Ruger ?'s.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Red face Ruger ?'s.... **Should change to Handgun ?'s**

I'm going to be getting a handgun for Christmas, or $$ towards one. It's main purpose will be for recreational shooting at a range or on family land (cheaper ammo), but I also don't have a gun for home defense. I know 9mm isn't what most people choose for home defense, but that's not the main reason I'm getting it.

I'm really leaning towards the Ruger P95 or P89 for a couple of reasons: I can get the P89 new for $380 or the P95 for $290-310, depending on how it's equipped. I've done a lot of interweb research and the P95 seems like a reliable/dependable gun. I would kinda prefer a Glock, but I haven't seen them anywhere new for under $470ish.

Anyone have any opinions on either of those guns? I don't know as much about the P89 and I really like how the P95 looks.

Any other comments/suggestions? ...keep in mind I want to put rounds thru it on a regular basis.

Last edited by gspfunk; 12-05-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 03:04 PM
butt raping a troll @ AMS

used 3rd gen glocks can be had for around $400. a few years ago i picked up a second gen G19 from bachman for $330.

ive never shot a P95, but the P89 i shot i was pleasantly surprised by. it was really accurate, reliable, and overall really pleasant to shoot. ive seen them used on gunbroker for well under $300. thats the route id go with a P89.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Time Served

i just sold a like new ruger p95 on here for 300. It was a good reliable gun but its a 300 plastic pistol so there could be some better designs with them. The hold for the slide spring was poorly designed so if you were not careful when cleaning it could pop off. However the pistol worked flawlessly for over 500 round of crappy CCI ammo never once a jam or misfire. For the price i would say go for it just be careful when you break it down to clean to make sure the retention piece for the spring stays on.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 03:33 PM

ruger

If you want reliable cheap nice and lots of power and concealable get a S&W Airlite revolver 330.00 bucks. I dont care for Rugers much. I would save up an extra 100 bucks.And also 9mm is fine they are cheap to fire and are a NATO round.If a 22 will kill someone a 9mm will to.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Time Served

my first gun was a p89. It was cheap and fun to shoot.

However once you start to shoot your friends gun's you will wind up wanting something nicer.

Silver 2005 Mustang GT
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Time Served

I have a p89 with hogue grips and it will shoot anything I throw at it flawlessly.

2009 STRYKER BLUE pontiYACK G8 GT stock for now

03 AZURE MACH1 305 rwhp, 325RWTQ TUNED BY [email protected]<----------------------------SOLD

06 TRUEBLUE SUPERCREW F150 5.4L
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Time Served

on the slide spring on the p89 is there the same small ring at the end of the rod holding the string just curious if they are set up the same
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Lifer

I had a P97 (.45) and the P95. I loved both of them and I'll probably pick up a 97 again sometime. Very accurate out of the box for the money. Go for it.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

What about the CZ 100? Sorry to be so wishy-washy, but I'm trying to make my first handgun purchase count. I'm trying to stay as close to $350 (under is better) as I can and I found the CZ 100 at sportingarms.com for $364.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:16 PM
butt raping a troll @ AMS

the only way to truely make your first pistol decision "count" would be to put thousands of rounds down range through tons of different models and calibers. your needs will probably change. i remember at one point shooting an HK USP compact and not being impressed. then a couple years later i shot one again and couldnt believe how well it shot. it was because i got a lot better and put tons and tons of rounds down range in those years. now my only centerfire pistol is an HK USP compact. it depends on what your needs are and what you like. only you can determine that. and it takes time, ammo and experience.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Saved

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddragger28
If you want reliable cheap nice and lots of power and concealable get a S&W Airlite revolver 330.00 bucks. I dont care for Rugers much. I would save up an extra 100 bucks.And also 9mm is fine they are cheap to fire and are a NATO round.If a 22 will kill someone a 9mm will to.
The early P85s barely got edged out by the Barretta 92 back in the 80s as the issue military 9mm when they phased out the 45......
I own a p85 and p90, the 85 is a 1988 manufactured gun with at least 10k rounds through it, it has NEVER jammed, shoots sub 2 inch groups at 25 yards, and is easy to clean and maintain. My heavy carry gun is the p90, probably 3k rounds through it, and again, digests anything I've ever ran through it, one jam, cheap assed blazer 230gr JHP. looked like a ripped case during manufacturing that I actually didn't see when I loaded the magazine. buy the 90, you won't regret it.

"Conform to his image" Romans 8:29
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspfunk
What about the CZ 100? Sorry to be so wishy-washy, but I'm trying to make my first handgun purchase count. I'm trying to stay as close to $350 (under is better) as I can and I found the CZ 100 at sportingarms.com for $364.
CZ's are outstanding guns for the price. Look for a P75 P01. They are semi compact, deadly accurate, VERY reliable and can be had in the sub $400 range if you look hard enough. Yeah it's green but so far, it's the best gun I have shot and will never give it up.

I believe there is a place in Mesquite that is a CZ dealer.

www.dallasguns.com will get you a link to their store.

Well, went to their link, I guess they are $489 now!! I bought mine in late 06 for $329 at the gun show...

Another good starter gun would be a Beretta PX4 Storm Positive safety, plastic frame and holds 17+1 in 9mm.

Don't let price drive your decision. Go to a store and see what feels good in your hand then see if you can rent it at the range and see if you like shooting it. Bullet trap in Plano is perfect for this. I was looking at a Taurus PT145 a few weeks back and went up there to test shoot it.....so glad I did because it sucked balls.

Good luck.

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

That's a great suggestion....I've been to the bullet trap before. That's where I shot my first Ruger and liked it. I may have to head that way this weekend sometime.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 07:36 AM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
That's a great suggestion....I've been to the bullet trap before. That's where I shot my first Ruger and liked it. I may have to head that way this weekend sometime.
I think i am going up there around 5:30 or 6:00 after work to go blow off some steam...also want to try a glock in .45...

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:07 AM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97
CZ's are outstanding guns for the price. Look for a P75 P01. They are semi compact, deadly accurate, VERY reliable and can be had in the sub $400 range if you look hard enough. Yeah it's green but so far, it's the best gun I have shot and will never give it up.

I believe there is a place in Mesquite that is a CZ dealer.
Scrhamm's Ammo & Weapons, or something like that. He's always at the Market Hall show with a huge table.

I'm a big CZ cheerleader. I LOVE my 75 P-01... and I actually like the green

I got it from Schramm's with 4 mags for $379 about a year ago.

I've had one FTE, but it was with shitty blazer ammo. Other than that it has run flawless, and is super accurate.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:12 AM
African Booty Scratcher

i bought a p95 on my 21st birthday i think. $259 at a gun show in belton. 11 yrs later not a problem with it.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I did a little more internet research (not as good as in person, I know) and I'm more enlightened on the differences, but worried about buyer's remorse if I don't get a better gun (CZ, etc.). I do better understand single/double action triggers now

I like the CZ P01, that some suggested, so I looked into it more. I've found it locally (online, but at a Lewisville store) for $469. Then I found a CZ 100 for $364, but I read a couple of reviews saying it wasn't on par w/ the normal CZ quality (although that could have improved over time).

I am going to the Bullet Trap Friday afternoon to rent/test some out and see if they feel/shoot as good as they look, so I should be better off afterwards. I still think the Ruger P95 will be a great gun at a great price (pending having actually shot it), but do you guys think the CZ P01 is worth the extra $200 (and possibly having to wait longer to get it)??

BTW, thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far (and for putting up w/ my ignorance)!!
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Saved

You'll get a better gun if you buy a Ruger, I don't like the feel of the CZs I've handled( I bought a CZ 75 back when they were 100 dollars at the guns shows, and dumped it less than 6 months later, was finicky and uncomfortable to shoot). And you're buying American manufactured guns too, not imported stuff....

"Conform to his image" Romans 8:29
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
but do you guys think the CZ P01 is worth the extra $200 (and possibly having to wait longer to get it)??

BTW, thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far (and for putting up w/ my ignorance)!!
Personally, I would wait and get the CZ....but ultimately it comes down to preference, feel and how YOU shoot with it. Everyone has their preference. A Lot of people won't shoot or own anything other than a kimber but I can't stand the feel of one. I wouldn't mind carrying one of their ultra carry models in the light alloy, but there would have to be one hell of a modified grip on it for me to enjoy firing one.

bullet trap has the CZ's in the test fire case so give it a try!

PS, I might also soon be interested in selling my Beretta PX4. I really have no need for a second gun and could use the money. $400, probably 200 rounds through it.

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 09:47 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
I really have no need for a second gun
Blasphemy!

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked71Bowtie
Blasphemy!
I know...but hey, I could buy $400 in ammo!!!

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Did you have any issues w/ it? Maybe we could meet up at the Bullet Trap sometime and put some rounds thru it...
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
Did you have any issues w/ it? Maybe we could meet up at the Bullet Trap sometime and put some rounds thru it...

Who are you talking to?

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Who are you talking to?
My bad...I didn't quote you. I was talking about your PX4. What model is it?
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
My bad...I didn't quote you. I was talking about your PX4. What model is it?
A PX4! go get another cup of coffee man!

Px4 Storm,Type F JXF9F21 Double/Single Superluminova Plastic 9mm 7.59 4 17rd $575

www.berettausa.com

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Cool! I looked at them earlier and liked the PX4F...I don't want to deal w/ a DAO every shot!!
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
Cool! I looked at them earlier and liked the PX4F...I don't want to deal w/ a DAO every shot!!
Only on the first shot for mine...single after that and it's a LIGHT pull too! Takes a little getting used to but once you do, the thing is damn accurate.

Honestly, only reason I am thinking of selling it is that I want to get a Saiga 12ga AK based shotgun.

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

That's cool. It's on the higher side of what I want to spend, but I think it would be worth it for a quality gun that I shoot well with. I'll let you know something more after tomorrow/this weekend.

I think the main 4 guns I'm looking at renting tomorrow are: CZ 100, CZ P-01, Ruger P95, and the Beretta PX4 Storm. I may shoot another one or 2, but I'm hoping to at least get some rounds thru those.

I'm pumped, I haven't shot a pistol in a while!! My fiance's going w/ me, too, so I'm hoping her taste is similar to mine.....
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 07:29 PM
T-MINUS

Some people really dislike the Rugers, every one I have ever owned or fired was flawless.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Shot a few today....

I rented a PX4 storm type G, Ruger P95, and a CZ P-01 at the Bullet Trap this afternoon. My fiance went w/ me b/c I wanted to make sure she was comfortable w/ them and would want to go shoot w/ me whenever I choose one.

I shot the Ruger P95 first since it seemed to be the front runner so far. I liked everything about it and shot fairly well w/ it (keep in mind I haven't shot a handgun in 9 or 10 years). The grip was a little larger than the others, but still fit my hand well. My fiance had to use her other hand to hit the slide release, so she didn't like it that well.

The CZ P-01 felt the best in my hand, but didn't really stand out other than that. The sights were off and it shot down and to the right like a mofo. It handled about the same as far as shooting went.

The PX4 Storm was the winner today. We both love how it felt and shot, and my fiance picked it as her favorite. I like that the back of the grip and the clip release are interchangable for different sized pieces for different size hands/fingers. Now I just gotta do a little looking and talk to Aggie97 .

When I mentioned I wanted a gun to go shoot regularly, the guy at the Bullet Trap suggested the Springfield XD9. I haven't heard much about it, but neither of us were diggin it.

Last edited by gspfunk; 12-07-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement