Preferred 9mm ammo? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Preferred 9mm ammo?

I've done some research, and it looks like S&B, Winchester white box and CCI Blazer seem to be pretty good, cheaper, and fairly clean. For defense, Cor-bon JHP's or Gold Dot's look to be popular.

What 9mm ammo do you guys prefer for range shooting and defense? Also, what is the difference between the # of grains (Ex. 124gr vs. 147gr)?

I'm looking at price, FTF/FTE's, and cleanliness for range ammo. Price isn't as big of a concern on the defensive ammo, but I want to be able to afford to put some down range for practice as well.

EDIT: Sorry, wrote the same thing 2x...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
BTW, I hope you cut up her card(s) already. Giving a woman a credit card is like giving a monkey a loaded machine gun. It's just fucking irresponsible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Lifer

I use Winchester for range practice and Federal Hydra-Shok for defensive loads.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspfunk
I've done some research, and it looks like S&B, Winchester white box and CCI Blazer seem to be pretty good, cheaper, and fairly clean. For defense, Cor-bon JHP's or Gold Dot's look to be popular.

What 9mm ammo do you guys prefer for range shooting and defense? Also, what is the difference between the # of grains (Ex. 124gr vs. 147gr)?

I'm looking at price, FTF/FTE's, and cleanliness for range ammo. Price isn't as big of a concern on the defensive ammo, but I want to be able to afford to put some down range for practice as well.

EDIT: Sorry, wrote the same thing 2x...
I use Winchester White Box for the range and Hydrashocks for defense loads. Corbons are also good for a defense load. I used to love the Starfires as a defense load, but I don't think they are made anymore.

2006 Mustang GT

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Meeeeooowww

Read this link:

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=237

I prefer Winchester Rangers.

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:50 AM
The token Asian guy

For the range: CCI Blazer from Walmart or Academy. It's the cheapest American brand factory ammo out there. I've heard too many bad reports on Wolf ammo.

For defense: Winchester Ranger. They are around $22-25 for a box of 50 while the other name brand ones are that much for 20 rounds. All the lab tests show the results are pretty much the same. For every test showing Brand X is better, you'll find another test showing Brand Y is better.

Here's another 9mm test. http://frag.110mb.com/

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Rolling with the homies

If you are going to shoot CorBon's make sure your gun is rated for +P ammo (as far as I know that's all they sell).

WWB for range ammo and Hydra-Shok® for carry ammo.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Meeeeooowww

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead
For the range: CCI Blazer from Walmart or Academy. It's the cheapest American brand factory ammo out there. I've heard too many bad reports on Wolf ammo.

For defense: Winchester Ranger. They are around $22-25 for a box of 50 while the other name brand ones are that much for 20 rounds. All the lab tests show the results are pretty much the same. For every test showing Brand X is better, you'll find another test showing Brand Y is better.

Here's another 9mm test. http://frag.110mb.com/
There is a place in Tampa that has the Ranger 124gr +p on sale for $16 a box.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Lifer

WWB for the range. Hydrashock +P+ for carry.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Lifer

I use whatever goes bang.

But right now Im burning up whatever the Winchester 115gr. shit is.

Last edited by Good_Ole_Red; 01-02-2008 at 10:11 AM.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Arbeit Macht Frei

WWB for target(100rnds/$15) and Federal Hydrashock JHP(147) $22/50rnds

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 12:20 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
CCI Blazer
Just watch what you're loading...

There are two cracks running down the case also that didn't show up well.

Also, Blazer 9mm is the only ammo I've had a FTE with.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked71Bowtie
Just watch what you're loading...

Also, Blazer 9mm is the only ammo I've had a FTE with.
Are those the A1 casing or brass (looks like aluminum)? I've heard of some issues w/ the A1 bullets....

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
If you are going to shoot CorBon's make sure your gun is rated for +P ammo (as far as I know that's all they sell).
Anyone know if the Beretta PX4 Storm is rated to handle +P ammo? I can't find anything that says one way or the other....even on Beretta's PX4 site.

Quote:
BTW, I hope you cut up her card(s) already. Giving a woman a credit card is like giving a monkey a loaded machine gun. It's just fucking irresponsible.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 12:50 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Are those the A1 casing or brass (looks like aluminum)? I've heard of some issues w/ the A1 bullets....

Aluminum.

Between that and the stovepipes, I don't buy that stuff anymore.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Old Fart

Black Hills - JHP+P
Buffalo Bore - (Speer Gold Dot) -
Corbon - Power Ball
Double Tap - Gold Dot
Federal - Hydra-Shok
Fiocchi - (Hornady XTP)
Glaser - blue something
Hornady - TAP/XTP
Magtech - First Defense, Guardian Gold
Remington - Golden Saber
Speer - Gold Dot
Winchester - SXT Ranger
Not sure if CCI, Sellier & Bellot, Wolf etc. sell personal defense ammo. Hot market not to be in.
Typically, JHP+P or JHP+P+ in either 115gr or 124gr seems to be the personal defense ammo for 9mm.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Time Served

Ive never had a failure with Wolf or monarch (serbian) and evidently everybody on the internets says its the worse and will mess up your guns
Just put about 500Rds of serbian and wolf thru one of my guns with not the slightest hint of FTF or FTE

Ive had SEVERAL bad experences with CCI blaszer. I dont care if its usa made, its plain out crap. Serveral cases Ive seen fractured before firing, so I weighed out the rest and low and behold 2 of the 50 rds were overleaded to such extent that Im sure it would start to damage my weapons. My shooting buddies only run the CCI blaser ammo thats brass case

Champainge for my real friends, real pain for my chum friends
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk
Yep! and I found those other two grips and put them in the mail to you today!

MW

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks, man! Let me know if I owe you anything between that and the lane fee.... I'll meet you up there sometime and you can pick out something to rent .

I want a .45 now too. My fiance's gonna beat me.

Quote:
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Old Fart

Some complain the 9mm is too hard to load, and rounds are cheap to buy.

Reloading isn't that bad.

A basic setup for 9mm on a fast (progressive) machine is about 130$. About 55-80$ for premium bullets(500 ct), primers are 1000/20-22$, use used brass(free) and powder is ~$20 a pound. About 2.5 to 5 grains of powder. There are 7000 grains in 1lb of powder. A progessive machine turns out a round with every pull. About 5-10secs for each pull, if you are as slow and cautious as me.

Straight cases(i.e. most handgun ammo except .357SIG) are pretty easy.
If I had the dough, I would even reload the .357SIG.

I haven't had any issues with the CCI Blazer, Wolf, Sellier & Bellot, etc. cheap ammo.

Winchester White box is cheap and plentiful. See it all over like Wal-mart and Cabela's.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
Thanks, man! Let me know if I owe you anything between that and the lane fee.... I'll meet you up there sometime and you can pick out something to rent .

I want a .45 now too. My fiance's gonna beat me.
Got the range fees for both of us comp'd and I work for the USPS so mail is free too!

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 05:35 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchinfox
Ive had SEVERAL bad experences with CCI blaszer. I dont care if its usa made, its plain out crap. Serveral cases Ive seen fractured before firing, so I weighed out the rest and low and behold 2 of the 50 rds were overleaded to such extent that Im sure it would start to damage my weapons. My shooting buddies only run the CCI blaser ammo thats brass case

I think my sig has seen around 2000 rounds of cci blazer aluminum with out a single malfunction. now my buddy's beretta px4 compact had 5 falures with the same ammo out of 100 rounds fired.

as for CCI Blazer Brass, My kimbers have seen thousands of rounds of it. never had a problem with a single round.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 06:47 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

my old S&W Sigma would stovepipe with Blazers (alum), but my Glock eats it like it is candy. Never a FTE, FTF or anything. I guess some guns just don't like certain ammo.

I'll shoot whatever is cheaper...WWB, Blazer, Remington UMC (not always cheap)...

For defense, I use Speer Gold Dots in 147 Gr, thinking about switching to 124 gr +p...

For my .40, which I've just recently acquired, I'm using Remington UMC 180 gr 250 round box from Wal Mart ($65 I think)...for defense, Speer Gold Dot 180 gr...

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97
Got the range fees for both of us comp'd and I work for the USPS so mail is free too!
Nice work!!
-----------

Thanks for all the info, guys! My only other question has to do w/ the # of grains... Does a 147g round have more velocity than a 124g round? If not, why would you pick one over the other?

Quote:

Last edited by gspfunk; 01-03-2008 at 08:27 AM.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Nice work!!
-----------

Thanks for all the info, guys! My only other question has to do w/ the # of grains... Does a 147g round have more velocity than a 124g round? If not, why would you pick one over the other?
maybe this would be better answered with data supplied by manufacturers...I used only Speer Gold Dots as I figured it would be better to compare the same bullet design instead of say Gold Dots to Rangers...

Speer Gold Dot 147 gr

Speer Gold Dot 124 Gr

and for the sake of argument (since there seems to be quite a few people that like the +p ammo...

Speer Gold Dot 124 Gr +p

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Ole_Red
I use whatever goes bang.

But right now Im burning up whatever the Winchester 115gr. shit is.
I use whatever will fire in my gun when it comes to practice.

Years ago (I don't know about the new stuff) but autoloaders used to not like aluminum cased CCI Blazer stuff. Our range bought pallets of the stuff and ended up getting rid of it because of all the FTF/FTEs.

When it comes to defense rounds, Speer Gold Dot, Hydra Shoks, or Winchester Silvertips are all good rounds.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:35 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchinfox
so I weighed out the rest and low and behold 2 of the 50 rds were overleaded to such extent that Im sure it would start to damage my weapons.
Did you actually pull the bullets and weigh the powder charge, or just weigh the cartridge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB
maybe this would be better answered with data supplied by manufacturers...I used only Speer Gold Dots as I figured it would be better to compare the same bullet design instead of say Gold Dots to Rangers...

Speer Gold Dot 147 gr

Speer Gold Dot 124 Gr

and for the sake of argument (since there seems to be quite a few people that like the +p ammo...

Speer Gold Dot 124 Gr +p
Thanks! I figured the 147 gr would have more velocity than the 124 gr.... That's surprising...

Quote:
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:38 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

It's heavier, which means that it takes more powder/more pressure to get it to the same velocity as a lighter bullet (in the same cartridge).

Quote:
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Thanks! I figured the 147 gr would have more velocity than the 124 gr.... That's surprising...

Usually the lighter the projectile the higher the velocity. Try looking at the ballistics of a 230gn .45 round sometime. I think the +P rounds are lucky to hit high 9xx fps.

Edit:
I just checked Federal's website, and the 230 gn .45 Hydra-Shok personal defense round reaches 1060 fps muzzle velocity.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I'm retarded...I thought the "gr" was the grains, as in grains of powder. I fail at bullet knowledge

Quote:
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 11:44 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT
Edit:
I just checked Federal's website, and the 230 gn .45 Hydra-Shok personal defense round reaches 1060 fps muzzle velocity.
The 230 grain Hydra-Shok .45 ACP is 890 fps; the 165 grain is 1060 fps.
Quote:
I'm retarded...I thought the "gr" was the grains, as in grains of powder. I fail at bullet knowledge
It's a measurement of weight. 1 grain = 1/7000 pound
Bullet and powder weight are both measured in grains, but only bullet weight is really important to a shooter (there are so many different types of powder, and a heavier charge of one powder doesn't necessarily make the bullet faster than a lighter charge of another powder).

Quote:
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

OK, I gotcha.... What is different about the +P rounds, then? Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to waste $ on ammo just b/c it sounds cool

Quote:
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 08:42 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

+P rounds operate at a higher pressure, which translates to more velocity with a given weight.

Quote:
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

K, thanks. ...I'm done asking ?'s.

Quote:
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
The 230 grain Hydra-Shok .45 ACP is 890 fps; the 165 grain is 1060 fps. .
Check my posting time. I should have been asleep..
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 AM
iHustle

<--- Glock loaded with Corbon

Chris
93Z
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Lifer

just picked up a glock,now need to pick up some ammo
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I ended up going w/ the 147gr Federal HST's. I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet, but I might this weekend. I want to put a few rounds thru some fruit (pumpkins, melons, watermelon, etc) to see how they handle..... I'll post up if I get to shoot.

Quote:
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 08:48 AM
"Livin the good life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestyk
Smae here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement