New home defense weapon - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

New home defense weapon

So I was telling you guys that I was making a trade for a new shotgun. Well here it is, it's a Maverick 88 Field model. The 28" barrel was replaced with n 18" barrel. The only other things im planning on getting for it is some sort of night sight, a tac light holder, and then a Knoxx SpecOps Stock.

Here's a pic of it

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Lifer

nice
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Rolling with the homies

Nice. I think a good shotgun should be a part of everybody's "gun stash". Tac Light Holder is a good idea. Not sure about Knoxx stock but I'd have to see how it works out in practice not just theory. And I'm not sure if I'd go with night sight (what are you going to be shooting so accurately at night that you need night sights for?).

Me personally. I'd go with a side saddle, Surefire setup, and some sort of full stock with a pistol grip so I can hold it easily with one hand if I needed to keep the other free (like tucked up with one arm and using the free hand to load shells or use a cell phone).

Anyway, just my thoughts.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 08:45 PM

ns

You really dont need nite sights just get a good light and use it for an aim point refference.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
Nice. I think a good shotgun should be a part of everybody's "gun stash". Tac Light Holder is a good idea. Not sure about Knoxx stock but I'd have to see how it works out in practice not just theory. And I'm not sure if I'd go with night sight (what are you going to be shooting so accurately at night that you need night sights for?).

Me personally. I'd go with a side saddle, Surefire setup, and some sort of full stock with a pistol grip so I can hold it easily with one hand if I needed to keep the other free (like tucked up with one arm and using the free hand to load shells or use a cell phone).

Anyway, just my thoughts.
I'm definitely going with a tac light holder. As far as the stock goes the Knoss stock seems like a good idea, i'd just have to shoot one before buying it though. It's basically a smiliar design to what Bennelli has. I've also seen you can get collapsible AR stocks with a pistol grip for them too. As far as the sights go I don't really mean like night sights, but something that's highly visible at night like a fiber optic to put down at the end of the barrell. Cause the little gold pin at the end probably doesn't show up real well at night.

Jose, you mentioned a full stock with a pistol grip, is there any advantage to having a full stock opposed to a collapsible stock?

Also when you said a surefire setup, are you meaning with a SureFire tac light? I've actually got one of the Pentagon Lights, i just need a mount for it. I currently this model http://www.pentagonlight.com/item_detail.cfm__id.144

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

Last edited by MotoMan; 11-30-2007 at 11:11 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Lifer

Very Nice...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 07:51 AM
PAN

Yes, he was referring to the SureFire line of lights, though the one that you have looks to be a pretty nice light in itself. Guess I'll be looking at the LED lights again as the battery consumption on that blows my SureFire Commander away...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
I'm definitely going with a tac light holder. As far as the stock goes the Knoss stock seems like a good idea, i'd just have to shoot one before buying it though. It's basically a smiliar design to what Bennelli has. I've also seen you can get collapsible AR stocks with a pistol grip for them too. As far as the sights go I don't really mean like night sights, but something that's highly visible at night like a fiber optic to put down at the end of the barrell. Cause the little gold pin at the end probably doesn't show up real well at night.

Jose, you mentioned a full stock with a pistol grip, is there any advantage to having a full stock opposed to a collapsible stock?

Also when you said a surefire setup, are you meaning with a SureFire tac light? I've actually got one of the Pentagon Lights, i just need a mount for it. I currently this model http://www.pentagonlight.com/item_detail.cfm__id.144
You can get a heat sheild with ghost ring sights pretty cheap, $25-30, looks pretty slick and functional...

I wouldnt worry TOO much about sights in your house at night. Youre either going to be too close for comfort and wont need any sights, or them darting around the corner and out the door, which unless you want some jailtime, you cant shoot them...

My home defense is either my XD40 or XD9SC, both within arms reach. Id rather not let them know im coming with the obligatory "racking" the shotty...

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Lifer

Quote:
So I was telling you guys that I was making a trade for a new shotgun. Well here it is, it's a Maverick 88 Field model. The 28" barrel was replaced with n 18" barrel. The only other things im planning on getting for it is some sort of night sight, a tac light holder, and then a Knoxx SpecOps Stock.

Here's a pic of it
Sights aren't going to help with that short barrel. You won't hurt anything unless it's inside 20yds. Perfect for home defense though. When your freaked out by a home intruder, it easy to miss with a pistol. Shotgun just point and shoot. you'll hit'em.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

I'm just wanting something down on the end of the barrel.

What sort of shells would you guys recommend? I've been told to go with buckshot.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:

IMO, I'd probably shoot a few boxes of shells of whatever you are going to use for your home defense load and see how the recoil feels. They also sell reduced recoil loads and I hear it's pretty popular although I've yet to try any.

IMO, I think the Knoxx stock is overkill unless you plan on shooting the shotgun alot. What I want to go with is a full stock with a pistol grip and the stock is removable (screws/bolts in). I feel having the full stock with a pistol grip gives the user more control if you have to fire or hold it one handed. The removable stock would be for storage only. I've fired a pistol grip shotgun before with bird and buck shot. I don't see any real advantage to keeping it that way in normal situations.

My Winchester Defender 1300 has the Tru-Glo front sight and I can see where that might be a good feature. I just can't see myself needing or wanting to spend money on the Ghost Ring sights or night sights that glow in the dark.

I'd gladly buy a Surefire flashlight setup before I bought any of the above accessories if it was more affordable It's the one feature that I feel gives the most advantage in a home defense situation, the ability to blind an intruder momentarily or identify a threat without exposing yourself to to much danger (i.e. fumbling around with a regular flashlight and turning it on and off).

Anyway, I can't post a link to the pistol grip stock I want from work because it's blocked. I'm sure you can find it easily on a Google search. I need to get off my ass and buy it though since it's certainly not expensive and I have no excuse for not already having it.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I'm just wanting something down on the end of the barrel.

What sort of shells would you guys recommend? I've been told to go with buckshot.
I have the same gun, the longest shot in my house would be about 30-35 feet. I have high brass 6's in mine, no need to shoot through walls or have a stray go to the neighbors house.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbullerjr
I have the same gun, the longest shot in my house would be about 30-35 feet. I have high brass 6's in mine, no need to shoot through walls or have a stray go to the neighbors house.

Do they offer a magazine extension tube for it? I've heard they do but taking a look at where it would be put on the threading is totally different.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Do they offer a magazine extension tube for it? I've heard they do but taking a look at where it would be put on the threading is totally different.
I haven't even looked, if they get past 5 rounds of 12 gauge and 15 rounds of 45 acp...I guess they can just kill me. LOL

edit...just took a look at mine, I don't see how it would be possible with the way the barrel attaches to the mag tube
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbullerjr
I haven't even looked, if they get past 5 rounds of 12 gauge and 15 rounds of 45 acp...I guess they can just kill me. LOL

edit...just took a look at mine, I don't see how it would be possible with the way the barrel attaches to the mag tube

Yeah I didn't think that you could. I'm going to use 2 3/4 shells in mine.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I use BBB 4" in my 10.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
IMO, I'd probably shoot a few boxes of shells of whatever you are going to use for your home defense load and see how the recoil feels. They also sell reduced recoil loads and I hear it's pretty popular although I've yet to try any.

IMO, I think the Knoxx stock is overkill unless you plan on shooting the shotgun alot. What I want to go with is a full stock with a pistol grip and the stock is removable (screws/bolts in). I feel having the full stock with a pistol grip gives the user more control if you have to fire or hold it one handed. The removable stock would be for storage only. I've fired a pistol grip shotgun before with bird and buck shot. I don't see any real advantage to keeping it that way in normal situations.

My Winchester Defender 1300 has the Tru-Glo front sight and I can see where that might be a good feature. I just can't see myself needing or wanting to spend money on the Ghost Ring sights or night sights that glow in the dark.

I'd gladly buy a Surefire flashlight setup before I bought any of the above accessories if it was more affordable It's the one feature that I feel gives the most advantage in a home defense situation, the ability to blind an intruder momentarily or identify a threat without exposing yourself to to much danger (i.e. fumbling around with a regular flashlight and turning it on and off).

Anyway, I can't post a link to the pistol grip stock I want from work because it's blocked. I'm sure you can find it easily on a Google search. I need to get off my ass and buy it though since it's certainly not expensive and I have no excuse for not already having it.

Here are my options for stocks:

This stock just looks huge though and I don't quite like the slant on it. But I bet that when you put it right up to your shoulder, it probably puts your eyes right down the middle of the barrell.

I'm not sure what to think about this folding stock....

This seems to be one of the best choices though because you can add the saddle on the side of it. I also like how it collapses.

Let me know if you had another stock in mind.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 07:12 AM
Arbeit Macht Frei

I like the first option, and 3rd option a close 2nd.
I do like the M4 type extendable stocks, but I havent seen any for a shotty yet made out of metal, and im not really a fan of the plastic on that model, a fixed stock doesnt bother me as much if its plastic...
They also make stocks like the first one, that also hold 3-(5?) shells in the stock, kinda beats have the little sling over the stock....

Be sure to check and make sure what youre looking at will fit that Maverick, I know alot of them are for the Moss500/Rem870/Win1300, and alot of the stocks ive seen say specifically not for Mavericks....

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Time Served

heres mine its a Remington 870 I got the stock from Cabelas. Josh

Last edited by one slow 5.0; 09-24-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement