WTF is with old jerks that work in gun stores? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Factory Issue
 
Yale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 12,295
WTF is with old jerks that work in gun stores?

I have had the worst customer service lately from the old men that work at the gun stores/counters I frequent. It's gotten to the point that If I see an old man at a gun counter, I won't even go up and ask them for anything. I will just come back later when someone younger is working. Pidgeon Road Sporting Goods down here has become the absolute worst about it, and they have absolutely no reason to shit on people like they do. The owner runs it with his wife and son, who's about 45, and taking on a bit of his old man's attitude btw, and in addition to the gun store, he owns 4 banks around here. What does he have to be so sour about? I think my bad blood with Murle has more to do with me going in with someone he didn't like, kind of like taking the wrong person to Bill's Records and Tapes. Also, I can't get waited on to save my life at Cabelas, so fuck Cabelas as well, even though they have a killer used gun rack. Should I stop buying ammo and accessories locally? Should I just limit my trips to gun stores for when I feel like waving several thousand dollars around over my head, grinning like an idiot, and declaring, "I'm gonna buy my first gun today, how much are they?"

Give me a dollar.
Yale is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 12:05 AM
FIRE!
 
F8LSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,028
Funny that you mention that, the pawn shop that I usually look around in has two old guys that run it. One is a complete cock bag bastard, the other is cool as can be.
F8LSVT is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 12:17 AM
Lifer
 
Billyb0b81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arlington
Posts: 1,050
I have been to Pidgeon Road once and have never been back. They were complete assholes to me and my friend. I used to live in Stephenville and would wait till I came to the metroplex and go to Cheaper Than Dirt or Academy.

Never wrap it up, never pull out. Just grind up the morning after pill in her scrambled eggs at sunrise, she'll appreciate that you made her breakfast.
Billyb0b81 is offline  
 
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Factory Issue
 
Yale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 12,295
Yeah, I went in with cash one time and said, "I'd like that Sig P230 .380 in the case." The owner said, "Nah... you want this Walther over here," then, "Scratch that, you need this USP compact over here."

No matter what I want, he's got a better plan. The rub is that they're really good gunsmiths, and don't charge very much at all. I think I had the deccelerator pad put on 2 long guns for $26 each. WAY worth it if I'm feeling lazy.

Give me a dollar.
Yale is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: waco, tx
Posts: 73
i have almost the oppisite here in waco....i went by a local gun shop here last night just to browse when i got off work. The owner of the store is an older biker guy he asked me if i needed help and made sure i was taken care but the guy he sent to help me probably in his 30's was a complete dick about everything. i looked at a bushmaster and the price seemed a little high which you would excpect at a local small shop .....but messing around in a joking voice i said "man u cant cut me a deal on this one" he replied with a no sir and reach to take the gun from me ......so i said well fuck this and left
90machone is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Num say'n? (tm)
 
JP135's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,702
It is pretty common. I don't know why either. And the crotchety old guys normally have two or three of their old nut-hugging buddies present so they can have an audience.

DFWMustangs.net
JP135 is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: waco, tx
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135
It is pretty common. I don't know why either. And the crotchety old guys normally have two or three of their old nut-hugging buddies present so they can have an audience.
hell ya there is an old ass man that sits in a chair right in the middle of the store at our local shop. i guess when he dies they'll just stuff him and leave him in the middle of the store
90machone is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Horsepower Extractor
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Welding in shorts and a t-shirt.
Posts: 4,738
When I get someone who gives me shit at the counter I ask them if they saw me come in here with my pants hanging below my ass and wearing pantyhose on my head. They usually just look at me funny.

Then I say then don't treat me like I did.

Now give me some damn customer service.
66Deuce is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 127
That was great

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP135
It is pretty common. I don't know why either. And the crotchety old guys normally have two or three of their old nut-hugging buddies present so they can have an audience.
Greaat
mudfish is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Adrift at Sea
Posts: 245
Anyone ever have the misfortune of walking in to the old Rays Sporting Goods
just south of downtown Dallas? Good Gawd! "We're goin' to lunch now!".

Capt. Quint is my hero

Mama Tried, Mama Tried

Last edited by MACH '69; 12-29-2007 at 02:20 PM.
MACH '69 is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: in front of my computer
Posts: 163
I would always deal with Allen or the old lady at Pidgeon Road. I worked at Bostocks and he is part owner. That old man is a dick
Whitey1039 is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Factory Issue
 
Yale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 12,295
Yeah, I've been going in there for years, and spent thousands of dollars, but every time I go in, they jerk me around. Allen used to be super cool, but now he acts like he doesn't have time for customers. I can't wait to move out of this crap-ass town.

Give me a dollar.
Yale is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 09:30 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by spintechstang
Funny that you mention that, the pawn shop that I usually look around in has two old guys that run it. One is a complete cock bag bastard, the other is cool as can be.
At the one I usually go to (Aarons on Camp Bowie West) they have tons of guns but if there are more than 5 people in the store and you aren't Mexican then forget about getting any help. It's worse than going into an Asian market! Atleast there I can whip out my home made health inspector badge and watch them all run and hide.

It's rough being white in America today. Good thing I get paid more, can join country clubs and still get a loan.
BP is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:47 PM
butt raping a troll @ AMS
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denton
Posts: 513
i went to bass pro the other day and wanted to look at a pretty high dollar .22 target rifle. the old fucks wouldnt give me the time of day. probably because i wasnt in my 50s and wearing a polo. oh well.

turbo93gt is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Central TX
Posts: 589
If you ever head a little farther west stop in at DRT in Comanche. They dont have a big selection yet but have a great indoor range and will bend over backwards to help you.
AXE168 is offline  
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:04 AM
FIRE!
 
F8LSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
At the one I usually go to (Aarons on Camp Bowie West) they have tons of guns but if there are more than 5 people in the store and you aren't Mexican then forget about getting any help. It's worse than going into an Asian market! Atleast there I can whip out my home made health inspector badge and watch them all run and hide.

It's rough being white in America today. Good thing I get paid more, can join country clubs and still get a loan.


Ha ha, yeah I live in OK and it's the only one around my area that has a decent selection. I avoid the one old guy at all costs, if a minority walked in I wouldn't put it past the one guy to run them out.
F8LSVT is offline  
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:32 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 990
Even on my bday the old woman at gibsons was a f'n stickler


Champainge for my real friends, real pain for my chum friends
launchinfox is offline  
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: mesquite
Posts: 79
gun shops

I like to go to Ammo Depot out in Caddo Mills off of 30. The owner is really nice to anybody that walks in. One day he stayed open an hour late because he closes the sometime i close. I was a paying customer and he wanted my business.
parkinlotpimpin is offline  
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Factory Issue
 
Yale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 12,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by spintechstang
Ha ha, yeah I live in OK and it's the only one around my area that has a decent selection. I avoid the one old guy at all costs, if a minority walked in I wouldn't put it past the one guy to run them out.
Damn, I hope you aren't in Lawton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkinlotpimpin
I like to go to Ammo Depot out in Caddo Mills off of 30. The owner is really nice to anybody that walks in. One day he stayed open an hour late because he closes the sometime i close. I was a paying customer and he wanted my business.
I will keep that in mind for sure.

Give me a dollar.
Yale is offline  
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 01:07 AM
FIRE!
 
F8LSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeabeer
Damn, I hope you aren't in Lawton.
Negative, Im a few miles north of Denison.
F8LSVT is offline  
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 AM
Old Fart
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Forney, TX, USA
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkinlotpimpin
I like to go to Ammo Depot out in Caddo Mills off of 30. The owner is really nice to anybody that walks in. One day he stayed open an hour late because he closes the sometime i close. I was a paying customer and he wanted my business.
Went out there and met Mickey and Colt. They were really nice. My dad was looking for a 22 short rifle and they helped him out quite a bit.

They have a lot of the military surplus there: SKS, Mosin-Nagant, etc. We saw a .30-40 Krag. The Yugo SKS is $225. I think my dad paid 100$ for a Norinco a few years ago.

"Don't taze me, bro."
GT98SVO is offline  
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,249
Short Dicks, nothing more.
FSON is offline  
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Bullet Sponge
 
forever_frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Cooper, Tx
Posts: 3,142
I love going to Ammo Depot. I've dropped a lot of cash in there but I only deal with Mickey. He's a great guy who believes in customer service.
forever_frost is offline  
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:36 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeabeer
I have had the worst customer service lately from the old men that work at the gun stores/counters I frequent. It's gotten to the point that If I see an old man at a gun counter, I won't even go up and ask them for anything. I will just come back later when someone younger is working. Pidgeon Road Sporting Goods down here has become the absolute worst about it, and they have absolutely no reason to shit on people like they do. The owner runs it with his wife and son, who's about 45, and taking on a bit of his old man's attitude btw, and in addition to the gun store, he owns 4 banks around here. What does he have to be so sour about? I think my bad blood with Murle has more to do with me going in with someone he didn't like, kind of like taking the wrong person to Bill's Records and Tapes. Also, I can't get waited on to save my life at Cabelas, so fuck Cabelas as well, even though they have a killer used gun rack. Should I stop buying ammo and accessories locally? Should I just limit my trips to gun stores for when I feel like waving several thousand dollars around over my head, grinning like an idiot, and declaring, "I'm gonna buy my first gun today, how much are they?"

I was thinking of Pigeon Rd. before I even realized you were in Stephenville. Lived down there for 4 yrs.. That old SOB can be the biggest asshole or he can be your best friend. Funny thing, like you said, you can walk in there ready to buy and he could give less of a shit. I don't know how old you are, but i've heard him use the term young punks, referring to anyone under 40. His wife and Allen used to be decent. I just took my business to Star Arms, and payed alot more for customer service.
blue88lx is offline  
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Lifer
 
GrayStangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 1,960
It seems like alot of the small gun store have cranky old men working behind the counter. There is a gun store back home called Between the Walls, but most refer to it as Between the Cheeks, cause they are a bunch of asshole.

10 F-150 Raptor
06 Corvette Z51
01 GT


One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America
GrayStangGT is offline  
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Lifer
 
jims93lx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: GP, TX
Posts: 1,867
The Pigeon Road people are jerks. I went in there with a buddy of mine a couple of years ago, and he was ready to by a .22. They pretty much blew us off. We'd been dove hunting all morning and we were still wearning camo shirts and they looked at us like we were nuts.

Speaking of Stephenville, you guys eat at Fiddle Creek yet?
jims93lx is offline  
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Factory Issue
 
Yale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 12,295
I don't particularly like that place, but I think I just had a bad experience. I really do like the Bull Nettle, though.

Give me a dollar.
Yale is offline  
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 10:30 AM
que?
 
grove rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,662
yea most old guys i have dealt with are assholes...but some are cool
grove rat is offline  
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 12:34 PM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
I went to the pawn shop with my brother (18 years old) because he was looking for a shotgun. He asked if "we" (for whatever reason) could put it on layaway, and the old guy almost had a heart attack. "WE," he says, "can't do anything, but YOU can. That's a good way to wind up in the federal penitentiary." Jackass.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome