Multi-state trip with handgun - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

Multi-state trip with handgun

I *think* I just found that AZ, and NM are both ok to carry inside the vehicle (truck, no trunk to stash it in) but i'm wondering if i'll get any hassle for carrying while i move everything back home? what's considered accessable and 'loaded'? Can i keep a loaded mag in it without a round chambered, or what?

anyone have experience in either of those states?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 05:29 AM
Lifer

I "think" those states recognize our handgun laws, but you can call the DPS departments of those states and verify. Arizona's handgun laws are very lax compared to most states.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 05:39 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

AZ and NM reciprocate Texas CHL laws.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Factory Issue

If you don't have a CHL, just roll unloaded.

Give me a dollar.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthreeohz
I *think* I just found that AZ, and NM are both ok to carry inside the vehicle (truck, no trunk to stash it in) but i'm wondering if i'll get any hassle for carrying while i move everything back home? what's considered accessable and 'loaded'? Can i keep a loaded mag in it without a round chambered, or what?

anyone have experience in either of those states?

TIA
I have a CHL and travel through and about those sates.

For car carry see the following:

AZ:
A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:

1. Carrying a deadly weapon without a permit pursuant to section 133112
except a pocket knife
concealed on his person; or

F. Subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a
belt holster which holster is wholly or partially visible, or carried in a scabbard or case designed
for carrying weapons which scabbard or case is wholly or partially visible or carried in luggage.
Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section shall not apply to a weapon or weapons carried in a
case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or within
a storage compartment, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation.

NM:

New Mexico has an extended domain law. Vehicles are considered an extension of your home,
anything you can do in your home, you can do in a vehicle in New Mexico.

From the Department of Public Safety FAQ.
Q. I will be traveling through New Mexico in a private automobile, are there any laws that
address the issue of having a gun in my automobile?
A. New Mexico law allows a person to have a concealed loaded firearm in his/her vehicle
(including motorcycles and bicycles). If you are not licensed to carry concealed in this State, you
may not have the weapon concealed on your person when you exit your vehicle or motorcycle.

Wayne in FW
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 06:46 AM
Lifer

in az firearms have to be visible you could wear a belt gun if you wanted to

93 coupe 351/t56

In the words of President Teddy Roosevelt, " We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

ive never been good at keeping directions i believe schedules are one of lifes worst infections

WELCOME TO TENNESSEE THE PATRON STATE OF SHOOTIN STUFF
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 07:02 AM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyh0rse
in az firearms have to be visible you could wear a belt gun if you wanted to
Not wholly visible, but majority visible.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Lifer

To be safe, I would carry it unloaded, in a case (or similar), and in the trunk (or very back of an SUV) to prevent any issues. I may not be in the know on this, but it seems like you'd get less hassle if you made it obvious that you had no intent to use it and it was difficult to access.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspfunk
To be safe, I would carry it unloaded, in a case (or similar), and in the trunk (or very back of an SUV) to prevent any issues. I may not be in the know on this, but it seems like you'd get less hassle if you made it obvious that you had no intent to use it and it was difficult to access.
Yeah great idea. that way if anyone tries to steal my shit.. i'll just dig thru my boxes and unpack everything while they wait.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Yeah great idea. that way if anyone tries to steal my shit.. i'll just dig thru my boxes and unpack everything while they wait.
I dont know about you but if someone points a gun in my direction I'm not going to wait around to find out if it's loaded or not.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Are you that worried about getting jacked on the road? Granted, shit can happen any place at any time... I've done road trips, back and forth to college, whatever else you can think of and never had any issues. Be aware of your surroundings and don't stop at shady places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
BTW, I hope you cut up her card(s) already. Giving a woman a credit card is like giving a monkey a loaded machine gun. It's just fucking irresponsible.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspfunk
Are you that worried about getting jacked on the road? Granted, shit can happen any place at any time... I've done road trips, back and forth to college, whatever else you can think of and never had any issues. Be aware of your surroundings and don't stop at shady places.
Moreso i'm traveling alone ~1200 miles with everything I own (4 motorcycles, big toolbox, bed clothing tv's..everything) in my truck and trailer. I'm going to push thru probably about 100 miles past Albquerque before i stop for the night.. and some of those areas aren't the nicest..and are targets for theives since its so close to the interstate.

Moreso if i decide to drive thru, i'll be stopping for gas at some shady places at odd hours, and i'd feel much more safe if I have my protection on me. I bought it for that purpose, and it can't serve it's duties packed away in my shit...ya know?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Moreso i'm traveling alone ~1200 miles with everything I own (4 motorcycles, big toolbox, bed clothing tv's..everything) in my truck and trailer. I'm going to push thru probably about 100 miles past Albquerque before i stop for the night.. and some of those areas aren't the nicest..and are targets for theives since its so close to the interstate.

Moreso if i decide to drive thru, i'll be stopping for gas at some shady places at odd hours, and i'd feel much more safe if I have my protection on me. I bought it for that purpose, and it can't serve it's duties packed away in my shit...ya know?
I'm w/ ya now....I used to pack my S10 down like a gypsy van w/ all my shit and drive back . Yeah, if I was trucking that far w/ that many valuables, I'd want it w/ in reach as well. I guess under the seat or between the seat and console it goes!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
BTW, I hope you cut up her card(s) already. Giving a woman a credit card is like giving a monkey a loaded machine gun. It's just fucking irresponsible.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Word. I made the drive when I moved out here without one, and again when i rode my 600RR to vegas from dallas... but shit got weird once and that was enough to make me uncomfortable and wishful i had some protection.

I'll just pack it next to me with a clip in the center console.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 PM
BANNED

when i moved here i just carried it in the center console with a mag close by. cmon, i drove from the Rio in vegas to denton nonstop, you can make it in one trip and save the hotel money for beer when you get here

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

I'll retain my sanity.. I can't do more than 10 hours in the drivers seat before i start getting itchy and thinking homicidal thoughts.

It's like 50$ for a hotel room.. no biggie. Bed to sleep in and some grub in the morning is worth it to me.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 07:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'll retain my sanity.. I can't do more than 10 hours in the drivers seat before i start getting itchy and thinking suicidal thoughts.

It's like 50$ for a hotel room.. no biggie. Bed to sleep in and some grub in the morning is worth it to me.

20 hr drive aint that bad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement