the Several State Conventions 45, 2d ed. Philadelphia, 1836

"The great object is, that every man be armed ... Every one who is able may have a gun."
-- Patrick Henry, Elliot, p.3:386

"O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if, to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people! Your arms, wherewith you could defend yourselves, are gone ..."
-- Patrick Henry, Elliot p. 3:50-53, in Virginia Ratifying Convention demanding a guarantee of the right to bear arms

"The people are not to be disarmed of their weapons. They are left in full possession of them."
-- Zacharia Johnson, delegate to Virginia Ratifying Convention, Elliot, 3:645-6

"The militia is the natural defense of a free country against sudden foreign invasions, domestic insurrections, and domestic usurpation of power by rulers. The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of the republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally ... enable the people to resist and triumph over them."
-- Joseph Story, Supreme Court Justice, Commentaries on the Constitution of the United States, p. 3:746-7, 1833

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress ... to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.... "
--Samuel Adams

2006 Mustang GT
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua
What the founding fathers have said on the 2nd ammendment

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

"Whereas civil-rulers, not having their duty to the people duly before them, may attempt to tyrannize, and as military forces, which must be occasionally raised to defend our country, might pervert their power to the injury of their fellow citizens, the people are confirmed by the article in their right to keep and bear their private arms."
-- Tench Coxe, in Remarks on the First Part of the Amendments to the Federal Constitution

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
-- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual State. In a single State, if the persons entrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.
-- Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms ... "
While these are all great points to show the intent of the 2nd amendment, as long as there are breaths in the lungs of liberals, they will argue that the intent is outdated and no longer necessary.

They say, "get rid of guns to save america"...I say get rid of Liberals to save America.

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Lifer

The "Pro Gun" atty stated that the govt has the right to ban machine guns.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by David

Court tv or some such? Any updates, has it started?
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466
Court tv or some such? Any updates, has it started?
Just ended. They're doing post arguments news conference right now.

Listening on CSPAN radio
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Lifer

Apparently, more guns=more crime.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Lifer

God damned, we're fuck.

Respondents attorneys are abput as fucking brainless as the fucking DC attys.

Respondents attys stated they were in favor of banning dangerous handguns, such as the plastic ones that get through metal detectors.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Time Served

Quote:
God damned, we're fuck.

Respondents attys stated they were in favor of banning dangerous handguns, such as the plastic ones that get through metal detectors.
aw man, they're gonna ban squirt guns

its still "we the people"right?

"So this is how democracy dies, with thunderous applause"

"a lesson lived is a lesson learned, everyday is a lesson."

obama is a man made disaster
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Lifer

post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Quote:
God damned, we're fuck.

LOLz, yeah, because the whole gun is plastic
And again, just because I like talking to a brick wall(liberals), criminals would never think to own a gun illegally and commit crimes with them, that would just be against the law...
Oh wait... They're criminals...

Fuck this dump, im moving to Switzerland.

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 12:52 AM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooterWS6
Fuck this dump, im moving to Switzerland.
Better get your money right.

Give me a dollar.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
God damned, we're fuck.

Do they fire plastic bullets too?

Buying dogs kills.
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 12:57 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS
Teflon-coated. Glock 7 FTMFW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 12:19 PM

Glock 7

That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me! You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on your airport X-ray machines, and it costs more than you make here in a month!
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS
It wouldn't surprise me if you could sneak a disassembled glock onto a plane. I traveled out of love field last week and made it through the metal detector with my car keys still in my pocket. 9 keys total on one of those two part fobs with a garage door opener, car alarm fob and home alarm fob... when I sat down to put my shoes on I realized they were still in my pocket and was flabbergasted it didn't go off!

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Factory Issue

Metal detectors depend on frequent calibration to be accurate. If they're phased incorrectly, they could be too sensetive and go off when anything goes past them, or not sensetive enough, and then not pick up enough. We metal detect and x-ray all our packages at the cheese plant, and if the detection machines are out of whack, we know it pretty quick, lol.

Give me a dollar.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97
It wouldn't surprise me if you could sneak a disassembled glock onto a plane. I traveled out of love field last week and made it through the metal detector with my car keys still in my pocket. 9 keys total on one of those two part fobs with a garage door opener, car alarm fob and home alarm fob... when I sat down to put my shoes on I realized they were still in my pocket and was flabbergasted it didn't go off!
You could probably sneak an assembled one on but if they catch it you'll have a hard time explaining.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Old Timer

You know it is depressing on what crap they won't let you take on a airplane. You can't take your bottle of water on board, but you can take a bag full of the following onto a plane:

(Three ingrediants to make black powder) in three separate bags.

Now have a canteen (Empty) and 1 match.

Explain to me how this should be legal and NOT A FREAKING BOTTLE OF WATER.

2006 Mustang GT

Last edited by Dacotua; 03-24-2008 at 12:52 PM.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Old Fart

And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.

Luke 22:36

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

When do they anticipate having an opinion on this?

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
When do they anticipate having an opinion on this?
June
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:00 AM
老师

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT98SVO
And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.

Luke 22:36
i was actually looking for that passage...
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
June
That sucks.. I'm going to have to read all of that again to remember the agruments.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:05 AM
老师

Quote:
That sucks.. I'm going to have to read all of that again to remember the agruments.
x2.
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Im actually surprised an opinion will be brought this early.

Personally, I dont think we'll see any change. Most of the justices are in favor of gun ownership, but also know we cant just get rid of all the current laws on the books and most seem to come off that some regulation is needed.
post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:21 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua
You know it is depressing on what crap they won't let you take on a airplane. You can't take your bottle of water on board, but you can take a bag full of the following onto a plane:

(Three ingrediants to make black powder) in three separate bags.

Now have a canteen (Empty) and 1 match.

Explain to me how this should be legal and NOT A FREAKING BOTTLE OF WATER.
Mix 20 ounces of Astrolite G (ammonium nitrate/hydrazine and is clear just like water) with aluminum powder and you'd easily take down a 757. When compared by weight it has more than double the explosive power of TNT. A whole lot more powerful than black powder and way easier to transport and produce.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Factory Issue

Or refill an aerosol with acetylene. That ignites when it makes up between 2 and 66 percent of an oxygenated atmosphere. FAB!

Give me a dollar.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:50 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeabeer
Or refill an aerosol with acetylene. That ignites when it makes up between 2 and 66 percent of an oxygenated atmosphere. FAB!
Nothing quite as fun as refilling your buddies deodorant with green spray paint.
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Mix 20 ounces of Astrolite G (ammonium nitrate/hydrazine and is clear just like water) with aluminum powder and you'd easily take down a 757. When compared by weight it has more than double the explosive power of TNT. A whole lot more powerful than black powder and way easier to transport and produce.
Its a liquid that you can't take on the plane, but you can take powder.

2006 Mustang GT
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Lifer

Quote:

good thing a gatlin gun isnt a machine gun until you hook up an electric motor

im just planning something for my ring mount

93 coupe 351/t56

In the words of President Teddy Roosevelt, " We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

ive never been good at keeping directions i believe schedules are one of lifes worst infections

WELCOME TO TENNESSEE THE PATRON STATE OF SHOOTIN STUFF
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyh0rse
good thing a gatlin gun isnt a machine gun until you hook up an electric motor

im just planning something for my ring mount
Technically, the rotor/receiver housing is the machine gun.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Lifer

then why is it leagal to build one? and technically isnt it semi auto

93 coupe 351/t56

In the words of President Teddy Roosevelt, " We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

ive never been good at keeping directions i believe schedules are one of lifes worst infections

WELCOME TO TENNESSEE THE PATRON STATE OF SHOOTIN STUFF
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddragger28
That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me! You know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on your airport X-ray machines, and it costs more than you make here in a month!
die hard 2 FTW. Our gun rights FTL. Man this really sucks,i hate to see where this country is going...

1957 Chevy Belair
1953 M38A1

post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:26 PM

http://www.bloggernews.net/114707

Ohr'ly

....the city government in D.C. isn’t going to wait around for the highest court of the land to decide if their actions are legal or not. City hall has directed the jackbooted police to fan out in an effort at mass confiscation before the SCOTUS even has a chance to issue a ruling.
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyh0rse
then why is it leagal to build one? and technically isnt it semi auto
It's legal to build an M134 if you have a Class 2 manufacturers license etc.

Privately you cant, hence why transferrables are $300k. The Computer and battery harness isnt the gun. It's the receiver/rotor housing like I said.

Unless, you're talking about a model 1865 gatling gun. But that obviously isnt battery powered.
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Factory Issue

Fuck D.c.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty2029

Ohr'ly

....the city government in D.C. isn’t going to wait around for the highest court of the land to decide if their actions are legal or not. City hall has directed the jackbooted police to fan out in an effort at mass confiscation before the SCOTUS even has a chance to issue a ruling.
We're talking about a city that twice elected a known crackhead to the office of mayor? I'm going to retain my means of overthrowing the government, thank you. The second amendment isn't about duck hunting.

Give me a dollar.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty2029

Ohr'ly

That's some top shelf bullshit right there...
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 08:10 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

You know that there are some dumb asses that will allow the cops to search their place.. I think that a lot of people are afraid that if they refuse that they are, in effect, admitting guilt. Hell, there are dumb asses on cops all the time that give permission for the police to search their cars, even when they know that there is contraband in it. I guess they think that the cops are just testing them and won't actually search.

I was watching a show the other day (dumbest criminals or something) and this Mexican dude lets the cop search his truck and he had 3 oz of cocaine in there, straight off a brick. Then, one of the passengers gives them consent to search his house and cops find another ounce. All three are going down for manufacturing and distribution.. What complete fucking morons.

I guess it's natural selection of sorts, getting those idiots off the street, but I still cringe every time I see someone consent to a search.

90 Bronco

post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Lifer

I never consent to any form of search.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement