7.62x39 or 54 ? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

7.62x39 or 54 ?

Well I have broken my rule already of only one gun a year ( 3 now ), and well I just bought a Saiga 12. Now I want to get the ball rolling on getting a 7.62x39 or 54, I am just not sure about the 54. I have had a few of the 39's in the past and have been debating on a 54 since the ammo is a great deal cheaper and well its not something you see every day, at least around here.

So I guess my questions are is there any real advantage to either in the reliability area or parts like high cap mags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Old Fart

big difference between those rounds.

7.62x39 is like a really slow .30 caliber. Only slightly faster than .30-30.
I think th 7.62x39 uses .310 caliber bullet. Not same as American .30 calibers.

7.62x54r is like .30-06, mainly for bolt-action Moison-Nagant(sp?)

How much are those SVT-40, are they available?

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT98SVO
How much are those SVT-40, are they available?
$700 for a good shooter and yes they're availible.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

I have been looking at a Dragunov copy but that is a good deal of cash for the gun. I know there is a good deal of difference in the calibers but I was not sure if they offer anything larger then a 10rd clip for the 54's and if there is any performance issues with guns like the Dragunov copy. The more I think about it I may just get an AK chambered in 5.45x39 since the guns and ammo are both dirt cheap right now and have something fun to shoot.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:23 PM
butt raping a troll @ AMS

good luck finding 7.62x54. what are you trying to do? why do you want weapons in all these different chamberings? do you already have a .308 (7.62x51) or a 30-06 (7.62x63)? the mission defines the gear.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

In a nut shell I am a fan and collector of German/Russian guns. I have owned several 7.62x39 guns and the price of ammo for them has gotten too high to have fun with. I will not buy a gun to just set in a safe thought I will shoot it, I have a large farm to do so and love every minute of it. I do have a few 30-06 guns in various styles but as I said I just have a thing for the German and Russian guns and would like to add to my collection before they get harder to find and get higher.

My main thought in getting one chambered in the 5.45x39 is because the ammo and guns their self are dirt cheap right now when you compare that to a 223 or 7.62x39 chambered gun and the rounds.

I know the .54 will be a lil more pricey and I know some of the hardcore "sniper" collectors laugh at the old SVD's but with it being a rim fire to me it adds a bit of a cool factor. You can find the Dragunov Copies in the 675-800 range depending on what all you really want and the surplus 7.62x54 rounds are still out there and not priced stupid high yet.

I ask about the reliability on them because when it gets hard to find the parts I do not want to be stuck with something that I will have to either make or have made if something were to fail.

Thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 07:49 PM
FIRE!

I dont see you having any "reliability" problems with either round. Like said it depends on what you wanna do with it. If you're looking for hi-cap mags the 7.62x39. Wanting to hit stuff beyond 350 yards or so, 54r. jmo though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement